5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

GT 500 axlebacks vs Roush axlebacks

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/11, 08:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Roush and love them but they are a bit loud. They take some getting used to but man do they sound good! I haven't had any complaints from the neighbors but even if I did I wouldn't care. If you are worried about it being too loud you might want to look at the GT500s.
Old 10/16/11, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decisions decisions decisions!
Old 10/16/11, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Roelito78
Hello,

I purchased my first 5.0 Mustang GT this past week and it is time to upgrade the exhaust. I am looking to purchase either the GT 500 or the Roush axlevack systems. I did look into the Hushpower exhaust system but not sure if I will like the loudness. I would like to get a deep, nice sounding exhaust without the drone at driving speeds. I also do not want to wake up the neighbors everytime I start the car. Basically put, I want my car to sound tough but without too much racket. Would you guys recommend the GT 500s or the Roush? Hushpower maybe? Thanks guys for your advise in advance! Glad to be a first time Mustang owner. Time to have fun!
Seriously!? THe Hushpowers are quieter than the ROUSH AB's and deeper/more mellow than the GT500's. THe GT500's seem like a real open sound, where the Hushpowers are a lot deeper.

My vote is the Hushpowers over any of the other two for what you are looking for. Have you heard any of them in person? The GT500's are a great choice for the price though. if you can, try to find a used set. I got my hands on a set from a guy who sent his car to Shelby to have it SuperSnaked. Im not so sure I will go with them though. Might save up the money and get teh Hushpowers.

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 10/16/11 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10/16/11, 09:21 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Anyone here have the gt500s installed and can say that they are still considerably louder than stock (in a good way of course) but not to level of loudness of roush? Now I am worried gt500s are tooooo quiet.
I have the GT500s and they're perfect in my opinion. Just loud enough with the rumble I wanted. Quiet when I'm cruising on the highway and great sound when I'm getting on it. No drone.

I actually removed my sound tube because all I wanted to hear was my exhaust.
Old 10/16/11, 09:35 AM

If you're in your forties get the GT500. Thirties, get Roush. Twenties, just cut them off.
Old 10/16/11, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I thought the hushpowers were louder! Hmmm, another option for us. Might have to check them out
Old 10/16/11, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Otter I am 33! Roush? Hushpowers?
Old 10/16/11, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Stangpilot,

The Roush were my first choice even before I purchased the car. I did go in youtube but every clip sounds different due to microphone and camera differences. I heard a few of the Roush clips and they appeared really loud. I like to hear my exhaust very little inside the cab. In other words no drone while at cruisin speeds. Man o man tough deciosion to make!
I'll be honest with u have two friends that went gt500 AB's they both took them off and sold them when they heard my roush in person! They both now have roush and are 110% happier with there exhaust tone. If u want slightly louder than stock go gt500 but the vibe I get from ur post is u want a in the middle tone this is the roush. Note that they get alil loud at WOT but what great sounding exhaust dosen't! This is my opinion
Old 10/16/11, 10:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangpilot007
If you're afraid of those reasons you're right, the GT500's aren't going to be a big difference over stock the way the Roush's are. Check the link to the 2011-2012 5.0 in my signature, to me the Roush's sound miles better than the GT500's. Different people have different tastes however, but I think the Roush axleback suits your preferences more.
I agree, it sounds like the Roush is your better choice. Don't worry about the loudness, you'll learn to control it...I did and I live in a townhouse where my neighbors are almost right above my garage. Think of it like playing an electric guitar, you can wake your neighbors if you really want to, or you can be responsible with it and play sweet music all night long. Just remember, they're loud at WOT, are you going to be WOT all the time....probably not. Search for a good deal, if your not happy at least you won't be at a huge loss selling them. BlueOvalIndustries on Ebay seems to have the best price @ $369.95 with $25 shipping. AM and the rest appear to have raised their prices to $499. Blue Oval is good, I've ordered some things from them and their shipping is fast. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy with either one you go with.
Old 10/16/11, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Bmeline,

You are correct on your comments! Im looking for a semi agressive tone. After all it is a muscle car and not a honda! I have heard that a loud exhaust with drone gets old after a while. My biggest fear is buying an exhaust that is too loud or not loud enough. Roush sounds like a great choice. The hushpowers have good reviews also but not as good as the Roush.
Old 10/16/11, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're interested in the Roush axle backs, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do on price for you. I'm an authorized Roush dealer.
Old 10/16/11, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Hytek,

Thanks for the advise! I did see them on ebay and I think everyone else has raised the prices due to the high demand which makes me believe they are good. The hushpowers sound good on you tube but I hear better things about the Roush. Plus, Roush is afiliated with Ford. I am having a blast with my new Pony!
Old 10/16/11, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hytek,

Thanks for the advise! I did see them on ebay and I think everyone else has raised the prices due to the high demand which makes me believe they are good. The hushpowers sound good on you tube but I hear better things about the Roush. Plus, Roush is afiliated with Ford. I am having a blast with my new Pony!
Prices have gone up because as of October 12, 2011 Roush has started a new MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) policy. Although the idea is to level the playing field for smaller retailers like myself it also prevents me from publicly offering a lower price - which is why I asked for anyone interested in a price quote on the Roush axle backs to PM me.

Hope that helps,

Steve
Old 10/16/11, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Bmeline,

You are correct on your comments! Im looking for a semi agressive tone. After all it is a muscle car and not a honda! I have heard that a loud exhaust with drone gets old after a while. My biggest fear is buying an exhaust that is too loud or not loud enough. Roush sounds like a great choice. The hushpowers have good reviews also but not as good as the Roush.
Like I said u will love the roush no doubt !
Old 10/16/11, 03:29 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the hush power have a good amount of drone
Old 10/16/11, 04:15 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by jrs817
I have the GT500s and they're perfect in my opinion. Just loud enough with the rumble I wanted. Quiet when I'm cruising on the highway and great sound when I'm getting on it. No drone.

I actually removed my sound tube because all I wanted to hear was my exhaust.
This is good to hear. I have the GT500s sitting in my garage waiting... and I was just wondering if I made the right choice. I listened to the Roush's again online, and I just think they're too "wide open" imo... just seems too drag car like/etc. My wife actually said, "That sounds like it's going to stall"... lol. But anyways, that's why I went with the GT500.

Can you please elaborate on removing the "sound tube"?
Old 10/16/11, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've got the roush and my dad has the gt500 . . . roush are much louder and I think they were 11 lbs less each side. It's crazy the difference, you can see right through the roush.
Old 10/18/11, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I was going to sell my GT500's because I wanted louder. I had my resonators cut out and now I love the GT500's. They remind me of the old Flowmaster 40 series without the drone. My GT500's are loud enough now where my wife can hear me a few blocks away and I have no drone.
Old 10/18/11, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, I ordered the GT 500s! After doing reasearch for a week I chose the 500s. I hope I am not dissapointed. My decision was based solely on opinions and loudness factor. Many stores are sold out of the GT500s so that can be a good sign. Also, 269.00 shipped frim AM was a bargain. Cant wait to get them in and install them! I will try them out and see what happens. Thanks guys!
Old 10/18/11, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I had gt500s on my '05... Way too quiet for my taste

Quick Reply: GT 500 axlebacks vs Roush axlebacks