2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Rumoured power outputs for '15

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/13, 02:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Horus

Is that something you joke about? Why? Because Mustangs get smoked there? So give up on it and make a joke out of it so you can try to convince yourself it isn't a measure of what your car can do with a professional driver?

A base Vette at $50k will destroy a GT500 at $60k on any course with a turn..ie like a real road.

Do you see what I've been saying about price? A Mustang or Camaro should never even come close to the price of a corvette, they are made to take exotics, our cars are made for the everyday guy... or at least that's how it used to be. Why is it back in the 80's Mustangs were cheap and had no problem keeping up with its pony car rivals and many times ended up being faster. Yet, since the late80's up until present, with the price rising faster than inflation....Ford has let the Camaro make the Mustang its bitc# ..prison style?
I don't know if Chevy and Ford are just counting on the fanboy factor to keep the Camaros and Mustangs alive, but one day the fanboys will look at prices, wake up, and see they can get a higher base lvl of performance from other offerings and we will sadly, say good night to the pony car platform.
A 50k vette will get you a base model. The power in the base vette is what a Gt is around, not a GT500.
Old 6/25/13, 08:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

A 50k vette will get you a base model. The power in the base vette is what a Gt is around, not a GT500.
No what is funny I'd when the ZL1 came out GM was bragging that it would beat the GT500 in a drag race. Well when GM looked dumb on that claim. All the Chevy guys diddly became who cares about the 1320. Our car handles better lol
I've run a 12.27 on DR only in my 2012. Sorry no lopey cam, no hidden nitrous. Yes your 100k Vette beats my car and drops 40k in value after 2 years
Old 6/25/13, 10:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before telling Ford how stupid they are, we need to keep things in perspective. Look at it from the point of view of a manufacturer and not a race car driver. Even for "enthusiast" cars like the Mustang and Camaro, I'm pretty sure that most of the people who buy one don't know exactly how much horsepower their car makes, what it's quarter mile time is, or in many cases, even what size the engine is. A guy who worked a couple blocks from me bought a brand new 2010 Mustang GT and thought the engine was 4.7 liters. I don't think either company is losing many sales because a competitor car is a couple seconds faster at the drag strip. To most buyers 1 mpg in fuel economy may be more important than .3 seconds in the quarter mile.
Old 6/25/13, 10:35 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
To most buyers 1 mpg in fuel economy may be more important than .3 seconds in the quarter mile.
Good point, and we win there as well.
Old 6/25/13, 02:21 PM

A new base vette will hang right next to any Pony car and if the course has anything vaguely resembling a turn the Vette will humiliate them. Power means nothing if you cant put it to the road and keep it there. The advantage the Vetts have is they stick like glue, while the pony cars have come a ways in handling, they have nowhere near the handling/cornering a vette has.
So in a real world course..like a street course. The extra money spent on the ultra high end models of the Camaro and Mustang puts you way ahead on $$ spent, and way behind in actual performance. In a straight line you have to get the super high end models, then tweak and add to them to hang with a bargain basement vette. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THAT WAY!!!!!
Complain to Ford.. demand more. Don't settle for less than the best thay can make for the lowest price they can deliver it for.
The price for Mustangs and Camaros has outpaced inflation. Why? Because we the consumers have let the car companies just give us whatever and we accept. Demand more and get more people.. that's what I'm saying.
Old 6/25/13, 02:37 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah I want a Ford Gt for 20k, I demand satisfaction!
Old 6/25/13, 03:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

A new base vette will hang right next to any Pony car and if the course has anything vaguely resembling a turn the Vette will humiliate them. Power means nothing if you cant put it to the road and keep it there. The advantage the Vetts have is they stick like glue, while the pony cars have come a ways in handling, they have nowhere near the handling/cornering a vette has.
So in a real world course..like a street course. The extra money spent on the ultra high end models of the Camaro and Mustang puts you way ahead on $$ spent, and way behind in actual performance. In a straight line you have to get the super high end models, then tweak and add to them to hang with a bargain basement vette. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THAT WAY!!!!!
Complain to Ford.. demand more. Don't settle for less than the best thay can make for the lowest price they can deliver it for.
The price for Mustangs and Camaros has outpaced inflation. Why? Because we the consumers have let the car companies just give us whatever and we accept. Demand more and get more people.. that's what I'm saying.
A bass Corvette is approximately 50 K. You can buy a base Mustang GT for around 28 to 29 K. The Mustang GT will easily keep pace with the base vette on a straight-line acceleration which is what people mostly drive. They drive straight on a highway. Ford gives a lot of performance for 28 K compared to 50k. 20k difference is quite big. How many old guys in Corvettes are track racing? You stop at red light on road and when light turns green , you slam that go pedal down and go straight.

Your just paying for the name Corvette!

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 6/25/13 at 03:52 PM.
Old 6/25/13, 04:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A bass Corvette is approximately 50 K. You can buy a base Mustang GT for around 28 to 29 K. The Mustang GT will easily keep pace with the base vette on a straight-line acceleration which is what people mostly drive. They drive straight on a highway. Ford gives a lot of performance for 28 K compared to 50k. 20k difference is quite big. How many old guys in Corvettes are track racing? You stop at red light on road and when light turns green , you slam that go pedal down and go straight.

Lol "old guys." You've seen them too! I thought I may have generalized a bit in my earlier posts.

Khaki golf shorts wearing, Hawaiian shirt flashing, magnum PI wannabe old timer playboys in shiny new Corvettes terrorizing the retirement community!

Too much? Lol

Last edited by Getportfolio; 6/25/13 at 04:37 PM.
Old 6/25/13, 04:40 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

You know, I keep hearing the same old "Mustangs can't go around corners" line but, to me, that's utter B.S. While I can't really throw my car into the mix because of its highly-modified suspension (my $35,000 Mustang can definitely "hang" with a coworker's base, non-Grand Sport-yet-more-than-$35,000 Corvette around corners), performing a simple Google search, just as Horus suggested, yields several articles. One article I found particularly interesting was one comparing the "touring-centric" 2010 Corvette Grand Sport to the then-new, aluminum-block GT500. Granted, there is a significant power and torque advantage for the GT500, but the two are compared based on their respective asking prices (the Corvette still costing several thousand dollars more than the GT500 in this test). I'll let you guys read the article but Road and Track's conclusion speaks volumes,

"After the dust had settled, the Ford Shelby GT500 came out as the winner. It can hang right with the Corvette Grand Sport in acceleration and handling—and in some cases, such as the skidpad, even outperform it. What's more, the Shelby's starting price is about $6000 less, while its as-tested price is almost $13,000 less. Don't get us wrong: The Corvette Grand Sport is one heckuva good car, and a true bargain in the Corvette world. But the Shelby GT500 is even more of a steal, and without question the most impressive Mustang we've ever driven."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...d-shelby-gt500
Old 6/25/13, 04:44 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio

Khaki golf shorts wearing, Hawaiian shirt flashing, magnum PI wannabe . . .
Sounds like a fashionable summertime outfit . . . as long as the Hawaiian shirt is a Tommy Bahama!
Old 6/25/13, 04:45 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Lol "old guys." You've seen them too! I thought I may have generalized a bit in my earlier posts.

Khaki golf shorts wearing, Hawaiian shirt flashing, magnum PI wannabe old timer playboys in shiny new Corvettes terrorizing the retirement community!

Too much? Lol
Haha, yeah, I find it funny that some are worried about what midlife crisis-mobile drivers think of their "it's just a Ford" Mustangs. I wish I could be a "cool" old man like some Corvette drivers I've met, with my Guido-wannabe getup -- with my spray tan, designer sun glasses, gold chains and golf hat. No, driving a Corvette doesn't have a stigma attached to it... sure....
Old 6/25/13, 05:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Too much? Lol
Lol. Seems like they are mostly older gentleman in there late 50's to 70 years of age
Old 6/25/13, 05:30 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

Lol. Seems like they are mostly older gentleman in there late 50's to 70 years of age
Many of them suffer from chromedomium
Old 6/25/13, 05:51 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,184 Likes on 1,630 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Many of them suffer from chromedomium
Old 6/25/13, 06:04 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 2011 5.0 was basically just as fast at the 2011 BMW M3 on the track with a 26k price difference. I would say the mustang has come a long way!

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/co...m3_comparison/
Old 6/26/13, 07:31 PM

And the common sterotype with Pony cars is they just came from a trailer park, Dodge's---the owners don't know crap about real sports cars, tuners are little kids that cant afford real cars..ect.

Would I have a Shelby before a Vette sure, but most average people will look at a Vette vs a Mustang and if the price difference is $10k or less ..they'll go for a Vette.
Do a search on 2014 Corvette, Chevy must have had a light go on upstairs, its been announced the new vette will come in many flavors, including a stripped down version with much less weight AND price (less than 50K), to make it more affordable to the average consumer. They drop the price too much and the only people buying Camaros and Mustangs will be fanboys. Maybe they see the writing on the wall with pony cars sales in the abyss.
My message is jus be informed and demand more. Ford didn't have a problem giving us a car in the 80's that would destroy its pony rivals, and did it at a great price point. Is it so wrong to ask for the same today? or should we just sit back and take whatever they feel like giving us despite other offers which may be a better value.
Old 6/26/13, 09:29 PM

You confused the trailer park stereotype with mullet wearing Camaro drivers.

The stereotype for the Mustang is the "American legend" muscle car for the practical hard working man.

It's nostalgia transcends every generation since its creation. The car is an icon and looked up to because of the influence it has had on pop culture and unmistakable identity in the sea of automobile mediocrity.

In addition, names like Lee Ioccoca, Carol Shelby, Steve McQueen, Steve Saleen, Jack Roush, instantly come to mind to even the most scrutinizing naysayer.

Ultimately, conjuring up images of what pure freedom and "total driving experience" truly is.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 6/26/13 at 09:30 PM.
Old 6/26/13, 09:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You confused the trailer park stereotype with mullet wearing Camaro drivers.

The stereotype for the Mustang is the "American legend" muscle car for the practical hard working man.

It's nostalgia transcends every generation since its creation. The car is an icon and looked up to because of the influence it has had on pop culture and unmistakable identity in the sea of automobile mediocrity.

In addition, names like Lee Ioccoca, Carol Shelby, Steve McQueen, Steve Saleen, Jack Roush, instantly come to mind to even the most scrutinizing naysayer.

Ultimately, conjuring up images of what pure freedom and "total driving experience" truly is.
You must be confused with only the Mustang clan. Outside of the mustang world, the 2011 was the biggest step forward for Mustang. Even still, a lot more people, even car buffs, think of the Mustang and their drivers as trailer trash or high school losers.

It's taken a lot for the mustang to overcome the stigma. I will say though that the Camaro gained more mullet stigma now then it did in the early 2000's.

The coyote and upgraded body were the best things to happen the the mustang in the car world as real competitors. At it was leaps ahead. The Mustang was and is hardly competing with the Camaro but much taller competition in the touring world. Point mustang.
Old 6/26/13, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Automagically

You must be confused with only the Mustang clan. Outside of the mustang world, the 2011 was the biggest step forward for Mustang. Even still, a lot more people, even car buffs, think of the Mustang and their drivers as trailer trash or high school losers.

It's taken a lot for the mustang to overcome the stigma. I will say though that the Camaro gained more mullet stigma now then it did in the early 2000's.

The coyote and upgraded body were the best things to happen the the mustang in the car world as real competitors. At it was leaps ahead. The Mustang was and is hardly competing with the Camaro but much taller competition in the touring world. Point mustang.
Thanks. My first boss drove an IROC-Z. I hated that guy. Lol
Old 6/27/13, 06:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vette is a good car, no doubt. But I'm married, not divorced or single and I need those rear seats. So win to the Mustang.

Quick Reply: Rumoured power outputs for '15