Notices
Past Rumor Archive All the rumors and media hype for the 2011-2014 model years.

2013 MY refresh

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/11, 10:20 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by xlover
i definitely do not want to be a GT500 poser and i love the current hood.
You think that if the front end has the same flow as the 'current' GT500 you're a poser?
Old 5/11/11, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
You think that if the front end has the same flow as the 'current' GT500 you're a poser?
Depends entirely on the level of similarity. I reserve judgement based on the final product. but the spy photos were not encouraging, then again it was covered in the vortex wrap. I understand why the nose on the GT500 sticks out farther to balance the higher hood that accommodates the supercharger and vents. but that would seen unnecessary to me on the GT.
Old 5/11/11, 10:34 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends entirely on the level of similarity. I reserve judgement based on the final product. but the spy photos were not encouraging, then again it was covered in the vortex wrap. I understand why the nose on the GT500 sticks out farther to balance the higher hood that accommodates the supercharger and vents. but that would seen unnecessary to me on the GT.
If at the sake of looking like the GT500, but gaining improved aero and better high speed stability, you'd still prefer to be more "unique"? I'm no expert on aerodynamics, but with that different front edge and the vents in the hood, they're probably there for a reason. Small aero gains may mean a higher top speed, and/or less cowl shake and better fuel economy.
Old 5/11/11, 12:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
If at the sake of looking like the GT500, but gaining improved aero and better high speed stability, you'd still prefer to be more "unique"? I'm no expert on aerodynamics, but with that different front edge and the vents in the hood, they're probably there for a reason. Small aero gains may mean a higher top speed, and/or less cowl shake and better fuel economy.
i have not seen anything indicating the GT500 has significantly better or worse aerodynamics than the GT or V6 but if that is the case it would make sense from an engineering standpoint. i would think it would require more than a few bps improvement for them to make a significant change based only on engineering factors. other than that they want to do it for purely aesthetic reasons.
Old 5/11/11, 12:39 PM
GTR Member

i have not seen anything indicating the GT500 has significantly better or worse aerodynamics than the GT or V6 but if that is the case it would make sense from an engineering standpoint. i would think it would require more than a few bps improvement for them to make a significant change based only on engineering factors. other than that they want to do it for purely aesthetic reasons.
With a change like that, they'll explain in detail during the unveil what benefits it may have. It's not purely for one or the other (aesthetic or aero).
Old 5/11/11, 12:40 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Keep in mind, we haven't see the 2013 GT500 front end yet either....
Old 5/11/11, 01:07 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Keep in mind, we haven't see the 2013 GT500 front end yet either....
Maybe, to reduce tooling costs, the 2013 GT500 will sport a 2012 GT front end

OK, maybe not

Can't wait to see what's in store!
Old 5/11/11, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
I agree with this most, if anything i am a bit over anxious becuase i already have planned on buying a 2013 and i don't want ford to screw up my plan by doing something i don't like. haha
Old 5/11/11, 02:09 PM
GTR Member

I agree with this most, if anything i am a bit over anxious becuase i already have planned on buying a 2013 and i don't want ford to screw up my plan by doing something i don't like. haha
I think you'll have some time between the unveil and production to figure out if you prefer a '12 or '13.
Old 5/11/11, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I think you'll have some time between the unveil and production to figure out if you prefer a '12 or '13.
i dont think there would be enough time for me to get a new order in on a 2012 by then.

However that brings up the question of how much fanfare will accompany this reveal. speacial event? auto show unveiling? or just a press release? I am guessing press release around the time the order guides become available.
Old 5/11/11, 02:25 PM
GTR Member

I'd expect more than just a press release. Lets face it, Ford milked the launch of the 2010 for all it could get (one "tease" photo a week for 5 weeks or so?). Not quite so intensive with the 2011 5.0 and V6, but enough of a fanfare for me.

I'm sure they'll let us know loud and clear that the 2013 are with us
Old 5/11/11, 02:30 PM
GTR Member

i dont think there would be enough time for me to get a new order in on a 2012 by then.

However that brings up the question of how much fanfare will accompany this reveal. speacial event? auto show unveiling? or just a press release? I am guessing press release around the time the order guides become available.
Well, funny you should say that, I was thinking about this myself the other day. Looking at the rest of the 2011 calendar year, the only big auto show left is LA, near the end of the year. Ford could do something at the Woodward Cruise again this year, but the LA show seems more likely, followed by the GT500 at Detroit in early 2012.

If Ford did the unveil in Aug. at WWDC, you'd have 3-4 months before the order banks would close.
Old 5/11/11, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Red Jay
wasnt there like an turbo'd stang a few months ago that was red and had those same wheels?? had the Boss gauges too, and i think a visible intercooler.... what if this is that Mustang?
That wasn't a turbo car; the general consensus is that it was a Boss powertrain mule. No boost gauge was visible in the interior shots, and no turbo engine (save the late RB26DETT) can spin close to 9,000 RPM from the factory.
Old 5/11/11, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 01Saleen
I have been a Ford and Mustang guy my whole life and I am currently on my 4th Mustang. This post has two main parts, the first is what Ford should do with the current model facelift and the second is what should be incorporated with the completely new styled Mustang.

As with many, I love the 2010+ body style (especially that nice rear quarter shoulder haunch), but the rear end is hideous. I could bash it all day, but instead I will post what I consider to be a gorgeous solution. This is actually an image from Cervini’s Auto Design, but anything that looks similar to this would be AMAZING!!!

With that being said, if I could chose what to do with the newly styled Mustang here are my requests:
The V6 would still be offered with the great new 3.7L Ti-VCT motor and 6-speed tranny with a solid rear axle (for cost savings).
The GT would be offered with the same 5.0L Ti-VCT motor and 6-speed tranny with a solid rear axle (also for cost savings). However, there would also be an option for the 3.5L Ecoboost V6 pumping out a similar 400hp.
Lastly, the Shelby would be offered with only a 5.0L Ecoboost and 6-speed tranny with an IRS system. The Shelby is priced just above $50,000 and the main reason that the solid rear is still employed is the cost. In my opinion someone buying a Shelby is not too concerned with a couple thousand dollar increase for a nice IRS system. There are several reasons why I would prefer a turbo system over the current 5.4L supercharged system. First off is the performance aspect, without the supercharger’s parasitic loss you can get as much power out of the smaller displaced 5.0L. Additionally, with the turbo’s slight lag the Shelby would be able to get off the line without all that traction robbing low-end torque and have much more pull for the top-end. Furthermore, you could have great mods such as an electronic boost controller that eliminates having to swap pullies to change boost levels and you could even designate certain boost levels for each individual gear. This would be awesome because you could run short gears like 1st and 2nd at low boost levels and kick up the power on mid to higher gears like 3rd and up.
Ford has been doing some great things as of late and I’m sure that this would be a really cool venture……
Thank god you don't work for Ford. THANK GOD
Old 5/11/11, 06:32 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe, to reduce tooling costs, the 2013 GT500 will sport a 2012 GT front end

OK, maybe not

That would be a Massive improvement in my book
Old 5/13/11, 12:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

Just nothing to get excited about yet. I will get excited when I see a GT500 with rear wells large enough to allow me to bolt on 12 inch wide rims.
Old 6/29/11, 06:19 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdlgfe6UWtI

The stang in that vid has a GT500 conversion kit. Could look similar to the refreshed GT...
Old 6/30/11, 02:23 PM
GTR Member

Good find.........and when I read the 2013 GT may feature a GT500-like nose, that was the car that first came to mind. I've not seen any other coversions on the '10+ cars.

I'd be happy if the '13 GT looked like that
Old 7/1/11, 07:51 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good find.........and when I read the 2013 GT may feature a GT500-like nose, that was the car that first came to mind. I've not seen any other coversions on the '10+ cars.

I'd be happy if the '13 GT looked like that
Same here Paul, not too shabby
Old 8/3/11, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Its about time for more spy shots and leaked info......

Quick Reply: 2013 MY refresh