2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What the hell is FORD thinking???????????

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/14, 03:45 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
The current cars are special bro. As all the generation mustangs are special. There special because there a mustang and its apart of the mustang history. Its called evolution. Cars and technology evolves at a rate faster than light speed. The 2015 will be old news when the 2016 comes out. So what. Maybe people need too be happy at what they have and enjoy. Not worried because this model has more HP than that model. Someone and something will always be better, be faster, more powerful, blah blah blah. For people who have the 4.6 engine, I say enjoy it. Its plenty fast for public streets. For people who have the 3.7 engine, enjoy and stop worrying about the V8 nonsense. It looks amazing and its plenty fast. For people who have the 5.0, there will be something better and more powerful soon enough. Enjoy what you have people.
Exactly well spoken ! Enjoy and be satisfied with what you already have and not be so hung up on what the new model has over what you currently have now..

As the technology cycle is never going to end no matter what and before you know it.. We'll all be saying the S550 will be obsolete within the next 3-5 years from now..

So no matter what nor how any of us try to sugar coat it.. Everything becomes obsolete and what you have today is going to be outdated and replaced with something better tomorrow..

Perhaps that's the reason why our older generation cars are considered as classic and so special.. Because they do become obsolete
Old 1/3/14, 04:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX

It's a strange thing that constantly improving cars causes us pain...many of us were probably secretly hoping that the S550 would be a turd...or that new regulations would kill (or badly wound!) the V8 so that our current cars would stay special.

I wasn't! I was hoping there would be continued improvements, and I certainly do NOT want to see the 5.0L made obsolete. If anything, just like GM has evolved the small block V8, I want Ford to continue on that path. And yes, at some point, that V8 might go, but as the owner of one of those old 4.6L obsolete V8s, I can tell you I've survived all these years not having driven the current 5.0L.

I do look forward to it in the next number of months though, if the plan carries through!
Old 1/3/14, 08:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't it a bit odd the 2015 mustang v6 model will have 5 less hp and 10 less torque compared to the 11 to 14 models. The v6 is actually loosing power. I find that very strange. You would think the new v6 would be the same power or a few higher. Screwy.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/3/14 at 10:19 PM.
Old 1/3/14, 10:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eric n
Clearly you are way cooler than the rest of us who have 1 or 2 mustangs. JK. sounds like you have a beautiful collection of cars. OUTSTANDING I'm at least a little envious.
Cooler? No. Poorer, yes.
Old 1/3/14, 10:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I'm also very envious as well Steve

Thanks for the kind comments. Never expected to end up with two, the first came from a frustrated eBay bid after missing out yet again on price on my favourite car, a '69 Eliminator. The Boss, well I just had to have one the minute they were announced and the timing was perfect as I had become disillusioned with BMWs. Now I really want the new car but a tough year and lack of space might force me to sell one to get one. Not sure I can bring myself to do that, so hopefully things pick up and they delay the new car just enough for me to sort things out. Fingers crossed.
Old 1/4/14, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bob

Or build that 4.6, nothing that a little time honored hot-rodding and a power adder won't fix.

Then again I always thought Ford should have put a 5.4 in the S-197 from the start
Im planning on going somehwere with my 2003 gt in power just not sure where, there id someone selling a 5.4 with everything i need for the swap for a grand, im really thinking about that. Do they have any 4v heads for those 5.4's?
Old 1/4/14, 06:49 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbeeney6
Im planning on going somehwere with my 2003 gt in power just not sure where, there id someone selling a 5.4 with everything i need for the swap for a grand, im really thinking about that. Do they have any 4v heads for those 5.4's?

Yes.... Although if you wanted to save a fair bit of weight and didn't mind spending the extra scratch the 5.8 from the current Shelby will also work (the extra cubes and bigger bore would also help in the power department).

Last edited by bob; 1/4/14 at 06:51 AM.
Old 1/4/14, 07:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't it a bit odd the 2015 mustang v6 model will have 5 less hp and 10 less torque compared to the 11 to 14 models. The v6 is actually loosing power. I find that very strange. You would think the new v6 would be the same power or a few higher. Screwy.
I'm guessing that if that's true it is due to increased fuel economy. Ford is sacrificing performance for fuel economy because of the government regulations.
Old 1/4/14, 09:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Thomas S

I'm guessing that if that's true it is due to increased fuel economy. Ford is sacrificing performance for fuel economy because of the government regulations.
But have you every heard of a newer model loosing power numbers? Lol. It normally goes up or stays the same not backwards. Lol
Old 1/4/14, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

But have you every heard of a newer model loosing power numbers? Lol. It normally goes up or stays the same not backwards. Lol
The official ratings are not out for any motor. I believe every time and engineer has spoken it has been with the "around" or "more than" caveat. Wait for the official ratings to come out then let the haterade spill everywhere
Old 1/4/14, 10:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
It's losing. Not loosing.

And Ford deliberately lowered the power rating of the V6 so as to make the 2.3T seem like more of an upgrade - just like they do with the 5.0 in the F-150 - they rate the EcoBoost 5hp more with way more torque, even though with a better tune, the 5.0 would exceed those numbers. It's marketing.
Old 1/4/14, 10:36 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by xlover
The official ratings are not out for any motor. I believe every time and engineer has spoken it has been with the "around" or "more than" caveat. Wait for the official ratings to come out then let the haterade spill everywhere
Correct. So far, all that's been quoted is that they will have "at least x bhp".

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 4 cylinder have a higher bhp than the V6, even if it's just a few horses
Old 1/4/14, 11:05 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"# of cylinders does NOT equal power" --- That statement got my attention. When it comes to Fords, the more cylinders also normally equates to more displacement as well.

I'm not saying the 4 cylinder engine is not a good engine. Yes, they put a turbo on the 4 banger and got the HP up so it appears to look pretty good compared to the naturally aspirated V6... which received no love this generation and no bump in HP. That's cheating if that's your point in comparing a mustang 4 cyl engine to 6 cyl engine.

Here's a more fair comparison.
2015 Turbo 4 = ~305hp
2014 Turbo 8 (shelby) = 662hp
Maybe a Turbo 6 could be in the ~450HP range

So contrary to that original statement, # of cylinders does typically make a big difference.

But I understand why Ford didn't want to spend resources in making a Turbo 6, thus making the GT obsolete.
Old 1/4/14, 11:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by xlover

Oh, I'm not hatting (lol) just found it odd the newer model would have less power than the older model. Not sure why Ford would lower the V6 by 5 HP and 10 torque when it should be going up or stay the same.
Old 1/4/14, 11:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

It's losing. Not loosing.

And Ford deliberately lowered the power rating of the V6 so as to make the 2.3T seem like more of an upgrade - just like they do with the 5.0 in the F-150 - they rate the EcoBoost 5hp more with way more torque, even though with a better tune, the 5.0 would exceed those numbers. It's marketing.
Yes losing. Lol. I didn't proof read my Droid phone.
Old 1/4/14, 11:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo

Correct. So far, all that's been quoted is that they will have "at least x bhp".

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 4 cylinder have a higher bhp than the V6, even if it's just a few horses
By all means, give the turbo 4 more HP than the sixer but one would think the 3.7 would keep the same HP and torque numbers as the 11 to 14 models have. Then give the 4 banger 315 HP and 300 torque which is more or what ever number Ford wants. Just odd too me the newer model would have less power than previous models. I'm guessing but with the 4 banger coming out, that will make the V6 go bye bye in the upcoming model years. Depending on the price people will spend the extra money to get the 4 banger turbo over the V6 model because its turbo and the added mpg's over the V6.

Given the choice, I would buy the 4 banger turbo over the V6 model because it has a factory turbo and its gonna be a sweet beast when adding boost. You save 6 grand plus by it already having a factory F.I. set up. This 4 banger mustang just may be the modern day Toyota Supra Turbo.
Old 1/4/14, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

What the hell is FORD thinking???????????

I'm Thinking->Ford's Thinking->This will be one of the best selling Mu$tang$ of all time...
Old 1/4/14, 04:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
What the hell is FORD thinking??????????? I'm Thinking->Ford's Thinking->This will be one of the best selling Mu$tang$ of all time...
Best selling lmao, more like the most generic mustang of all time.
Old 1/4/14, 05:55 PM
Cobra Member

Has anyone who has seen the mustang in person been anything less than VERY VERY impressed. Every writer who has seen it seems to love it.. Across the board people seem to say it's way cooler in person than in pics. And, in pics it's pretty darned cool.

I know that some of the mustangsource guys have seen it. Anyone not love it??? Has anyone seen a writer for any magazine not give kudos for it's astetics. Obviously there will have to be finished production level examples before we know much about performance. But, it seems pretty unanimous that's it's a sexy looking beast. Obviously there are likely writers that I haven't seen, so clue me in if you've read differently.
Old 1/4/14, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I dont think there was a drop in power, more marketing.

Quick Reply: What the hell is FORD thinking???????????