2012-2013 BOSS 302

To Boss or not to Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/12, 01:29 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Race Red is the best color...and the fastest too. It's science.
The following users liked this post:
07gt (6/16/22)
Old 7/7/12, 01:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny5alive
Race Red is the best color...and the fastest too. It's science.
No doubt. They bend time I think.
Old 7/7/12, 05:40 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Snowman, I do t blame you at all for the cost saving for sure. Before you buy though, you really owe it to yourself to drive the Boss before you commit. Just so you have no regrets about your decision. It sucks to settle sometimes.
Old 7/7/12, 06:12 AM

"just so you have no regrets about your decision. It sucks to settle sometimes."

That's for sure. After selling my Porsche and setting my sights on a Boss I found it frustrating that the local dealers were selling for 5K above msrp - or - did not have any in stock. After getting the cold shoulder at a large Ford dealer I test drove a Camaro SS....and bought it.

After a week I realized I had made a mistake and after recieving a call from said dealer that a RR Boss just arrived I traded the SS (lost 2K) & learned a lesson NOT to settle.
Old 7/7/12, 10:40 AM
GT Member

What's the cost difference of a boss and a RR Gt with track pack and brembos?
Old 7/7/12, 10:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

I spec'd out a loaded GT with the options you listed...and with the Shaker Pro audio system and it was just north of $40K msrp. I want to say @ high $36K invoice...which is what I could have gotten it for.

Wayne
Old 7/7/12, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sometimes

Originally Posted by Snowman
No offence taken. This is essentially what I'm asking. Is a Boss still a good choice for someone like me that will likely not track the car?

Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you ever regret passing on the Boss?
Tough call. The Boss 302 was always my favorite Stang. For many years I drove around with a front plate on my Fox GTs that was a Boss 302 plate. When I painted my 72 Torino, it got a hockey stick stripe; so I was pumped about the Boss returning. I like the 12 blaze yellow, and then Ford pulled the color. When the 13 came out, I liked the updates and the School Bus Yellow. My wife lobbied hard to keep te Bullitt, which is a whole other dilemma. One of my reasons for trading was a desire to have a few more luxuries like Sync and heated seats. I still love the Boss, would love to go to MMP for the track attack program and think the car is awesome, but the deal for the GT will probably net me a car that more realistically fits my day to day needs, budget and keep me happy. That said, I'll probably kick myself in the butt in 10 years and say I should have bought the Boss.

Last edited by Juice; 7/7/12 at 11:10 AM.
Old 7/7/12, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Depends

No offence taken. This is essentially what I'm asking. Is a Boss still a good choice for someone like me that will likely not track the car?

Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you ever regret passing on the Boss?
The track pack is a $2495 option on top of the price of the GT. Recaros are $1995. It depends on whether you start with a GT or GT Premium. You could order a base GT with track pack and Recaros and be around $36K. I started with a GT with 401 package and added track pack, comfort pack, security pack and backup camera and am right at $40K. The big advantage for me is the dealer will take x-plan, Ford mail in coupon and current rebates which make my out the door price much more palatable. The discounts paid for the track package and then some!
Old 7/7/12, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

The GT I plan to order has a MSRP of $43210 (pretty much every box checked) and the Boss is $45465 (Recaro/Torsen with car cover). I'm getting the GT for $38,681 (invoice minus rebate). $6784 difference.

I'm also not really into the RR GT's. I guess it's the reflective stripes/wheel combo I like on the Boss.

Alscobra and alanp: I have no doubt I will feel some twinges of regret for passing on the Boss (especially when I see them on the street), but when I factor in that I likely wouldn't use the Boss to its full capacity, my predilection for the goodies on the GT (glass roof, nav, etc.), and most of all the money, it just makes more sense for me to get the GT.

I might make one last attempt at the Boss on Monday. Maybe ask for a drive and ask my guy there if there is anything he can do with the price. I know it's rare to get them under MSRP, but we buy a lot of trucks from him so who knows...
Old 7/7/12, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Juice
The big advantage for me is the dealer will take x-plan, Ford mail in coupon and current rebates which make my out the door price much more palatable. The discounts paid for the track package and then some!
That sounds like a really good deal. Is xplan less than invoice? Where did you get the coupon?
Old 7/7/12, 12:11 PM

Snowman that sounds like a good deal. It all just depends on what you want out of your mustang. There's a guy in my neighborhood who has a RR GTCS that's fixed up really nicely and it's beautiful. If the GT has more than enough horsepower for you, then why not just do the GT? If you plan on performance mods then I would lean more towards the Boss. Also resale on the Boss will always be better than even the loaded GT.
Old 7/7/12, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Snowman that sounds like a good deal. It all just depends on what you want out of your mustang. There's a guy in my neighborhood who has a RR GTCS that's fixed up really nicely and it's beautiful. If the GT has more than enough horsepower for you, then why not just do the GT? If you plan on performance mods then I would lean more towards the Boss. Also resale on the Boss will always be better than even the loaded GT.
WTH is wrong with you? I spend less time here and you turn into some Boss princess.
Old 7/7/12, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

WTH is wrong with you? I spend less time here and you turn into some Boss princess.
No man. Not at all. I still think those guys suck. but I would buy a Boss over a GT if I was in the market. But it wouldn't look like a Boss for very long.
Old 7/7/12, 01:03 PM

Glad you chime in finally Joe. It took a lot.
Old 7/7/12, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I was in the same boat as you. I had a 12 CO boss, and liked the car. I did not like that it didnt have sync, HID's, ambient lighting etc. Also the stock radio in the 12 boss was terrible. Ending up selling it and started looking at 13 bosses since they have at least the sync, HID's etc. After talking to local dealer where I bought my 12 boss about a gotta have it green boss, they said they couldnt sell it at or under MSRP (They sold me my 12 under MSRP). So shopped around some more and ended up getting a 13 gotta have it green Gt with brembos and leather recaros. Ended up paying 10k less for that GT than MSRP on a new boss. That being said the boss is a great car, motor and exhuast make a great sound and love the styling of them. But I am happy with the 10k cheaper car that I will mod more and change the exterior to my liking. I also never road raced the 12boss so didnt need the motor/suspension which you may?
Old 7/7/12, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 96lasersnake
After talking to local dealer where I bought my 12 boss about a gotta have it green boss, they said they couldnt sell it at or under MSRP (They sold me my 12 under MSRP).
I've read across the forums of a few people getting Bosses for under MSRP. How much did they come off sticker when you bought your '12?

If I could get a Boss for a couple thousand off sticker I think I'd have to do it, but I'm not sure that's possible.
Old 7/7/12, 01:49 PM
GT Member

I can't remember what MSRP was on mine, it's a 2012 with recaros and LSD, but I think it was around 44,500 or something like that. I got it for $41,500 in January. My dealer was pretty cool about the whole thing. I was actually looking for a LS but couldn't find one near me so I went with my favorite color scheme instead, with the options that really mattered.
Old 7/7/12, 01:50 PM

I've read across the forums of a few people getting Bosses for under MSRP. How much did they come off sticker when you bought your '12?

If I could get a Boss for a couple thousand off sticker I think I'd have to do it, but I'm not sure that's possible.
Local dealer had 2 12's when I was looking but didn't budge off the 5K ADM even after offering cash @ msrp. Note, this was late in the model year & a 12 couldn't be ordered..only 13's. Did get mine at another dealer for $1200 below msrp.

In my case it was a matter of timing.
Old 7/8/12, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I can't remember what MSRP was on mine, it's a 2012 with recaros and LSD, but I think it was around 44,500 or something like that. I got it for $41,500 in January. My dealer was pretty cool about the whole thing. I was actually looking for a LS but couldn't find one near me so I went with my favorite color scheme instead, with the options that really mattered.
If I can get that kind of deal I'm probably going to get a boss. 41.5k is close enough to the price of the GT I'd get that it would still make sense.

Originally Posted by alanp
Local dealer had 2 12's when I was looking but didn't budge off the 5K ADM even after offering cash @ msrp. Note, this was late in the model year & a 12 couldn't be ordered..only 13's. Did get mine at another dealer for $1200 below msrp.

In my case it was a matter of timing.
That worked out well for you. It seems unlikely that the pricing would fall off on the '13's in a similar manner as there won't be a MY'14 to push the dealers to expunge the '13's. Maybe when they announce whatever the '14 SE's will be?

My dealer actually took in a '12 Boss on trade yesterday. Perf. White with 6k miles. They have a 42k sticker on it. I'm sure I could get them to take less, but idk if it would be enough to justify not just getting a '13. I hate the plastic rocker panels on the '12's but it doesn't look that bad on the Perf. Whites with black striping. My decision is getting nothing if not more complicated...
Old 7/8/12, 03:52 PM

Yeah I really don't like the look of the 12. 13 really looks a lot better.

Quick Reply: To Boss or not to Boss?