Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

To Boss or not to Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/12, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
Also, Snowman, did you add quarter window louvers to your car? If so, I think I might have seen it at Chili's on 287 on Oct 12th!
Hah nah man that wasn't me. No louvers here. I know the Chili's you're talking about though!
Old 11/23/12, 12:43 PM
GT Member

Mind if I hijack a little snowman? Congrats on the awesome purchase btw...

So, I too am in the "gt premium/track/recaros is not too far from the Boss" dilemma. My timetable is not urgent, I was planning on picking up the car in the spring after I could nail down a better chunk to put down on it.

Anyway, I love the whole idea of the boss that's been discussed at length already. However, one thing I just plain old wont be able to do is track the car more than once a year... If that. I live in Downeast Maine and the nearest track that might be hosting any significant events is Louden, a whopping 240miles away.(That's assuming they have an accessible road course in the infield?)

Im also wholly uninformed about what it takes to get involved with track day events as an armature. I'd love, and plan on, going to some Bondurant type stuff but I don't see myself ponying up the significant cash to get a real licence when I'm so far geographically removed from the sport.

So, being that I only have the resources to go "grand touring" around my local [friggin' amazing] scenery and back roads, one would think I should go with -the GT.

Other factors:

wife is not a fan of the look, thinks anything grabber/flame/electric blue with black is a "douche-mobile" (it's not her fault, it's been a long road of rearing her into a car person) she want something "classy" and does like the idea of the stearling grey gt prem I have picked out.

Money is a consideration, the Boss is at the very top of my budget.

---thoughts? Input? Rash close minded opinions? I'll hear them all.
Old 11/23/12, 12:50 PM
GT Member

Also, to elaborate, I am heavily researching my motors ports options for when I finally do get either car. I may have a few auto-x's here and there, but everything else I have to be planing to make a mini-vacation out of ...and that's if they're even open to me.
Old 11/23/12, 02:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say go with the GT in the color your wife likes, as long as you like it too. The Boss does not have all the creature comforts that the GT has. I bought the Boss because I wanted a limited edition car, something I would not see coming and going everywhere I went. Mine is a weekend driver. I have fun in it, but do not track it, at least not yet, and try to keep the mileage as low as possible. I live in Southern CA, so it is a car I can use year round, which I think makes the cost a little easier to swallow. I probably would have gotten a GT if I lived in a more northern State, or maybe an all wheel drive German car. The recaro seats are pretty comfortable!

Dave
Old 11/23/12, 02:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Snowman
Hah nah man that wasn't me. No louvers here. I know the Chili's you're talking about though!
A couple of nights ago, on Mid Cities Blvd. I was driving my wife's Avalanche, talked to a guy in a RR Boss at a stoplight.

Was that you Snowman?
Old 11/23/12, 11:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boss949
A couple of nights ago, on Mid Cities Blvd. I was driving my wife's Avalanche, talked to a guy in a RR Boss at a stoplight.

Was that you Snowman?
I don't think so. Where are all these RR bosses you guys are seeing!? I never see them, heh.
Old 11/23/12, 11:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fullahead
Mind if I hijack a little snowman? Congrats on the awesome purchase btw...

So, I too am in the "gt premium/track/recaros is not too far from the Boss" dilemma. My timetable is not urgent, I was planning on picking up the car in the spring after I could nail down a better chunk to put down on it.

Anyway, I love the whole idea of the boss that's been discussed at length already. However, one thing I just plain old wont be able to do is track the car more than once a year... If that. I live in Downeast Maine and the nearest track that might be hosting any significant events is Louden, a whopping 240miles away.(That's assuming they have an accessible road course in the infield?)

Im also wholly uninformed about what it takes to get involved with track day events as an armature. I'd love, and plan on, going to some Bondurant type stuff but I don't see myself ponying up the significant cash to get a real licence when I'm so far geographically removed from the sport.

So, being that I only have the resources to go "grand touring" around my local [friggin' amazing] scenery and back roads, one would think I should go with -the GT.

Other factors:

wife is not a fan of the look, thinks anything grabber/flame/electric blue with black is a "douche-mobile" (it's not her fault, it's been a long road of rearing her into a car person) she want something "classy" and does like the idea of the stearling grey gt prem I have picked out.

Money is a consideration, the Boss is at the very top of my budget.

---thoughts? Input? Rash close minded opinions? I'll hear them all.
I hope there's some feedback in the thread that will help you with your choice. It's funny that you've got your eye on the SG GT as that's the color I almost bought. I was leaning towards saddle interior though.
I'm going on 5 months of ownership now and I don't regret going with the Boss. I do wish leather and nav were available, but the enjoyment of driving the Boss more than makes up for it.
My decision ultimately came down to wanting something more "rare" (although I'm finding out in this thread that there are a few RR Bosses rolling around my area).
You really can't go wrong with either car.
If you can find someone with a Boss in your area that will let you test drive it I would suggest you try that. They really can't be judged without feeling and hearing them from the inside at speed.
Old 11/24/12, 06:19 AM
Cobra Member

I know this is a bit late Scott.....but congrats on that great choice hahaaa Any problems at all with the MT82? I am soooooo close to getting a 13' boss in Grabber Blue or RaceRed.....close as in a couple of weeks hahaaa. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks man.
Old 11/24/12, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

I've put 7k mostly (2/3 highway) on my '13 I picked up July 3rd and no problems at all. Only had the stock shifter in about 1400 miles before the MGW went in. GL picking the color, can't go wrong with either one.
Old 11/24/12, 11:02 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks buddy! I am confident i want the grabber blue, which is a hard color to find local. But the race red is my back up, i still love that color as well.
Old 11/24/12, 10:17 PM
Bullitt Member

The MT82 is not smooth in mine. It has a "crunchy" feel going into low gears sometimes, especially when cold. I've debated swapping in the MGW, but it hasn't been enough of a bother for me to mess with it so far.

Grabber Blue is awesome. If I were to choose another color I'd go with GTHIG.

Good luck getting your Boss!
Old 11/25/12, 07:08 AM
GT Member

The MT82 is not smooth in mine. It has a "crunchy" feel going into low gears sometimes, especially when cold. I've debated swapping in the MGW, but it hasn't been enough of a bother for me to mess with it so far.

Mine shifts with a positive THUNK when cold, no crunch, BUT I've had the MGW in since 185 miles, I've got over 2000 miles now. I've never missed a shift since the install, I missed five shifts driving the car 150 miles home from the dealer!! The MGW is worth every penny, get the new heat shield too!
Old 11/25/12, 03:03 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks man, i really want to take a look at all the colors before making my final choice. Fortunately for me this dealership seems to be hoarding Boss 302's. They have a White, a Grabber blue, RaceRed, a Leguna, and according to their site they have a GTHIG on order. So i should be able to get a look at all the colors before deciding for sure what i want. Thanks man.
Old 11/25/12, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love the Green color, but make sure you see it in the sun, at night, under different lighting. It is FUGLY under the yellow lighting we have here in parking lots, but absolutely glows out in the sun after a wash. I love the copper metal flake.

Dave
Old 11/29/12, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dayve
I love the Green color, but make sure you see it in the sun, at night, under different lighting. It is FUGLY under the yellow lighting we have here in parking lots, but absolutely glows out in the sun after a wash. I love the copper metal flake.

Dave
This is a great point. I never really looked at any of the colors at night. It would probably be a good idea to check out a prospectuve color at night or have some people from the forums post night shots theres before buying.
I've only seen the GTHIG in the sun, which like you said is when it looks bad ***. I love the way the RR looks at night. The streetlights give it an orange tint, which is cool with me. If CO were available on the '13s I probably would have gone that way.

Last edited by Snowman; 11/29/12 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11/29/12, 03:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Scott, I wanted nav/bluetooth in my 2012, so I just retrofitted with using one of the Scoshe setups and a Pioneer AVIC unit.
Old 12/5/12, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
Also, Snowman, did you add quarter window louvers to your car? If so, I think I might have seen it at Chili's on 287 on Oct 12th!
I think I saw this Boss last week on Loop 820 near the Beach St. Exit. He also had a black gas cap cover. I was in my work truck at the time, but I told him he was driving in my territory and to watch his back.

Just kidding I gave him a thumbs up. I don't normally like louvers, but it's hard to make the Boss look bad baby!