2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang Articles

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/13, 01:46 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford's Mustang has enough name recognition and buyers in foreign markets willing to pony up the cash for a car never meant to be sold there. So why not finally offer them a chance to own one and become more invested in the brand and growing the fan base around the world? Even if it might not sell in huge numbers, it could lead to increased sales of other Ford vehicles.
And like any other mass produced car sold in various countries around the world, it doesn't mean they will be 100% the same in terms of features, engines, suspension tuning, etc. - since they are tweaked to suit the regulations, tastes, and the price point that the local market can bear.

In any case, I see no problems with the Mustang beating the 2015 Camaro, given what the current one is capable of despite not having a modern IRS suspension and being down on displacement.
Old 8/25/13, 04:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bob
Carlos Ghosen is head of Nissan and Martin Winterkorn is head of Volkswagon, both companies that have been very successful in implementing the sort of strategy your denouncing by reducing the overall number of vehicle platforms with a global design.

Further, Volkswagen is on the verge of implementing a modular design that will further reduce the number of platforms in its inventory.

Bespoke engineering for market's sake might have been fine a decade or more ago but with mounting regulatory issues and a decline in the average person's wealth there isn't enough money available to make specialized platforms for a particular market.
I disagree. Historically, this has resulted in the companies doing these sorts of things eventually collapsing.

This has been tried before in the history of technology, but with a 100% failure rate. Fortunately for the CEOs, they only have to sell their "great new ideas" in the here and now. I'm familiar with why people defend them; the inability to learn from the past is pretty common.

Though it is odd you mention "mounting regulatory issues" and "decline in the average person's wealth" in the same sentence. Might there be a connection?

And no, am not a union employee. Just someone with the ability to read history, and the actual motivation to do it.

Dinosaurs look cool, but the rats always end up running the place when the asteroid hits.
Old 8/25/13, 04:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Number23
We don't because American's like their wagons on stilts.
This is a great example of ignorance of history. The ONLY reason American's "like their wagons on stilts" is due to the idiotic CAFE standards, which legislated fuel efficiency standards. These standards forced Americans who wanted reasonable transportation for more than four people or towing capacity to go to a truck platform, and thus was born the SUV. American pop culture then reverse engineered a reason to like them (they sit up higher) or (I feel safer in them).

The problem here is that obviously I am arguing with people incapable of understanding what I am saying, or who lack the basic context to get my point.

I will now move my efforts to arguing with my housecat. I expect better results.
Old 8/25/13, 05:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 67Drewstang

I disagree. Historically, this has resulted in the companies doing these sorts of things eventually collapsing.

This has been tried before in the history of technology, but with a 100% failure rate. Fortunately for the CEOs, they only have to sell their "great new ideas" in the here and now. I'm familiar with why people defend them; the inability to learn from the past is pretty common.

Though it is odd you mention "mounting regulatory issues" and "decline in the average person's wealth" in the same sentence. Might there be a connection?

And no, am not a union employee. Just someone with the ability to read history, and the actual motivation to do it.

Dinosaurs look cool, but the rats always end up running the place when the asteroid hits.
Ok give us examples of those companies that failed using the global strategy. Because as far as concern this has been working very well for BMW, Mercedes Benz & Audi and I don't see these companies going away anytime soon.
Old 8/25/13, 05:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Again, more slowly and for the not too bright among us.

Anyone whose goal is to make a company monolithic and unresponsive to local markets is an idiot and is making a huge mistake.

I don't know who these guys are from Adam, but in the 40 years I've been paying attention to business and the world, the above philosophy has led to monumental failure 100% of the time. 100%. No exceptions.
No exceptions?

Apple, McDonalds, BMW, Audi, LandRover, Coke, Red Bull, Mercedes, Sony, Samsung, Marlboro, FedEx, Disney, Budweiser, Starbucks, Gillette, Nike, H&M, Ikea, Prada, KFC...
Old 8/25/13, 06:03 PM
Cobra R Member

This is a great example of ignorance of history. The ONLY reason American's "like their wagons on stilts" is due to the idiotic CAFE standards, which legislated fuel efficiency standards. These standards forced Americans who wanted reasonable transportation for more than four people or towing capacity to go to a truck platform, and thus was born the SUV. American pop culture then reverse engineered a reason to like them (they sit up higher) or (I feel safer in them).

The problem here is that obviously I am arguing with people incapable of understanding what I am saying, or who lack the basic context to get my point.

I will now move my efforts to arguing with my housecat. I expect better results.
Dude, so wrong. I have been marketing cars for 25 years and trust me Americans simply decided they wanted SUVs (and later crossovers, wagons designed to look like SUVs) over the more efficient, better performing wagon. Europeans, with higher gas prices, tighter roads and a love of handling over speed still buy them.
Old 8/25/13, 06:34 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
To me the "retro" period was a necessary reset. Now the car can correctly evolve on the future.
I agree with this. The timing was right, the market wanted it, and it was a hit. One of the few in the last two decades for Ford. I also agree that it makes it much easier to evolve the design now, and save for the Fox and II design, can start to transition more naturally, a la Porsche 911 design. The identity hasn't changed, and the design still remains iconic. If the car can do the same as the 911 has for the next decade or two, I think the new group of owners (younger buyers) will appreciate that. Being one of those, I think keeping a basic design is key, instead of jumping all over the map at every major redesign.
Old 8/25/13, 06:39 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
No exceptions?

Apple, McDonalds, BMW, Audi, LandRover, Coke, Red Bull, Mercedes, Sony, Samsung, Marlboro, FedEx, Disney, Budweiser, Starbucks, Gillette, Nike, H&M, Ikea, Prada, KFC...
Are you assuming those companies didn't respond/adjust at all to local markets they entered?
As for the foreign auto's, didn't they offer LH drive for the US market? Don't they put MPH on their speedometers? Just a few examples...

I remember reading Costco's annual report a few year's back. They commented how their new stores in S Korea & Taiwan needed some modifications to products and marketing to lure customers into Costco's form of retail. They took local likes/dislikes into account, made adjustments, and now those stores are doing very well and adding to the company's overall growth.

Although Drew's arrogant method of communication is over the top, I can agree that you have to appease your various markets. You can't just barge into a market and say "my product is the best - take it as is!". At least I think that's what he's getting at through all the gruff.
Old 8/25/13, 07:59 PM
V6 Member

Wow, you are possessed of a truly repellant personality. I'll bet you're a hit at parties.

But it seems you've gone a bit far afield from your original grievance. As near as I'm able to determine, you posit that Ford is attempting to reduce the number of car platforms they produce and you think this is bad. Well I'm sorry to have to visit upon you the realities of a post crash global economy, but all but the most niche, cottage car builders are doing this very thing. They are doing this because their officers and shareholders wish to continue as profitable, ongoing concerns.

Last edited by Number23; 8/25/13 at 08:04 PM.
Old 8/25/13, 08:18 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I kind of want a mustang that doesn't look like a current gen mustang. I like the aston martin thing ford is doing, but I find myself want more jag in the design.

I love Aston. its amazing and its been put to good use in the current ford line up. However the mustang should not "SYNC" up with the fiesta, fusion or Taurus.. it should be the gem in the chest of gold and not simply another old coin.

so sexy

oh yeaah

fiesta fusion mustang
Old 8/25/13, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

For me the retro thing is not what would sway my buying either way. I love the way ford is moving and love the products.. We bought a 2011 Fiesta when it hit the market in 2011. Great little car, my wife wanted more room so we just picked up an escape. I went from a 06 Mustang to a 13, I wanted the features with the 13 Mustang and its look even though I love them was not in my thoughts for the purchase. The color was a bigger factor.. I waited from 06 to 13 because I wanted to stay green then came the 3.7L and the 6 speed. If the latest pics are the true Mustang it will sell but some loyalist may walk because not because its not retro but because it has more similarities with the rest of the line up than not..
Old 8/25/13, 08:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well, one things for sure. Ford has to change something because GM and the Camaro has kicked Fords a$$ for three years in a row selling more Camaro units than Mustang units. If I were a betting person, Chevy is selling more Camaro's than Mustangs so far for 2013.
Old 8/25/13, 08:41 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Well, one things for sure. Ford has to change something because GM and the Camaro has kicked Fords a$$ for three years in a row selling more Camaro units than Mustang units. If I were a betting person, Chevy is selling more Camaro's than Mustangs so far for 2013.
GM might be out selling them in units but they are not doing as well in the profit area which is what counts.
Old 8/25/13, 08:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang

GM might be out selling them in units but they are not doing as well in the profit area which is what counts.
Well, no doubt. But the mustang needs to be the king of the muscle car wars and be # 1 in sales because its a freaking awesome mustang. Lol.
Old 8/25/13, 08:49 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I get no joy or pride out of ford selling more units. Units sold do not make a car better. The cars every one on the planet would pick over a mustang or Camaro are sold in lower numbers and everyone agrees they are more popular.

Old 8/25/13, 09:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I get no joy or pride out of ford selling more units. Units sold do not make a car better. The cars every one on the planet would pick over a mustang or Camaro are sold in lower numbers and everyone agrees they are more popular.
But since the beginning Camaro and Mustang have gone head to head. The exotic cars are in a different class than the mustang and Camaro. The mustang is just raw sexy old school, new school muscle that is different than a hand made exotic car . Lol
Old 8/25/13, 09:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Are you assuming those companies didn't respond/adjust at all to local markets they entered?
As for the foreign auto's, didn't they offer LH drive for the US market? Don't they put MPH on their speedometers? Just a few examples...

I remember reading Costco's annual report a few year's back. They commented how their new stores in S Korea & Taiwan needed some modifications to products and marketing to lure customers into Costco's form of retail. They took local likes/dislikes into account, made adjustments, and now those stores are doing very well and adding to the company's overall growth.

Although Drew's arrogant method of communication is over the top, I can agree that you have to appease your various markets. You can't just barge into a market and say "my product is the best - take it as is!". At least I think that's what he's getting at through all the gruff.
And "one Ford" will do all that, allow for market tailorization.
Old 8/25/13, 09:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Overboost

I agree with this. The timing was right, the market wanted it, and it was a hit. One of the few in the last two decades for Ford. I also agree that it makes it much easier to evolve the design now, and save for the Fox and II design, can start to transition more naturally, a la Porsche 911 design. The identity hasn't changed, and the design still remains iconic. If the car can do the same as the 911 has for the next decade or two, I think the new group of owners (younger buyers) will appreciate that. Being one of those, I think keeping a basic design is key, instead of jumping all over the map at every major redesign.
Exactly. Well said.
Old 8/25/13, 09:36 PM
FR500 Member

Porsche has barely changed its design since the beginning. Rather theyve been constantly evolving it with the times and the technology.

Yes Ford had the retro era but like it or not its time to depart. With the new "One Ford" plan its an all new start for the company, why not bring a brand new Mustang (their icon) into the mix? I thought the EVOS concept was drop dead beautiful and if the new Mustang looks anything like it with some more DNA thrown in, we'll have a winner.

For those of you who instantly said or thought it was garbage or not going to succeed, look at how dramatic the new edge was from the fox! Yet they were two of the most popular models in the lineups history. Then the market crashed in 06 and things have been rough ever since but the Mustang held strong and its one of the most popular cars on the road today for many reasons. If its labeled mustang, RWD, v8, manual, coupe that seats four, and has some cues from different generations then it will warm over well in the other countries.

Ford Australia just lost the Falcon, so the Mustang will be loved by Ford loyalists who dont want to switch to Vauxhall. The euro market needs something for its smaller roads that can satisfy it corner and tech loving population. We Americans just want something that shouts mustang, satisfactory tech, great straight line speed but also the ability to take the twistys with ease.

I have faith that Ford will bring home the trophy (and cash) when the days over while still holding many of its more extreme enthusiasts in high opinion due to the rasical game changing character of the next gen mustang. A game changer, just like the original
Old 8/26/13, 03:07 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Well said, Steve.

It will certainly be a lot easier to slowly evolve S550 from this point.......and hopefully, when we've seen all of S550 (sides/rear/interior) we'll be able to clearly tell where it's still paying an homage to the s197 and all previous generations of Mustang.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang Articles