Notices
Past Rumor Archive All the rumors and media hype for the 2011-2014 model years.

2013 MY refresh

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/11, 09:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Back on to topic

Anyway I think if Ford would make the Diaper a body color it would give it a more appealing look to it and not look so cheap. As for the lights can we please get those changed? I like the three light idea but having the reverse lights in between them looks to much, the rear end is busy enough with all the curves and lines as is. If you made just straight lights they look out of place in there, I think the lights that look best are the Shelby GT350 lights, maybe do something like that but please keep the reverse lights small and not next to the turn signal/brake lights maybe somehow incorporate them into the diaper or make them run along the bottom of the lights in a straight line but please do something about the lights.
Old 2/2/11, 10:56 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can see the small rectangles in the center of the taillights, I'd like to see a similar application, but turned vertically, on the Mustang tails. You could make the area between the cells black and blend in, then use a high power LED for the reverse lights.

I'd like to see more LED use period on the car. Make the Mustang one of the first Ford vehicles to utilize LED lighting for accessory and secondary lighting. License plate lights, side markers, running lamps, etc. could be converted, so that only the headlamps would not be LED (keep them HID).
Old 2/2/11, 11:08 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God please no AWD, if I wanted AWD I would have bought an Evo. RWD RWD RWD. I will most likely get the 2014, MY2015 mustang if it's as big of a step forward as I think it will be, I WILL NOT if it is AWD. It'll be time to look at someone other than Ford. Make it smaller, whatever, AWD, HELL NO. 3300 lbs and 450Hp, RWD, proper 6speed manual and great IRS, I will buy no question, awd, no buy.
Old 2/3/11, 09:16 AM
GTR Member

Other things that would be cool:

- Ford blue interior option similar to the brick red 401A
- New paint choices. Pearl white, tuxedo black, or some new pearl/tri-coat options.

The latter was inspired by that "Grabber Green" Boss 302 in that Speed program. I'd like to see Ford offer some more exotic colors as options.
Old 2/3/11, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

What about having a Lincoln variant that will have AWD and RWD options but keep the mustang RWD?
Old 2/3/11, 11:35 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
What about having a Lincoln variant that will have AWD and RWD options but keep the mustang RWD?
You won't see that during a refresh.
Old 2/3/11, 11:55 AM
Cobra R Member

I think Ford could do a lot of small things to make a minor refresh. Most car companies for example revise the grille and bumpers. I think getting a new pattern on the grille would be cool... ditch the honeycomb for a more traditional design and maybe get mach1-like fog lights Another idea could be to tint the tail lights or just change them altogether kinda how ford changed the tails between 95 to 96. Just a couple realistic ideas that Ford could do
Old 2/3/11, 01:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
You won't see that during a refresh.
My bad, kinda went away from the refresh topic
Old 2/3/11, 01:55 PM
GT Member

I'd like to see this in 2014, if not in a refresh.

1) IRS - It is high time that the Mustang switched over. Good shocks/struts can only do so much when it comes to ride quality and control.

2) 450 HP - why not?

3) Get the gas mileage of the GT up to the current level of the V6.

4) More interior color options, especially when it comes to the premier trim option. If I can get a BMW (even an M3) with a tan, gray, or saddle interior, why is it that Ford restricts me to ugly dark charcoal?

5) Don't lose the retro completely. What sealed the deal for me on the 05-09 cars was the numeric font on the spedometer and rpm dials. The 10-11's carry this over, and it's a nice nod to the car's heritage.

I think by 2014, I'm going to be looking at a new car, and I'd love a 400+ horsepower Mustang with IRS. Otherwise, I may start looking at other options.
Old 2/4/11, 02:20 AM

I have been a Ford and Mustang guy my whole life and I am currently on my 4th Mustang. This post has two main parts, the first is what Ford should do with the current model facelift and the second is what should be incorporated with the completely new styled Mustang.

As with many, I love the 2010+ body style (especially that nice rear quarter shoulder haunch), but the rear end is hideous. I could bash it all day, but instead I will post what I consider to be a gorgeous solution. This is actually an image from Cervini’s Auto Design, but anything that looks similar to this would be AMAZING!!!

With that being said, if I could chose what to do with the newly styled Mustang here are my requests:
The V6 would still be offered with the great new 3.7L Ti-VCT motor and 6-speed tranny with a solid rear axle (for cost savings).
The GT would be offered with the same 5.0L Ti-VCT motor and 6-speed tranny with a solid rear axle (also for cost savings). However, there would also be an option for the 3.5L Ecoboost V6 pumping out a similar 400hp.
Lastly, the Shelby would be offered with only a 5.0L Ecoboost and 6-speed tranny with an IRS system. The Shelby is priced just above $50,000 and the main reason that the solid rear is still employed is the cost. In my opinion someone buying a Shelby is not too concerned with a couple thousand dollar increase for a nice IRS system. There are several reasons why I would prefer a turbo system over the current 5.4L supercharged system. First off is the performance aspect, without the supercharger’s parasitic loss you can get as much power out of the smaller displaced 5.0L. Additionally, with the turbo’s slight lag the Shelby would be able to get off the line without all that traction robbing low-end torque and have much more pull for the top-end. Furthermore, you could have great mods such as an electronic boost controller that eliminates having to swap pullies to change boost levels and you could even designate certain boost levels for each individual gear. This would be awesome because you could run short gears like 1st and 2nd at low boost levels and kick up the power on mid to higher gears like 3rd and up.
Ford has been doing some great things as of late and I’m sure that this would be a really cool venture……
Attached Thumbnails 2013 MY refresh-stangrear.jpg  
Old 2/4/11, 09:36 AM
GTR Member

The original point of this thread was to discuss if any minor changes were going to be made to the current platform next year, not the rumored redesign in 14/15. There are several threads on that.
Old 2/4/11, 01:27 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Two Thousand and THIRTEEN

Thanks Overboost......kinda hard to keep you guys on-topic

First spyshot!

OK, only joking, this was a PS from when the 2010 was first launched. Can't remember who did it (looks like a TopNotch job)

Old 2/5/11, 10:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Thanks Overboost......kinda hard to keep you guys on-topic

First spyshot!

OK, only joking, this was a PS from when the 2010 was first launched. Can't remember who did it (looks like a TopNotch job)

Even if this was a spy shot I wouldnt be to happy with the design of the taillights
Old 2/5/11, 10:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd like to see a few small visual tweaks to differentiate the 2013 from the last two years.

First off, even though I'm one of the few that like the current rear end, I think it could still be made a bit better and cleaner looking. The overall shape of the tail lights is fine, but do away with the "candy cane" look. It's a nice idea, but just doesn't look that great as executed. Basically I'd just like to see new tail lights that have a more simple look, and a cleaner bumper/diffuser.

Other than that, maybe a slightly different hood and front bumper and possibly a new grill pattern. Nothing major, but enough to give it a visual update.
Old 2/6/11, 01:20 AM
FR500 Member

The grille and driving lights, and most definitely the whole rear end should be revised.
Old 2/6/11, 02:12 AM
GTR Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Clino
I'd like to see a few small visual tweaks to differentiate the 2013 from the last two years.

First off, even though I'm one of the few that like the current rear end, I think it could still be made a bit better and cleaner looking. The overall shape of the tail lights is fine, but do away with the "candy cane" look. It's a nice idea, but just doesn't look that great as executed. Basically I'd just like to see new tail lights that have a more simple look, and a cleaner bumper/diffuser.

Other than that, maybe a slightly different hood and front bumper and possibly a new grill pattern. Nothing major, but enough to give it a visual update.

Good stuff......and just what I want to see, too. I'd also like to see some redesigned headlights. I really like the current standard lights, but the HIDs just don't do it for me as they lose the distinctive round "eyes" that give a car its face. So, that's another change I'd like to see.

I wonder if we'll see the lower plastic, specifically the side sills, painted?

Keep the good ideas coming.

Old 2/6/11, 07:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I would like to see some of the black plastic painted, but I am not going to wait for Ford to do that. I will get it done once I am confident that someone can reasonably get close to matching Lava Red
Old 2/6/11, 09:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
I would like to see some of the black plastic painted, but I am not going to wait for Ford to do that. I will get it done once I am confident that someone can reasonably get close to matching Lava Red
Honestly every 10+ car with the black plastic painted, looks awful, huge, and straight up ugly.
Old 2/6/11, 09:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by neevers1
Honestly every 10+ car with the black plastic painted, looks awful, huge, and straight up ugly.
This.
Old 2/7/11, 01:36 PM
GTR Member

Cool

I don't suppose the refresh will be this extensive......but if it was.......

Quick Reply: 2013 MY refresh