Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Brake upgrades for the track after reviews

Search this Thread

Old 2/29/12, 01:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dig-It Racing
Well shoot. I was just about to order my XP20/XP16 combo when you guys mentioned RP2/XP8. Which way to go?
IDK, carbotech told me the RP2 and XP10 are equivalent with the XP10 offering better modulation. However, the RP2 is an endurance pad made for longer pad life. i didn't want to drop $200 every other track day so i went with the RP2. i will tell you they had much better stopping power than the hawk HP+ i had on the car before. also my track is very hard on brakes and fluid, i'd say no fade here means the chance of fade anywhere for me isn't likely.
Old 2/29/12, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Kevin,
I asked the same question, since Rocketman is a big fan of XP20/16.
Mike Jr at Carbotech said XP20/XP16 are an option if you're running r-comp tires.
If not, XP10 or RP2. Since I'm running Nitto NT-05 tires, I went with RP2 and XP8.
If you have any questions about the offerings, call Carbotech, and Mike Jr will steer you to what choices you have. But call as soon as they open, or you may have a hard time getting him on the phone.
Old 2/29/12, 04:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the advice Wayne. I'll give him a call when I get home.

Shane, please keep us up to date with wear and performance observations.

Last edited by Dig-It Racing; 2/29/12 at 05:20 PM.
Old 3/1/12, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SD GT
Kevin,
I asked the same question, since Rocketman is a big fan of XP20/16.
Mike Jr at Carbotech said XP20/XP16 are an option if you're running r-comp tires.
If not, XP10 or RP2. Since I'm running Nitto NT-05 tires, I went with RP2 and XP8.
If you have any questions about the offerings, call Carbotech, and Mike Jr will steer you to what choices you have. But call as soon as they open, or you may have a hard time getting him on the phone.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Old 3/2/12, 01:38 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Seems most people went with the MM's. I am very happy with them myself.
Anybody try the Vorshlag CC plates?

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=274

They are out of stock now, but I've got awhile before I swap out my suspension and I've been thinking about giving them a try
Old 3/2/12, 06:08 AM
Bullitt Member

JSheier runs Vorshlag plates.

And Sam Strano lists them on his web site--email him to see if he has them in stock.
http://www.stranoparts.com/index.php

Last edited by SD GT; 3/2/12 at 06:09 AM.
Old 3/2/12, 07:46 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bob
Anybody try the Vorshlag CC plates?

They are out of stock now, but I've got awhile before I swap out my suspension and I've been thinking about giving them a try
I live about 2mins away from Vorshlag shop in Allen, TX
I've talked with Terry (Vorshlag owner) several times about their CC plates.
....I'm very excited about the ability to adjust at the track!!!!

I plan to install as soon as redesign is complete.
Old 3/2/12, 08:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vorshlag plates are well-made but very expensive compared to the alternatives.
Old 3/2/12, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JPC

Changing camber also changes toe. Cloud9 will only change camber when done with a full allignment to get toe re-set.
Not saying you can't do it at the track, but be sure you know how much your toe is changing when you do that.
Most of us run -2.0 to -2.7 camber on the streed with no problems.
Old 3/2/12, 09:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's not that big a deal.
Old 3/2/12, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SD GT
Changing camber also changes toe. Cloud9 will only change camber when done with a full alignment to get toe re-set.
Not saying you can't do it at the track, but be sure you know how much your toe is changing when you do that.
Most of us run -2.0 to -2.7 camber on the streed with no problems.
It's really not a big deal. One alignment check at street settings to get the toe where you want it, another check at 'track' setting to see where toe ends up.

Also, for the most part, negative camber isn't what chews up your tires, it's the associated excess toe-in or toe-out which drags the tire along the pavement. So running -3* on the street with zero toe will result in tire wear, but nowhere near as fast as running -3* of camber with 1/8" toe-out in the front.

And yes, I do run Vorshlag camber plates on my car. I'm biased (some of you know why), so I don't push them. I've also run Maximum Motorsport plates on three previous mustangs. Both are very good plates and I would recommend either over any other brands out there. Terry Fair (Vorshlag) and Jack Hidley (MM) are both very good at what they do and generate excellent products.

The next set of Vorshlag plates will have some improvements that I've talked to Terry about and that others who are using them have discussed. Plus, they will be more pretty (Terry is a pimp).

Last edited by JScheier; 3/2/12 at 10:03 AM.
Old 3/2/12, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Are you saying that negative camber is not what wears the inside of the tire faster than the outside?
Old 3/2/12, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by orng302
Are you saying that negative camber is not what wears the inside of the tire faster than the outside?
No... I didn't say that. What I said was,
negative camber isn't what chews up your tires, it's the associated excess toe-in or toe-out which drags the tire along the pavement. So running -3* on the street with zero toe will result in tire wear, but nowhere near as fast as running -3* of camber with 1/8" toe-out in the front.
Meaning, while most people who lower their car ***ume (edit: wow, you can't use the word a s sume) that it's the negative camber that wears out their tire so fast, it is usually their lack of removing the corresponding toe-out (front steer cars) or toe-in (rear steer cars) that accelerates the wear on the tires.

If you have zero* toe, and -3* of negative camber, yes, the inner edge of the tire will wear faster than the outer edge of the tire. However, if you have that same -3* of camber, and have not zeroed your toe settings, then you are effectively dragging the tire along the pavement which will lead to greater acceleration (and that cool choppy tread pattern) of tire wear.

Last edited by JScheier; 3/2/12 at 10:54 AM.
Old 3/2/12, 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Got it now.
Old 3/2/12, 12:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JScheier
No... I didn't say that. What I said was, Meaning, while most people who lower their car ***ume (edit: wow, you can't use the word a s sume) that it's the negative camber that wears out their tire so fast, it is usually their lack of removing the corresponding toe-out (front steer cars) or toe-in (rear steer cars) that accelerates the wear on the tires.

If you have zero* toe, and -3* of negative camber, yes, the inner edge of the tire will wear faster than the outer edge of the tire. However, if you have that same -3* of camber, and have not zeroed your toe settings, then you are effectively dragging the tire along the pavement which will lead to greater acceleration (and that cool choppy tread pattern) of tire wear.
John's absolutely right on this. That's why I just leave mine at (currently -2.7) and zero toe to preserve the street tires. When I would change it back and forth I always screwed up the toe and wrecked my street tires. So the bottom line is if you're going to change your camber at the track, you better be able to recalibrate your toe for the street without an alignment or you'll "chop" the street tires.
Old 3/2/12, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
John's absolutely right on this. That's why I just leave mine at (currently -2.7) and zero toe to preserve the street tires.
The funny thing (or the expensive thing) is that adding 1/2 a degree of camber, you don't see much in the way of accelerated wear. Add an 1/8" of toe out and BAM... tires are crap. That's the downside of the plates... unless you can guarantee that you can get them exactly back to where your street setting is, your toe will be off.
Old 3/2/12, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going to be getting my front end aligned shortly now that I have MM C/C plates installed and from what you guys are saying, I should be at 0 toe and 2.5 to 2.7 negative camber and that this setting will allow me to be able to drive it on the street also. How about the caster setting?
Old 3/2/12, 03:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by JScheier
And yes, I do run Vorshlag camber plates on my car. I'm biased (some of you know why), so I don't push them. I've also run Maximum Motorsport plates on three previous mustangs. Both are very good plates and I would recommend either over any other brands out there. Terry Fair (Vorshlag) and Jack Hidley (MM) are both very good at what they do and generate excellent products.

The next set of Vorshlag plates will have some improvements that I've talked to Terry about and that others who are using them have discussed. Plus, they will be more pretty (Terry is a pimp).
With the updated Vorshlag plates will you be able to dial in more camber beyond -2.8 to -3.0 before the springs bind? Not that I'll need it but I'm curious.
Old 3/2/12, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
With the updated Vorshlag plates will you be able to dial in more camber beyond -2.8 to -3.0 before the springs bind? Not that I'll need it but I'm curious.
Maybe yes... maybe no The new design 'should' allow you to move the strut top in further making the spring to strut tower the limiting factor.
Old 3/2/12, 06:22 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JPC

They do look top notch, epsecially with the oversized bearing and specific spring perches.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrades for the track after reviews