Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

ANOTHER MT-82 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/13, 05:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANOTHER MT-82 Thread

Today while I was driving to work I was stopped at the last stop sign before my gate. When It turned green I accelerated and rolled into the throttle in 1st gear. When I went to switch to 2nd there was an awful grinding sound and the shift lever kicked out of the 2nd gate. I thought, "Hmm... that's odd. Lemme try that again...". Nope, same thing.

I switched to 3rd gear and it positively engaged. 4th - 6th no problem. I stopped at the gate at work to show my badge. Put the car in neutral and attempted to engage first. Nope, car didn't like that either. Epic loud grinding sound and it kicked itself out of first. I had to put it in 3rd and drive from the gate with a very embarassed look on my face.

I let the car sit until my lunch hour thinking "Maybe IM driving wrong today." I just went out to the parking lot about an hour ago and tried to drive my car around. 1st engages.... very questionably... but it engages. 2nd is still a complete no-go. I made an appointment with a local Ford dealer. Unfortunately, many in my area have very questionable reviews from their service departments regarding warranty claims. I hope I have a very smooth process.

Vehicle is a 2011 GT/CS. All stock except for GT500 axle back. I will update this post with whatever happens with the warranty claim.

(Yes, I read the countless threads on the MT82 before I made this thread. I made this thread so that IF this dealer tries to give me the run around on warranty I can have an avenue to speak with the Ford Service reps on this site.)

INB4 L2DRIVEMANUAL LOL

Last edited by Ibnzmonkey; 6/25/13 at 05:03 AM.
Old 6/25/13, 08:54 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibnzmonkey
Today while I was driving to work I was stopped at the last stop sign before my gate. When It turned green I accelerated and rolled into the throttle in 1st gear. When I went to switch to 2nd there was an awful grinding sound and the shift lever kicked out of the 2nd gate. I thought, "Hmm... that's odd. Lemme try that again...". Nope, same thing...
Hi Ibnzmonkey,

Please bring your vehicle in to your Ford Dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 6/25/13, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi Ibnzmonkey,

Please bring your vehicle in to your Ford Dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Thank you! I took the vehicle in early this morning. I have PMd you the appropriate data.
Old 6/25/13, 09:35 AM

Thank you! I took the vehicle in early this morning. I have PMd you the appropriate data.
Awesome! I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 6/25/13, 09:51 AM
GT Member

Sub'd to see what resolution is. I had taken mine in for what I felt was terrible 2-3 shifts and was told to bring it back when the car had 1000 miles on it as right now the trans would feel "tight" until there was more mileage on the car. Which I agree with to a point. I mean when I go to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear I've been denied and had to go to 4th instead.
Old 6/25/13, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Well. The Service Advisor was really nice and helpful. I had him get in the car and row through the gears when the car was off and once again when the car was on. He put it in second and slowly let out the clutch. The transmission spit out the shifter from the gate and made an awful sound which sounded much like the synchro was missing teeth.

He looked over and said "Yea, that's not supposed to happen."

I should be getting a call today or tomorrow on what exactly is wrong. I was told a two day turn around time but I am expecting weeks if a new transmission is in order.
Old 6/25/13, 10:04 AM
GT Member

That's awesome to hear!

I was hoping for about the same but I guess they want to wait till there is complete damage to the transmission before anything can happen. The car is now two months old and as over 500 miles on it so I might be able to get it to the 1000 mile mark in the next couple of months. Thanks for the update.
Old 6/25/13, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I too have a 2011 GT/CS with the MT-82 trans. The only problems I've had are the 1st to 2nd grinds and 3rd not engaging. That all went away when I installed my new shifter and bracket. Hope you get it taken care of.

Last edited by 2011GB/CS; 6/25/13 at 12:09 PM.
Old 6/26/13, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

It looks as though the awful service reviews for my dealership are starting to hold true.

Yesterday when I dropped off my car, the service advisor assured me that the vehicle would get "looked at" immediately by a tech and service would be started that day.

"The manual guys aren't busy so it will be torn down today and you'll receive a call later this evening."

He didn't call. I chalked it up to maybe he forgot. When I didn't get a call this morning I gave him a ring.

"Yea, nobody has looked at it and we're backed up for a week. Not sure when we're going to get to it. We're waiting on Bob."

Initial frustration has now set in.
Old 6/26/13, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Lascivious
Sub'd to see what resolution is. I had taken mine in for what I felt was terrible 2-3 shifts and was told to bring it back when the car had 1000 miles on it as right now the trans would feel "tight" until there was more mileage on the car. Which I agree with to a point. I mean when I go to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear I've been denied and had to go to 4th instead.
Hi Darth Lascivious,

I’d like to get this escalated for you as well. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number.

Well. The Service Advisor was really nice and helpful. I had him get in the car and row through the gears when the car was off and once again when the car was on. He put it in second and slowly let out the clutch. The transmission spit out the shifter from the gate and made an awful sound which sounded much like the synchro was missing teeth.

He looked over and said "Yea, that's not supposed to happen."

I should be getting a call today or tomorrow on what exactly is wrong. I was told a two day turn around time but I am expecting weeks if a new transmission is in order.
I sent you a PM, Ibnzmonkey.

Deysha
Old 6/27/13, 07:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi Darth Lascivious,

I’d like to get this escalated for you as well. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number.

I sent you a PM, Ibnzmonkey.

Deysha
OK. PM sent. Thanks!
Old 7/5/13, 07:44 AM
GT Member

Taking my car in Wednesday 07/10/13 for the transmission to be looked at again.
Old 7/5/13, 08:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
It looks as though the awful service reviews for my dealership are starting to hold true.

Yesterday when I dropped off my car, the service advisor assured me that the vehicle would get "looked at" immediately by a tech and service would be started that day.

"The manual guys aren't busy so it will be torn down today and you'll receive a call later this evening."

He didn't call. I chalked it up to maybe he forgot. When I didn't get a call this morning I gave him a ring.

"Yea, nobody has looked at it and we're backed up for a week. Not sure when we're going to get to it. We're waiting on Bob."

Initial frustration has now set in.
"The manual guys" ??

A trans tech is a trans tech, he handles autos and manuals.
Chances are they only have 1-2 trans guys. We had only 1 at the place I worked at and he was pretty much always backed up for a week or so.
Trans repairs were never quick unless an Explorer came in with a broken 2-5 servo which was like a 2 hr repair at most, most of the time

Subscribed to see how these are handled since the ex-service advisor in me is curious
Old 7/5/13, 08:37 AM

OK. PM sent. Thanks!
Taking my car in Wednesday 07/10/13 for the transmission to be looked at again.
Thank you for the update, Darth Lascivious!

Deysha
Old 7/5/13, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Still waiting on "one little part"..

It should be here today or tomorrow they say.
Old 7/8/13, 06:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Make sure you make them tell you exactly what they're waiting on
Old 7/8/13, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

(Post not relevant to actual MT82 issues)

Last edited by Ibnzmonkey; 7/9/13 at 09:36 AM.
Old 7/9/13, 07:42 AM
GT Member

Will the dealership not give you a loaner vehicle while your Mustang is in for repair?
Old 7/9/13, 07:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks like I spoke too soon.

They just called me and asked for me to come down and pick up a loaner focus.

No enterprise rental for me! Dealership is great. Just flakey on communication.
Old 7/9/13, 08:06 AM
GT Member

Looks like I spoke too soon.

They just called me and asked for me to come down and pick up a loaner focus.

No enterprise rental for me! Dealership is great. Just flakey on communication.
They suck at communication. Glad you are getting taken care of now. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER MT-82 Thread