Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Adding the OEM nav

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/22, 03:46 PM
GT Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadamoose
I have a question if anyone can answer this, please. I have a 2010 4.0L V6 mustang convertible automatic, and I'm about to do the swap into Nav. I got all my parts from a 2010 5.0L V8 GT mustang coupe Standard. Will the dash harness from the donor car work in my car even though I have an automatic and it came out of a standard? My understanding is the dash harness connects into the center console. All opinions are welcomed as I don't want to start this and find out, in the end, I have the wrong part and it won't work..
The Automatic and Manual harnesses are the same. There is just a plug in the shifter area that is unused on the manuals.
Old 6/7/22, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question. Done swap now my gas gauge doesn't work and dash harness was done as well

So did full swap in my 10. Had the kit fro. 13/14 car so bought a 10 dash harness . And plugged everything in. Then installed and even plugged 5 plugs for steering column. And was a Shaker 500. No sub in the trunk. Now I have no gas gauge working. And I can't get my door subs to work yet as well. Right side sound is very little at max volume. Any help please before I sell whole thing. And go dynavin 7 or dynavin 8.
Old 6/7/22, 09:55 AM
GT Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KönaMACh1
So did full swap in my 10. Had the kit fro. 13/14 car so bought a 10 dash harness . And plugged everything in. Then installed and even plugged 5 plugs for steering column. And was a Shaker 500. No sub in the trunk. Now I have no gas gauge working. And I can't get my door subs to work yet as well. Right side sound is very little at max volume. Any help please before I sell whole thing. And go dynavin 7 or dynavin 8.
Did you add the amp in the trunk? If not you need to for sound. No clue about the gas gauge, I would pull the steering wheel and make sure everything is plugged in all the way.
Old 5/8/24, 08:40 PM

Im looking to buy a pioneer head unit, more specifically the DMH WT3800NEX however i dislike all of the aftermarket dash kits available. Is it possible, at least in theory, to just connect the OEM nav bezel, leaving the actual nav out and installing said pioneer unit? I've read through the thread and im aware that it would not have dual zone climate control, which is fine. My car is a 2014 V6 Premium with shaker 500, no backup camera, and heated seats. Would i be able to just plug the bezel in and have all the controls (minus dual zone climate of course) work fine?
Old 5/9/24, 09:22 AM
V6 Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That seems unlikely. The space behind the bezel is fairly limited and I would not imagine that an aftermarket head unit would have the angle and dimensions to have it look even remotely decent. For the heated seats, that may work, but they operation on the HVAC module and you would have to hack the above openings which would again make it look like a poor install.
Old 5/9/24, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by cholmes1
That seems unlikely. The space behind the bezel is fairly limited and I would not imagine that an aftermarket head unit would have the angle and dimensions to have it look even remotely decent. For the heated seats, that may work, but they operation on the HVAC module and you would have to hack the above openings which would again make it look like a poor install.
I figured i’d ask because i’ve seen it done with what looks to be a 7inch kenwood unit. The pioneer im looking at is a single DIN, floating design that can retract, extend and move 2.5in up or down so i figured it would be even easier to fit. Here’s what im talking about:

Old 5/9/24, 12:27 PM
V6 Member

That is an impressive install. That said, the movement of the unit is a nice feature but here is very little room for adjustment behind the OEM panel. As a note, if you start the car without the panel in place and the buttons connected, the HVAC goes full fan speed. You will need to be certain that the head unit, once moved, does not adjust when power is removed. I think it is possible (what isn't) but may be worth experimenting with before finalizing. By that I mean buying a damaged center panel before buying one that is more expensive and unmarred. Worst case you can sell on the damaged unit for a minimal loss before cutting a clean one.
Old 5/9/24, 01:03 PM

That is an impressive install. That said, the movement of the unit is a nice feature but here is very little room for adjustment behind the OEM panel. As a note, if you start the car without the panel in place and the buttons connected, the HVAC goes full fan speed. You will need to be certain that the head unit, once moved, does not adjust when power is removed. I think it is possible (what isn't) but may be worth experimenting with before finalizing. By that I mean buying a damaged center panel before buying one that is more expensive and unmarred. Worst case you can sell on the damaged unit for a minimal loss before cutting a clean one.
Can you elaborate more on what you mean by “You will need to be certain that the head unit, once moved, does not adjust when power is removed.” im confused on what you mean by saying “adjust”.
Old 5/9/24, 01:08 PM
V6 Member

Sure. You stated that the head unit "can retract, extend and move 2.5in up or down." On the off chance you can get it to fit with the OEM panel, you will want to be certain that once a position is set the HU does not revert to what it sees a 'neutral' position when the power turns off. That could cause it to force itself against the panel or worse, damage the gearing that allows for the monitor movement.
Old 5/9/24, 02:08 PM

Sure. You stated that the head unit "can retract, extend and move 2.5in up or down." On the off chance you can get it to fit with the OEM panel, you will want to be certain that once a position is set the HU does not revert to what it sees a 'neutral' position when the power turns off. That could cause it to force itself against the panel or worse, damage the gearing that allows for the monitor movement.
I should have specified, it is not a software adjustment. The "stereo" and the screen are separate and they are attached through the use of a bracket. This bracket can be position in different ways (like the adjustments i mentioned earlier) and then secured in place by old fashion screws. Once the position is set, there is not way to change it through software, you'd have to take the whole unit apart, unscrew the hardware and adjust the bracket accordingly. Below are some pictures: