Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Jimmy's Boss Thread

Search this Thread

Old 5/12/12, 09:07 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I've driven between SLC and CA along I-80 a couple of times and it's boring.

A long road trip for my Boss will be the 200 miles to Laguna Seca a couple of times this Summer.
Old 5/12/12, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Great writeup Jimmy! You did it how it is supposed to be done.... That's a trip you will never forget.

Miller is a world class facility. I can't wait to attend BTA. I have heard nothing but great things about the whole experience.... I am also glad to hear you had such a great time at the WC race. It is a completely different thing to watch a race than it is to be a part of it.... I attended the last race at Road Atlanta last year and had a similar experience. I recommend anyone to get out to one of these events if you can.

I need to start planning my adventure....
Old 5/14/12, 08:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great story Jimmy and it looks like you had a fun time. That's pretty cool you timed it with the race and really made a great vacation out of the whole thing. That was cool you posted the pic of Sandie Capaldi as I just ordered my new suspension from her. I've talked to her on the phone several times but it's nice to put a face with a name. They seem like really great people.
Old 5/14/12, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fuhrius
especially after using all the public bathrooms.

seriously, though, I have the same drive you have Rick and I 'might' have except for the potential snow across the pass on 80. I do want to do an extended road trip with the boss at some point...mine seems to be begging me to do so.
I took mine to Las Vegas and it was a great car for the trip. I highly recommend a road trip, and mountains make it even better!
Old 5/14/12, 04:44 PM
GT Member

Thanks a million for the kind comments, guys! I will try to have the full gallery up soon.

Mark, it was great to meet you, as well. I hope to see you down here later in the year (if we can keep Alec from playing with the tires). I have already sent Stuart my resume.

Jimmy
Old 5/14/12, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Enjoyed the write up Jimmy. I was surprised when I was at TA that nobody else drove there. I figured that it was the best excuse in the world to take a road trip in the Boss.

19 hours straight, sans fuel stops, for us. Rode great with shocks set at 1, and the mileage wasn't too bad either. 23-25ish, depending on cruising speed.
Old 5/15/12, 06:18 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dean_acheson
I figured that it was the best excuse in the world to take a road trip in the Boss.
It is. That's why I am here preaching the gospel.

3183 total trip miles
22.5 mpg
2/3 shock settings
0 tickets

I haven't calculated my fuel bill yet, but I ran 87 to save money (normally run 93, which flows in abundance here in Texas). Figured I didn't need the nth performance just to cruise. Anyway, it doesn't matter what it cost, because as the well-known commercial says, the experience was...priceless.

Jimmy
Old 5/15/12, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hadn't calculated fuel either, but I stuck with 91, because I'm odd like that. I seem to remember just over 3050 miles, and 40 hours drive time.

I didn't get any tickets either, which would have been embarassing. I about doubled the miles on the case, since I don't put many on it on a daily basis.

One big change since getting back, I sit alot closer, after the admonishment of driving with your arms at a 90 degree angle. I was amazed how less tired I was on the drive back.
Old 6/1/12, 07:30 AM

Hey Jimmy, I'm Crash, currently out of San Antonio, TX. Real name is Carl but I'm in the Air Force and sometimes we get callsigns...

I'm enjoying your blog posts on here-- particularly amused when you personify your car as a tatooed, bipolar girl. Awesome.

2013 Boss 302 #232 joined my household last week. I've wanted a Mustang since 1985, when I rode in a friend's car-- with his Mom driving. Petite little librarian-esk woman, who said, "I like to hear the engine at 75 mph." She didn't mention that was in 2nd gear...

Fast forward a couple decades, and I found myself reading about the 2012 Boss 302... I wanted one. Drove to the local dealership (was stationed in Ft Walton Beach, FL at the time) to gawk at the PW model they'd just gotten in, build number 0044. Sweet! Unfortunately, the car was *just* out of reach at the time... Divorce can do that. But you know why divorce is so damned expensive?

Cuz it's worth it.

Not the end of the world, I was driving a 2005 BMW 330Ci with the Performance Pkg-- a sublime and highly differentiated version of an already superb car. I'd ordered that car while stationed in Germany and had it there for 2.5 years before bringing it back to the States with me. Ah yes, that car saw the 155 mph speed limiter many, many times. The car was fantastic! I'd driven a wolf in sheep's clothing previously: a 2003 Honda Accord EX V6 6MT. The car was legitimately fast. The BMW was a wolf in Armani.

About a year & a half later, recently remarried to an amazing woman, I was again looking at the Boss... Simultaneously, the stars aligned and I also had the oppurtunity to consider an M3. Oh decisions, decisions... I felt both amazed and humbled to even be considering these 2 cars!!

Then I drove each. The M3 is everything every drop of adoring ink spilled over countless car magazines says it is. If you need or want to seat 4 people, it is the pinnacle of personal conveyence for a driving enthusiast. A few days later..... I drove the Boss. A visceral experience in every sense.... Also far less costly, cheaper to insure, and even a little better on gas than the M3.... The decision was easy. I'd scratch that 27 year long itch to own a Mustang.

I found a buyer for my car in Houston, called the 2 dealers there that had a PW in stock... And made what was for me an easy kill, and for the salesman probably the easiest sale of his career. Drove my car to the buyer, he drove me to the dealership, and I made the 200 mile trip home in my new, as yet unnamed, Boss.

And here she is. At the gas station. Where I so often find myself now. My car is amazing, everything I expected and more, but she's never passed a filling station she didn't like.

She's a wolf in a mean, sexy wolf's clothing.

Cheers,

Crash
Attached Thumbnails Jimmy's Boss Thread-232.jpg  
Old 6/1/12, 07:34 AM
V6 Member

Congrats, crash! I'm up in Austin, have met Jimmy here. We need to all cruise out for some bbq this summer!
Old 6/1/12, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by GGGforce
Congrats, crash! I'm up in Austin, have met Jimmy here. We need to all cruise out for some bbq this summer!
Thanks! And count me in for bbq.
Old 6/7/12, 12:17 PM
GT Member

Hey, Crash! Sorry that I didn't see your post when it first came in. Great story you got there. I was also stationed in Germany when I was in the Air Force. It sounds like we have plenty to talk about over some 'Que. Let's see if we can get some locals together, before Texas does its "hot as the surface of Mercury" impression.

Looks like we have red, white, and blue cars ready to go.

Jimmy
Old 6/7/12, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy Pribble
Hey, Crash! Sorry that I didn't see your post when it first came in. Great story you got there. I was also stationed in Germany when I was in the Air Force. It sounds like we have plenty to talk about over some 'Que. Let's see if we can get some locals together, before Texas does its "hot as the surface of Mercury" impression.

Looks like we have red, white, and blue cars ready to go.

Jimmy
Haha awesome. Sounds like we've got the right cars for a photo op!