2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What the hell is FORD thinking???????????

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/13, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
If it only weighed 2000 lbs it would be a rough riding beast. The weight in my 2014 convertible helps make it smooth and comfortable.
Originally Posted by tukatz

And a W12 would likely be a high revving engine, not unlike the hotter 4s that some seem to find offensive. Personally, I can enjoy both the throaty rumble of the V8s and the scream of the high revving 4s, as well as the V6 in between which makes some great sounds when you get on it.

I wouldn't want to listen to V8 rumble all day long or to F1 scream either. All things in moderation. However, a GOOD engine is a delight no matter how many pistons it has.
Not necessarily, the ride quality has a lot more to do with other factors -- suspension design and tuning, ratio or sprung to unsprung weight, etc. -- than simple deadweight. A 2,000 lb. car could readily be made to ride and handle far better than a 4,000 dreadnaught. Simply added mass would smooth out a car's ride in a sense, but only at a huge degradation of handling and overall performance, so I would recommend that approach. I wouldn't be worried about a lighter Stang necessarily riding like a go cart. In fact, with an IRS, in addition to lighter weight, I would expect a significant advance in both ride AND handling together.

As for engine configuration, size and tuning, those all are only loosely related. Most 12 cylinders are seen as high revving because most are seen in ultra high performace sports cars. However, VW's W12 and the various BMS and Merc V12s found in their sedans have rather broad power bands and modest redlines. Same goes with I4s, the hotter ones -- think Honda VTECs -- scream up to the 8-9K range while more pedestrian I4s are tuned rather sedately. Turbo motors of any sort tend to be a bit less revvy for various reasons, but mostly because they don't need to spin up like a dental drill to make big power, turbo force feeding does that.

My own motor preferences tend towards more cylinders, regardless of displacement. Fours are fine, IMO, but they inherently are rougher, have a lumpier power delivery (only two big lumps of torque pulses every rpm rather than more finely pureed and overlapped torque pulses from a multiplicity of cylinders) and simply don't sound as melodious. Drive by in a nice V12 with a good exhaust system and I'd better be wearing a bib, if not diaper too, as that's exhaust music for me.

In any case, I think a nice turbo four towards the bottom of the lineup would be great, both in and of itself but also for broadening the market and allowing, by dint of higher MPGs and less stink, the bigger multicylinder motors that really distinguish a Mustang and make it a truly interesting performance car.

As for the more global direction the NextStang will be taking, I don't think that is necessarily a cause for undue concern, as an editorial in Mustang News to that effect conveys:

In defense of the global 2015 Ford Mustang
http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...-ford-mustang/

Last edited by rhumb; 3/13/13 at 08:15 AM.
Old 3/13/13, 11:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My SVO I had..Loved it..
Name:  DSC00355.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  157.3 KB
Name:  DSC00356.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  184.0 KB
Name:  DSC00368.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  162.3 KB
Name:  DSC00358.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  154.2 KB
Old 3/13/13, 12:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Funny, I thought all the recent Kias were stealing Ford's current design language, and IMO some of their cars have more cohesive designs. The Kias are pretty nice looking cars these days, and if you colored in their black oval logo blue, they would look like Fords. Hmm
Old 3/13/13, 02:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UnrealFord
My SVO I had..Loved it..

very nice
Old 3/13/13, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Vickstang
Exactly. And who cares that there will be a 4 cylinder if there's also 6 and 8. Only badge and image ******.
I agree ,The rendering i saw looks like a Aston Martin .. things change...
Old 3/13/13, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

This thread is weird.
Old 3/13/13, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I had an 87 Turbocoupe with the 2.3l + 5spd lol. Was fun @ 180hp!
Old 3/14/13, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kabooka
all we really know is there will be a 4, 6, 8 and IRS--that's it?
I said this earlier, but do we KNOW there will be a 6 and 8 at this time or are we assuming the 3.7 and 5.0 will carry over?
Old 3/14/13, 07:44 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Kabooka
I said this earlier, but do we KNOW there will be a 6 and 8 at this time or are we assuming the 3.7 and 5.0 will carry over?
We really dont KNOW anything if you want to get technical. The surest bet is the v8 and IRS from the spy photos. Everything else is more up in the air although I'd put my money on the 4, 6, and 8 all being offered.
Old 3/14/13, 12:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ronnie948
If they think that stupid looking Kia looking crap is to be called a "Mustang" they must really be taking some really bad drugs. It sure don't look like a Mustang and putting a four cylinder in it is like a kick in the ba$$s if you ask me. A really stupid move from Ford on this Mustang downgrade.

Ronnie
Sorry man, disagree on all fronts.
Old 3/14/13, 12:33 PM
Cobra R Member

I love all this "it doesn't look like a Mustang" talk when the renders and even the Evo look more like a Mustang than the '79 to 93 and 94 to 04 cars ever did. .
Old 3/14/13, 01:38 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MRiley
although I'd put my money on the 4, 6, and 8 all being offered.
Personally I don't think so.
I think if we see the 4, the 6 won't be offfered and vice versa.
What would be the benefit? It's the same reason they wouldn't offer a Eco6 and V8 together.

I'm sure they might R&D both and then make a decision based on what would be the best option, but in the end they won't have 2 similar power outputs just to give people an option.

The car has 3 - 4 variations already between a base/GT/SE/SVT.
I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Old 3/16/13, 08:08 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess I'm a V8 snob. I will only buy a Mustang with a V8 under the hood. I've owned a 4 cylinder Mustang ('88 LX hatch that I bought brand new) and I've owned a V6 Mustang ('75 Mach 1 that I owned for 6 years way back after the second oil embargo). I also owned an '88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (2.3L Turbo in a Fox-Body like the SVO Mustangs). However, after having V8 Mustangs, I just can't go back to anything else.

The '15 Mustang renditions we've seen in the recent car magazines look awful, IMHO. However, I'm reserving judgement for the actual car before I decide how Ford's stylists have done.

The '15 powertrains will likely be the 3.7L V6 as the base engine, EcoBoost 4 cylinder as an extra cost upgrade (same power as the 3.7L, yet better MPG's), and the 5.0L V8 (with a 5.0L EcoBoost likely in the next generation GT500's). I base this line up on the conversations I've had with several Ford employees I've spoken to this year and a little interpolation on my part.
Old 3/16/13, 08:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian

The '15 Mustang renditions we've seen in the recent car magazines look awful, IMHO. However, I'm reserving judgement for the actual car before I decide how Ford's stylists have done.

The '15 powertrains will likely be the 3.7L V6 as the base engine, EcoBoost 4 cylinder as an extra cost upgrade (same power as the 3.7L, yet better MPG's), and the 5.0L V8 (with a 5.0L EcoBoost likely in the next generation GT500's). I base this line up on the conversations I've had with several Ford employees I've spoken to this year and a little interpolation on my part.
I like some of the renderings, but I agree - I'll reserve my judgement until I see the car. I know some people who have seen it and say they don't like it. With that in mind, I remembered back to the last 4 generations of Mustang and know that upon first glance, I didn't like them either. BUT, they grew on me and I came to appreciate pretty much every generation, so I'm prepared to not be smitten right away, only to have the appearance grow on me. I'm torn because on one hand, the IRS and other mechanical and technological features have been a long time coming, and have my interest piqued. On the other hand though, I am disgusted with all the safety regulation crap that is required on all cars these days, and it makes me not want to own anything past an SN95. That and the increased prices of cars, which goes up every year, makes me feel like I'll never afford a new car anyways.

That all being said, I've been saying the same thing regarding the powertrain options all along. 3.7 V6 carryover for base, 2.x EcoBoost 4 up level, GT 5.0 and SVT model to top it off. I'm sticking to that, and we'll see who's right soon.
Old 3/16/13, 08:51 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,907 Likes on 2,141 Posts
Originally Posted by ronnie948
If they think that stupid looking Kia looking crap is to be called a "Mustang" they must really be taking some really bad drugs. It sure don't look like a Mustang and putting a four cylinder in it is like a kick in the ba$$s if you ask me. A really stupid move from Ford on this Mustang downgrade.

Ronnie
History Repeats itself. Ford will have the same Success, Popularity and Reverance as the Mustang II, 98-99 Cougar and the Ford Probe.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 3/16/13 at 08:52 AM.
Old 3/16/13, 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Being an owner turbo vehicles previously, id gladly buy a turbo 4 cylinder if I was in the market for a non-GT. I enjoy turbo vehicles more than non-turbo. The spool is a great feeling
Old 3/16/13, 01:25 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowRiderr
Being an owner turbo vehicles previously, id gladly buy a turbo 4 cylinder if I was in the market for a non-GT. I enjoy turbo vehicles more than non-turbo. The spool is a great feeling
Old 12/19/13, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

So Ronnie's scan from C&D back in March wound up looking pretty accurate! But I think Ford got it right introducing the EcoBoost to the Mustang family!
Old 12/19/13, 08:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ford got it right introducing the EcoBoost to the Mustang family!
^ agree.. also looks like aftermarket is getting ready for that too... i m excited.
Old 12/19/13, 08:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
Ford got it right introducing the EcoBoost to the Mustang family! ^ agree.. also looks like aftermarket is getting ready for that too... i m excited.
I owned an 05 V6 and currently lease a 13 GT, but I'm very interested in seeing what the EB can do - it might just be the engine I choose for my 15 or 16!

Quick Reply: What the hell is FORD thinking???????????