Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

MyFordTouch vs Electronics Package screen

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/12, 07:48 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyFordTouch vs Electronics Package screen

Can someone explain what the difference is between MyFordTouch and the touch screen system with my 2012 Mustang's Electronics Package? It appears to be similar and both function with a touch screen. But I have read in several places that MyFord Touch won't come until 2015 on the Mustang. What is the actual difference? Thanks.
Old 12/29/12, 02:25 AM
GT Member

the one on the current mustang is the predecessor to MyFord Touch
Old 12/29/12, 12:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Mustang with EP and vehicles that have MyFordTouch both have a large screen in the console. On top of that, MFT has a smaller LCD in the instrument panel that lets you choose what you want displayed there. For instance, you can have the big screen display your navigation map and the smaller screen display the stereo info. Or you can have the small screen display gauges or various other things. In the vehicles that have MFT, you don't have to buy the navigation system if you don't want to and you'll still have the screens. I'm not positive on this but it might also be possible to buy an upgrade to an existing MFT to add navigation. I could be mistaken on that part, though.
Old 12/29/12, 04:38 PM
GT Member

Thanks for responses!
Old 12/29/12, 11:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
EP Nav screen is 7" diagonal while the My Ford Touch is 8" diagonal. My Ford Touch features 4 color coded corners for phone, nav (if equipped), climate, and audio functions. The EP screen uses hard buttons under the screen to call up those functions. EP also featured a 10 GB harddrive to scan CD's into the car, while the My Ford Touch doesn't offer this. Both have HD radio. My Ford Touch features many more voice commands than the EP and can stream music wirelessly while the EP has to tether iPods with a wire.

I'm sure there are plenty other examples of differences, but I wanted to get some of the bigger differences posted.
Old 12/30/12, 07:06 AM
GT Member

Thanks, Five Oh Brian!
Old 12/30/12, 05:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can someone post pics of both the MFT and EP consoles.
Thanks
Old 12/30/12, 10:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is the EP in my Shelby...

Here is the MFT in my Explorer...
Name:  IMAG0272.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  88.2 KB
Old 12/30/12, 10:34 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
My Ford Touch...can stream music wirelessly while the EP has to tether iPods with a wire.
---
No sir. The EP utilizes BlueTooth technology to play/control music from iPhone/iPad/iPod. So you can connect with wire, or use wirelessly. I have this with my 2011 GT. And my son often controls the music from the back seat!
Old 12/30/12, 10:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
And my son often controls the music from the back seat!
First backseat drivers, and now this ...

Between my Wife's Edge's MFT and the EP I just installed in my Mustang, I am finding that the EP can do pretty much everything My wife's MFT can do. But the displays she has in the guages are really cool the way she can change it. I like that feature alot. Although the 2013s have this now too?
Old 1/2/13, 01:29 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DrDisney
Can someone explain what the difference is between MyFordTouch and the touch screen system with my 2012 Mustang's Electronics Package? It appears to be similar and both function with a touch screen. But I have read in several places that MyFord Touch won't come until 2015 on the Mustang. What is the actual difference? Thanks.
Hey, DrDisney, it's been a while, happy new year!

It's looks like the gang was able to answer your questions, but here's a link that offers a good break down of each system:

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/...ehicle=mustang

Originally Posted by RandyW
The Mustang with EP and vehicles that have MyFordTouch both have a large screen in the console. On top of that, MFT has a smaller LCD in the instrument panel that lets you choose what you want displayed there. For instance, you can have the big screen display your navigation map and the smaller screen display the stereo info. Or you can have the small screen display gauges or various other things. In the vehicles that have MFT, you don't have to buy the navigation system if you don't want to and you'll still have the screens. I'm not positive on this but it might also be possible to buy an upgrade to an existing MFT to add navigation. I could be mistaken on that part, though.
Spot-on info, RandyW! Just to clarify on the last part, MFT and/or navigation cannot be added once the vehicle has left the factory.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Jaclyn
Old 1/3/13, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Used MyFordTouch in an Escape and it was garbage. Too many safety controls and didn't care for the appearance.
Old 1/12/14, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey, DrDisney, it's been a while, happy new year!

It's looks like the gang was able to answer your questions, but here's a link that offers a good break down of each system:

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/...ehicle=mustang

Spot-on info, RandyW! Just to clarify on the last part, MFT and/or navigation cannot be added once the vehicle has left the factory.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Jaclyn
FordIVTteam, is the 4.2 inch LCD in the instrument cluster eliminated when the Electronics Package is selected? I didn't think it was, but the page that you linked to indicates that the 4.2 inch screen is a feature with SYNC but NOT with SYNC with Navigation.

I'm currently trying to decide on whether or not to order my Mustang with the Electronics Package. I'm sure it's really awesome to have, but not sure if it will really be worth the extra $2,195 MSRP (difference in price assuming inclusion of rear-view camera).

Last edited by mkbnavy; 1/12/14 at 02:32 PM.
Old 1/12/14, 02:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
! Just to clarify on the last part, MFT and/or navigation cannot be added once the vehicle has left the factory.

Jaclyn
That is somewhat incorrect

https://themustangsource.com/f803/ad...em-nav-516988/

This same principle will apply to the MFT. As things can be bypassed to prevent reuse of ACM's

Cheers ^_~
-Matt

Last edited by zeroaviation; 1/12/14 at 02:59 PM.
Old 1/12/14, 03:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mkbnavy
FordIVTteam, is the 4.2 inch LCD in the instrument cluster eliminated when the Electronics Package is selected? I didn't think it was, but the page that you linked to indicates that the 4.2 inch screen is a feature with SYNC but NOT with SYNC with Navigation.

I'm currently trying to decide on whether or not to order my Mustang with the Electronics Package. I'm sure it's really awesome to have, but not sure if it will really be worth the extra $2,195 MSRP (difference in price assuming inclusion of rear-view camera).
You can't get navigation without Sync in the Mustang, can you?

Regardless, the LCD in the Mustang can be had with or without nav.

And even though I added the OEM navigation in my car after I bought it (see link Zeroaviation gave), I have heard that MFT is much more involved.

Last edited by jim010; 1/12/14 at 03:34 PM.
Old 1/12/14, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
I have heard that MFT is much more involved.
Not only involved as harnesses and modules and stuff. There is security that has to be defeated as well. (Go Ford)

-Matt
Old 1/12/14, 10:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes, the days of retrofitting are coming to an end.
Old 1/13/14, 06:03 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi mkbnavy,

Are you thinking about getting a 2014? I see what you’re talking about on that link. From my understanding, you’ll only have that cluster in vehicles equipped with MyFord Touch. Thanks for pointing it out! I’ll try to get that taken care of.

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
That is somewhat incorrect

https://themustangsource.com/f803/ad...em-nav-516988/

This same principle will apply to the MFT. As things can be bypassed to prevent reuse of ACM's

Cheers ^_~
-Matt
Hello Matt,

Let me rephrase what Jaclyn wrote.

Navigation is not available as an option from Ford once the vehicle has been built. This becomes confusing when a vehicle is equipped with MyFord Touch, because the navigation map information is loaded on an SD card. I want to clarify that an SD card from a navigation-equipped MyFord Touch system will not be recognized by a MyFord Touch system built without navigation. Of course, there are always modifications that can be done; however, I am unable to assist with those.

Originally Posted by jim010
You can't get navigation without Sync in the Mustang, can you?
You’re correct, Jim010. On the new Mustangs, navigation is voice-activated and powered by SYNC.

Kim
Old 1/13/14, 07:31 PM
V6 Member

The 4.2 inch LCD will not be eliminated with the Electronics Package. The Electronics Package does not have an effect on the 4.2 inch screen AFAIK.

Here's my 2 cents: I would love if my mustang had climate control, a rear view camera and a nice big screen. At the time I did not feel I needed any of that and I still don't feel huge regret, however I cannot add climate control or the look of OEM nav easily if I ever do want it. If you feel you want any of those things really badly, then I would get it because adding it later might be a bit of a hassle. However if you don't need climate control, and are fine with aftermarket you can always put in a nice screen and a rear view camera.
Old 1/13/14, 07:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by DrDisney
As others have said MFT is the new current generation Ford infotainment system. The EP Package contains the old system Ford used. MFT is a newer, more feature filled system that will come into the Mustang line in the new 2015 model. A big part of MFT is a display in the instrument cluster that can display information from the 4 corners of MFT (Navigation, Entertainment, Climate, and Phone) along with other vehicle information. There is a notable difference between the system and you can immediately tell between the two if they are seen side by side. MFT is in most of the upper trims of Ford's updated line of cars. It is in the Edge, Explorer, Taurus, Fiesta etc.

I have MFT in my explorer and although it has been glitchy in the past I am glad I have it.

Here are a couple pictures that might show the difference,One is the next gen mustang with MFT and one screen in the instrument cluster. And the next is a pretty recent MFT version on a Ford Flex with the two screens in the instrument cluster commonly on a lot of Ford's line. And the last is the current Mustang with the EP.
Attached Thumbnails MyFordTouch vs Electronics Package screen-ford-mustang-gt-2015-interior-hd3.jpg   MyFordTouch vs Electronics Package screen-2013-ford-flex-interior-close-2.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by rhrh; 1/13/14 at 07:51 PM.