5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Just got my 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/13, 11:54 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by texasgtguy
that is true, I unfortunately learned that from experience. I had a corvette once and added a CIA and full exhaust. driving down the road and for whatever reason (stress, me, etc.) I threw a piston out. The dealer told me sorry but not our problem since I had it tuned. Cost me 7K to get it fixed. I swore I would not void a factory warranty again unless I really could afford to fix anything and everything out of pocket. Not saying not to mod or anything, just sharing my experience.
Detonation? These aren't forged pistons these days...
Old 9/30/13, 04:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onequickstang
Do you know if there's a way to just view the air/fuel ratio to make sure it's 12 parts to 1?
Buy a darn wideband system. Seriously, it should be your second mod after the MGW shifter.
Old 9/30/13, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
How does a piston get thrown out from a tune and CAI? No way a proper and safe tune and CAI could of caused that type of damage.
I agree 100%, but from the dealer point of view, I changed the mapping and modified part of the car, so that voided the warranty completely.
Old 9/30/13, 11:42 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
How does a piston get thrown out from a tune and CAI? No way a proper and safe tune and CAI could of caused that type of damage.
Originally Posted by texasgtguy
I agree 100%, but from the dealer point of view, I changed the mapping and modified part of the car, so that voided the warranty completely.
I wonder if you could have argued more to get it covered? Hmmmm
Old 9/30/13, 12:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Do you know if there's a way to just view the air/fuel ratio to make sure it's 12 parts to 1?
The dyno operator told me the actual air fuel ratio part was in the dyno data log. The tuning company would know what they set the air fuel ratio at. It seems that bama and Steeda automatically set it to 12 parts to 1. It most likely was an accidental oversight on the part of MPT to set the air fuel ratio to 12.5 parts to 1. Just glad I had the car dyno and learned about it so I can have MPT correct the issue . If you want to know your air fuel ratio set as , just call the tuning company you used.
Old 9/30/13, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
You car has a wideband built in (instead of the narrow bands used in previous model years). You can access these values using PID 0124. Its reported back in lambda which then is converted to AFR. 12.5:1 isn't a terrible AFR. Pre 11' cars typically were ran at 13:1 AFR.

12.5:1 should not cause any engine failure, unless, you have poor quality gas and way too much timing. ...

Second note, the newer age knock sensors used in our year mustangs are very good at preventing detonation. This, however, is as long as your tuner hasn't changed any settings pertaining to that particular system (specifically the Retard Rate. Most dealers will set it to 1 full degree of revolution which is fuc.. well not wise).

#8 failure caused by 80% heat/timing.

What kind of tuner do you have? SCT?
Old 9/30/13, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
You car has a wideband built in (instead of the narrow bands used in previous model years). You can access these values using PID 0124. Its reported back in lambda which then is converted to AFR. 12.5:1 isn't a terrible AFR. Pre 11' cars typically were ran at 13:1 AFR.

12.5:1 should not cause any engine failure, unless, you have poor quality gas and way too much timing. ...

Second note, the newer age knock sensors used in our year mustangs are very good at preventing detonation. This, however, is as long as your tuner hasn't changed any settings pertaining to that particular system (specifically the Retard Rate. Most dealers will set it to 1 full degree of revolution which is fuc.. well not wise).

What kind of tuner do you have? SCT?
I am using the sct x3/sf3 tuner. I actually called MPT and they looked at my command setting for air fuel ratio at WOT and it is set for 12 parts to 1.

I called AM and they have my air fuel ratio command at 12.2 parts to 1.

I called Steeda and they set all tunes for 11 plus models at 11.9 to 12 parts to 1.

I had spoken to the dyno operator and he said since it was a sniff test the air fuel ratio could be off by .5. He said just call and ask what the command is set for.

This tuning technical stuff is like Chinese to me. Lmao. It was his opinion that the air fuel ratio should be commanded for 12 parts to 1 and no higher for 11 plus models. He said any higher than 12 parts to 1 the car runs more lean and can cause engine failure down the road especially if people are running the car hard.

I called AM and they will gladly set any command air fuel ratio one wants. Lol. I am having them make me a 93 Hybrid tune with 12 parts to 1 air fuel ratio.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 9/30/13 at 02:29 PM.
Old 9/30/13, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am using the sct x3/sf3 tuner. I actually called MPT and they looked at my command setting for air fuel ratio at WOT and it is set for 12 parts to 1.

I called AM and they have my air fuel ratio command at 12.2 parts to 1.

I called Steeda and they set all tunes for 11 plus models at 11.9 to 12 parts to 1.

I had spoken to the dyno operator and he said since it was a sniff test the air fuel ratio could be off by .5. He said just call and ask what the command is set for.

This tuning technical stuff is like Chinese to me. Lmao. It was his opinion that the air fuel ratio should be commanded for 12 parts to 1 and no higher for 11 plus models. He said any higher than 12 parts to 1 the car runs more lean and can cause engine failure down the road especially if people are running the car hard.

I called AM and they will gladly set any command air fuel ratio one wants. Lol. I am having them make me a 93 Hybrid tune with 12 parts to 1 air fuel ratio.
If you're using a SCT X3, download the livelink software, and datalog your AFR. Then you can know what it is for sure a WOT.

I think i'm going to have to type of a post where people know what caused #8 failure.

-Matt
Old 9/30/13, 05:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ibnzmonkey

Buy a darn wideband system. Seriously, it should be your second mod after the MGW shifter.
What exactly is a wide band system? I'm saving up for the short throw shifter, and I called ford credit and asked how to drop the extended warranty. They said no problem go to the dealer and fill out the form so I'm doing that when I go in to work tomorrow. Then with what everything most of you have been saying I'm gonna pull the trigger on a tune once I double check my AFR. Thank you for everyone's inputs.
Old 9/30/13, 05:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

If you're using a SCT X3, download the livelink software, and datalog your AFR. Then you can know what it is for sure a WOT.

I think i'm going to have to type of a post where people know what caused #8 failure.

-Matt
I have the live link software already downloaded. All I pick is the AFR and that's it.
Old 9/30/13, 05:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

What exactly is a wide band system? I'm saving up for the short throw shifter, and I called ford credit and asked how to drop the extended warranty. They said no problem go to the dealer and fill out the form so I'm doing that when I go in to work tomorrow. Then with what everything most of you have been saying I'm gonna pull the trigger on a tune once I double check my AFR. Thank you for everyone's inputs.
I called AM today and they had my AFR command for 12.2 parts to 1. They said they will set the AFR to what ever I want it to be. I had them send me a new 93 hybrid with the AFR set 12 parts to 1.
Old 9/30/13, 07:46 PM
GT Member

I called AM today and they had my AFR command for 12.2 parts to 1. They said they will set the AFR to what ever I want it to be. I had them send me a new 93 hybrid with the AFR set 12 parts to 1.
What exactly is 93 hybrid?
Old 9/30/13, 08:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

What exactly is 93 hybrid?
93 Octane and its a tune that AM makes. A hybrid tune is designed to have the DNA of their street tune mixed with the DNA of their race tune. Its supposed to give you down low power, mid and high power. Its certainly good because it got me 294 rwhp and that was on a 91 Octane tune plus having an automatic.
Old 9/30/13, 09:08 PM
GT Member

93 Octane and its a tune that AM makes. A hybrid tune is designed to have the DNA of their street tune mixed with the DNA of their race tune. Its supposed to give you down low power, mid and high power. Its certainly good because it got me 294 rwhp and that was on a 91 Octane tune plus having an automatic.
What year? Makes sense now lol I knew the three tunes as street, performance, and race haha
Old 9/30/13, 09:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

What year? Makes sense now lol I knew the three tunes as street, performance, and race haha
2011 3.7. All V6 baby! Lmao

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 9/30/13 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10/1/13, 06:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have the live link software already downloaded. All I pick is the AFR and that's it.
Correct. You can pick I think up to 25 out of that list to data log.

Once in the datalogging screen, and the car running. Just hit record, and it should show you information live.
Old 10/1/13, 09:00 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Once in the datalogging screen, and the car running. Just hit record, and it should show you information live.
Do I pick all 25 to see the AFR at Wot? I have data logged before but never paid attention to the numbers. Lol
Old 10/1/13, 10:36 AM

What the factory value for the Retard Rate? Is the factory rate going to pull timing too agressively?
Old 10/1/13, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do I pick all 25 to see the AFR at Wot? I have data logged before but never paid attention to the numbers. Lol
No you just need the one selected for AFR/Lambda.

I believe in the SCT livelink software its called "Measured AFR bank 1" or bank 2

Originally Posted by Greg2011
What the factory value for the Retard Rate? Is the factory rate going to pull timing too agressively?
aggressively**

In short. No. The factory rate is in my opinion is not aggressive enough. (Though i'm sure some people in R&D will disagree ) Though that is a whole story in itself.

Some tuners (specifically SCT's stock value file) was setting the whole table to .5 - Bad business. This is not the only thing that can/did cause issues. I could do a whole page on it.

Here is the values for KSRR on a ZFK tear.

RPM - (Degrees per revolution) - per event.
5500 - 1.5
5000 - 1.5
4500 - 1.5
4000 - 1.5
3500 - 1.25
3000 - 1
2500 - 1
2000 - 1
1500 - 1
1000 - 1

Last edited by zeroaviation; 10/1/13 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Formatted the table some
Old 10/2/13, 01:09 AM
GT Member

What are all things I should check within the tune before I tune to make sure nothing will happen to my motor?

Quick Reply: Just got my 2013 5.0