5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

GT 500 axlebacks vs Roush axlebacks

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/11, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roelito78
How much louder are the GT 500s without the resonators? This can be another option for me. Anyone know?

5.0 with just GT500's: Not loud, but good for a daily driver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD58WGi6mMo

Here is RobDis's video again
GT500's with resonators deleated: Loud enough for people to hear you coming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxL-s...el_video_title

Roush exhaust: Loud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eINYYrfQys

Roush:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk138...eature=related

Last edited by fake; 10/20/11 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10/20/11, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Hytek

I've heard its a little too much with o/r x and Roushs....how do you like yours?
I love it. No drone. Cold starts get a little loud but it's not as loud as u think. I've defiantly heard louder lol
Old 10/20/11, 08:36 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by fake
Yes, install your GT500's and go to a muffler shop. The resonators are located just forward of the rear axle. They do not effect emissions at all. The resonators are actually straight pipe, but look like a cheese grator. All resonators are good for, is to quiet down exhaust.

My GT500's with the resonators sound like old school flowmaster 40's but without the drone. It's a louder, deep sound. It does not have the raspy sound you will get at WOT with the Roush.
Fake... and RobDis... so here's a question for you guys. The purpose of resonators is not only to quiet down exhaust but also to eliminate drone, correct? So.... I am worried that removing the resonators (since it's PERMANENT) will now cause drone with the GT500 ab's. Can you either or both of you confirm that you do NOT have any drone on your GT500's with no resonators??? (and you have no other exhaust mod, correct?)
Old 10/20/11, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Fake... and RobDis... so here's a question for you guys. The purpose of resonators is not only to quiet down exhaust but also to eliminate drone, correct? So.... I am worried that removing the resonators (since it's PERMANENT) will now cause drone with the GT500 ab's. Can you either or both of you confirm that you do NOT have any drone on your GT500's with no resonators??? (and you have no other exhaust mod, correct?)
No drone brother. Resonators just help quiet the stock system down. No other exhaust mods. Just keep your resonators after they are cut out. You can always have a shop re-weld them back in at a later date. I kept mine incase I ever swap out for a louder exhaust in the future.

" Exhaust resonators are usually add-on features in exhaust systems. They are placed together with the mufflers along the exhaust pipe and work primarily to decrease exhaust noise. The exhaust noise passes through the resonating chamber, which in turn tunes the sound to cause destructive interference in order to be canceled out by the opposite sound waves."

Last edited by fake; 10/20/11 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10/20/11, 09:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DBSaints

I love it. No drone. Cold starts get a little loud but it's not as loud as u think. I've defiantly heard louder lol
I've wanted an o/r x for a while but been afraid it'd be too raspy with my Roush's. I forget which video on youtube I saw but it sounded horrible. You have a vid?
Old 10/20/11, 11:56 AM

I've wanted an o/r x for a while but been afraid it'd be too raspy with my Roush's. I forget which video on youtube I saw but it sounded horrible. You have a vid?
No I don't. I need to make one. If ur worried about it being too loud then go with a chambered muffler. Should be just right for u. But even with my setup it pretty quiet at cruising speeds in the cab. Cold start and wot are a different story lol
Old 10/20/11, 11:57 AM

Also, I don't have the correct equipment to make an accurate video plus most people listen to them through laptop speakers and they in no way give an accurate sound. Best way is to listen in person.
Old 10/20/11, 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Also, I don't have the correct equipment to make an accurate video plus most people listen to them through laptop speakers and they in no way give an accurate sound. Best way is to listen in person.
I concur good buddy!
Old 10/20/11, 03:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Love the sound of the GT500's....it's the LOOK of those tips I'm having a hard time selling to myself! Wish they had a 4" Rolled/slant like the Hushpowers!
Old 10/20/11, 03:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

No I don't. I need to make one. If ur worried about it being too loud then go with a chambered muffler. Should be just right for u. But even with my setup it pretty quiet at cruising speeds in the cab. Cold start and wot are a different story lol
That's what I was thinking. I like the lethal performance o/r x. If I do that I'll probably swap the Roush's for the gt500s.

You know a quick blip to the throttle will bring the rpm's down so your cold start idle isn't so harsh.
Old 10/20/11, 03:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Uin2it
Love the sound of the GT500's....it's the LOOK of those tips I'm having a hard time selling to myself! Wish they had a 4" Rolled/slant like the Hushpowers!
Roush square tips for the win!

Old 10/20/11, 04:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26

Roush square tips for the win!
Nice! I wish I would've went that route but I liked the round ones better @ that time. Once I saw them in person I was kicking myself. Where in IL?
Old 10/20/11, 04:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
I have experienced 0 drone, none whatsoever. Now my definition of drone and others may be different. My F150 going uphill with flowmasters would produce drone that could be felt as well as heard. But only when under load in a low gear. I get none of that with the Mustang and the GT500's. Cruising in 6th gear at 2000 rpms sounds like a stock exhaust. Through the RPM range in the lower gear you hear the exhaust but thats mostly a sound you want to hear and its not droning because its increasing until you hit cruising speed. Even in lower gears at around 3000 rpms the sound is still very tame. But like one of the previous posters mentioned, the sound outside the car is way different. Especially behind the car.
Old 10/20/11, 05:41 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by fake
No drone brother. Resonators just help quiet the stock system down. No other exhaust mods. Just keep your resonators after they are cut out. You can always have a shop re-weld them back in at a later date. I kept mine incase I ever swap out for a louder exhaust in the future.

" Exhaust resonators are usually add-on features in exhaust systems. They are placed together with the mufflers along the exhaust pipe and work primarily to decrease exhaust noise. The exhaust noise passes through the resonating chamber, which in turn tunes the sound to cause destructive interference in order to be canceled out by the opposite sound waves."
Originally Posted by RobDis
I have experienced 0 drone, none whatsoever. Now my definition of drone and others may be different. My F150 going uphill with flowmasters would produce drone that could be felt as well as heard. But only when under load in a low gear. I get none of that with the Mustang and the GT500's. Cruising in 6th gear at 2000 rpms sounds like a stock exhaust. Through the RPM range in the lower gear you hear the exhaust but thats mostly a sound you want to hear and its not droning because its increasing until you hit cruising speed. Even in lower gears at around 3000 rpms the sound is still very tame. But like one of the previous posters mentioned, the sound outside the car is way different. Especially behind the car.
This is GREAT to hear guys. I might go this route. I not only love the way the GT500 sounds, but also the way it LOOKS. Those single walled 4" tips look so much more aggressive than the puny stock ones (though rolled). So no drone what so ever. Deleting the resonators simply add to the throaty growl of the GT500's.

I now just need to find a good exhaust shop. Is the job pretty simple? Hopefully they don't fubar the resonator removal and the welding of the straight pipe. What material did you guys select for the pipe that replaces the resonators?

BTW, Fake, I just LOVE this vid of yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BK9XtNzTrk&feature=youtu.be
Old 10/20/11, 05:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Seems like I might just keep the GT 500s and delete the resonators. Hooefully the sound pitch doesnt change much. I dont like raspy sounds on exhaust
Old 10/20/11, 06:08 PM
I Have No Life

Not to add to the forray, but..... I kindda like the SLP Loudmouths too... any issue on drone on these babies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqSsg...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YP1y...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAqLM...eature=related
Old 10/20/11, 07:49 PM
Cobra Member

Nice! I wish I would've went that route but I liked the round ones better @ that time. Once I saw them in person I was kicking myself. Where in IL?
I'm outside Chicago in the Darien/Downers Grove area
Old 10/20/11, 08:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26

I'm outside Chicago in the Darien/Downers Grove area
Cool. I work in Woodridge.
Old 10/21/11, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Well,

I installed the GT500s and I think they are a bit quiet for my liking. Definately sound better than stock but I need them to be louder. Looks like my GT 500s will go on sale on ebay. I have not removed the resonators and I am not sure if they would be any louder if resonators are removed.
Old 10/21/11, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Roelito78
Well,

I installed the GT500s and I think they are a bit quiet for my liking. Definately sound better than stock but I need them to be louder. Looks like my GT 500s will go on sale on ebay. I have not removed the resonators and I am not sure if they would be any louder if resonators are removed.
Sorry to hear that. There was an individual in the For Sale/Wanted section that wanted to trade for some Roush axlebacks not too long ago. They may still be there.

Quick Reply: GT 500 axlebacks vs Roush axlebacks