5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

GT 500 axlebacks vs Roush axlebacks

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/11, 07:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Volume is one thing but TONE is the way I evaluate an exhaust system. People have many differing opinions about what's loud, but the pitch is something that speaks "muscle", especially as it goes down.

If your car is a daily driver, you most likely will appreciate less volume when cruising. I've heard both systems and personally find the GT500 mufflers ideal for a daily driver.

And I also believe you really need to hear the systems in person outside and inside the car before sealing the deal.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10/19/11, 07:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Roelito78;6163409]You shelby guys are lucky to have the snake! Those are some beautiful cars no doubt. How much better is the cobra with the Roush? I also hear that the GT 500s sound different in the Shelbys? True the 5.0 and shelbys have a different firing order
Old 10/19/11, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Tony! My car will be somewhat of a daily driver. I will alternate with my 79 ford f150. Now you made me think again. So from what I have gathered Daily driver=GT 500 Non daily driver= Roush? Interesting, I wish I could hear them both in person.
Old 10/19/11, 08:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roelito78
Thanks Tony! My car will be somewhat of a daily driver. I will alternate with my 79 ford f150. Now you made me think again. So from what I have gathered Daily driver=GT 500 Non daily driver= Roush? Interesting, I wish I could hear them both in person.
My opinion is worth about a half-penny I suspect others might say "Roush, daily driver, no problem". I think it really depends on your level of tolerance to volume.

I still like hearing TONE, deep tone. Again, that is individual preference.
Old 10/19/11, 08:11 PM
V6 Member

making the same decision. worried gt500s will be too quiet, but roush will be too loud...
Old 10/19/11, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Well Tony,

Im looking for deep tone, no drone and old muscle car sound. Not sure if this makes sense or if I can get all three qualities. My car is fairly new and I dont want it to sound like an old rust bucket. Or a rice burner either! Lol
Old 10/19/11, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Secondhandloser,

I hear you on that one!
Old 10/19/11, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Well Tony,

Im looking for deep tone, no drone and old muscle car sound. Not sure if this makes sense or if I can get all three qualities. My car is fairly new and I dont want it to sound like an old rust bucket. Or a rice burner either! Lol
My car is a daily driver and there is no problems at all. The roush have no drone at cruising speeds what so ever! My honest opinion you will regret it if u keep the gt 500's! This is a mustang not a Honda civic! Seriously the roush are not loud like ur thinking they are right in the middle. I just don't want u too make a decision u will regret. Trust me pull the trigger and get the roush. They are what ur looking for. U are driving a high performance sports car u should have the sound of one
Old 10/19/11, 08:42 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by fake
To cut the resonators out and replace with straight pipe, cost me $50.00.

RobDis has the best video of his car with GT500's and resonators deleated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxL-s...el_video_title

Here is my car with no resonators and GT500's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BK9X...ature=youtu.be
Fake, thank you for your vid. That was awesome. I definitely love that sound without resonators.

Can I ask how you went about doing this? So I install the gt500's ab's myself, then just take the car to an exhaust shop and have them cut out the resonators and weld straight pipes? Are resonators located on gt500's themselves? Forgive me if this is common knowledge.
Old 10/19/11, 09:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Fake, thank you for your vid. That was awesome. I definitely love that sound without resonators.

Can I ask how you went about doing this? So I install the gt500's ab's myself, then just take the car to an exhaust shop and have them cut out the resonators and weld straight pipes? Are resonators located on gt500's themselves? Forgive me if this is common knowledge.
from--did you already decide you are pulling your resonators?

how is the volume on resonator deleted gt500s vs the roush?
Old 10/19/11, 09:21 PM

U should decide now if ur going to put an offroad mid pipe or not. If not then go roush. I went o/r with the roush but I like to hear it lol
Old 10/19/11, 10:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DBSaints
U should decide now if ur going to put an offroad mid pipe or not. If not then go roush. I went o/r with the roush but I like to hear it lol
I've heard its a little too much with o/r x and Roushs....how do you like yours?
Old 10/20/11, 07:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my GT500's I got the over the axle pipes with them. I bought mine locally off craigslist from a shelby owner that had put aftermarket on his. I was already toying with the idea of having the resonators removed from the stock exhaust anyway. So I really have no first had experience with hearing the GT500's with the resonators. I know from the videos though that there is a difference in the sound.

More than likely just take the GT500's to an exhaust shop and let them cut your resonators out and they can put the exhaust on for you at the same time. Probably won't cost you that much more. My guy charged me $60 to install mine. Pretty cheap when you factor in that he was done in like 30 minutes. Just avoiding the aggravation factor for me was worth $60! LOL The resonators are located about mid-way on the over the axle pipes. Those are the pipes between the H pipe and the axle backs. The GT500's over the axle pipes are just open pipes.
Old 10/20/11, 07:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RobDis

When I bought my GT500's I got the over the axle pipes with them. I bought mine locally off craigslist from a shelby owner that had put aftermarket on his. I was already toying with the idea of having the resonators removed from the stock exhaust anyway. So I really have no first had experience with hearing the GT500's with the resonators. I know from the videos though that there is a difference in the sound.

More than likely just take the GT500's to an exhaust shop and let them cut your resonators out and they can put the exhaust on for you at the same time. Probably won't cost you that much more. My guy charged me $60 to install mine. Pretty cheap when you factor in that he was done in like 30 minutes. Just avoiding the aggravation factor for me was worth $60! LOL The resonators are located about mid-way on the over the axle pipes. Those are the pipes between the H pipe and the axle backs. The GT500's over the axle pipes are just open pipes.
I wouldn't want anything but stainless for my exhaust system and I know for 60$ u didn't get stainless put back in it was probably galv. Metal pipes right?
Old 10/20/11, 08:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes, install your GT500's and go to a muffler shop. The resonators are located just forward of the rear axle. They do not effect emissions at all. The resonators are actually straight pipe, but look like a cheese grator inside them. All resonators are good for, is to quiet down exhaust.

My GT500's with the resonators sound like old school flowmaster 40's but without the drone. It's a louder, deep sound. It does not have the raspy sound you will get at WOT with the Roush.

Last edited by fake; 10/20/11 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10/20/11, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

How much louder are the GT 500s without the resonators? This can be another option for me. Anyone know?
Old 10/20/11, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Any drone without resonators?
Old 10/20/11, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Secondhandloser
from--did you already decide you are pulling your resonators?

how is the volume on resonator deleted gt500s vs the roush?
With 1 being stock exhaust on a scale from 1-10.

GT500: 3

GT500 with no resonators: 6

Roush: 8

One thing you have to take into consideration. These cars are quiet inside. When you are driving, your exhaust may sound very quiet from inside the cab. Let somebody else driver your car and you stand on the side of the road. I had to do this to really hear what my exhaust would sound like.

Last edited by fake; 10/20/11 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10/20/11, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Any drone without resonators?
None, zero, zip... This is with the GT500's though.

I would only recommend deleating the resonators with GT500's. Deleating the resonators with an exhaust like Roush would be VERY loud.
Old 10/20/11, 08:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bmeline916
I wouldn't want anything but stainless for my exhaust system and I know for 60$ u didn't get stainless put back in it was probably galv. Metal pipes right?
The $60 was just to install the GT500 over axle pipes and axlebacks. I didnt have to have my pipes welded or cut.

Quick Reply: GT 500 axlebacks vs Roush axlebacks