2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Mustang GT 2016 Transmission issue.

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/18, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Mustang GT 2016 Transmission issue.

Good day everyone, I fell into a difficult situation and do not know what to do. I love the mustang and rushed to buy. My bad. The dealer sold me a mustang with problems with transmission (Manual) . I have not driven a manual transmission for a long time and at first thought that I just need some time to get used to it. But a couple of days later realized that there are problems with the transmission. In silence can be heard grinding noise on the second gear and it's very difficult to switch to it. The dealer who sold me the car said that there is no problem with the transmission, but there are problems with the clutch. They said that I fully burned the clutch itself in a couple of days. I have to pay for the repair. Lawyers will not help me and I cannot do anything. But now it's not about that. There are some problems with the transmission and this is a very expensive repair. 10,000 miles of mileage. The car is still on factory warranty.May I go to the official dealer and try to do the repair under factory warranty? Carfax is clear, all preventative maintenance were done in time. I don’t have my plates, only "dealer logo plates" on the car. Any advises? Thanks,

Last edited by SeventySeven; 8/22/18 at 10:57 PM.
Old 8/23/18, 06:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Unhappy

Clutch is a wear item like brakes.
Not covered under warranty.
I would guess the previous owner beat the crap out of it knowing that it would not be his much longer.
This happened to me when I was a teenager (of course clutch replacement was cheaper decades ago).
Take it to a Ford dealer and plead ignorance, maybe they will take pity on you. They may fix any non-clutch problems under warranty.

Tell all your friends about the seller dealer that probably knew the clutch was going and found a sucker.
Old 8/23/18, 06:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Yeah... Don't be drooling for a car when shopping for one. Be aloof, be super critical, and be absolutely sure things are ok before signing the dotted line.

What? Oh... you meant about the clutch/transmission. Sorry, I got it now...

Ok, so the dealer said you burned up the clutch. Are you talking about a mechanic saying this to your face, or a sales person?

If you're talking a sales person, no, that's not who you deal with. At all. They sold you the car, you're done there. Go to the service department and get it looked at there and do not deal with the sales staff whatsoever in this.

Now, if you are talking about a service adviser, that's fine. Take it elsewhere. And pay for a good diagnostic service on it.

That said... clutch test is easy. Get it up to 20 mph, throw it in 4th, let the clutch out, stomp the throttle pedal. If the car just moves forward and just goes faster, the clutch is fine. If the engine revs up and the car doesn't pick up speed, clutch is toast. The other test is to go to a parking lot, aimed at empty space, put on the parking brake and foot brake (so the car can't move), put it in first, and ease the clutch all the way out. If the engine dies, clutch is fine. If the engine keeps running, dead clutch.

Clutch test fails? Ok, guess you need a clutch. Clutch test passes? They're full of (insert word for excrement) and you need to call them on it, or go to another dealer.

Now, to the grinding. That it's specific to 2nd gear, and it's difficult to get in 2nd, that's not a clutch. It would be *all* the gears if it were the clutch. Firstly, the clutch, unless it blew itself apart in some way (like chunks of something in the bell housing) will *NOT* make noises past maybe a nice 'sandpapery' sliding sound as the clutch engages when you let the pedal out, and that only really noticeable when you're next to a wall with the windows down and a non-modified-to-be-super-loud exhaust. Of course, if it's worn to rivets, it might make filing sounds as they get ground down/grind into the flywheel/pressure plate. Anyway, secondly, and most importantly, it's just about physically impossible for it to prevent only one gear selection no matter how messed up it could be.

So this dealership person, whomever it is, is lying through their teeth, IMO, and you might want to file a complaint somewhere about him/her. Of course, again, if it's the sales person, you're doing it wrong. Service only. You're completely done with sales in this matter. I said that already, didn't I? Hm. I forget things sometimes... well, anyway.

Now the question is, if it was Service that said it, do you deal with this place ever again? I'd say 'nope', they're not trustworthy and go somewhere else. Even if it's farther, if it's done right, it's done right. Worth the expenditure of time and effort rather than extract a pound of flesh to prove a point. Prove it by denying them every other cent you can, AND filing complaint somewhere.

But remember... this is me the armchair service adviser/mechanic at a keyboard examining this from afar and gettin' all kinds of conspiracy theories going in my head. It certainly seems to warrant second and even third opinions, and one of those not a dealer but someone who is trustworthy and knows cars. Don't suppose you have one of those lyin' around do ya?

I hope some of that helps. I hope I got something right for you here. Good luck! And welcome to the forums!

Last edited by houtex; 8/23/18 at 06:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
area5179 (8/25/18)