5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Just got my 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/13, 05:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Wrong. They'll know the difference.
oh really? Can you prove this? Please explain...
Old 8/15/13, 06:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan S.
with just about any mod, the engine won't run well or may give you a CEL unless the ecm is tuned accordingly. One you flash the ecm, its an open door for Ford's warranty department to deny any claim they can associate with modifying the ECM. Anything from a block failure to an emissions failure. "Your custom tune overfueled the engine and caused the failure. Denied." You really won't be able to prove them wrong.
A dealership is gonna have a hard time proving the mod did cause the damage. One can speculate but in the end there most likely not be any concrete evidence of it did or didnt. The real issue is, they deny and then one has to file suit against the dealership. One has to hire a lawyer which costs you money and most likely the dealership won't want to go to court. Most likely its just more cost effective to fix the broken part than to pay for court. Of course court can take months and even years so you have to upfront the funds to have the car fixed and then get the money back from the dealership when you win in court. Its a real pain in the rear.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 8/15/13 at 06:57 PM.
Old 8/15/13, 06:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT

Who keeps a mustang stock and worries about warranties? In my experience, Very few people do other than women and old guys (and I'm an old guy Lol). If I was worried about warranties, longevity and keeping a car stock, It would be a V6 accord coupe or Maxima. Both are very nice cars in stock form. I'm of the belief that mustangs are meant to be modded. Tunes are very safe now and are not an automatic warranty void. Everyone is different though and need to respect both mindsets I guess.
I have to totally 100% agree with this gentleman. Who the heck buys a mustang and not want to power mod it. That's what the mustang is. The car is the most modded friendly car on this face of earth. No car more is modded than our mustangs. The car was born to be three things. Sexy, fast and modded. As far as performance tunes go. I got my tuner 6 months after I bought my new mustang back in 2010. I had researched the ***** out of performance tunes and couldn't find but one issue about tuners and that issue was solved back in 2011 and it was even that horrible. I have yet found any reports of performance tuners destroying engines or transmissions. The only issue I ever heard was about the 5.0 with the #8 cylinder from AM tuners. Which by the way was long solved and AM warranties that. The tunes today are safe and not destroying engines. I would love to see any documented cases in the last 5 years of any reputable tuners destroying engines or transmissions.

As far as CAI, what damage is that going to do to your car. None. What damage is 3:73 gears gonna cause as long as they are installed correctly. Mod away buddy. Other than nitrous , supercharger or turbo what N/A mod is going to jack your car up. If a water pump goes at 30k miles then that's a faulty water pump, not a tuner or other n/a mod.

I have a little 11 v6 and because its an awesome looking stang and respectable base line numbers I spent around 3,000 on power mods. Heck, the car was meant to be modded. Just do it!

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 8/15/13 at 07:08 PM.
Old 8/15/13, 07:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I have yet found any reports of performance tuners destroying engines or transmissions. The only issue I ever heard was about the 5.0 with the #8 cylinder from AM tuners. Which by the way was long solved and AM warranties that. The tunes today are safe and not destroying engines. I would love to see any documented cases in the last 5 years of any reputable tuners destroying engines or transmissions.
Feel free to check out this facebook community (https://www.facebook.com/groups/390786757684390/), there are a couple American muscle Bama tuned cars that blew #8 and did NOT get covered.

If you wish to not believe me and/or them, simply call American Muscle and ask them. They will tell you that NOT all of the Bama tune "Claims" with the #8 Warranty have been covered.

When I called them to ask them to price match the $289 advertised for the ProCal on www.BuyFordRacing.com website, they not only refused to price match but he went on to say: "That if I was worried about a Warranty and did not have the spare cash to pay for a #8 failure out of pocket, to NOT mod the Mustang at all".

It was after he said that, that I asked about the #8 warranty on their tunes, and he flat out told me, "Not all submitted claims are eligible for the Warranty", and then he reiterated "That if I was worried about a Warranty and did not have the spare cash to pay for a #8 failure out of pocket, to NOT mod the Mustang at all".

After that I did some research, read up on Ford Racing's 3 pages of Warranty coverages and exemptions and found a local Ford dealer to install and REGISTER my ProCal so that I would have at least some type or warranty and piece of mind.
Old 8/15/13, 07:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT

Greatest analogy for this topic ^
I ran the snot out of mine for 1000 miles to make sure there were no issues. I installed the Steeda 93 tune and cai and changed the oil to a base 4 synthetic. The car now has 20,000 miles and couldn't be stronger. Steeda has 0 failures BTW. Take off your skirts and Tune your car.
I have been running my bama tunes for approximately 2 1/2 years. I have a CAI, 3:73 gears, one piece aluminium driveshaft, BBK headers, off road x pipe and Flowmaster exhaust force II mufflers. I now hit 25k miles today and the car runs perfect and run the car pretty good. The only issue I had was just last week my front 02 sensor went bad. I have no doubt the factory sensor went bad because it just was a faulty from the factory and has nothing to do with having headers and off road x pipe. Technically , this factory should be covered under my factory warranty . I know the dealership will fight me on it, not cover the 02 sensor and blame my off road x pipe is the reason it went bad.

Am I going to waste my money and time to hire a lawyer to file suit for a 114 dollar 02 sensor from AM. Heck no. I'm just gonna buy the new part, fix it myself and move on with it.
Old 8/15/13, 07:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

I have been running my bama tunes for approximately 2 1/2 years. I have a CAI, 3:73 gears, one piece aluminium driveshaft, BBK headers, off road x pipe and Flowmaster exhaust force II mufflers. I now hit 25k miles today and the car runs perfect and run the car pretty good. The only issue I had was just last week my front 02 sensor went bad. I have no doubt the factory sensor went bad because it just was a faulty from the factory and has nothing to do with having headers and off road x pipe. Technically , this factory should be covered under my factory warranty . I know the dealership will fight me on it, not cover the 02 sensor and blame my off road x pipe is the reason it went bad.

Am I going to waste my money and time to hire a lawyer to file suit for a 114 dollar 02 sensor from AM. Heck no. I'm just gonna buy the new part, fix it myself and move on with it.
You should post a video of your exhaust. Sounds pretty bad @ss I bet.
Old 8/15/13, 08:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by KC Henry

Feel free to check out this facebook community (https://www.facebook.com/groups/390786757684390/), there are a couple American muscle Bama tuned cars that blew #8 and did NOT get covered.

If you wish to not believe me and/or them, simply call American Muscle and ask them. They will tell you that NOT all of the Bama tune "Claims" with the #8 Warranty have been covered.

When I called them to ask them to price match the $289 advertised for the ProCal on www.BuyFordRacing.com website, they not only refused to price match but he went on to say: "That if I was worried about a Warranty and did not have the spare cash to pay for a #8 failure out of pocket, to NOT mod the Mustang at all".

It was after he said that, that I asked about the #8 warranty on their tunes, and he flat out told me, "Not all submitted claims are eligible for the Warranty", and then he reiterated "That if I was worried about a Warranty and did not have the spare cash to pay for a #8 failure out of pocket, to NOT mod the Mustang at all".

After that I did some research, read up on Ford Racing's 3 pages of Warranty coverages and exemptions and found a local Ford dealer to install and REGISTER my ProCal so that I would have at least some type or warranty and piece of mind.
True , there was a #8 cylinder issue back several years ago. That was the only issue I could find with the tuners and since AM knew about the issue they had added a #8 cylinder warranty into there tunes, however that issue has been long fixed. Now, did that #8 cylinder blow the engine up. I don't think so. How much was that # 8 cylinder to fix, no idea? The tunes today are safe as safe can be. I haven't found current issues with Bama, MPT, Lund, VMP, Steeda , etc tunes causing engine or transmission issues.
Old 8/15/13, 08:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio

You should post a video of your exhaust. Sounds pretty bad @ss I bet.
As you requested. Please excuse my ugly mug. Lol

http://db.tt/uPYMX4nS
Old 8/15/13, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I read the issues were because they were still getting familiar with the new engine. But now its been yrs, doesnt seem it would make much sense for them to keep selling it if it was reeeally that bad of a risk, AM is good people IMO. Also, makes sense that the #8 warranty would not cover all claims, given that i doubt all the claims would be caused by the tune. You could tune the car, then add mods and who knows what else to the engine, yet not get your tune updated for the mods, run the same old tune again, and have issues. I wouldnt cover it, shouldve updated the tune first.

Tho it also makes sense that if you dont have at least a second car, or some extra cash, you probably shouldnt do complicated mods. Unless your willing to take the risk.
Old 8/15/13, 09:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ugghh you guys, the issue is not whether the tune can cause a failure or not. The issue is if you have a failure (caused by the tune or not) Ford will deny the claim if they see you tuned it. And they could attribute just about any failure of the engine besides leaks and cooling system to a tune if they wanted to. And they likely will.
Old 8/15/13, 10:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

ugghh you guys, the issue is not whether the tune can cause a failure or not. The issue is if you have a failure (caused by the tune or not) Ford will deny the claim if they see you tuned it. And they could attribute just about any failure of the engine besides leaks and cooling system to a tune if they wanted to. And they likely will.
Well I totally agree that should you have an issue Ford may and most likely will deny your warranty claim. Then you will have a choice. Fix the issue by paying out of pocket or hire an attorney, file suit against the dealership and Ford and make them prove to 51% of the jury , the modifications caused the broken part. Have your expert mechanics testify as why the mod had nothing to due with the part failing and its completely incidental.

Many of us either can fix our own cars or have close friends who can fix whatever breaks, so myself included is not worried about stuff breaking. Ford parts are readable available and for a very reasonable price.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 8/15/13 at 10:11 PM.
Old 8/16/13, 03:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
oh really? Can you prove this? Please explain...
Yes really. Ford has a TSB out to dealers explaining the process on how to go about looking to see if the computer has been tampered with. In the end the Ford engineers can see it.
Old 8/16/13, 08:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes really. Ford has a TSB out to dealers explaining the process on how to go about looking to see if the computer has been tampered with. In the end the Ford engineers can see it.
Yes, TAMPERED with, but not HOW it was tampered with... We need a real Ford tech in here to clear this up. I've worked with ECM software before for a major engine company, and previous calibration parameters weren't stored, just when/if it was calibrated...
Old 8/16/13, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can tell you from working in Stealerships most of my life that should you have any premature failures that cost in excess of $1,000 or more, that if they can find an excuse to blame something on a modded part, they will.
Altering the Tune leaves a "footprint" that is traceable, they will be able to tell.
Yes, TAMPERED with, but not HOW it was tampered with... We need a real Ford tech in here to clear this up. I've worked with ECM software before for a major engine company, and previous calibration parameters weren't stored, just when/if it was calibrated...
According to KC Henry he's been working for Ford for awhile. Read this.
http://www.themustangnews.com/conten.../#.Ug5REn9-rHs
Old 8/16/13, 10:18 AM
Cobra Member

Gentlemen, one thing that hasn't been talked about is your relationship with your dealers and there service center. If you go to your dealer for more than warranty work then they'll be more willing to help you. I've bought 3 mustangs from the same dealer and while I wouldn't say there my friends they do go out of there way to make sure I'm happy to keep my business and because I think they care a lot about having good customer service. Anyway, to give an example my wifes '08 GT that had a battery that wouldn't keep charge (this at 6k mi) was traced back to the alternator and it was replaced under warranty. This was after we modded the car with tune, intake, cat-back and full suspension. They told us since the tune wasn't the direct cause they were willing to work with us. After a couple years and always getting it serviced at the same dealer we had to take it back again for the same problem (battery not keeping a charge) and a loud squeak coming from the rear (sound was coming form lca). They replaced battery, alternator and lca under warranty. The service manager has always told me to just check with them before hand if I want to know if something I do to the car is going to void the warranty off the bat but he said most common mods they are willing to work with me whether I had it installed there or not.

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 8/16/13 at 10:48 AM.
Old 8/16/13, 10:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
those dealership who sell lot of mustangs have the feel of it, unfortunately i bought mine from a dealer who sells very few... would have been better if i purchased from some other place where they see lot of moded stangs... whn my dealer opend up my hood n saw the CAI.. he was like wow.. wow .. no no.... as if i already broke all the warranty clause
Old 8/16/13, 11:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

According to KC Henry he's been working for Ford for awhile. Read this.
http://www.themustangnews.com/conten.../#.Ug5REn9-rHs
that still doesn't answer the question... I've seen that tsb before
Old 8/16/13, 11:46 AM
V6 Member

that still doesn't answer the question... I've seen that tsb before
Freeze Frame Date is one of the "tattle tale" signs that you use to find the required info.

"If aftermarket power/torque-increasing modifications are suspected, care should be taken to record and store the following items: Permanent diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), pending DTCs,freeze frame data, mode 6 and mode 9 data. The data should be printed and attached to the repair drivability issues, DTCs and possibly component order for later reference"

Here is the actual Ford TSB: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...1-07-07-1-.pdf
Old 8/16/13, 01:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

freeze frame data is typically data readings from sensors that were recorded during a failed diagnostic check. The freeze frame data, or ANY data in the ecm will tell what specific parameters were changed or whether it was an FRPP tune, custom tune, or factory tune? This is what I am wondering. I know it records the fact that the ecm was flashed, but does it record what parameters were changed during the reflash??
Old 8/16/13, 01:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

According to the flow chart the technician is supposed to follow, the tech is supposed to check for a P1000 code, which indicates the ecm has been flashed. A P1000 could log from a disconnected battery. The chart doesn't say to check what the previous calibration was or if that is even possible to check. I'm assuming the P1000 is impossible to clear from the ecm?

Quick Reply: Just got my 2013 5.0