5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Just got my 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/13, 01:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss
I'm an "old guy" too (58). Considering my stellar history with Ford vehicles ('06 Lariat Powerstroke 4x4, '07 GT, '11 Ranger 4x4 and now, '14 GT Track Pack), a drivetrain warranty has yet to be tested. I've installed an Airaid CAI and in the near future will hookup with AM to acquire a Bama tune, once I've installed an MGW to ensure shifts are dead on the money. I've been known to rip my '14 pretty hard at times. She always stands tall and takes what I dish out. I fear no catastrophic breakdowns or drivetrain malfunctions, regardless of aftermarket mods. I keep my vehicles serviced more frequently than Ford recommends and get them done at my dealership's Quicklane shop with Motorcraft fluids and filters. Call me lucky but, I trust a Ford a heck of a lot more than I do their competition. A Ford has never left me stranded or given me fits like a Mopar and GM has multiple times. My dealership (Don Vance Ford in Marshfield, MO) are a great bunch of guys and appreciate my exclusive business. That's why I drive 30 miles beyond my local Ford dealership for new vehicles and their servicing/repair needs. My new GT is performing perfectly and has given me no indications that it will fall short in the future.
You were able to do a CAI without a tune? I've been told even that needs a tune
Old 8/18/13, 03:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by onequickstang

You were able to do a CAI without a tune? I've been told even that needs a tune
Some don't, some do but without a tune your not gonna see any real performance gain from it just really cool sounds and maybe mpg increase.
Old 8/18/13, 03:19 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Some don't, some do but without a tune your not gonna see any real performance gain from it just really cool sounds and maybe mpg increase.
Honestly that's good enough for me for now lol what CAIs don't require a tune?
Old 8/18/13, 03:27 PM
Cobra Member

Honestly that's good enough for me for now lol what CAIs don't require a tune?
Theres a bunch. You can look on A.M. and if it needs a tune it will say it on there. Airaid , BBK, C&L and JLT make one that doesn't require a tune. Not sure about Steeda tho I think there's requires a tune.
Old 8/18/13, 04:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lol it's because I totaled my truck 5 years ago that falls off next month, but I just flipped my cbr a few months ago so with two accidents on my record, and only being 19, my insurance is crazy

That's the problem though, the piston 8 isn't a thing of the past, it's a very small percentage that has that issue, but I work at the ford dealer in my city there was a saleen (I believe 08) that came in with that exact problem granted he was supercharged but this is why I'm on the forums asking and doing my research. I would love to throw my tuner on it right now but my power train isn't even fully broken in yet, I'm only at 23xx miles
I have had my sct tuner since less than 5,000 miles on my stang and now I'm at around 24k miles. If my memory serves me correctly the #8 piston issue was back in late 2010 on the early 11 5.0 mustangs. American Muscle figured out the issue and I haven't heard of one 2012 plus having a number 8 piston issue. AM even gives a warranty on the # 8 piston but that issue is no longer a issue for the 11 plus 5.0's. AM figured out what went wrong with there tune that was causing the issue and its not a problem any more.

If one doesn't feel comfortable modding then certainly don't mod. If one can wait the 60, 000 mile powertrain warranty to run out, more power too them. I just needed to mod my stang because its an American iconic car that demands to be modded so I can kick the ricers a$$. Lmao

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 8/18/13 at 04:34 PM.
Old 8/18/13, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

I have had my sct tuner since less than 5,000 miles on my stang and now I'm at around 24k miles. If my memory serves me correctly the #8 piston issue was back in late 2010 on the early 11 5.0 mustangs. American Muscle figured out the issue and I haven't heard of one 2012 plus having a number 8 piston issue. AM even gives a warranty on the # 8 piston but that issue is no longer a issue for the 11 plus 5.0's. AM figured out what went wrong with there tune that was causing the issue and its not a problem any more.

If one doesn't feel comfortable modding then certainly don't mod. If one can wait the 60, 000 mile powertrain warranty to run out, more power too them. I just needed to mod my stang because its an American iconic car that demands to be modded so I can kick the ricers a$$. Lmao
I completely agree with your second paragraph there is nothing I love and appreciate more than someone's personality and determination represented by a beautiful nice sounding mustang and of course maybe your not so beautiful but fully modded daily driver or drifter. Im not sure but I think the topic was warranty work and whether or not if modding would void it. Its been a long thread but all in all modding is the way to go. Do it for Shelby haha
Old 8/18/13, 06:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by shaunrc

I completely agree with your second paragraph there is nothing I love and appreciate more than someone's personality and determination represented by a beautiful nice sounding mustang and of course maybe your not so beautiful but fully modded daily driver or drifter. Im not sure but I think the topic was warranty work and whether or not if modding would void it. Its been a long thread but all in all modding is the way to go. Do it for Shelby haha
Lol. Well little beautiful I am. Lmao. Yeah, modding will definitely cause issues when you need warranty work done. Lol. Mod baby mod. Lol
Old 8/19/13, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol it's because I totaled my truck 5 years ago that falls off next month, but I just flipped my cbr a few months ago so with two accidents on my record, and only being 19, my insurance is crazy
Um, wait - that math doesn't work. If you're 19 now, and you flipped a truck 5 years ago, that means you were 14 when you flipped your truck??? Since you weren't legal to drive, you couldn't have a license or insurance. How did that work?
Old 8/19/13, 06:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh

Um, wait - that math doesn't work. If you're 19 now, and you flipped a truck 5 years ago, that means you were 14 when you flipped your truck??? Since you weren't legal to drive, you couldn't have a license or insurance. How did that work?
I turn 20 in 2 days lol
Old 8/19/13, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I turn 20 in 2 days lol
That still doesn't work man so you were 15 with a license and insured?
Old 8/19/13, 07:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That still doesn't work man so you were 15 with a license and insured?
I was thinking the same thing. I think some mid west states you can drive at 14 or 15. Lol
Old 8/19/13, 07:18 PM
GT Member

I was thinking the same thing. I think some mid west states you can drive at 14 or 15. Lol
In California you can get your license at 15
Old 8/19/13, 07:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

In California you can get your license at 15
Wow. That's crazy lol
Old 8/19/13, 07:43 PM
Cobra Member

In Va to, had mines when I was 15 1/2.
Old 8/19/13, 11:30 PM
GT Member

Actually the original topic of this thread is any mods for a 2013 5.0 that do not need a tune. Lol
Old 8/20/13, 01:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Actually the original topic of this thread is any mods for a 2013 5.0 that do not need a tune. Lol
We know what it is you're looking for. You don't need to reiterate your request. May I ask why you are so specifically wanting a "no tune" intake for your car? Is it to impress your bros when you pop the hood on your new 5.0?

Yo bros! Check out my sick intake yo. Dat plastic tube and huge air filter is DOPE! YOLO! SWAG! #5point0 #mustang
Originally Posted by onequickstang bro friends
Aww **** dawg! That is sick nasty!! SO JELLY!
That's really the only reason I can conjure up at the moment why you would want to spend money on something you cant use to it's full potential. I can only conclude that your general knowledge on anything automotive is somewhat slim. I only base that on your previous post on buying a Shelby V6 and wanting 800+ wheel horsepower.

Your first REAL mod to the car should be an MGW shifter.
Old 8/24/13, 07:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ibnzmonkey

We know what it is you're looking for. You don't need to reiterate your request. May I ask why you are so specifically wanting a "no tune" intake for your car? Is it to impress your bros when you pop the hood on your new 5.0?

That's really the only reason I can conjure up at the moment why you would want to spend money on something you cant use to it's full potential. I can only conclude that your general knowledge on anything automotive is somewhat slim. I only base that on your previous post on buying a Shelby V6 and wanting 800+ wheel horsepower.

Not at all, actually. And you don't need to be rude. I'm looking for no tune mods AT THE MOMENT because I just paid $2300 for a warranty to cover any problems that may arise while I'm breaking the car in. I'm looking at the AIRRAID intake, because it can be no tune or tune depending on wether the insert is in, once I put more miles on my car and my warranty is almost up, I will tune it. I just can't afford any repairs if I void the warranty and something breaks and I really don't want a $34k paper weight!

Last edited by onequickstang; 8/24/13 at 07:22 PM.
Old 8/24/13, 07:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ibnzmonkey

And also if you look at the dates of my previous posts it was a while ago, I was doing homework. You really don't need to be a royal jackass, the whole point of creating this thread is to see what no tune mods people recommend, if you don't want to help with that, then please find the door. If you are going to continue being a disrespectful ***** then quick commenting on the thread
Old 8/24/13, 08:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Not at all, actually. And you don't need to be rude. I'm looking for no tune mods AT THE MOMENT because I just paid $2300 for a warranty to cover any problems that may arise while I'm breaking the car in. I'm looking at the AIRRAID intake, because it can be no tune or tune depending on wether the insert is in, once I put more miles on my car and my warranty is almost up, I will tune it. I just can't afford any repairs if I void the warranty and something breaks and I really don't want a $34k paper weight!
If your looking for a CAI that does not require a tune, then the Airraid CAI is right up your alley. The Airraid does not require a tune and can completely understand you not wanting to void your warranty with a tune and be stuck with a 34 k paper weight. If your looking for increased performance with the non tuned CAI , then you will not get any. In order for the CAI to provide any added acceleration performance , you need a tune.

If your looking to just add some hot girl sucking cool sound under the hood when WOT, then a non tuned CAI will do the trick. I recommend Airraid for you! Hope this helps bro!

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 8/24/13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 8/24/13, 08:34 PM
GT Member

If your looking for a CAI that does not require a tune, then the Airraid CAI is right up your alley. The Airraid does not require a tune and can completely understand you not wanting to void your warranty with a tune and be stuck with a 34 k paper weight. If your looking for increased performance with the non tuned CAI , then you will not get any. In order for the CAI to provide any added acceleration performance , you need a tune.

If your looking to just add some hot girl sucking cool sound under the hood when WOT, then a non tuned CAI will do the trick. I recommend Airraid for you! Hope this helps bro!
Thank you. For now I'm just looking to improve the appearance of it since that's all I can do without a tune. I like the AIRRAID because once you tune it you can pull out the insert and its just as good as any other intake

Quick Reply: Just got my 2013 5.0