5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

GT 500 axlebacks vs Roush axlebacks

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/11, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobDis

Hey Bmeline, We have a little meet every thursday night at O'Charleys in Lafayette. I know that's a little far from Raceland but if you feel like taking a little road trip on a Thursday evening it's pretty cool. Its hosted by Acadiana Stangs but there are usually other cars there to. Its a good mix, more mustangs than the others, a few of them are pretty bad***. We usually get there around 7:30 PM, we get a little discount on food. Im usually there every other Thursday due to work. Ill be there next thursday for sure.

We are also having a "Show and Shine" on the 12th of November in Lafayette. They havent messaged me the location or the details yet though. So far there is only me and one other 5.0 there. Need some backup with all these Terminators sitting around! LOL

Anyone else that is close and feels like making a little road trip can message me and I will explain the details or dive directions.
Well I won't be home for the 12th will be offshore. I leave Monday at 9am and will be back on the 21st so maybe that Thursday I may check it out thanks for the invite.
Old 11/4/11, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bmeline916
Well I won't be home for the 12th will be offshore. I leave Monday at 9am and will be back on the 21st so maybe that Thursday I may check it out thanks for the invite.
Good deal. Yeah I work 7 and 7. I dont know if they will have the meet on the 24th or not. That's thanksgiving. But they might. Ill have to find out next week.
Old 11/4/11, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Good deal. Yeah I work 7 and 7. I dont know if they will have the meet on the 24th or not. That's thanksgiving. But they might. Ill have to find out next week.
Cool keep me updated on what's going on want to check it out.
Old 11/8/11, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here are a couple I made today. Two of them were the wife driving my car and the last was from this evening with a slow accelaration.

GT500's with Resonator Delete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jum3J..._order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ4PSPw3NJs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WowxB...der&playnext=2

Last edited by 05-1947; 11/8/11 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11/8/11, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05-1947
Here are a couple I made today. Two of them were the wife driving my car and the last was from this evening with a slow accelaration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DrRu...der&playnext=1

These videos really show the GT500 sound outside the car. I can hear a difference in mine and these. That could be from either the Mic on the camera or possibly other mods that have been done like a CAI. Makes me wonder.
Old 11/8/11, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

These videos really show the GT500 sound outside the car. I can hear a difference in mine and these. That could be from either the Mic on the camera or possibly other mods that have been done like a CAI. Makes me wonder.

The driving vids next to the car are filmed with my Palm Pre, and the slow accel vid was shot with my flip vid hd camera. The car is stock minus the mufflers/deletes.

edit: fixed the 2nd vid

Last edited by 05-1947; 11/8/11 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11/8/11, 07:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe on the GT500 they are, but for some reason on the 5.0 they are much louder than they are on the Shelby. I drove a 2011 Shelby and it wasnt a whole lot louder than my car was stock. I guess because the Shelby has an X-pipe, not sure.
The 2011 models have an H-pipe.
Old 11/8/11, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

The driving vids next to the car are filmed with my Palm Pre, and the slow accel vid was shot with my flip vid hd camera. The car is stock minus the mufflers/deletes.

edit: fixed the 2nd vid
Its got to be the mic then on the camera/palm. For some reason yours sounds a little louder than mine. Im gonna get a few more videos this week!
Old 11/8/11, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Its got to be the mic then on the camera/palm. For some reason yours sounds a little louder than mine. Im gonna get a few more videos this week!
BTW, your vid is what convinced me to do mine. The sound is great!
Old 11/8/11, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

BTW, your vid is what convinced me to do mine. The sound is great!
I'm glad I was able to help. The hardest part is when you do a mod like this and make a few changes, you want to change other things to see if you can improve it, but the bad part is you might not like the change after it's done. But this time when I'm home I'm going to see if I can find a custom exhaust shop to do a all 2.75" H-Pipe with no restriction and see if I can deepen the sound and improve throttle response. That's basically what the Hearthrob system is aft of the cats but before the axlebacks.

I might be able to save a little money and try something different. It should be a good change if it changes at all. And if the sound doesn't change but the throttle response gets better then that's perfect.
Old 11/8/11, 09:34 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ4PSPw3NJs

Those sound good! So you just took the car to an exhaust shop and had them delete the resonators by cutting them out then welding straight stainless pipes of the same diameter? Did you keep the res's just in case?

And lastly, how's drone? Absent?
Old 11/9/11, 04:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Those sound good! So you just took the car to an exhaust shop and had them delete the resonators by cutting them out then welding straight stainless pipes of the same diameter? Did you keep the res's just in case?

And lastly, how's drone? Absent?
Yes, they cut out and welded a straight pipe in its place. Yep, they boxed of the Resonators for me, and last there is no drone. It is definately more audible inside, but no drone.
Old 11/9/11, 06:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Think I will be doing this tomorrow morning
thanks for the vids!
Old 11/9/11, 06:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Uin2it
Think I will be doing this tomorrow morning
thanks for the vids!
Glad I could help. I figured that it needed to be heard under load and normal driving conditions.
Old 11/9/11, 08:01 AM
I Have No Life

Yes, they cut out and welded a straight pipe in its place. Yep, they boxed of the Resonators for me, and last there is no drone. It is definately more audible inside, but no drone.
How long did process take and how much did they charge? I know it will be different store to store, but just wanted to get an idea. Did they have to remove the entire exhaust to do the whole process? or just do it on car? Also, did you ask them to use stainless and not galvanized?

Glad I could help. I figured that it needed to be heard under load and normal driving conditions.
Another thing I was curious about....... on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being loudest, where would the GT500's with/without res's fall? I am interested in what you think how loud it got AFTER you deleted the res's, compared to when just GT500's...
Old 11/9/11, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

How long did process take and how much did they charge? I know it will be different store to store, but just wanted to get an idea. Did they have to remove the entire exhaust to do the whole process? or just do it on car? Also, did you ask them to use stainless and not galvanized?

Another thing I was curious about....... on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being loudest, where would the GT500's with/without res's fall? I am interested in what you think how loud it got AFTER you deleted the res's, compared to when just GT500's...
They cut the resonators off while on the car, 20 minutes, $40 and no I really didn't care about the stainless. I will only have the car for 2yrs, and they wanted double to install this. It may not look pretty, but I am never going to look at it.

The best way that I can explain the change in sound it: The same sound/volume increase received from stock - GT500 muffler is realized when going from GT500 - GT500 w/resonator delete.

IMO, the car is about a 5-6 on a sound level. It is not LOUD by any means, but deep/aggressive throughout the rpm range.
Old 11/9/11, 09:39 AM
I Have No Life

They cut the resonators off while on the car, 20 minutes, $40 and no I really didn't care about the stainless. I will only have the car for 2yrs, and they wanted double to install this. It may not look pretty, but I am never going to look at it.

The best way that I can explain the change in sound it: The same sound/volume increase received from stock - GT500 muffler is realized when going from GT500 - GT500 w/resonator delete.

IMO, the car is about a 5-6 on a sound level. It is not LOUD by any means, but deep/aggressive throughout the rpm range.
Thank you a ton. This explains it perfectly. Yeah, I hear ya on the stainless part. So would be 80 bucks eh. And they cut and welded pipes while on car huh? I figured it'd be dangerous to do welds that close to underside of car? But heck what do I know

So yeah.... I think my best recourse is to slap on the gt500's, and see how I like em.... then proceed to do res delete if need be.

Your videos show what real world sound will be! Thanks for that... although, I was wondering if you had another vid of you just start/rev/rev/take off? Call me old school, but I still love those types of vids.
Old 11/9/11, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you a ton. This explains it perfectly. Yeah, I hear ya on the stainless part. So would be 80 bucks eh. And they cut and welded pipes while on car huh? I figured it'd be dangerous to do welds that close to underside of car? But heck what do I know

So yeah.... I think my best recourse is to slap on the gt500's, and see how I like em.... then proceed to do res delete if need be.

Your videos show what real world sound will be! Thanks for that... although, I was wondering if you had another vid of you just start/rev/rev/take off? Call me old school, but I still love those types of vids.
The gt500's definately got a little more throaty after a a few weeks, but it just wasn't enough. Now I can hear the exhaust with the windows up!
Old 11/9/11, 12:21 PM
I Have No Life

The gt500's definately got a little more throaty after a a few weeks, but it just wasn't enough. Now I can hear the exhaust with the windows up!
yeah they say it needs time to break in. I fear I might be like you and other who have said that just gt500's with res, is not going to cut it anymore
Old 11/9/11, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeah they say it needs time to break in. I fear I might be like you and other who have said that just gt500's with res, is not going to cut it anymore
It is still a very mild set up, but yes start with just the mufflers.

Quick Reply: GT 500 axlebacks vs Roush axlebacks