Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Just got my 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/13, 11:39 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my 2013 5.0

Now I'm trying to modify as much as i can without tuning it so my warranty isn't completely toast. Would I be able to put a 90mm throttle body and CAI on without a tune?
Attached Thumbnails Just got my 2013 5.0-image-3370952426.jpg   Just got my 2013 5.0-image-3433823435.jpg   Just got my 2013 5.0-image-3508053861.jpg   Just got my 2013 5.0-image-716155525.jpg  
Old 8/12/13, 11:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Congrats and good luck with your awesome new stang! Looks like you already have a couple in the stable too. I'm positive a new larger TB and/or worthwhile CAI would require a tune.
Old 8/12/13, 12:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SoFlaBoss
Congrats and good luck with your awesome new stang! Looks like you already have a couple in the stable too. I'm positive a new larger TB and/or worthwhile CAI would require a tune.
Hmm. That's what I thought but I've also heard it doesn't. Those 2 are my old man's. a 1964 1/2 with a built small block 302 (for now) and his dd is the 07 gt500.
Old 8/12/13, 01:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
there is basically nothing you can do for performance that won't void the warranty if that particular mod is the root cause of any future failure. Or if Ford feels like blaming your mods on any failure. It sucks, trust me.
There are the ford racing performance parts, but they don't add much power and it isn't clear whether the parts will be covered by parts warranty or retain your powertrain warranty. Plus they have to be installed by the dealer which costs about an arm and a leg.
Old 8/12/13, 02:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dan S.
there is basically nothing you can do for performance that won't void the warranty if that particular mod is the root cause of any future failure. Or if Ford feels like blaming your mods on any failure. It sucks, trust me.
There are the ford racing performance parts, but they don't add much power and it isn't clear whether the parts will be covered by parts warranty or retain your powertrain warranty. Plus they have to be installed by the dealer which costs about an arm and a leg.
That's true, even with the employee discount lol right now I'm just doing an axle back to give it a more aggressive sound but I really want to start my intake
Old 8/12/13, 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Both would actually be a waste of money on a stock or even slightly modified car.
Old 8/12/13, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Congrats! Beautiful car! I would start off with a set of wheels
Old 8/12/13, 05:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Both would actually be a waste of money on a stock or even slightly modified car.
What do you mean?

Originally Posted by Tron
Congrats! Beautiful car! I would start off with a set of wheels
Actually I am getting some svt rims from an 07 shelby lol
Old 8/12/13, 07:38 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the car? Goodluck keeping it stock I've heard this before, its a fight.
Old 8/12/13, 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

A 90mm TB on a stock 5.0?

LOL

You will max out the stocker at around 600hp. Anymore CFM than that and I can then see the benefit. Up until then, you will be okay with the OEM TB.
Old 8/12/13, 10:05 PM

Aftermarket CAI's are a cosmetic add on, don't get sucked into the hype that it adds power , the stock CAI, is more than adequate for making power. Here are my dyno results with the only mods being a 93 octane tune, and GT500 axleback, which btw adds sound but nothing for HP. I also included best ET on street tires with stock 3.15 gears
Name:  DynoResultswith93OctaneTune1024x800.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  608.3 KB
Name:  AtcoPersonalBest.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  73.1 KB
Old 8/12/13, 10:20 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Congrats on the car bro!! I've heard lots of guys say don't bother with a CAI except for engine bay aesthetics. Get the axlebacks which won't affect your warranty. Enjoy that baby, she's a beauty!
Old 8/13/13, 02:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok so the two biggest restrictions that car manufacturers put on their vehicles are the intake and exhaust obviously for emission purposes. Freeing up those restrictions will help in performance not by leaps and bounds but its a start. As far as parts that won't void the warranty you would need to put on a carb approved part. As far as exhaust it doesn't need a carb number cause it doesn't effect emissions its simply sound. If this was already said I apologize
Old 8/13/13, 07:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
with just about any mod, the engine won't run well or may give you a CEL unless the ecm is tuned accordingly. One you flash the ecm, its an open door for Ford's warranty department to deny any claim they can associate with modifying the ECM. Anything from a block failure to an emissions failure. "Your custom tune overfueled the engine and caused the failure. Denied." You really won't be able to prove them wrong.
Old 8/13/13, 08:15 AM
Temporary Vacation

I just picked up a white 2013 GT also, I love it! My understanding on the open air cleaner elements is not to do it ,as can clearly be seen,the hood vents let water pour into the air inlet / mass air meter. Causing a dead engine.
Like others are saying,I wouldn't do anything to void the warranty.
I haven't looked yet,but maybe ford Motorsport has a supercharger that won't void the warranty. But again,I didn't look yet.
Old 8/13/13, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the new I am in the same boat as you a I bet many others I want to add some mods but not void warranty. I have been back a fourth suspension mods or intake a tune which could lead to off road x or a bottle.

Enjoy!
Old 8/13/13, 09:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony
Aftermarket CAI's are a cosmetic add on, don't get sucked into the hype that it adds power , the stock CAI, is more than adequate for making power. Here are my dyno results with the only mods being a 93 octane tune, and GT500 axleback, which btw adds sound but nothing for HP. I also included best ET on street tires with stock 3.15 gears
Solid numbers. What tune are you running?
Old 8/13/13, 01:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Victory-rc
I just picked up a white 2013 GT also, I love it! My understanding on the open air cleaner elements is not to do it ,as can clearly be seen,the hood vents let water pour into the air inlet / mass air meter. Causing a dead engine.
Like others are saying,I wouldn't do anything to void the warranty.
I haven't looked yet,but maybe ford Motorsport has a supercharger that won't void the warranty. But again,I didn't look yet.
Who keeps a mustang stock and worries about warranties? In my experience, Very few people do other than women and old guys (and I'm an old guy Lol). If I was worried about warranties, longevity and keeping a car stock, It would be a V6 accord coupe or Maxima. Both are very nice cars in stock form. I'm of the belief that mustangs are meant to be modded. Tunes are very safe now and are not an automatic warranty void. Everyone is different though and need to respect both mindsets I guess.
Old 8/13/13, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT

Who keeps a mustang stock and worries about warranties? In my experience, Very few people do other than women and old guys (and I'm an old guy Lol). If I was worried about warranties, longevity and keeping a car stock, It would be a V6 accord coupe or Maxima. Both are very nice cars in stock form. I'm of the belief that mustangs are meant to be modded. Tunes are very safe now and are not an automatic warranty void. Everyone is different though and need to respect both mindsets I guess.
I agree but a tune will definitely void a warranty the dealership can we everything that has been done to the ecu. Even if you put a tune on and take it off you will still void it because the tech can see in the computer the last time the ecu was flashed or adjusted.
Old 8/13/13, 02:27 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
I for one am not an old guy (only early 30's), but I have had "fast cars" and sold them to buy my slower 5.0 Mustang because I wanted something that had a Warranty, was more comfortable, more fuel efficient, and all while being somewhat "quick" and decent looking.

I happen to work in a "stealership" and I can tell you first hand that Modding your car WILL void the warranty should you have any issues and they get the chance to "pass the buck".

Quick Reply: Just got my 2013 5.0