2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What the hell is FORD thinking???????????

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/13, 12:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Automagically

I've driven a 2010 and 2011+ and the 2010 felt good in the car. Easily enough street power. Maybe not the best on paper.
Exactly - the engine's torque is very nice for street power in the 4.6 3-valve. I know there are those who like more for other purposes, but I have not been disappointed in it for a daily driver. If you are talking about NA, then it looks like the Ford Racing cams, intake, and throttle body changes would net in the 340-345 ft-lb range (if I remember correctly). Again, not "earth shattering" but definitely reasonable for a daily driver.

Originally Posted by Automagically
I am excited to drive the Eco boost 4 though. I think it will surprise people. I'm not against FI it's just typically not my bag. But I do like boost when I've driven it. Though I remain more NA enthusiast.
It will be an interesting engine for sure, based on the fact that right off the bat it will have a higher torque peak and the lag is minimized.
Old 1/1/14, 10:04 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a shame the 2015 Mustang does not look like a mustang anymore. and WHY!!!!! would anyone want a crapy IRS rear end. They suck for everything, very costly to build up, Break very easily. I've owned many mustangs 87, 01 cobra 03 cobra and now a 2014 GT. I am so happy I got a 2014 GT. No thanks 2015.
Old 1/2/14, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by laserred38

Punctuation, heard of it?
Its hard to type on my phone i tend to do very bad using my phone.
Old 1/2/14, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by wentw1tj
What a shame the 2015 Mustang does not look like a mustang anymore. and WHY!!!!! would anyone want a crapy IRS rear end. They suck for everything, very costly to build up, Break very easily. I've owned many mustangs 87, 01 cobra 03 cobra and now a 2014 GT. I am so happy I got a 2014 GT. No thanks 2015.
Those irs rear ends weight a ton, im pissed off i wanted one of them gt500s in a few years and there already up the 2013 ones are going for 5k over what they cost new in 2013
Old 1/2/14, 09:29 AM
GT Member

Looks like a Mustang to me. Considering the whole industry uses IRS I would say it doesn't suck for everything.
Old 1/2/14, 09:39 AM

What a shame the 2015 Mustang does not look like a mustang anymore.
Matter of opinion, obviously, but looks like a Stang to me, a Stang for 2015 that is.

and WHY!!!!! would anyone want a crapy IRS rear end. They suck for everything, very costly to build up, Break very easily.
Nobody would want a crappy IRS, or any other rear end, or any component, period. However, this IRS looks seriously non-crappy and I would highly supsect would be great at everything, certainly many more things than the one-trick Conestoga axle in the current Stang. I won't even bother to list the legions of high-powered IRSs on the road today that don't shatter like Tiffany stemware in a bar brawl.

I've owned many mustangs 87, 01 cobra 03 cobra and now a 2014 GT. I am so happy I got a 2014 GT. No thanks 2015.
More for everyone else.
Old 1/2/14, 11:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
Matter of opinion, obviously, but looks like a Stang to me, a Stang for 2015 that is.

Nobody would want a crappy IRS, or any other rear end, or any component, period. However, this IRS looks seriously non-crappy and I would highly supsect would be great at everything, certainly many more things than the one-trick Conestoga axle in the current Stang. I won't even bother to list the legions of high-powered IRSs on the road today that don't shatter like Tiffany stemware in a bar brawl.

More for everyone else.
Now that's the spirit bro. Exactly. More for everyone else except the everyone else who doesn't want the 2015 and not be apart of the everyone else. So, in turn its really more for the rest of us , us being the ones who want the 2015 but not me personally because I'm not ready to ditch my 2011 retro. Lol
Old 1/2/14, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Now that's the spirit bro. Exactly. More for everyone else except the everyone else who doesn't want the 2015 and not be apart of the everyone else. So, in turn its really more for the rest of us , us being the ones who want the 2015 but not me personally because I'm not ready to ditch my 2011 retro. Lol
Which of course is great, there are hundreds of thousands -- millions even -- of older Mustangs for those prefering them to keep up and running strong, which is a great thing thing to do.

However, Ford and Mustang must look forward into a new and changing future to keep the car viable in today's and tomorrow's -- rather than yesterday's -- world and I think Ford did a great job with this difficult balancing act.

While not everyone will agree with the balance they struck -- I might have pushed for an even slightly more modern interpretation of the Mustang DNA -- the car itself seems to be very well executed and I think some of the uninformed gratuitous griping about its execution (IRS is just poo that will fall apart..., etc.) is just that, gratuitous griping.
Old 1/2/14, 01:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb

Which of course is great, there are hundreds of thousands -- millions even -- of older Mustangs for those prefering them to keep up and running strong, which is a great thing thing to do.

However, Ford and Mustang must look forward into a new and changing future to keep the car viable in today's and tomorrow's -- rather than yesterday's -- world and I think Ford did a great job with this difficult balancing act.

While not everyone will agree with the balance they struck -- I might have pushed for an even slightly more modern interpretation of the Mustang DNA -- the car itself seems to be very well executed and I think some of the uninformed gratuitous griping about its execution (IRS is just poo that will fall apart..., etc.) is just that, gratuitous griping.
Amen to that. You speak the truth brother. Plenty of choices out there for all the mustang enthusiasts too choose from. All years and models. Don't like the 2015, keep your current model stang or buy the year stang you like. Plenty for sale.
Old 1/2/14, 01:26 PM

Get the August 2013 issue of "CAR & DRIVER" magazine

In this issue starting on page 19 to page 21 there is a very good explanation on what is going on for the future of cars as we know them.
Learn all about:: President Obama's proposed Transatlantic Trade and investment partnership (TTIP) It is well worth reading and will answer a lot of questions of why the Auto designers have to design the cars to be legal in more then one country. Each country has some different standards that had to be addressed.
In a few years all of the cars will look like N.A.S.C.A.R stock cars after the politicians and idiots get their way.All the same shape with decals to make them look different.
I'm just happy Ford is still making the Mustang here in America with a great choice of engines and still offer a manual as well as the automatic transmission. I think the IRS will be fine. It sure will help out on auto X-ing and tracking. The aftermarket will sure be able to provide parts to beef it up if needed just like they have done for the solid axle Mustangs we all love. As far as the looks, I think they did a great job of it still having a Mustang look with all of the world design and pedestrian safety crap they have to contend with.
One good thing about living in America or Canada is, They don't have law's that make you buy a new car every year so you can just keep your older Mustang as long as you want to. If you don't like the 2015's just don't buy one.
Ronnie
Old 1/2/14, 01:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
This thread could have been predicted two months ago...

Some folks will prattle on about how horrible the new car is for one reason or another, just to avoid facing the reality that the machine that we're so invested (financially and emotionally) in has been made obsolete by a newer, better machine.

It happens every time there is a new model of car with a strong fan base! Every. *******. Time.

At least the 05-09 owners can stop complaining about the tail lights of the '10-'14 cars for a while.
Old 1/2/14, 02:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the 2015 mustang look like a mustang??? To many of us it does.. In fact it looks way more than like a mustang than the old 85-92 foxes, to me at least. Also, it's going to be one hell of a car and will likely outperform in all performance metrics, any previous GT ever produced. This is a good thing!

As per the independent rear suspension, I think most of us know that many, nearly all current high performance cars run IRS. If it can stand up to Ferrari, Porsche, Corvettes including z06 and zr1's, I think it will be just fine in the new Mustang. I do not mean to be insulting as everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it's just factual that IRS can stand up to high HP, balistic launches and sub 11 second quarters. It seems kind of silly to argue that it is necessarily fragile.

Now if you have specific knowlege about the irs that Ford will be using, and if that specific knowlege leads you to believe it will be fragile and sub industry standard, then you may have a point. Otherwise I don't get the complaining. Again to each his own.
Old 1/2/14, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Take note of what SRT had to do with the Viper... Traction/Stability control.
Their team spent countless hours honing the nannies to help rather than hinder performance and yet still meet governmental standards.
Although nannies can be nagging, they're an industry regulation now and must be generally excepted by enthusiasts.

Likewise, more global designs, safety and emission regulations, and simple wants will steer future vehicles With all that is out there pushing against a big American V8 with RWD car, I think Ford did a good job pushing out more power and more performance while still entertaining new rules.

I DO think the IRS will be up to par with all the higher end performance cars. I trust you with at least that Ford. lol

Last edited by Krohn; 1/2/14 at 02:17 PM.
Old 1/2/14, 02:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n
Does the 2015 mustang look like a mustang??? To many of us it does.. In fact it looks way more than like a mustang than the old 85-92 foxes, to me at least. Also, it's going to be one hell of a car and will likely outperform in all performance metrics, any previous GT ever produced. This is a good thing!

As per the independent rear suspension, I think most of us know that many, nearly all current high performance cars run IRS. If it can stand up to Ferrari, Porsche, Corvettes including z06 and zr1's, I think it will be just fine in the new Mustang. I do not mean to be insulting as everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it's just factual that IRS can stand up to high HP, balistic launches and sub 11 second quarters. It seems kind of silly to argue that it is necessarily fragile.

Now if you have specific knowlege about the irs that Ford will be using, and if that specific knowlege leads you to believe it will be fragile and sub industry standard, then you may have a point. Otherwise I don't get the complaining. Again to each his own.
^All of this!

The talk that the IRS won't be up to the task is just backwards thinking.

YES- if you're going to tub the car and go with some wild 1000+hp setup, you're probably going to want to look into the swappable SRA that Ford has alluded to. Otherwise, the IRS will almost certainly be an improvement all around over an already very good solid rear axle.

Performance alignment capability, less unsprung weight, vastly better response to uneven surfaces...and still being able to burn the tires and snap off 12s 1/4 miles... it's going to rock.

For the love of Dog... I just hope they make this thing NOT wheelhop. I can't stand that about my '11.
Old 1/2/14, 02:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Amen to that. You speak the truth brother. Plenty of choices out there for all the mustang enthusiasts too choose from. All years and models. Don't like the 2015, keep your current model stang or buy the year stang you like. Plenty for sale.
Gotta love the choice. That's why the beautiful (IMHO) 2015 will be joining my 2012 Boss and my 1965 Fastback.
Old 1/2/14, 04:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Gotta love the choice. That's why the beautiful (IMHO) 2015 will be joining my 2012 Boss and my 1965 Fastback.
Clearly you are way cooler than the rest of us who have 1 or 2 mustangs. JK. sounds like you have a beautiful collection of cars. OUTSTANDING I'm at least a little envious.
Old 1/2/14, 04:49 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
This thread could have been predicted two months ago...

Some folks will prattle on about how horrible the new car is for one reason or another, just to avoid facing the reality that the machine that we're so invested (financially and emotionally) in has been made obsolete by a newer, better machine.

It happens every time there is a new model of car with a strong fan base! Every. *******. Time.

At least the 05-09 owners can stop complaining about the tail lights of the '10-'14 cars for a while.
Mike ! I have no complaints when it comes to my 2006 GT, including the tail lights lol.

On the other hand, I also really like the 2015 Mustang as well and once again I have no complaints

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/2/14 at 04:51 PM.
Old 1/2/14, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by eric n

Clearly you are way cooler than the rest of us who have 1 or 2 mustangs. JK. sounds like you have a beautiful collection of cars. OUTSTANDING I'm at least a little envious.
I'm way envious! Nice stable.
Old 1/2/14, 05:07 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,729 Posts
I'm also very envious as well Steve
Old 1/2/14, 05:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT

Mike ! I have no complaints when it comes to my 2006 GT, including the tail lights lol.

On the other hand, I also really like the 2015 Mustang as well and once again I have no complaints
LIAR, LIAR! You are just angry your stang is obsolete. JK bro.

The 2015 mustang is really nice looking and no doubt it will corner like its on rails from the new IRS. Ford should continue its huge success with the next generation mustang and continue for another 50 years and on.

In about 10 years I will be ready for my next mustang and move from my 11 retro and pick up a 2025 model.

Maybe by then there will be a 10 speed automatic so I can install 4:56 gears. Lmao

Quick Reply: What the hell is FORD thinking???????????