Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Just got my 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/13, 01:12 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bottom line is I plan on tuning around 10k miles, I have to send my tuner in to get checked because it won't power up unless its connected to the car and it says to update the tuner software before using. I already have a CAI I'm going to use but it needs a tune, and I'm going to save up for the boss 302 intake manifold. What are things I should specify to bama to make sure my tune won't toast my motor?

Thank you to everyone, I'm learning a lot here
Old 10/2/13, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
Here is the values for KSRR on a ZFK tear.

RPM - (Degrees per revolution) - per event.
5500 - 1.5
5000 - 1.5
4500 - 1.5
4000 - 1.5
3500 - 1.25
3000 - 1
2500 - 1
2000 - 1
1500 - 1
1000 - 1
So if I wanted an aggressive tune for daily driving but with the occasional use of nitrous, you would want to build in the extra timing but let the tune pull it out rapidly if it needs to... or is what I'm saying completely unsafe?

The reason why I'm asking is because I have a daily driver and would like to add a 100 shot of nitrous for occasional use but I would not want to drive around with a nitrous tune with pulled timing.
Old 10/3/13, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg2011
Or is what I'm saying completely unsafe?
When it comes to timing. Always play it on the safe side. If it was me, I would leave the advance table stock, with a more aggressive retard table.

-Matt
Old 10/3/13, 11:49 PM
GT Member

When it comes to timing. Always play it on the safe side. If it was me, I would leave the advance table stock, with a more aggressive retard table.

-Matt
This is the kind of stuff I need to learn.everything you guys just said went right over my head
Old 10/3/13, 11:49 PM
GT Member

So if I wanted an aggressive tune for daily driving but with the occasional use of nitrous, you would want to build in the extra timing but let the tune pull it out rapidly if it needs to... or is what I'm saying completely unsafe?

The reason why I'm asking is because I have a daily driver and would like to add a 100 shot of nitrous for occasional use but I would not want to drive around with a nitrous tune with pulled timing.
Can the stock intake manifold/ internals handle nitrous?
Old 10/4/13, 05:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by onequickstang

This is the kind of stuff I need to learn.everything you guys just said went right over my head
Don't feel bad bro. I too have no idea what was said. Lmao. That's way above my pay grade. Lol
Old 10/4/13, 09:02 AM

Can the stock intake manifold/ internals handle nitrous?
I think you can safely run up to a 100 shot without going to a colder plug, provided of course you run a window switch, fuel pressure safety, and throttle switch.

The stock intake will live as long as you don't have a nitrous backfire, which the throttle and window switches will help avoid.

The weak links internally are the rods and pistons. Although there are some people out there pushing a 150 shot, I wouldn't do it. Forged rods and pistons should let you run a 200 shot.
Old 10/4/13, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think you can safely run up to a 100 shot without going to a colder plug, provided of course you run a window switch, fuel pressure safety, and throttle switch.

The stock intake will live as long as you don't have a nitrous backfire, which the throttle and window switches will help avoid.

The weak links internally are the rods and pistons. Although there are some people out there pushing a 150 shot, I wouldn't do it. Forged rods and pistons should let you run a 200 shot.
Windows switch is (in my opinion) the BEST safety feature you can have with nitrous. I would couple a window switch, with a TPS switch for our cars.

I've always found that through a single nozzle system 125 is about the best you can go. Anymore than that you would need to be on an atomized plate.

-Matt
Old 10/4/13, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just going to chime in to the people not understanding fords view on tunes under warranty after reading through all 19 pages lol...
This is entirely my opinion on it but I believe it makes since.
1. Once they see a tune they will automatically assume you run the **** out of your car or track it, which means they think if you are running it as hard as it can go all the time that's what couldve caused the issue due to higher hp, more engine stress etc etc.
2. Someone mentioned how they did they think gears could void a warranty but its the same deal. They think you run it hard since you swapped gears so you pushing the car to its max all the time couldve caused the issue.
3. Same goes for most performance parts if you really think about it, mostly since you are adding more horsepower than how ford built it. They test them extremely hard when they do their extensive testing on them so they can say the factory set up can handle this and this but if you add this we don't know what it could do/ effect if you run it hard etc etc.
Not saying its entirely right but they have a good view point on it because they know there's people out there that purposely beat the hell out of their new cars that try to use warranty, which why would fors want to fix something you just abused and didn't take care of?
Old 10/8/13, 02:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Don't feel bad bro. I too have no idea what was said. Lmao. That's way above my pay grade. Lol
At least I'm not the only one. Lol

Windows switch is (in my opinion) the BEST safety feature you can have with nitrous. I would couple a window switch, with a TPS switch for our cars.

I've always found that through a single nozzle system 125 is about the best you can go. Anymore than that you would need to be on an atomized plate.

-Matt
You guys gotta break it down to nitrous for dummies for me lol. When you say window switches I think switches for my windows. Lmao.
What is a window switch?
Throttle switch?
TPS switch?
I would only want to run 75 shot for now anyway
Old 10/8/13, 02:25 AM
GT Member

For anyone still following this thread I just crested 4000 miles and after more research and everyone's input I'm hooking up my CAI and tuner tomorrow
Old 10/8/13, 06:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

For anyone still following this thread I just crested 4000 miles and after more research and everyone's input I'm hooking up my CAI and tuner tomorrow
Sweet bro. You will love it.
Old 10/8/13, 06:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
good move.. u'll enjoy the new beast after the tune. whch tune r u going with
Old 10/8/13, 06:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

You guys gotta break it down to nitrous for dummies for me lol. When you say window switches I think switches for my windows. Lmao.
What is a window switch?
Throttle switch?
TPS switch?
I would only want to run 75 shot for now anyway
Window switch, is a device that activates nitrous between a pre-set RPM. For instance you want your nitrous to be active between 1k and 7k RPM.

Throttle switch, will activate the nitrous system at a certain throttle angel/percentage. For instance, you want the nitrous to activate at 100% throttle.

TPS = Throttle Position Switch

100 is the safest option. (Always has been)

-Matt
Old 10/13/13, 12:23 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
The CAI I had didn't fit, so now I'm saving up to actually buy one hopefully next month

Window switch, is a device that activates nitrous between a pre-set RPM. For instance you want your nitrous to be active between 1k and 7k RPM.

Throttle switch, will activate the nitrous system at a certain throttle angel/percentage. For instance, you want the nitrous to activate at 100% throttle.

TPS = Throttle Position Switch

100 is the safest option. (Always has been)

-Matt
Thank you lol it all makes sense now
Old 11/20/13, 12:49 AM
GT Member

For anyone still following this thread I got the steeda CAI and sct tuner with bama tunes and the bama tunes caused my heads to detonate because the afr was set wrong.
Old 11/20/13, 12:50 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
I originally was going with a bama flash tune (I did love it) but it caused detonation so I had to flash it back to stock and I'm getting it dyno tuned with Eddie at addiction motorsports on Friday
Old 11/20/13, 12:51 AM
GT Member

It was awesome but the tune was bad so I had to take it off until I dyno tune it Friday
Old 11/20/13, 05:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

It was awesome but the tune was bad so I had to take it off until I dyno tune it Friday
Oh wow. That's stinks.
Old 11/20/13, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A bad tune from OBAMA? Say it ain't so..............

Quick Reply: Just got my 2013 5.0