Notices
Past Rumor Archive All the rumors and media hype for the 2011-2014 model years.

2013 MY refresh

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/11, 03:21 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 MY refresh

I appreciate this thread should probably sit in the 2010+ section, but I think it'll get lost pretty quickly in there. However, mods please move if you feel it appropriate

2013 MY refresh:

There have been hints that there may be a bit of a facelift before the all new next-generation Mustang hits the streets. This was given a little bit more credibility with the quote, below, from J Mays. So, if it happens I guess we can expect most of the changes to be at the rear, with some subtle tweaks up front.

So, this'll be the thread to discuss what we might get, and what we want!

Feel free to post some Photoshoppery tweaks to show what you'd like to see

Originally Posted by Overboost
When the 2013MY gets a slight refresh.

http://autoholics.com/2011/01/11/Det...ustangs-490659

You didn't think I could come to Detroit and not post pics of a bunch of Mustangs, did you? I couldn't get much out of J Mays about the next generation of the Mustang, slated to launch as a 50th anniversary model (expect smaller, IRS). I asked if the current version will get any sheetmetal tweaks before that time, and mentioned that a lot of Mustang enthusiasts weren't terribly pleased with the posterior of the 2010 and 2011 cars. Mays said that they closely monitor the feedback in the forums and that no one should be surprised if there are some tweaks before the launch of the next generation car.

Here are some examples......

Burningman's improved rear end!

Old 1/30/11, 07:12 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know if it were me, I'd want the angle of the rear end to come closer to vertical than it is now.

Interested to see what changes, if any, come down the line...
Old 1/30/11, 08:05 AM
GTR Member

I know if it were me, I'd want the angle of the rear end to come closer to vertical than it is now.

Interested to see what changes, if any, come down the line...

If only we knew someone with inside information..............
Old 1/30/11, 11:57 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the stang will be brand new for 2014, I wouldn't expect any sheetmetal tweaks for 2013. That would seem like a waste of $ for one year only(?)
Old 1/30/11, 12:07 PM
GTR Member

I do agree with you, and those were my first thoughts. However, I've seen more than one reference to a "refresh" on these forums, and the quote from J Mays in the interview I linked to, above, throws a little more fuel on the fire.

Perhaps, and this is purely a guess, MY2013 will be a long one and the celebrations for the 50th anniversary will include a concept car, or a 95% production ready prototype of the next-gen car, with that car going into production as a MY2015

If that's the case, it's possible it would be cost effective to tool up for some subtle sheet metal changes. If so, I'd expect to see some camo'd mules around in 6 months time, or so.

Old 1/30/11, 12:14 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by born2run74
If the stang will be brand new for 2014, I wouldn't expect any sheetmetal tweaks for 2013. That would seem like a waste of $ for one year only(?)
You obviously didn't see the thread where it was spelled out pretty clear that the redesign isn't until 2015MY...
Old 1/30/11, 01:30 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Skipping the "when is the all-new coming out" game, people need to be mindful that the current sub-par posterior exists for a reason. I doubt they can "shave" it all that much and still have clearance for everything.

Personally, I'd be happy if they just cleaned it up some, made it more coherent like the back of the Taurus. NOTE: I'm not saying graft the rear of the Taurus, I'm saying clean LIKE the rear of the Taurus
Old 1/30/11, 01:59 PM
GTR Member

I think my biggest gripe on the rear is the reverse indicators between the segments of the lamp itself. I like the overall shape, and think it works well, but would like to see something else done with the reverse lights. If the segments were to grow and take up that space, and the reverse indicator was a bit smaller and mounted on the center most "segment" of the tail light, I think it would look cleaner.
Old 1/30/11, 02:35 PM
Cobra Member

I don't mind the interpersed backup lights in the way they give the illusion of spacing out the "tri-bar" tail lights, similar to the '69-'70 tail light spacing. However, I'd be fine if they moved the backup lights as long as the tails remained spaced apart. I do think each tail light "bar" should each be the same, uniform size. I dislike how the outboard ones get increasingly smaller and scrunched. Also, one of the biggest points of contention-the "diaper"-probably needs to go. Of the renderings above, I think Burningman has the right idea.
Old 1/30/11, 03:20 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the candycanes...
but that's just me.

I wouldn't expect big changes.
Could even be one of those 'only ones with a keen eye could tell the difference' things.
Old 1/30/11, 04:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well this is kind of like when you buy a computer and as soon as you leave the store, they is a better , more powerful one available. I like my 2011 with it's flaws and wouldn't want Ford to change a thing until the 2014 redesign as i wouldn't be a happy camper. I guess what i'm saying is don't change the rear end, don't hide that satellite wart, don't integrate the radio antenna some place esle and don't change anything else that might have me running to my nearest Ford dealership because i'd be a jealous of that guy in his 2013. On the other end, you might want to consider all the above changes for the 50th anniversary car as i will probably be ready for a new updated Mustang with IRS. Thx
Old 1/30/11, 06:18 PM
GT Member

You obviously didn't see the thread where it was spelled out pretty clear that the redesign isn't until 2015MY...
Yeah, but the car would be out in 2014, right?

Last edited by born2run74; 1/30/11 at 06:23 PM.
Old 1/30/11, 10:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Which is what Ford has been doing lately, I mean the 2011 Must. GT was out in June 2010.

Dave
Old 1/31/11, 12:30 AM
Bullitt Member

At this point, I do not think anything has been made clear. There is a good argument for 2015 in that the 1964 1/2 model year was actually labeled a 1965. There also is a good case for model year 2014 being the redesign. So far the anniversary editions have been celebrating 1964 model year as the first one, right or wrong. If it is the 2015 model year, then essentially there will be an extra model year separating the 45th and 50th anniversary. I read the discussion, and you really cannot say for sure it will be 2015 unless you happen to be an insider that knows for sure. There really are things they can do either way to justify their decision.

What is clear is that Ford will be making the mustang smaller, and it will be a very big deal. I am not personally holding out for the 50th to be all that and a bag of chips; I am getting my 2012 now, and do not plan to get rid of it. If they can give me 425+ hp in a naturally aspirated engine in a car that weighs less than 3300 pounds and has improved handling, then I will find a way to get one, too.
Old 1/31/11, 12:35 AM
GTR Member

I would say so.

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
At this point, I do not think anything has been made clear. There is a good argument for 2015 in that the 1964 1/2 model year was actually labeled a 1965. There also is a good case for model year 2014 being the redesign. So far the anniversary editions have been celebrating 1964 model year as the first one, right or wrong. If it is the 2015 model year, then essentially there will be an extra model year separating the 45th and 50th anniversary. I read the discussion, and you really cannot say for sure it will be 2015 unless you happen to be an insider that knows for sure. There really are things they can do either way to justify their decision.

What is clear is that Ford will be making the mustang smaller, and it will be a very big deal. I am not personally holding out for the 50th to be all that and a bag of chips; I am getting my 2012 now, and do not plan to get rid of it. If they can give me 425+ hp in a naturally aspirated engine in a car that weighs less than 3300 pounds and has improved handling, then I will find a way to get one, too.
The whole topic of when the redesign is coming out has been discussed a lot, and every time someone says it's going to be a '15MY, there's a nonbeliever somewhere arguing that point.

Last edited by Overboost; 1/31/11 at 12:37 AM.
Old 1/31/11, 12:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I would say so.

The whole topic of when the redesign is coming out has been discussed a lot, and every time someone says it's going to be a '15MY, there's a nonbeliever somewhere arguing that point.
I know you have seen a whole lot more threads than I have here, but there really isn't always just one unbeliever against the overwhelming consensus that it is 2015 MY. There certainly is good logic in that, and I am not denying that it could easily be 2015. But given the history of anniversary editions being what they are, there is solid reasoning that Ford can use, should it decide to that 2014 MY is the 50th. The point is that they really can justify a decision either way. There are obviously a whole bunch of factors coming into play here, but since I am getting a new car soon I am prepared to wait to see all the details. If you know of any thread that I have not seen that completely explains why Ford did the anniversary editions in the years they did, and why this will change, then please post a link. Otherwise, I am personally content to just wait and see what happens. Either way, I will be fine with it.
Old 1/31/11, 09:32 AM

I wouldn't expect any sheet metal changes, but bumper caps, especially the lumpy full-diaper in the rear, could readily be changed without too much (relatively speaking) effort.
Old 1/31/11, 12:13 PM
GTR Member

Well, I'm looking forward to the first spy-shots
Old 1/31/11, 06:40 PM
BOSS Member

..like the sands of the hourglass, these are the days of our lives...
Old 1/31/11, 07:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Which is what Ford has been doing lately, I mean the 2011 Must. GT was out in June 2010.

Dave
Yep, and the 2012 is being produced now

Quick Reply: 2013 MY refresh