5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Just got my 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/13, 10:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onequickstang

Actually the video on the accel coil on plugs on americanmuscle.com say its about a 15 hp 15 tq gain
But if you look at reviews accel isn't known as being a real quality product. If your going to buy coil packs I would go with msd if anything. But really I wouldn't change them. When it comes to ignition its probably better that you keep it stock because the manufacturer makes them specifically for that vehicle based off of build data that engineers come up with. Info that msd and accel don't even have knowledge of. So really you get a generic part that intensifies the spark so you will have to change plugs more often as well.
Old 9/12/13, 11:03 PM
Banned

Actually the video on the accel coil on plugs on americanmuscle.com say its about a 15 hp 15 tq gain
wait you're saying a vendor trying to sell stuff said it gives you more horsepower? you don't say.
Old 9/12/13, 11:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle

wait you're saying a vendor trying to sell stuff said it gives you more horsepower? you don't say.
Wow I didn't they could forge a dyno, the video is of a car being outfitted with them
Old 9/12/13, 11:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shaunrc

But if you look at reviews accel isn't known as being a real quality product. If your going to buy coil packs I would go with msd if anything. But really I wouldn't change them. When it comes to ignition its probably better that you keep it stock because the manufacturer makes them specifically for that vehicle based off of build data that engineers come up with. Info that msd and accel don't even have knowledge of. So really you get a generic part that intensifies the spark so you will have to change plugs more often as well.
That I did not think of, this is why I come on to forums, not for people trolling to be smart but for people who know more than I and to see it from other points f view
Old 9/13/13, 04:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ever heard the quote "a fool and his money are soon parted"?
If they said they cured cancer would you believe them?
Old 9/13/13, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by KC Henry

In order to take advantage of mods that improve flow (wheather it be intake and/or exhaust improvements), a tune is the only way to truly unlock the full potential of the additional flow you are adding.
This. Without a tune you might not gain any power from all those mods. Best three mods you can do are tune, off road mid pipe, and intake. Boss mid pipe and muffler deletes won't add power, and the throttle body and coils are highly debatable at best.
Old 9/13/13, 12:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
what's the midpipe? Another term for x-pipe/h-pipe?
Old 9/13/13, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
what's the midpipe? Another term for x-pipe/h-pipe?
Yes .
Old 9/13/13, 02:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMoose

This. Without a tune you might not gain any power from all those mods. Best three mods you can do are tune, off road mid pipe, and intake. Boss mid pipe and muffler deletes won't add power, and the throttle body and coils are highly debatable at best.
Don't forget side scoops add some serious HP and torque.
Old 9/16/13, 05:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Don't forget side scoops add some serious HP and torque.
Oh definitely won't forget that haha. I'm not dumb ladies and gents, I know I won't see any serious gains without a tune, I'm just trying to do some mild bolt ons that won't need to be tuned that way when I do tune it it'll be worth it. I'm still getting used to the car. Some other people I talked to said the coils might be a risky idea so I'm not doing those, And listening to most of you, I'm looking into a shorter shifter. The intake and mid pipe I'm planning on doing as more or less prep work for when I tune it. I'm holding off on the throttle body I've been told by several that even though its advertised as no tune required it might trip a check engine light. Everything I'm doing now is more or less building up to the tune. I'm working on suspension also, that way when I add the tune and tune-required mods it won't feel like its got all this power but can't make a turn. So far suspension wise I've only done a strut tower brace
Attached Thumbnails Just got my 2013 5.0-image-2891478875.jpg   Just got my 2013 5.0-image-1197550900.jpg  
Old 9/16/13, 05:40 PM
GT Member

As for #8 engine failure is that or is that not a big problem for the '13 coyote block? That is the number 1 reason I'm holding back on tuning it, I'm worried if I tune it that it'll ruin my motor. Would forged pistons & rods prevent this problem? What mods, tuned or not tuned, could I do to prevent the #8 piston from burning out if that is still a problem for my block?
Old 9/29/13, 06:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I had my vehicle dyno yesterday and while talking with the dyno operator he noticed my one tune from MPT was running too lean. The air fuel ratio was set for 12.5 parts to 1. While that setting does make more HP it can surely cause engine failures. The setting needs to be 12 parts to 1 ratio to be spot on. He said that's what caused the #8 engine failures was in the beginning of the new 11 coyote engines the 5.0's were being tuned with a higher air fuel ratio. The other GT's in the past could handle a 12.5 parts to 1 air fuel ratio but the 11 plus engines need to be 12 parts to 1. That's why the number 8 failures were occurring. Now that tuning companies know this, they just set the air fuel ratio at 12 parts to 1 and no more engine failures. Spot on setting..

For those out there who are still having #8 failures get your car dyno and it will most likely show your air fuel ratio 12.5 parts to 1. That's the only reason that failure occurred. The tolerances changed in the coyote engine and people didn't know this until the issue came about.

Steeda has never had any #8 failures because they set the air fuel ratio at 12 parts to 1 and that's spot on perfect. Once AM realized the problem and knew the tolerance of 12 parts to 1 that issue is a thing of the past.

I'm going to guess that the 3.7 engine never had any engine failures because the tuning companies were just setting the air fuel ratio for 12 parts to 1 from the beginning but when it came to the 5.0 they figured the air fuel ratio would be higher like the previous GT engines.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 9/29/13 at 06:18 AM.
Old 9/29/13, 06:25 AM
GT Member

I had my vehicle dyno yesterday and while talking with the dyno operator he noticed my one tune from MPT was running too lean. The air fuel ratio was set for 12.5 parts to 1. While that setting does make more HP it can surely cause engine failures. The setting needs to be 12 parts to 1 ratio to be spot on. He said that's what caused the #8 engine failures was in the beginning of the new 11 coyote engines the 5.0's were being tuned with a higher air fuel ratio. The other GT's in the past could handle a 12.5 parts to 1 air fuel ratio but the 11 plus engines need to be 12 parts to 1. That's why the number 8 failures were occurring. Now that tuning companies know this, they just set the air fuel ratio at 12 parts to 1 and no more engine failures. Spot on setting..

For those out there who are still having #8 failures get your car dyno and it will most likely show your air fuel ratio 12.5 parts to 1. That's the only reason that failure occurred. The tolerances changed in the coyote engine and people didn't know this until the issue came about.

Steeda has never had any #8 failures because they set the air fuel ratio at 12 parts to 1 and that's spot on perfect. Once AM realized the problem and knew the tolerance of 12 parts to 1 that issue is a thing of the past.

I'm going to guess that the 3.7 engine never had any engine failures because the tuning companies were just setting the air fuel ratio for 12 parts to 1 from the beginning but when it came to the 5.0 they figured the air fuel ratio would be higher like the previous GT engines.
Is there any way to check the air/fuel ratios of the tunes before plugging it in to your car? If that's the case then I will check those and if they're spot on I will gladly tune!
Old 9/29/13, 06:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a dumb question... Can we use the air fuel ratio shown in the app screen in 2013 as a guidance.
Old 9/29/13, 09:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Is there any way to check the air/fuel ratios of the tunes before plugging it in to your car? If that's the case then I will check those and if they're spot on I will gladly tune!
If I'm not mistaken I don't think there is any settings for to change the air fuel ratio. Its my understanding that ratio is imbedded into the actual tune and shows up on a dyno tune, data log or the tuner knows who tuned the car. Its seems that if Steeda was spot on 12 parts to 1 air fuel ratio as well as American Muscle same, then it must be the standard there using when programing any 11 plus 3.7 models and even 5.0's. According to this dyno operator that was the issue with the #8 cylinder when it was being tuned a bit lean because of previous year GT models.

Perhaps Steeda or AM can provide further and advise if this is correct.
Old 9/29/13, 07:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually according to the techs I work with if your ECM shows it was tuned ford will deny your warranty completely
that is true, I unfortunately learned that from experience. I had a corvette once and added a CIA and full exhaust. driving down the road and for whatever reason (stress, me, etc.) I threw a piston out. The dealer told me sorry but not our problem since I had it tuned. Cost me 7K to get it fixed. I swore I would not void a factory warranty again unless I really could afford to fix anything and everything out of pocket. Not saying not to mod or anything, just sharing my experience.
Old 9/29/13, 08:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by texasgtguy

that is true, I unfortunately learned that from experience. I had a corvette once and added a CIA and full exhaust. driving down the road and for whatever reason (stress, me, etc.) I threw a piston out. The dealer told me sorry but not our problem since I had it tuned. Cost me 7K to get it fixed. I swore I would not void a factory warranty again unless I really could afford to fix anything and everything out of pocket. Not saying not to mod or anything, just sharing my experience.
How does a piston get thrown out from a tune and CAI? No way a proper and safe tune and CAI could of caused that type of damage.
Old 9/29/13, 08:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
How does a piston get thrown out from a tune and CAI? No way a proper and safe tune and CAI could of caused that type of damage.
It's not a matter of it being true. It's a matter of trying to prove it isn't. The internet is full of the same story when it comes to tuned engines and warranty denial. This forum has many such stories.
Old 9/29/13, 08:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V

It's not a matter of it being true. It's a matter of trying to prove it isn't. The internet is full of the same story when it comes to tuned engines and warranty denial. This forum has many such stories.
Yeah true stories out there . You never hear about the stories when someone hires a lawyer and files suit against the car company to prove the damage. Something tells me that the car company would just spend the money to fix the issue than defend it in court and pay legal expenses.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 9/29/13 at 08:39 PM.
Old 9/29/13, 11:23 PM
GT Member

If I'm not mistaken I don't think there is any settings for to change the air fuel ratio. Its my understanding that ratio is imbedded into the actual tune and shows up on a dyno tune, data log or the tuner knows who tuned the car. Its seems that if Steeda was spot on 12 parts to 1 air fuel ratio as well as American Muscle same, then it must be the standard there using when programing any 11 plus 3.7 models and even 5.0's. According to this dyno operator that was the issue with the #8 cylinder when it was being tuned a bit lean because of previous year GT models.

Perhaps Steeda or AM can provide further and advise if this is correct.
Do you know if there's a way to just view the air/fuel ratio to make sure it's 12 parts to 1?

Quick Reply: Just got my 2013 5.0