2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What the hell is FORD thinking???????????

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/14, 03:18 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
Lol anyone know if this is true?
I think its kinda cool lol
If.........if Ford were to put a diesel in a Mustang, it'd better be a decent six cylinder. 3 litre diesels the likes of BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes are producing are superb. The BMW, with a 3-litre single-turbo straight-six developing 254bhp and 413lb ft, it’s a seriously muscular machine. Limited to 155mph and capable of hitting 62mph in 5.6sec, it promises to combine E46 M3 performance with 58mpg economy. And they actually sound pretty good, too.

To be honest, I'd probably prefer that to the 2.3 Ecoboost, but it'd make the Stang even more of long-legged GT.
Old 1/26/14, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
If.........if Ford were to put a diesel in a Mustang, it'd better be a decent six cylinder. 3 litre diesels the likes of BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes are producing are superb. The BMW, with a 3-litre single-turbo straight-six developing 254bhp and 413lb ft, it’s a seriously muscular machine. Limited to 155mph and capable of hitting 62mph in 5.6sec, it promises to combine E46 M3 performance with 58mpg economy. And they actually sound pretty good, too.

To be honest, I'd probably prefer that to the 2.3 Ecoboost, but it'd make the Stang even more of long-legged GT.

It may hit that performance, but there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of it being rated at 58mpg in the US.

First, a US gallon is almost a litre smaller than an imperial gallon as used in the UK. Second, US fuel ratings are done on a much more intensive series of tests which prevent manufacturers from hypermiling their cars or designing their cars to achieve great fuel mileage at a single speed and throttle position.

The difference between the way the EU tests mileage and the way the US tests it is massive, and leads to massively different results. Take the Jetta 2.0 TDI for instance, rated at 68 mpg in the EU and the exact same car is rated at just 34 mpg in the US. In the US, that BMW diesel would be about the same fuel mileage as a V6 Mustang.

Last edited by Moustang; 1/26/14 at 06:33 PM.
Old 1/26/14, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish they would make the mustang body out of aluminum, like the new f150 line.. would save weight and stop rust!
Old 1/30/14, 05:14 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbeeney6
I wish they would make the mustang body out of aluminum, like the new f150 line.. would save weight and stop rust!
no... look under the aluminum hoods on almost all 05-up models...aluminum corrodes faster than steel, and on the mustangs at least, Ford hasnt got a clue how to hem/seal/prep and paint. theres a thread in the 05-09 section warranty/service issues, look at the pics I took at the auto show last year...5 out of 6 mustangs on display had underhood paint issues, the bubbling will continue under the paint. my 06 went from a small patch to 3" by a foot in about a 3 month span, it always starts from the unsealed sharp edge where its crimped to the underside. if they didnt get their processes nailed down, the new F150 might bankrupt them in warranty repairs
Old 1/30/14, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ford4v429
no... look under the aluminum hoods on almost all 05-up models...aluminum corrodes faster than steel, and on the mustangs at least, Ford hasnt got a clue how to hem/seal/prep and paint. theres a thread in the 05-09 section warranty/service issues, look at the pics I took at the auto show last year...5 out of 6 mustangs on display had underhood paint issues, the bubbling will continue under the paint. my 06 went from a small patch to 3" by a foot in about a 3 month span, it always starts from the unsealed sharp edge where its crimped to the underside. if they didnt get their processes nailed down, the new F150 might bankrupt them in warranty repairs
Never really thought about the corrosion issue, i guess we will have to wait and see hoe it works out i do have a small bubble on the corner edge of my 2005 gt convertable it was there when i got it tho.. my 2003 as rust on both rear 1/4 panels when i got it im currently cutting the bottem halfs out and fixing it i hate **** rust
Old 2/1/14, 08:48 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
...aluminum corrodes faster than steel...
Aluminum is highly corrosion resistant and does NOT corrode faster than metal.

Maybe you are suggesting Ford is allowing the surface to oxidize prior to painting?

Last edited by skramblr; 2/2/14 at 10:02 AM.
Old 2/1/14, 08:49 AM
GT Member

...aluminum corrodes faster than steel...

Maybe you are suggesting Ford is allowing the surface to oxidize prior to painting?
Old 2/1/14, 12:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skramblr

Somebody needs a lesson in metallurgy.
Says the guy who suggests aluminum isn't a metal.

Last edited by wheelman; 2/1/14 at 12:32 PM.
Old 2/2/14, 10:01 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
Says the guy who suggests aluminum isn't a metal.
Ack. STEEL, I meant STEEL! That'll teach me to try and correct somebody.
Old 2/20/16, 06:44 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by skramblr

holy dead threads...

was searching some stuff, just stumbled on this old reply..

yes, I shouldnt have said 'corrodes faster than steel' how about oxidizes faster than steel...bare aluminum will form its own protective oxidation layer very quickly, faster than steel rusts - so it will last about forever compared to steel- but the oxidation WILL lift the paint, and quickly spread under it once it begins. the blisters on my 06 hood went from tiny to like 3X12 inches in only 3 months(I waxed under my hood a couple times a summer)

a lot of folks(myself included) assumed the aluminum hood would last forever... well it might, but the paint wont...all three of ours had hood herpes around the underside by 4 yrs old(including the only wet twice/still undriven 09- it now has 5.1 miles, from moving around occasionally).
no amount of care can prevent the paint failure... I havent heard of any 15s having the underhood lip bubbling yet, so maybe Ford changed the process/alloy/something- will still be a year or two before time starts telling that tale with any certainty... but it was a known issue that started in 2000, and obviously still affecting 14 models, by the posts ive read - even though they documented the manufacturing defect sometime before the TSB came out in dec of 2006...which superseded one from 2004 about the 'iron contamination prior to paint'...

just wanted to reiterate to those with the 15's I'd still keep a close eye on that underside perimeter... hopefully it will never be a issue, but if not noticed until it hits the pretty side, so much for that original baked hood paint..if caught on just the underside, that can be worked as needed and no one would ever see it...
still though, just because its aluminum and you take exceptional care of it, it was no guarantee on the S197s, even years after Ford supposedly found the problem.
everyone should also take note of mustangs corrosion warranty- the F150 got a 5 yr paint adhesion warranty, Mustang did not...the 5 yr corrosion warranty only covers perforation that will practically be impossible to occur even if all the paint were blasted off and salt poured on it... a 5 year perforation only warranty on aluminum is absolutely worthless.

in my thinking, if Ford were confident they had fixed the aluminum issue on mustang, they woulda carried the same adhesion warranty as F150 on other models too. the corrosion warranty is totally useless on mustang aluminum- it needs adhesion warranty to have any value at all...the 3/36 warranty is basically 'it'- dunno about you, but if a 3 yr old car's paint starts coming off at 37k miles, I'd not be a happy camper.

hopefully this is a dead issue, but to me, that jury will be out for a couple years yet... I'd still suggest keeping a eye on that underside. especially in the weeks/miles before the 3/36 runs out...the 5yr corrosion thing isnt gonna be of any use on aluminum.
Old 2/25/16, 11:00 AM
V6 Member

I doubt there will be a problem with the superior aluminum front end on the S550's.The parts are dipped for corosion resistance. I have a '13 GT500 with an aluminum hood and it's perfect.I had a '12 SS Camaro for 3 yrs with an aluminum hood and it was also perfect. Find something else to worry about.
Old 2/25/16, 12:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rider
I doubt there will be a problem with the superior aluminum front end on the S550's.The parts are dipped for corosion resistance. I have a '13 GT500 with an aluminum hood and it's perfect.I had a '12 SS Camaro for 3 yrs with an aluminum hood and it was also perfect. Find something else to worry about.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the point being raised. There are later model years in the S197 run where folks were seeing the bubbling paint. I had it on my 2010 GT. Yes, they are dipped, but the "corrosion-looking" symptoms have been appearing on various models (V6, GT, Boss 302).

So far on my '15, I don't have an issue, so I continue to remain hopeful there was enough change to the material and manufacturing process (particularly as it applied to the e-coat) so that it is not seen.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 2/25/16 at 01:05 PM.
Old 2/25/16, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the point being raised. There are later model years in the S197 run where folks were seeing the bubbling paint. I had it on my 2010 GT. Yes, they are dipped, but the "corrosion-looking" symptoms have been appearing on various models (V6, GT, Boss 302).

So far on my '15, I don't have an issue, so I continue to remain hopeful there was enough change to the material and manufacturing process (particularly as it applied to the e-coat) so that it is not seen.

I had bubbles appearing after 2 1/2 years on both my '06 & my '13 .
In both cases , the dealer repaired & re-painted the hood under warranty .
Old 2/29/16, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ronnie948
If they think that stupid looking Kia looking crap is to be called a "Mustang" they must really be taking some really bad drugs. It sure don't look like a Mustang and putting a four cylinder in it is like a kick in the ba$$s if you ask me. A really stupid move from Ford on this Mustang downgrade.

Ronnie

Too funny!
I know this is way old, but...
A V6 jockey smack talking a 4 cyclinder with forced induction!
Too funny!
Old 5/21/17, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
As a owner of countless fox body 2.3L mustangs ill be more then happy if they bring back a turbo 4! How is a turbo eco 4 with possible more power and fuel savings over your auto V6 a bad thing?

ps: if you ever get the chance to go for a ride in a svo,you might just change your mind!
I have a 1984 Turbo GT Convertible with 39867 miles and new tires. Problem is it rides like an F350. Very harsh on rough roads. No noises. Got any suggestions.
Old 6/25/17, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Check the tire pressure. Probably over inflated.
Old 6/26/17, 03:44 AM
GT Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[QUOTE= There's been no word that it is replacing the 3.7 anyhow so besides an ego thing that you drive a muscle car offered only in v6/v8, what's the harm in offering more choice?[/QUOTE]

Ford has already released that they are discontinuing the V6.