Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

ANOTHER MT-82 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/13, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Awesome! Thank you for the update, Ibnzmonkey!

I know the members here have great suggestions regarding your concerns, 2014GTTP. I recommend you take your ‘Stang in and have it diagnosed. Also, I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service managers for your areas as well. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number as soon as possible.

Deysha
Deysha, I have a brand new 2014, Track Pack with 2400 miles on it. I have the same MT82 transmission issues that have been evident since 2011. Clutch feels fine although the friction point is higher than I'm used to.. about 2.5" off the floor. It never "Grinds", but I can often feel the tooth go by then catch when shifting. It pretty much happens in all gears except 6th. Cold is worse, but warm is bad too. For now I'm shifting real slow to prevent trans damage. No whine to speak of. The standard diagnosis from the old days would be a sticking pilot bearing. If I sit stopped with the engine reved to 2K RPM, clutch in.. and shift from neutral to any gear, it feels a little notchy but no teeth going by) than engine stopped. I think this means the input shaft is rotating when in neutral and clutch fully in.. the syncros can't deal with the pilot bearing drag. Reading the threads, it seems that the sure fire fix is to replace the flywheel and clutch (and pilot bearing by default). The Oil, and Friction Modifier changes seem to be mostly miss. I'm thinking the pilot bearing (lubrication or tight clearance) is the cause. A misaligned transmission to engine (Bell Housing) could cause a similar issue. Has Ford evaluated the pilot bearing? Comments?
Old 8/15/13, 05:56 PM

Deysha,

I have experienced a terminal problem with the shifter in my Boss 302. To shorten the story considerably, over the last year or so that I've owned the car sometimes when I would try to downshift into 1st gear from 2nd gear very quickly (like you might when you're trying to get the car down a gear and your hands back on the wheel for a very tight turn), the transmission would grind badly and I would have to just try to put it back into second gear.

After reading all the stories I've been reading about the shifter and the transmission, I figured it was just normal and didn't say anything about it to my service department. (I should have). Well, a few weekends ago this same thing happened 2 or 3 times and after the last time, my reverse gear would no longer work.

All the times that happened, it turns out, the reverse lockout wasn't preventing the gear shifter from going into reverse and was causing transmission damage. Purplexed how this could happen, I tried to replicate this problem on a a friend's Boss (while stationary, of course) and found that without pushing down on the top of the shifter at all, the shifter will go into reverse from 2nd gear.

I have explained this to the dealer service manager and to the regional service manager. The dealer service manager claims to be on my side but is saying that Ford is denying my claim. "Technical assistance" thus far has only said that "damage due to bypassing the reverse lockout will not be warrantable." Except that, of course, I did not bypass the reverse lockout.

Is there anything that you can do to help me out in this situation? I can not seem to get any assistance from anyone at Ford who will listen to my side.

Cheers.
Old 8/16/13, 10:56 AM

Could be Deysha isn't around anymore.. not sure.. haven't seen a response in a while.

mark
Old 8/16/13, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by 5_Ohhh
Could be Deysha isn't around anymore.. not sure.. haven't seen a response in a while.

mark
Well, it's only been 3 days.
Old 8/17/13, 08:56 PM

I'm PM'd Deysha with my vitals, going to call the Dealership on Monday but in Wichita Kansas the Blacktop Nationals are next weekend. I don't want to risk Ford having it that weekend so I'll wait another week. If the guys can fix it (with a washer on the shifter or realigning it) then I'll let em try and keep the MGW in my back pocket for now. Had a Bullitt with a 3rd gear issue and changing the oil was everything! Probably that would help too.

Funny thing (so to speak) is every time I bypass 2nd and go from 1st to 3rd it'll grind. Showing the guys @ Ford won't be an issue for sure.
Old 8/19/13, 08:53 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Deysha, I have a brand new 2014, Track Pack with 2400 miles on it. I have the same MT82 transmission issues that have been evident since 2011. Clutch feels fine although the friction point is higher than I'm used to.. about 2.5" off the floor....
Originally Posted by Boss #2452
Deysha,
I have experienced a terminal problem with the shifter in my Boss 302. To shorten the story considerably, over the last year or so that I've owned the car sometimes when I would try to downshift into 1st gear from 2nd gear very quickly (like you might when you're trying to get the car down a gear and your hands back on the wheel for a very tight turn), the transmission would grind badly and I would have to just try to put it back into second gear....
Hello guys,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I need both of you to make appointments with your Ford Dealers to have them diagnose all of your current concerns. I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service managers for your areas as well. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by 2014GTTP
I'm PM'd Deysha with my vitals, going to call the Dealership on Monday but in Wichita Kansas the Blacktop Nationals are next weekend. I don't want to risk Ford having it that weekend so I'll wait another week. If the guys can fix it (with a washer on the shifter or realigning it) then I'll let em try and keep the MGW in my back pocket for now. Had a Bullitt with a 3rd gear issue and changing the oil was everything! Probably that would help too.

Funny thing (so to speak) is every time I bypass 2nd and go from 1st to 3rd it'll grind. Showing the guys @ Ford won't be an issue for sure.
Thank you, 2014GTTP! I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 8/19/13, 05:02 PM

Thanks Deysha.. I'll make an appointment and PM in progress.. Thanks!

mark
Old 8/19/13, 11:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
[...]
I'm really wasting my time here though.
[...]
You can say that again.
Old 8/20/13, 10:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by frank s
You can say that again.
Yep actually he was wasting a lot of other people's time with needless comments and insults, so he'll have some time to think about it.

I cleaned up this thread and would ask that the posts here are kept on topic and not aimed at purely insulting other members.
Old 8/21/13, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by tom281
Yep actually he was wasting a lot of other people's time with needless comments and insults, so he'll have some time to think about it.

I cleaned up this thread and would ask that the posts here are kept on topic and not aimed at purely insulting other members.
Sorry if I contributed to the problem...
Old 8/21/13, 05:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
No worries.
Old 8/21/13, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by FordService
Hello guys,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I need both of you to make appointments with your Ford Dealers to have them diagnose all of your current concerns. I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service managers for your areas as well. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number as soon as possible.

Thank you, 2014GTTP! I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Got an appointment this Monday.. Finger's crossed! They said leave it one day which works for me if this gets fixed.. Thanks Deysha!

mark
Old 8/24/13, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

This thread has really escalated!

Update: My car is running smooth as a top. It seems as though this new version of the clutch is MUCH stiffer than my previous. When I was under the car doing an oil change I noticed that they changed the clutch line to a steel braided instead of what I assumed was once rubber.

Interesting.
Old 8/25/13, 11:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ibnzmonkey
This thread has really escalated!

Update: My car is running smooth as a top. It seems as though this new version of the clutch is MUCH stiffer than my previous. When I was under the car doing an oil change I noticed that they changed the clutch line to a steel braided instead of what I assumed was once rubber.

Interesting.
That is interesting; wonder if they feel they're losing some pressure control through hose expansion. Maybe a revised part and number available?
Old 8/25/13, 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lime GT
That is interesting; wonder if they feel they're losing some pressure control through hose expansion. Maybe a revised part and number available?
I am not 100% sure. I will need to look through my paperwork again and see if I missed something. I do know that my advisor said that they replaced the entirety of the hydraulic system. From slave cylinder to throw out bearing while they were troubleshooting.
Old 8/26/13, 07:58 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Thanks Deysha.. I'll make an appointment and PM in progress.. Thanks!
Got an appointment this Monday.. Finger's crossed! They said leave it one day which works for me if this gets fixed.. Thanks Deysha!
You’re very welcome! I’ll get back to you in a little while.

Deysha
Old 8/26/13, 05:45 PM

mark
Took her in this morning.. got a call back in 3 hours. The service manager said they checked everything, test drove it several times, and couldn't find anything.. everything was completely normal.. hmmmm. I said OK, at least there is a record of this on file with Ford. When I picked it up, as I opened the driver's side door, I subconsciously noticed the smell of hot (very hot) brakes. Thinking nothing of it, there was afterall a lot of cars around waiting to be repaired.. I drove off.. the clutch felt a little different but to my total amazement, the syncro issue was totally solved. Driving it several times since (both Hot and Cold), it drops into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th without any hint of synchronizer stress. 6th still feels notchy, but that doesn't matter to me. I can now shift Fast w/o any concern. I think the issue was clutch break in. They likely slipped the clutch a bit to break it in, hence the brake smell. This should give the clutch some more clearance between the pressure plate and the flywheel with the clutch fully pressed in. If you have a 2014 with this issue, it might be worth getting the clutch HOT a few times and see it that solves it. Getrag works!

mark
Old 9/4/13, 04:58 PM

Well.. my transmission gear "clash" came back 2 days later.. No idea why it seemed to be fixed. Anyway going to install a new clutch, pilot bearing and flywheel. I learned that our cars have what's called a dual mass flywheel.. that can't be a good thing. Look it up.. it's trash. I still think the MT82 transmission is a decent part, just all the crap in front, behind and on top of it needs attention. One Piece Driveshaft, Clutch, Pilot bearing, Flywheel, braided clutch line, shifter. About $2K for top notch parts.. If this fixes it, it still an awesome car. Ford could have done much better with the driveline by going Old School, and likely would have been cheaper to boot.

mark
Old 9/4/13, 05:03 PM

Thinking more about that dual mass flywheel.. I'll bet the clutch doesn't fully disengage from the flywheel.. the DMF is a two piece flywheel with springs between the two halves in an effort to reduce vibration.
Old 9/7/13, 05:26 AM

@Ford

Thinking more about that dual mass flywheel.. I'll bet the clutch doesn't fully disengage from the flywheel.. the DMF is a two piece flywheel with springs between the two halves in an effort to reduce vibration.
5_Ohhh - I feel your pain. Although, Ford Service (Detroit/Deysha) contacted me soon after my appointment @ my dealership and has been along for the ride (tongue in cheek) the whole time. My went in last Tuesday and although the Service Rep didn't know diddly, the mechanic came through and agreed with me, you've got a synchro problem. The mechanic is even going in on Saturday to hurry things along and I'm to get my car back late Monday.

If and I say if this fixes it, that'll be good. The reason I'm still apprehensive is all the other traffic about these transmissions and I think I've got another reason the whole thing may not be working. I've been a liaison engineer, so I look at things and try to analyze and see what the root cause is for issues. Seeing some fixes that worked, Ford could look into the tolerances between where the shift rod comes out of the trans and where the mounting of the shifter box is. I've seen some guys use washers to adjust the position of the shifter box on the car body. This may be a great fix, but Ford hasn't recognized the problem yet and if they do, it'll be one more thing they have to throw into the equation of building cars, what I'm saying is cost $$$. Anytime you disrupt your current build process it's a big thing. In lieu of having a guy on the final assembly line mickey mouse around and adjust that, they (Ford) would probably have to design a tool and blah blah blah.

When I get mine back and the tranny shifts properly, I'm installing an MGW shifter that I have had on order since this issue began. (I've contacted MGW and they were in the process of machining the box and thus gave me about a 2 wk delay in shipping).

Overall, I'm happy with the car but I'm not going to put a ton of miles on it like some of the guys here do. I've got a winter full size Bronco so the 'stang will remain stored for most of the winter, on nice days I'll break it out but that's it.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER MT-82 Thread