Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Recaro Seat Skin Removal

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/14, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Recaro Seat Skin Removal

I'm a big guy, just a hair too big for my Recaro seat bottoms. The outside driver's seat thigh bolster no longer has any padding and the metal spar jabs me in the thigh whenever I drive, which sucks because this is my daily driver. I want to add more foam and was wondering how I get the seat skin off to get to that area. Are there any DIYs out there for
Old 7/9/14, 04:21 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think there are any threads on this, but I bought a leather GT500 take off kit to replace my cloth covers. I have not installed it yet. (Didn't want to disturb that "new car smell" just yet... LOL) However, I have looked at the leather, and with the exception of the seatbelt pass-throughs in the back of the seat, the entire cover (seat back and seat bottom) appear to clip on to the metal frame, so no hog rings and hog ring pliers needed (except for the seat belt pass-throughs).

So, step 1 - remove seat.
Step 2 - separate seat back from seat bottom (this may not be necessary, but will make it easier to work with IMO)
Step 3 - flip the seat bottom over, and unclip the seat cover from the seat frame.
The clips are an inch or so long, plastic "C" clips - sort of like a tube with a section removed, so they should pop off with a little pressure and no tools.

that should get you to the foam that you want to reinforce. I would visit an upholstry shop and see if you can get some high density foam sheets or pieces of some sort - auto upholstry is usually "closed cell" foam, I think. I would definitely buy something designed for an auto application, as it is less likely to break-down quickly. Also get something like roll-bar padding (very high density foam) and wrap that bar with it.
Hope that helps.
Old 7/9/14, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Springer200
I don't think there are any threads on this, but I bought a leather GT500 take off kit to replace my cloth covers. I have not installed it yet. (Didn't want to disturb that "new car smell" just yet... LOL) However, I have looked at the leather, and with the exception of the seatbelt pass-throughs in the back of the seat, the entire cover (seat back and seat bottom) appear to clip on to the metal frame, so no hog rings and hog ring pliers needed (except for the seat belt pass-throughs).

So, step 1 - remove seat.
Step 2 - separate seat back from seat bottom (this may not be necessary, but will make it easier to work with IMO)
Step 3 - flip the seat bottom over, and unclip the seat cover from the seat frame.
The clips are an inch or so long, plastic "C" clips - sort of like a tube with a section removed, so they should pop off with a little pressure and no tools.

that should get you to the foam that you want to reinforce. I would visit an upholstry shop and see if you can get some high density foam sheets or pieces of some sort - auto upholstry is usually "closed cell" foam, I think. I would definitely buy something designed for an auto application, as it is less likely to break-down quickly. Also get something like roll-bar padding (very high density foam) and wrap that bar with it.
Hope that helps.
Awesome! Thanks a lot. I'm going to get in touch with an interior shop around here and see what kind of materials they can sell me, but I definitely want to do the work myself.
Old 7/9/14, 05:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
They are held on by simple tabs and hog rings.
You will need hog ring pliers to remove them and hog rings to reinstall. Take the seat out and take your time. It's easy to tear or snag in a rush. I would just order new foam and reinstall. Adding extra material may not look good. Just my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails Recaro Seat Skin Removal-image-4197606471.jpg  
Old 7/9/14, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you get the cover off, can you take a pic? I hate the metal digging into my leg. I was thinking of bending that part a little more outwards. Just don't want to take the seat all apart to find out it cant be done.
Old 7/9/14, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cobrakev
When you get the cover off, can you take a pic? I hate the metal digging into my leg. I was thinking of bending that part a little more outwards. Just don't want to take the seat all apart to find out it cant be done.
I may end up doing that as well. I'll post a DIY.