5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

GT 500 axlebacks vs Roush axlebacks

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/11, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robdis,

Thanks for the heads up! Was it under the for sale or wanted? I would definately trade and even include a bit of money through paypal. The GT 500s are good just not as loud as I wanted them to be.
Old 10/21/11, 08:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roelito78
Well,

I installed the GT500s and I think they are a bit quiet for my liking. Definately sound better than stock but I need them to be louder. Looks like my GT 500s will go on sale on ebay. I have not removed the resonators and I am not sure if they would be any louder if resonators are removed.
As someone else mentioned, are you listening to them in the car or outside the car? The sound deadening went UP in the 2010+ Mustangs.

Did you drive for 30 minutes on the highway with them?
Old 10/21/11, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Tony,

I listened to them in and out of the car. I did drive on the highway, I just need something a bit louder. Going with the Roush! I will trade or just sell them.
Old 10/21/11, 08:14 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my roush! it looks like we have the same car with options
Old 10/21/11, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Tony,

I listened to them in and out of the car. I did drive on the highway, I just need something a bit louder. Going with the Roush! I will trade or just sell them.
Good luck!
Old 10/22/11, 07:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robdis,

Thanks for the heads up! Was it under the for sale or wanted? I would definately trade and even include a bit of money through paypal. The GT 500s are good just not as loud as I wanted them to be.
Yeah I just looked for them again and cant find them. They may have been on another site. Sorry.

My GT500's weren't very loud at first either. They do get louder as they break in. Also I think removing the resonators makes more of a difference than you think. I would do 3 things. Remove the resonators, have someone drive the car away from you and listen to how they sound. Then give them at least a month to break in and do the same thing again. Im sure you will notice a difference. My car is noticeably louder now than it was when they were first installed. So much so that someone that heard it the same day and didn't hear it again for a while thought it was a different exhaust. But hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to be happy with your car.

My video is pretty accurate to how the car sounds. A guy literally 5 houses down from me walked down to my house one day to look at my car not because he saw it, but because he heard it when I would leave and come home even though I never drove by his house. He wanted to know what all I had done to the engine to make it sound like that. He was pretty shocked that it was just the mufflers. Thats what made me do the video, and what made me get someone to drive my car around because I didn't think the exhaust was that loud. But when I really sat down and thought about it, it's pretty cool! You don't hear it so much in the car but outside it sounds very good. And go under an overpass or through a tunnel with the windows down and WOW! Not obnoxiously loud but it has an excellent tone. I like the Roush exhaust to though. But I live around some older folks so I have to keep mine from waking the neighbors. LOL

On another note, another one of my neighbors that lives on the street behind mine said she can hear when I leave my house and come home as well. So the exhaust may seem quiet but the sound apparently carries pretty well. Just something for you to think about.
Old 10/22/11, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Robdis,

So you removed your resonators? If you did did the sound become raspy? Any crackle? From a scale of 1-10 how much louder did they get? It seems I have to step on the gas hard for me to even hear them. You got me thinking again.
Old 10/22/11, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Tony,

Tried to tell u could have saved u a bit of time I knew the roush would be right for u! Recommended to alot of buddy's and they were the same as u. Now they love there roush get them install and enjoy!
Old 10/22/11, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Just found a Roush set on craigslist that is 1 week old for 300.00. Is this a deal?
Old 10/22/11, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Just found a Roush set on craigslist that is 1 week old for 300.00. Is this a deal?
Yes get them! Make sure they got e erythi g
Old 10/22/11, 08:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Roelito, I'm sorry to hear they didn't sound the way you were hoping. But, I don't think chopping out the resonators is still going to please you. As others and myself reccommended earlier to you, the roush is more likely to suit you from what you've been posting. Some are saying the gt500s are louder from the outside, well I'm sorry, I didn't pick my exhaust for others to hear, I picked it for me to hear. Where do you live man? I think you should hear some in person.....I'm near Chicago. If you're near by I'd be happy to let you hear mine before you go cutting anything out.
Old 10/22/11, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Hytek,

I am in Texas, you guys were right but at the same time I respect the folks that enjoy the 500s. I guess it depends on the needs and wants of many. I just feel that a mustang should sound mean not obnoxious nerve wrecking mean just clean mean. This is my first Stang at the age of 33 so I want to hear the power! Now dont take me wrong, I am not big on drone and rattling but I feel the Roush might just be perfect.
Old 10/22/11, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Hytek,

I am in Texas, you guys were right but at the same time I respect the folks that enjoy the 500s. I guess it depends on the needs and wants of many. I just feel that a mustang should sound mean not obnoxious nerve wrecking mean just clean mean. This is my first Stang at the age of 33 so I want to hear the power! Now dont take me wrong, I am not big on drone and rattling but I feel the Roush might just be perfect.
No doubt u will love them. I will try to make video of my roush setup after headers and o/r xpipe!
Old 10/22/11, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys!
Old 10/22/11, 08:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hytek,

You summed it up pretty good. Roush is clean mean. I'm 30 myself, so I'm done with being obnoxiously loud. What's funny is, when I thought I was going to change mine out for a different set up my fiancée said no. And that wasn't a no I can't, it was no because she liked the Roush's....go figure. My old 02 with Flowmasters and x pipe droned horribly and was loud. There's a lot of members from TX here, there's gotta be one near you.
Old 10/22/11, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Well,

I installed the GT500s and I think they are a bit quiet for my liking. Definately sound better than stock but I need them to be louder. Looks like my GT 500s will go on sale on ebay. I have not removed the resonators and I am not sure if they would be any louder if resonators are removed.
You didn't even give them time to break in. After a several heat cycles mine actually got a little louder. Once I deleated the resonators, I really like them and they are loud enought for me now. I can be heard a couple blocks away according to my wife.

Last edited by fake; 10/22/11 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10/22/11, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Robdis,

So you removed your resonators? If you did did the sound become raspy? Any crackle? From a scale of 1-10 how much louder did they get? It seems I have to step on the gas hard for me to even hear them. You got me thinking again.
Go back and read page 4. I describe everything you just asked.

With the resonators deleated, you get a nice burble sound when down shifting and slowing down.

If you think the Roush will work, good luck brother. I wanted the Roush at one point also. FYI, I have also read posts where guys sold their roush because it was way to loud and ended up getting the GT500's. I guess it's all in your preference. You can't go wrong with either of the two exhausts.

Last edited by fake; 10/22/11 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10/22/11, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Fake,

I figured I try both since I ran across a good deal on the Roush. It took me 25 min on the install of the GT500s so is not to bad. You may he right, the Roush may be too loud for my taste but the 500s are just a bit louder than stock. I also know about the break in period but how much louder can a muffler get after break in? I am keeping the 500s just in case but I have a feeling that the Roush is what Im looking for. With the GT500s I have to hammer the accelarator just to hear the exhaust. I want to hear it on normal takeoff without having to punch it ti be able to hear it. Thanks for all the info!
Old 10/22/11, 05:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fake,

I figured I try both since I ran across a good deal on the Roush. It took me 25 min on the install of the GT500s so is not to bad. You may he right, the Roush may be too loud for my taste but the 500s are just a bit louder than stock. I also know about the break in period but how much louder can a muffler get after break in? I am keeping the 500s just in case but I have a feeling that the Roush is what Im looking for. With the GT500s I have to hammer the accelarator just to hear the exhaust. I want to hear it on normal takeoff without having to punch it ti be able to hear it. Thanks for all the info!
I would jump on those Roush mufflers for that price. Just to have and hear a different set. The good thing about either one is that they are so popular you can sell the set you decide you don't want and shouldn't lose too much money on the deal. And the time and ease of installation makes it a win win as well.

Its all about personal preference. I bought the GT500's because I found mine on craigslist that had been taken off a Shelby at 150 miles. Price wise they were a little better from the online shops as well than the Roush's. But if I had found the Roush's on craigslist for a better price than I could have gotten online I would have bought those instead. They are both great inexpensive exhaust mods for our cars. Go with your gut man, get the Roush's and see which one you like better.
Old 10/22/11, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Robert,

I agree, it does not hurt to try them both!

Quick Reply: GT 500 axlebacks vs Roush axlebacks