5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Just got my 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/13, 01:44 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

As you requested. Please excuse my ugly mug. Lol

http://db.tt/uPYMX4nS
Sounds awesome bro. Cool vid.
Old 8/16/13, 02:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio

Sounds awesome bro. Cool vid.
Thanks bro.
Old 8/17/13, 03:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen ford techs have ways of seeing if the pcm was flashed just as mentioned before using an ids (ford specific database) disconnecting the batter will not set a code all it simply does is reset the KAM (keep alive memory) and good luck taking anybody to court because that fat stack of papers you signed without reading actually goes over what will void your warranty and good luck finding a shop that will throw away their career by lying about your modification while doing warranty work. Of anybody is that worried about a warranty don't do the work or get an older car an trick it out
Old 8/17/13, 07:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by shaunrc
Gentlemen ford techs have ways of seeing if the pcm was flashed just as mentioned before using an ids (ford specific database) disconnecting the batter will not set a code all it simply does is reset the KAM (keep alive memory) and good luck taking anybody to court because that fat stack of papers you signed without reading actually goes over what will void your warranty and good luck finding a shop that will throw away their career by lying about your modification while doing warranty work. Of anybody is that worried about a warranty don't do the work or get an older car an trick it out
But in order to void the warranty the dealership still has to prove the modification caused the other part to fail. If I have a CAI or tune and my lower control arms are bad, prove that the mods are the cause of the LCA going bad. If I install headers and my window stops working , prove its because of the headers. If my water pump breaks prove the performance tuner was the cause of that part failing.

Now I agree , it would be a pain in the rear to file suit but if you did, Ford would just fix the issue . Back in April 2013 I had my buddy install headers and off road x pipe onto my stang. As you know in doing this modification, the 02 sensors get disconnected, taken off and reinstalled back onto the new headers and mid pipe.

Just two weeks ago my front drivers side 02 sensor went bad and it needed to be replaced. Now , I'm no mechanic but I couldn't find any research that claimed headers causes 02 sensors to break more often than with cats. Now having only 24k miles I knew the dealership wouldn't cover the 02 sensor under my factory warranty. They would claim the 02 sensor was damaged by my buddy when taking it off and putting it back on. They would claim the mod was the cause because the 02 sensor was damaged by my buddy when he removed it. While I think that would be a load of garbage, they do have a point. The 02 sensor was directly removed and perhaps went bad when removed. For the 114 dollar cost of the 02 sensor I ordered it from AM installed it and done. Problem solved, no more check engine light.

However if the ball joint goes bad at 24k miles what does that have to do with me having a tune and headers? Nothing at all.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 8/17/13 at 07:25 AM.
Old 8/17/13, 05:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok here's how it goes you come in for warranty work on your rear diff because you are having excessive gear whine on coast down, backlash, I plug your car into my IDS and see your car has been tuned well guess what that just voided your powertrain warranty therefore you are paying for the work. It doesn't matter if the tune didn't cause the gear whine cause that was part of the contract you signed now if you run all CARB approved mods with CARB OE numbers then they have to prove the part was the result of the malfunction but you won't find a carb number on langtube header and x pipe.
Old 8/17/13, 05:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Ok here's how it goes you come in for warranty work on your rear diff because you are having excessive gear whine on coast down, backlash, I plug your car into my IDS and see your car has been tuned well guess what that just voided your powertrain warranty therefore you are paying for the work. It doesn't matter if the tune didn't cause the gear whine cause that was part of the contract you signed now if you run all CARB approved mods with CARB OE numbers then they have to prove the part was the result of the malfunction but you won't find a carb number on langtube header and x pipe.
What does gear whine have to do with a performance tuner? Just curious! I could see if one replaced the stock gears but what does headers or cai have to do with gear whine?
Old 8/17/13, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

What does gear whine have to do with a performance tuner? Just curious! I could see if one replaced the stock gears but what does headers or cai have to do with gear whine?
That's my point it has nothing to do with it but still voids warranty
Old 8/17/13, 05:51 PM
Cobra Member

I had a dealer tell me that after the first year Ford does't pay for labor only parts on warranty work. (Wasn't my usual service center) Has anyone heard this before. I've gotten around or remembered to ask my usual dealer's service center.

Edit: Nevermind got my answer

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 8/17/13 at 06:13 PM.
Old 8/17/13, 09:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's my point it has nothing to do with it but still voids warranty
Well, that's f ing crazy. Lmao. That's complete crap. I say sue there a$$es. Lol
Old 8/17/13, 10:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, that's f ing crazy. Lmao. That's complete crap. I say sue there a$$es. Lol
I know it is but that's the way it works but think about it like this. What if you made a car put a full warranty on it no matter what and I throw a turbo on it and run 20lbs of boost and every time I threw a rod or spun a bearing you pick up the tab for it. That's why they have to be so picky. To cover their a$$ and you can sue all you want they tell you what voids the warranty and if they don't its in the paper work a judge would probably just tell you to read a contract before you sign it
Old 8/18/13, 02:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dan S.

Yes, TAMPERED with, but not HOW it was tampered with... We need a real Ford tech in here to clear this up. I've worked with ECM software before for a major engine company, and previous calibration parameters weren't stored, just when/if it was calibrated...
I actually work with the techs at my dealership from time to time, they can tell when there was an aftermarket tune on it. Not too long ago we had a saleen come in because of piston #8, as soon as they found there was a tune on it, the warranty was completely void.
Old 8/18/13, 02:10 AM
GT Member

This is my big problem lol. So far I just put on a set of axle back muffler deletes (sounds amazing). But other than that I don't want to do anything that will require a tune because piston #8 is still an issue, working at the ford dealer I'm learning all the sneaky ways they can say "that tune caused this malfunction" they can almost always find a way to tie it together and being almost 20 god forbid something happens because if I tune it like I want to then something breaks now I can't drive the car I'm spending almost $750/mo for ($412 car payment $320 insurance) and considering I only bring home just under $2k a month after taxes I can't afford to pay for an expensive repair even with my employee discount this is why I wanted to know what else I could do that wouldn't require a tune. I plan on tuning it as soon as my warranty comes closer to being expired. Keeping in mind my 5.0 has just over 2300 miles my pony isn't even broken in yet
Old 8/18/13, 05:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by onequickstang
This is my big problem lol. So far I just put on a set of axle back muffler deletes (sounds amazing). But other than that I don't want to do anything that will require a tune because piston #8 is still an issue, working at the ford dealer I'm learning all the sneaky ways they can say "that tune caused this malfunction" they can almost always find a way to tie it together and being almost 20 god forbid something happens because if I tune it like I want to then something breaks now I can't drive the car I'm spending almost $750/mo for ($412 car payment $320 insurance) and considering I only bring home just under $2k a month after taxes I can't afford to pay for an expensive repair even with my employee discount this is why I wanted to know what else I could do that wouldn't require a tune. I plan on tuning it as soon as my warranty comes closer to being expired. Keeping in mind my 5.0 has just over 2300 miles my pony isn't even broken in yet
Wise decision stay away from tunes.
Old 8/18/13, 06:15 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by onequickstang
If you pay 320 month insurance, you should have you head examined for buying a car that costs that much insurance. Lmao.
Old 8/18/13, 06:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I know it is but that's the way it works but think about it like this. What if you made a car put a full warranty on it no matter what and I throw a turbo on it and run 20lbs of boost and every time I threw a rod or spun a bearing you pick up the tab for it. That's why they have to be so picky. To cover their a$$ and you can sue all you want they tell you what voids the warranty and if they don't its in the paper work a judge would probably just tell you to read a contract before you sign it
I could see if having a turbo running 20 pounds boost, highly probable throwing rods and breaking bearings is because of the turbo. But a tune and 3:73 gears is not going to throw a rod. Lol. A CAI is not going to cause a shock or ball joint to be faulty. A tune is not going to cause the motor in the window to stop working. A tune is not going to cause the air conditioning unit not to be cold.

With that said, I do agree with your point about when tuning or modding you take a chance about warranty issues. I got my tune after owning my stang for 6 months and for me willing to take that chance. If you research performance tunes and bolt on mods, there really are no found engine or transmission stories about it being destroyed. I could see issues and damage caused with Nitrous, turbo or superchargers to parts of engines and transmissions but bolt ons are highly safe. The # 8 issue is a thing of the past and no longer an issue.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 8/18/13 at 06:42 AM.
Old 8/18/13, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I could see if having a turbo running 20 pounds boost, highly probable throwing rods and breaking bearings is because of the turbo. But a tune and 3:73 gears is not going to throw a rod. Lol. A CAI is not going to cause a shock or ball joint to be faulty. A tune is not going to cause the motor in the window to stop working. A tune is not going to cause the air conditioning unit not to be cold.

With that said, I do agree with your point about when tuning or modding you take a chance about warranty issues. I got my tune after owning my stang for 6 months and for me willing to take that chance. If you research performance tunes and bolt on mods, there really are no found engine or transmission stories about it being destroyed. I could see issues and damage caused with Nitrous, turbo or superchargers to parts of engines and transmissions but bolt ons are highly safe. The # 8 issue is a thing of the past and no longer an issue.
About the second paragraph. I completely agree but just because there are no stories about it doesn't mean the manufacturers are going to be more lenient on warranty work. A tune CAI, x pipe and cams will put a car well under max horsepower but the manufacturer doesn't see it that way cause you still take a chance what if the person writing the tune was having an off day. What if the the timing chains and the can phasers were of a couple links and you bend your valves. Its all chances the manufacturer is not willing to take.
And what if I was pushing 20lbs of boost and my driveshaft kept snapping. Or the axles shafts keep snapping. Or my transmission kept needing to be rebuilt cause it can't handle the excess HP and tq cause I didn't do all the supporting mods. See not related to the turbo but a result of excess boost.
Old 8/18/13, 10:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

About the second paragraph. I completely agree but just because there are no stories about it doesn't mean the manufacturers are going to be more lenient on warranty work. A tune CAI, x pipe and cams will put a car well under max horsepower but the manufacturer doesn't see it that way cause you still take a chance what if the person writing the tune was having an off day. What if the the timing chains and the can phasers were of a couple links and you bend your valves. Its all chances the manufacturer is not willing to take.
And what if I was pushing 20lbs of boost and my driveshaft kept snapping. Or the axles shafts keep snapping. Or my transmission kept needing to be rebuilt cause it can't handle the excess HP and tq cause I didn't do all the supporting mods. See not related to the turbo but a result of excess boost.
Well, excess boost will highly probable cause issues with an engine if the engine is not built up to handle that kind of boost. A 5.0 can easy handle 600 HP with no additional work needed to that engine. Basic bolt on mods will get you no where near that HP. Now I agree if the tuner person screws up your tune, it can cause issues but you don't ever hear about Bama, MPT, Steeda, Lund, VMP, destroying engines or transmissions. In my opinion, the performance tunes today are 99 percent safe. Nothing is 100% but for me I'm willing to take the chance with basic bolt on mods.

With that said, if its that important to one to keep their factory warranty , don't mod. Good luck with not modding a mustang. Not me. F that factory warranty. I tuned after 6 months of owning my new stang. Stangs are meant to be modded. Lol

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 8/18/13 at 10:42 AM.
Old 8/18/13, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm an "old guy" too (58). Considering my stellar history with Ford vehicles ('06 Lariat Powerstroke 4x4, '07 GT, '11 Ranger 4x4 and now, '14 GT Track Pack), a drivetrain warranty has yet to be tested. I've installed an Airaid CAI and in the near future will hookup with AM to acquire a Bama tune, once I've installed an MGW to ensure shifts are dead on the money. I've been known to rip my '14 pretty hard at times. She always stands tall and takes what I dish out. I fear no catastrophic breakdowns or drivetrain malfunctions, regardless of aftermarket mods. I keep my vehicles serviced more frequently than Ford recommends and get them done at my dealership's Quicklane shop with Motorcraft fluids and filters. Call me lucky but, I trust a Ford a heck of a lot more than I do their competition. A Ford has never left me stranded or given me fits like a Mopar and GM has multiple times. My dealership (Don Vance Ford in Marshfield, MO) are a great bunch of guys and appreciate my exclusive business. That's why I drive 30 miles beyond my local Ford dealership for new vehicles and their servicing/repair needs. My new GT is performing perfectly and has given me no indications that it will fall short in the future.
Old 8/18/13, 11:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss
I'm an "old guy" too (58). Considering my stellar history with Ford vehicles ('06 Lariat Powerstroke 4x4, '07 GT, '11 Ranger 4x4 and now, '14 GT Track Pack), a drivetrain warranty has yet to be tested. I've installed an Airaid CAI and in the near future will hookup with AM to acquire a Bama tune, once I've installed an MGW to ensure shifts are dead on the money. I've been known to rip my '14 pretty hard at times. She always stands tall and takes what I dish out. I fear no catastrophic breakdowns or drivetrain malfunctions, regardless of aftermarket mods. I keep my vehicles serviced more frequently than Ford recommends and get them done at my dealership's Quicklane shop with Motorcraft fluids and filters. Call me lucky but, I trust a Ford a heck of a lot more than I do their competition. A Ford has never left me stranded or given me fits like a Mopar and GM has multiple times. My dealership (Don Vance Ford in Marshfield, MO) are a great bunch of guys and appreciate my exclusive business. That's why I drive 30 miles beyond my local Ford dealership for new vehicles and their servicing/repair needs. My new GT is performing perfectly and has given me no indications that it will fall short in the future.
Amen to that. The engines will hold up great. Mod away baby.
Old 8/18/13, 01:54 PM
GT Member

If you pay 320 month insurance, you should have you head examined for buying a car that costs that much insurance. Lmao.
Lol it's because I totaled my truck 5 years ago that falls off next month, but I just flipped my cbr a few months ago so with two accidents on my record, and only being 19, my insurance is crazy

That's the problem though, the piston 8 isn't a thing of the past, it's a very small percentage that has that issue, but I work at the ford dealer in my city there was a saleen (I believe 08) that came in with that exact problem granted he was supercharged but this is why I'm on the forums asking and doing my research. I would love to throw my tuner on it right now but my power train isn't even fully broken in yet, I'm only at 23xx miles

Quick Reply: Just got my 2013 5.0