Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

My Roush axel backs have a cracked weld

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/12, 09:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you punch thru the muffler the whole length of the bit or just till you got thru the metal
Old 1/22/12, 10:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Did you punch thru the muffler the whole length of the bit or just till you got thru the metal
I was wondering the same thing. Did you go all the way through the baffles?
Old 1/23/12, 07:29 AM
GT Member

I drilled it until water started to leak out. I am not sure how far in I went, I want to say I just went through the first layer.

Mike
Old 1/23/12, 04:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you drill towards the rear or front? Looks like the rear in the pic.
Old 1/23/12, 05:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Thomas S
Did you drill towards the rear or front? Looks like the rear in the pic.
That is the rear, by the inlet. I went outside and measured the depth of the holes and they are clean through. There is no water coming out any longer, just a little surface rust around the holes that I will clean up and polish. The mufflers sound no different with the holes, and they are no longer filling with water.

Mike
Old 1/23/12, 05:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mbreinin
That is the rear, by the inlet. I went outside and measured the depth of the holes and they are clean through. There is no water coming out any longer, just a little surface rust around the holes that I will clean up and polish. The mufflers sound no different with the holes, and they are no longer filling with water.

Mike
I'm cornfused. The rear would be by the the outlets right? The front of the mufflers would be the inlet. Make sense?
Old 1/23/12, 05:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Thomas S
I'm cornfused. The rear would be by the the outlets right? The front of the mufflers would be the inlet. Make sense?
Well, looking at the car from the back it is the rear, but technically it is the front as it is near the inlet of the muffler. In all sincerity, I don't think it matters where you drill it, as long as it is low enough to fully drain the muffler. I chose the bottom of the muffler because I wanted it fully drained, as opposed to the back where the stock and GT500 weep holes are located. It is not a complicated procedure. Get a drill, load up a small bit, drill hole and drain mufflers. They leaked a good bit when drilled (but less than I anticipated) and since then I have not seen any water.

Mike
Old 1/23/12, 05:48 PM
Cobra R Member

He posted up the picture. I can't open it but from the thumbnail it looks like the hole is right behind the "R" in Roush. That should give a pretty easy explanation of where to drill
Old 1/23/12, 05:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
He posted up the picture. I can't open it but from the thumbnail it looks like the hole is right behind the "R" in Roush. That should give a pretty easy explanation of where to drill
Yup it's right there.
Old 1/23/12, 06:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine too, My car was at Barrett/Jackson up on the stacks and sure enough both mufflers are rusting in that same location.. This is a bad shot but I'm sure Bill at Stage 3 will handle this, they are class acts...
Attached Images  
Old 1/23/12, 06:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jacostang
Mine too, My car was at Barrett/Jackson up on the stacks and sure enough both mufflers are rusting in that same location.. This is a bad shot but I'm sure Bill at Stage 3 will handle this, they are class acts...
At least you got a good view of it lol. Bill's a great guy and I'm sure he'll take care of it.
Old 1/23/12, 08:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mbreinin
Well, looking at the car from the back it is the rear, but technically it is the front as it is near the inlet of the muffler. In all sincerity, I don't think it matters where you drill it, as long as it is low enough to fully drain the muffler. I chose the bottom of the muffler because I wanted it fully drained, as opposed to the back where the stock and GT500 weep holes are located. It is not a complicated procedure. Get a drill, load up a small bit, drill hole and drain mufflers. They leaked a good bit when drilled (but less than I anticipated) and since then I have not seen any water.

Mike
Gotcha, thanks!
Old 1/23/12, 08:35 PM
V6 Member

Mine was replaced under warranty last summer. I didn't know there was an issue until I replaced them with GT500s. Much happier with the GT500s anyway. Now I need to sell the raspy loud Roush.
Old 1/23/12, 09:45 PM
GT Member

My roush replacements are in the mail on their way to my house =D. I didnt even deal with stage3, I went directly with roush and spoke to Chris. Very happy with the way things worked out, and glad roush is standing behind their defect
Old 1/23/12, 11:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Hmm, Now i wonder what would happen if you sent them back and they were only rusted badly but not totally broken thru the mufflers. A bill? And what I'd someone doesn't send them back to Roush?

Like If I get my replacements but it's to dang cold out to get under and unbolt them till march...
Old 1/24/12, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

i contacted roush about my exhaust- he said surface rust is to be expected but if you have any cracking or broken hanger mounts then they will replace them. i guess ill wait little longer until mine start cracking.
Old 1/24/12, 07:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Talked to stage 3 today, They are shipping me out a new set from Roush and a return label. They know about the issues with the first sets and resolved them....
Class A Customer service!!!
Old 1/24/12, 11:39 PM
GT Member

I thought the same thing about if someone didnt send them back, but I am a genuine guy so I will definitely be sending them back. I dont have a jack right now so they will have to wait a few days lol.

I actually just got them today too, with a return label and ROUSH STICKERSSSS!! lol
Old 1/25/12, 12:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
I thought the same thing about if someone didnt send them back, but I am a genuine guy so I will definitely be sending them back. I dont have a jack right now so they will have to wait a few days lol.

I actually just got them today too, with a return label and ROUSH STICKERSSSS!! lol
Wtf! I didn't get any stickers.. pics or it didn't happen.
Old 1/25/12, 12:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
Wtf! I didn't get any stickers.. pics or it didn't happen.
... lol ill upload pics tomorrow of the old ones and new ones next to each other, and ill put the stickers in the pics too .

Is it just me though, or do the welds look different on the replacements. Seems like they realized what was going wrong and they improvised their welds. Seem a lot thicker too.

Last edited by grabber blue gt; 1/25/12 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply: My Roush axel backs have a cracked weld