2012-2013 BOSS 302

Official lap time thread?

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/13, 06:14 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Further
Wow, that's smokin. I can go sub 2:20 pushing it and have gone 2:16.xx once. I'd love to see your lines and mods. Maybe we can make each other faster.
Here is my mod list http://www.gogridwave.com/bossmods.html but right now I'm adding a 68" gstream wing and AST 5200 grand am coilovers. Of course, driver mod always being updated!

Here is my (abbreviated) tip sheet for VIR, but I still need to shave 6-8 seconds off my time.

1. You can take turn 1 in a constant radius, late apex. Lines will vary wildly on turn 1. Driving close to the limit on this turn will shave seconds off your times.
2. Turn 3 should be around 70mph
3. Turn 4 should be 48-50 with heavy trail braking. Take the inside curb to help rotation
4. Entering the rising esses at about 125-130mph. Steady throttle into first turn, back on throttle after car settles over first hump. If you're not fearing for your life through this part of the track you're not going fast enough.
5. Late brake before turn 10, do not turn early or you will drift out. Turn 10 speed about 90mph
6. Oak Tree should be taken at 48-50mph using inside curb if possible. Taking this turn at higher speed will have the biggest impact on your time (in seconds!).
7. End of the back straight I lift off the gas at brake marker 2 and ease onto the brake at marker 1 then into threshold braking (you better have a maxed out brake system and aero to pull this off. Also, if you don't have the 302r race ABS module, then back your brake zone up) while pointing straight uphill, back into trail braking into next right turn. Full throttle after that.
8. Lift slightly before turn in before Hog pen (brake tap ok), then, full throttle mid way through hog pen after car settles from the downhill turn.

I run these times with a softer suspension setting at VIR. On tokico D's I ran the front at -3 turns and the rear at -2.5 otherwise the front would push coming out of oak tree.
Use oak tree as your test turn for setup. If you get corner exit pushing, soften your front settings. the stock settings most people run on bosses (5 front, 4 rear) probably won't get you the fastest times especially if you run slicks and a front swaybar.

Last edited by DGRacing; 9/23/13 at 01:52 PM.
Old 9/23/13, 05:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DGRacing
Here is my mod list http://www.gogridwave.com/bossmods.html but right now I'm adding a 68" gstream wing and AST 5200 grand am coilovers. Of course, driver mod always being updated!

Here is my (abbreviated) tip sheet for VIR, but I still need to shave 6-8 seconds off my time.

1. You can take turn 1 in a constant radius, late apex. Lines will vary wildly on turn 1. Driving close to the limit on this turn will shave seconds off your times.
2. Turn 3 should be around 70mph
3. Turn 4 should be 48-50 with heavy trail braking. Take the inside curb to help rotation
4. Entering the rising esses at about 125-130mph. Steady throttle into first turn, back on throttle after car settles over first hump. If you're not fearing for your life through this part of the track you're not going fast enough.
5. Late brake before turn 10, do not turn early or you will drift out. Turn 10 speed about 90mph
6. Oak Tree should be taken at 48-50mph using inside curb if possible. Taking this turn at higher speed will have the biggest impact on your time (in seconds!).
7. End of the back straight I lift off the gas at brake marker 2 and ease onto the brake at marker 1 then into threshold braking (you better have a maxed out brake system and aero to pull this off. Also, if you don't have the 302r race ABS module, then back your brake zone up) while pointing straight uphill, back into trail braking into next right turn. Full throttle after that.
8. Lift slightly before turn in before Hog pen (brake tap ok), then, full throttle mid way through hog pen after car settles from the downhill turn.

I run these times with a softer suspension setting at VIR. On tokico D's I ran the front at -3 turns and the rear at -2.5 otherwise the front would push coming out of oak tree.
Use oak tree as your test turn for setup. If you get corner exit pushing, soften your front settings. the stock settings most people run on bosses (5 front, 4 rear) probably won't get you the fastest times especially if you run slicks and a front swaybar.
Thank you for the response. You have a nice healthy set of add ons. That AST setup is supposed to be nice. I'd love a nice wing as well, but I'm running on the street too. I'm a bit surprised you haven't gone for a Watts link. Guess I know less than I thought.*

My list is decent for a street setup. I'm missing a number of things on your list, including the driver mod, which I'm working on.*I've got a decent suspension set up with Koni Yellows, T springs, LCA, CC plates, DBA rotors etc.*

I'm missing
Toyo slicks - I use continental or Grand am scrubs.
Termec transmission - probably wont go there.
Kooks exhaust - I need a street setup
WC splitter - I need this, just haven't dropped the hammer yet.
Ball jt, Bumb steer, 3rd link - not going any lower, so I'm skipping this
Drive shaft single piece - not interested
Tune - not interested.

As far as the course goes, your instructions are comprehensive and will take time to absorb, especially the speed data.

Turn 1 - i take it as a late apex, hitting the first and second curbs before really stomping on the gas and tracking out, beyond the discolored darker asphalt.

70 MPH on turn three is def faster than my pace. NASCAR turn, I hit mid track, and with turn three is one big sweeper. Rotation around three is key to going fast there.

50 MPH on four is way faster than my usual pace. I force myself to be patient on this turn, to avoid turning in too early.*

If you're doing over 125 MPH at the entry to the Esses, then you turned in on 5a and hit WOT soon thereafter. 5a is the start of the "straight" to the top of the Esses. I lift just before 5a and ride the green gators. No brake.

I can't go over 125 on the entry to the Esses, not at my level. It's pretty insane in our car flying over that bump, jumping the green gators, and sliding side to side, all on a live rear axel.

Turn 10 I'm in the high 70s I believe. I've seen too many wrecks and slides in person, and on video there.*

I will definitely work on speed at oak tree. Sounds like I can pickup some time there. Thanks for the tip on setting up my suspension based on the exit. I do run square slicks and a Strano front set to medium with rear shocks slightly softer. Finding a nice happy medium is tough. I'm hitting 140 to 145 on the straight. I typically brake at 3 or 4. I'm already going through DTC 60s in one weekend. Cracked a rotor last event too. I do veer left up the hill at 14 before the right turn down carousel. It's steeper towards the left, and helps to scrub speed. I'm careful to avoid braking too much. Many make this mistake and have to accelerate again before the right turn.

I make sure to exploit the compression zone midway through Hogpen.*

I'll make note of your speeds, but I'm not sure I'll ever hit those marks.*

Chris Cobetto's fast lap on VIR full *was in the 2:07.xx range, but his suspension setup was sick.*

You may benefit from enhanced driving with Tom Long or Mike Skeen during a Trackdaze event. I try to review Tom's videos around VIR full in various vehicles.

I'm going to the Chin event in October. If you're going, let me know. I'm going to be in the green group though.
Old 9/23/13, 08:23 PM
V6 Member

I should be there for the Chin event. Just look for a yellow boss 302 with Gigantic wing.
My car is getting prepped by the same shop that handles Chris' car. I'm not fully stripped yet, so still carrying some extra interior weight. DTC60's are the way to go. For every couple of miles per hour you go faster out of oak tree you can pick up a second or more in lap time...Turn hard and aim for the rightside curb, nailing it and hammer on the throttle once you're up on the curb. Tune your suspension so the car will take the throttle there and you'll be surprised how much time you shred.

Last edited by DGRacing; 9/23/13 at 08:25 PM.
Old 9/24/13, 05:34 AM
GT Member

Cool. I've got my homework. See you there.