Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

My Roush axel backs have a cracked weld

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/12, 12:04 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hytek
Wouldn't be a bad idea just they're only sending replacement mufflers. Someone would have to buy the tips from Roush which are $70 each. I was thinking about putting one on my jeep lol.
Replacement mufflers and the pipes behind them correct?? Cause they are one piece.

Just took the stang out for a little beating. Can't beat 50 degrees in NY at midnight in January. The car almost sounds horribly raspy at WOT. Cruising and slowly getting up thru the band it's still sounds sweet and smooth tho.
Old 1/8/12, 12:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
I just looked at my roush's today, I did buy them used from a member on this forum, but there was water dripping from the back weld on the passenger side muffler and it looks like its starting to rust =[.

Sorry to jump in this thread so late, but what seems to be the "short story" on what everyone with this problem is doing?
I 2nd what 2012GTCS said. Clean yours up real good and get a good polish on them to hopefully avoid any further rust leading to what I'm experiencing. Mine are peeing on the garage floor after a good drive.

Your probably stuck being you bought them used.. not saying that the PO knew beforehand, but it's an issue non-the less. It's probably an easy fix if you catch it early, have a muffler shop weld a small bead on them and you might be ok.

I probably could've done the same if I noticed sooner. But for me it's more the principal of the matter that mine are going to crap and my car is a Roush. I was going to change out the exhaust for a full system sooner or later but this whole issue really made me realize how much I love the sound of them. I just bought a FRPP xpipe to compliment them from a fellow TMS'r. I should have it by Wednesday and on by Thursday as well as the new mufflers.

I have however noticed a drone now under load with mine having cracks in them. The sound is not even clean anymore, they're have more of a gurgle sound rather than the sweet burble n pop we love. Think of it like an under water sound, that's the best way I can describe it.

Your best bet is to try and contact the PO and see if he has the receipt. Also check out Roush's warranty and see if it's transferable. If they get worse, email both Roush and the retailer they came from. They'll probably give you a run around at first, but use my experience as ammo in your fight. Good luck man!

Sorry, I just realized you wanted the short version. Oh well, I just recapped the whole **** thing lol.
Old 1/8/12, 12:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS

Replacement mufflers and the pipes behind them correct?? Cause they are one piece.

Just took the stang out for a little beating. Can't beat 50 degrees in NY at midnight in January. The car almost sounds horribly raspy at WOT. Cruising and slowly getting up thru the band it's still sounds sweet and smooth tho.
I would suppose those too. I didn't even think about that. I guess I'll find out when they get here.

So your noticing they sound different now too? I was talking to my buddy outside after work tonight and my car was warming up and he even said it sounded "dirty".
Old 1/8/12, 10:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Yeah I've noticed it and the crack is pretty small right now.

I have a cut out/drain in the exhaust tip or outlet area that drips dirty water onto the muffler and rusts as well. Wonder if this is contributing to the mess as well.
Old 1/9/12, 11:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Update: The new mufflers arrived from Roush this morning.

The UPS guy caught me on my way out the door to work so I just put them in the back of the jeep. I didn't get a chance to open the box, but from the looks of the box I hope they're not damaged. I'll be putting them on weds or Thurs with my new to me FRPP xpipe.

Edit: Roush included a call tag for the bad mufflers to return on their dime.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Hytek; 1/9/12 at 12:38 PM.
Old 1/9/12, 12:42 PM
GT Member

I wonder if anyone is experiencing what I am experiencing with mine? I am getting a vibration at part throttle under acceleration in the 3-4k range or so. It is clearly coming from the passenger side and I cannot figure out if it is the mufflers, something in the interior or something else. It is somewhat annoying though.

It seems that every modification on this car has some kind of negative side effect. Nothing has been a 100% positive experience.

Mike
Old 1/9/12, 12:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mbreinin
I wonder if anyone is experiencing what I am experiencing with mine? I am getting a vibration at part throttle under acceleration in the 3-4k range or so. It is clearly coming from the passenger side and I cannot figure out if it is the mufflers, something in the interior or something else. It is somewhat annoying though.

It seems that every modification on this car has some kind of negative side effect. Nothing has been a 100% positive experience.

Mike
Something could've came loose after time. My cai likes to come loose at the intake every now and then. I've gotten into the habit of checking it every time I check the oil now.

Last edited by Hytek; 1/9/12 at 12:57 PM.
Old 1/9/12, 01:06 PM
GT Member

Something could've came loose after time. My cai likes to come loose at the intake every now and then. I've gotten into the habit of checking it every time I check the oil now.
Yeah, but I can't see what it is. I have tightened up the mufflers, it really sounds like something inside the interior. So annoying.

Mike
Old 1/9/12, 01:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mbreinin

Yeah, but I can't see what it is. I have tightened up the mufflers, it really sounds like something inside the interior. So annoying.

Mike
I get a rattle every now and then from the back seat near the speakers. But it's not the radio because I hear it when it's quiet. It's more pronounced when it's cold though. Could be that or our flimsy plastic door panels. Just crank the music and put your foot to the floor so you can't hear it lol.
Old 1/9/12, 07:12 PM
GT Member

I get a rattle every now and then from the back seat near the speakers. But it's not the radio because I hear it when it's quiet. It's more pronounced when it's cold though. Could be that or our flimsy plastic door panels. Just crank the music and put your foot to the floor so you can't hear it lol.
I had rattle in the passenger side rear just back of the rear quarter window. I opened the trunk and up top there are openings near the rear quarter window. I took some drywall fiberglass insulation from my basement and stuffed that area tight with it and the sound is non existent now, try that!!!
Old 1/9/12, 07:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by kona stang10

I had rattle in the passenger side rear just back of the rear quarter window. I opened the trunk and up top there are openings near the rear quarter window. I took some drywall fiberglass insulation from my basement and stuffed that area tight with it and the sound is non existent now, try that!!!
Right on thanks. I'll check that out.
Old 1/10/12, 08:14 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kona stang10
That is exactly where it sounds like mine is coming from as well.

I will check it out!

Mike
Old 1/10/12, 10:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Just called CJ Pony Parts today and told them about the rusted Roush mufflers I have. They told me that I need to get in contact with Roush. Just emailed Rosuh, hope I hear something from them soon. (sigh)
Old 1/10/12, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

FYI whoever bought from BOI:

Roush does not cover the rust but if the weld is broke they will replace it. Please send the muffler only back to us with a copy of your invoice and we can replace it for you as long as it meets with the Roush warranty. Do not send back the clamp or tip just the muffler. Please call us with any questions 540-298-2583

It is a 3 year warranty from the time of purchase. We just need a copy of your invoice when you send them back.
Old 1/10/12, 04:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just got my FRPP sports they have no visible welds on the outside of the muffler like the Roush. The 4 inch tips look gigantic to me, aren't the Roush 4 Inch also ? They look good with the ford racing logo embossed on the tips. Now I have to get them on the car.
Old 1/10/12, 05:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
I just got my FRPP sports they have no visible welds on the outside of the muffler like the Roush. The 4 inch tips look gigantic to me, aren't the Roush 4 Inch also ? They look good with the ford racing logo embossed on the tips. Now I have to get them on the car.
Sweet! I believe the roush ones are 4 inch too. That will sound amazing with the boss pipe!
Old 1/10/12, 07:09 PM
GT Member

I just checked today, and mine are for sure cracked at the weld with water dripping out =/. I bought them used off this forum, and luckily he is working with me and gave me his order number from stage3. Hopefully all goes well tomorrow when I call and speak to roush and hopefully I get a new set of muffler. Its a sin cause they sound GREAT.
Old 1/10/12, 07:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
I just checked today, and mine are for sure cracked at the weld with water dripping out =/. I bought them used off this forum, and luckily he is working with me and gave me his order number from stage3. Hopefully all goes well tomorrow when I call and speak to roush and hopefully I get a new set of muffler. Its a sin cause they sound GREAT.
Ask for Bill Lindsay @ Stage 3. He helped me with mine and is a real cool guy.
Old 1/10/12, 07:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Joe_in_Naples
Just called CJ Pony Parts today and told them about the rusted Roush mufflers I have. They told me that I need to get in contact with Roush. Just emailed Rosuh, hope I hear something from them soon. (sigh)
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Old 1/11/12, 08:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
You still need to drill drain holes. Got a lot of water out of mine. Also water will change the sweet sound of them.

Quick Reply: My Roush axel backs have a cracked weld