Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear Camera Harness

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/12, 06:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
Rear Camera Harness

Does anyone know if Ford has a Harness for the Back up Camera for the Mustang.
My car had everything but the Back up Camera, and it does not have the plug in the existing harness. Just wondering if there was a harness from Ford just for the Camera that was available to add it on later.
Old 11/30/12, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the nav system in mine and because I put on the appearance package (raised spoiler) I couldn't have the camera, BUT it does have the camera pigtails in the trunk. If you don't have the nav I seem to remember reading here a long while back that for the camera it's a different wiring plus you would need the rearview mirror with the screen which doesn't come cheap.

There is a company out there (name escapes me right now) that does cameras for the Stang etc that has the wiring plus a box to allow you to use all features of the nav plus watch movies on the go and has pigtails IF there is the wiring in the trunk.
Old 11/30/12, 08:58 AM
GT Member

all i want is a back sensor, and which the local dealer said its gonna cost about $750 including the labor...

that's.... well, fine.
Old 11/30/12, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MustangGTPilot
I have the nav system in mine and because I put on the appearance package (raised spoiler) I couldn't have the camera, BUT it does have the camera pigtails in the trunk.
So your are saying that the harness is there for the camera ?

Because it's the same for me, I have a GT/CS with NAV and because of the raise spoiler no camera.

I would like to install one but I guess we also need to reprogram the Nav unit to add the camera fonctionality ?
Old 11/30/12, 09:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
I have the Nav, but no harness in the trunk. Spoiled is being painted as we speak.
Lockpik is the company you are thinking of I do believe.
Old 11/30/12, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I have the Nav, but no harness in the trunk. Spoiled is being painted as we speak.
Lockpik is the company you are thinking of I do believe.

There's a good chance that 13's don't have the harness by default.

It's like in 05 when they redesigned the car all models had wiring for all options, and then later they started to remove optional wiring like TCS, my color, etc. to reduce cost.

I'm not sure if the rear camera started in 2011, but that may explain why "MustangGTPilot" may have it in his car.
Old 11/30/12, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MustangGTPilot
I have the nav system in mine and because I put on the appearance package (raised spoiler) I couldn't have the camera, BUT it does have the camera pigtails in the trunk. If you don't have the nav I seem to remember reading here a long while back that for the camera it's a different wiring plus you would need the rearview mirror with the screen which doesn't come cheap.

There is a company out there (name escapes me right now) that does cameras for the Stang etc that has the wiring plus a box to allow you to use all features of the nav plus watch movies on the go and has pigtails IF there is the wiring in the trunk.
Shouldn't have got the appearance package if it didn't let you get the bigger spoiler/camera that comes with the nav system. Kinda stupid that they don't let that happen
Old 11/30/12, 05:34 PM
Bullitt Member

If you don't mind going aftermarket this company has OE quality products that might give you what you're after.

rostra precision controls. Rostra.com
Old 11/30/12, 07:06 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dineau
There's a good chance that 13's don't have the harness by default.

It's like in 05 when they redesigned the car all models had wiring for all options, and then later they started to remove optional wiring like TCS, my color, etc. to reduce cost.

I'm not sure if the rear camera started in 2011, but that may explain why "MustangGTPilot" may have it in his car.
The rear camera option started in '10
Old 12/1/12, 01:01 AM
GT Member

I saw a thread somewhere, a guy with a Shelby put a camera in the piece where the tag lights are right between them. Looked real good too! Cant even see it. I've been considering this for my 10.
Old 12/1/12, 03:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

They should have mounted the camera someplace where it would not matter which spoiler if any you had.
Old 12/2/12, 01:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
They should have mounted the camera someplace where it would not matter which spoiler if any you had.
Yes, they should have put it in the Third brake light like on my 11 Charger.
Old 12/3/12, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

unless you have an aftermarket nav which accepts a rear camera, or the OEM nav, it's a huge PITA to add a rear camera.

did this myself, didn't buy a new harness, but had to buy the backup mirror with the LCD screen ($300) and create a harness adapter for the harness where it goes in to the stock rear view mirror. had that for a couple of months before I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer NAV.

if you have the OEM nav, you can likely run your own wires in to it for AV. just have to tap power from the back-up lights for the camera at the trunk and run the AV wire to the nav system.

I did this using a different camera that I mounted just atop the the rear license plate. looks almost invisible.
Old 12/3/12, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bones302
unless you have an aftermarket nav which accepts a rear camera, or the OEM nav, it's a huge PITA to add a rear camera.

did this myself, didn't buy a new harness, but had to buy the backup mirror with the LCD screen ($300) and create a harness adapter for the harness where it goes in to the stock rear view mirror. had that for a couple of months before I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer NAV.

if you have the OEM nav, you can likely run your own wires in to it for AV. just have to tap power from the back-up lights for the camera at the trunk and run the AV wire to the nav system.

I did this using a different camera that I mounted just atop the the rear license plate. looks almost invisible.
Can you post a picture of the camera mounted ?

Thanks,
Old 12/5/12, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dineau
So your are saying that the harness is there for the camera ?

Because it's the same for me, I have a GT/CS with NAV and because of the raise spoiler no camera.

I would like to install one but I guess we also need to reprogram the Nav unit to add the camera fonctionality ?
Well I checked again and there is the harness in the trunk. HOWEVER I also looked at my friends 2011 that didn't have the camera and there is no pigtail. The only thing I can think of is that I changed to the appearance pack late in the day (after I initially ordered the car) and I guess thats how I have the pigtail.

Yes, thanks it is Lockpik I was looking at when I was considering a camera plus you can disable the lockout features of the Nav when driving - still undecided right now though.