5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

GT 500 axlebacks vs Roush axlebacks

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/11, 09:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fake

5.0 with just GT500's: Not loud, but good for a daily driver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD58WGi6mMo

Here is RobDis's video again
GT500's with resonators deleated: Loud enough for people to hear you coming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxL-s...el_video_title

Roush exhaust: Loud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eINYYrfQys

Roush:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk138...eature=related
Robdis video made my decision easy. I Love the gt500s Without resonators!
Old 11/3/11, 07:29 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by UndercoverCop
Same with me! That's the route I took. Mufflers sitting in garage.

Though the Roush's look nice and probably sound better in person than in vids, they seemed too high pitched for me. The GT500's sound deeper and throatier...like a true muscle car. But to each his own. I respect the owners of the Roush's and the Roush exhaust itself. That's why we are free to choose whichever makes us happy.
Old 11/3/11, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UndercoverCop
Glad that video helped. I think the GT500's are a good choice for those that are planning further exhaust mods later. Going with a offroad H or X-pipe later may not be a huge volume difference with the GT500's. I have been looking at the Heartthrob videos and they got me thinking. The stock H pipe on the 5.0 has some wierd changes in pipe diameter after the Cats. It drops down to 2 1/4" after cats then back up to 2 3/4" just before the H section. Im tempted to see if a nice set of High flow cats (or even just the stock cats) and an all 3" H-pipe all the way back to the over axle pipes might help with a little throttle response. I think it will also make the exhaust louder and possible deepen the tone. I like the volume right now and its nowhere near too loud so a little louder may not hurt anything and deeper tone is always better. This may make drone an issue however. Though, I think possibly some sound deadening material under the carpet in the floorboards and the trunk would knock any drone associated with this setup out. Maybe there is some heat resistant kind that would be safe to put under the body of the car between the pipes and the underside that would help as well.
Old 11/3/11, 07:55 AM
I Have No Life

RobDis, side note... do you have any pics/album of your car? Link me to it please? My Kona is coming and I think same set up.
Old 11/3/11, 09:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
RobDis, side note... do you have any pics/album of your car? Link me to it please? My Kona is coming and I think same set up.
Do you want to see pics of the exhaust install or the exterior pictures? I didn't do any pictures of the exhaust but I have plenty of the outside. PM me your email and I will send you a few of my latest pictures.
Old 11/3/11, 09:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Though the Roush's look nice and probably sound better in person than in vids, they seemed too high pitched for me.
Lol....too high pitched
Old 11/3/11, 10:06 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Hytek

Lol....too high pitched
Yeah I don't get the "to high pitched remark either"...my Roush ABs sound freakin incredible. If people consider it to be high pitched then pigs must be flying around...
Old 11/3/11, 02:11 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Hytek

Lol....too high pitched
Originally Posted by vmilax2007

Yeah I don't get the "to high pitched remark either"...my Roush ABs sound freakin incredible. If people consider it to be high pitched then pigs must be flying around...
What's so hard to understand? LOL. I never said it didn't sound "incredible". I said it sounded more high pitched than the gt500s. If u like it, great! I prefer the gt500s. To each his own. The gt500s sound lower...what I like
Old 11/3/11, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

LOVE my GT500's....gonna do the resonator deletes though. think i will try to see if the exhaust shop can add about two inches to the resonator deletes.....Hopefully that will push the mufflers back a bit so the tips will be flush!

That's my only complaint with these mufflers, the tips don't sit flush with the inside of the diffuser.

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 11/3/11 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11/3/11, 02:53 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by RobDis

Do you want to see pics of the exhaust install or the exterior pictures? I didn't do any pictures of the exhaust but I have plenty of the outside. PM me your email and I will send you a few of my latest pictures.
I just meant the exterior of ur car in general. Just wanted to see a hot looking kona blue car

I.figured u had links on this site?

Originally Posted by Uin2it
LOVE my GT500's....gonna do the resonator deletes though. think i will try to see if the exhaust shop can add about two inches to the resonator deletes.....Hopefully that will push the mufflers back a bit so the tips will be flush!

That's my only complaint with these mufflers, the tips don't sit flush with the inside of the diffuser.
I think they look perfect! That's how they sit in a real gt500 too
Old 11/3/11, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just meant the exterior of ur car in general. Just wanted to see a hot looking kona blue car

I.figured u had links on this site?

I think they look perfect! That's how they sit in a real gt500 too
I have some in my album on my profile if thats what you mean. But it has the pedestal spoiler in the pics and you cant see the rear. I need to get some better pics of all the sides.

https://themustangsource.com/members...-blue-thunder/

If you really want to see Kona Blue in all its glory check out Jeds Mustang here. He really got the Kona to shine in these pictures.

https://themustangsource.com/f786/co...violet-500404/

I think that the tips need to be turned like they are on the corsa mufflers. Then the angled cuts match the way the diffuser is turned. Fills the gaps a little bit better. But I can live with them. I thought about seeing if they could be cut and turned but I dont know if that would change the sound or not. Plus the way the tips are flared you cant just cut them and turn them. The muffler shop would have to cut and weld in new tips that may not be the same quality. Im happy with mine the way they are though. Gonna see if a shop can make me a new H-Pipe that is all 3 inch or 2.75 inch stainless. The aftermarket H-Pipes are like $300 and although thats not a bad price I dont think it should cost that much just to bend and weld a few pieces of tubing. Plus if I can spend the money locally I would rather do that. Fitment would be easier to deal with as well with a local shop. I just looked up prices and I can get 2 sections of stainless steel tubing for $80, 4 feet long. That should be enough. Now I would just need to get it bent, cut and welded. Thats why I dont see the $300 dollar price as being justified, maybe Im wrong though.
Old 11/3/11, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have some in my album on my profile if thats what you mean. But it has the pedestal spoiler in the pics and you cant see the rear. I need to get some better pics of all the sides.

If you really want to see Kona Blue in all its glory check out Jeds Mustang here. He really got the Kona to shine in these pictures.

I think that the tips need to be turned like they are on the corsa mufflers. Then the angled cuts match the way the diffuser is turned. Fills the gaps a little bit better. But I can live with them. I thought about seeing if they could be cut and turned but I dont know if that would change the sound or not. Plus the way the tips are flared you cant just cut them and turn them. The muffler shop would have to cut and weld in new tips that may not be the same quality. Im happy with mine the way they are though. Gonna see if a shop can make me a new H-Pipe that is all 3 inch or 2.75 inch stainless. The aftermarket H-Pipes are like $300 and although thats not a bad price I dont think it should cost that much just to bend and weld a few pieces of tubing. Plus if I can spend the money locally I would rather do that. Fitment would be easier to deal with as well with a local shop. I just looked up prices and I can get 2 sections of stainless steel tubing for $80, 4 feet long. That should be enough. Now I would just need to get it bent, cut and welded. Thats why I dont see the $300 dollar price as being justified, maybe Im wrong though.
JBA has a 3" H-Pipe that tailors down to 2.75" to mate up to the stock axleback size....
its just not on their website.....it's listed on LethalPerformance.com.
I was thinking of doing this as well....but your right it is $298

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 11/3/11 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11/3/11, 07:19 PM
I Have No Life

Rob, nice photos in album man... I think I see tint in your future!
Old 11/3/11, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Uin2it
JBA has a 3" H-Pipe that tailors down to 2.75" to mate up to the stock axleback size....
its just not on their website.....it's listed on LethalPerformance.com.
I was thinking of doing this as well....but your right it is $298

Yeah Im sure some exhaust experts would argue about how intricate it is to bend the stainless steel and the work that goes into developing a good exhaust system but seriously, this has to be the simplest part of the whole exhaust system. And Im sure they get their SS tubing at a signifigantly lower price than I can but they still price the parts like they do. One other thing i was thinking. Why would ford drop the diameter of the piping down to 2 1/4" in that one spot? There has to be a reason. It couldnt be cost. So I wonder if it shapes the sound a certain way? Possibly backpressure? And would eliminating this create any other issues like loss of torque or emissions issues?
Old 11/3/11, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree with all the comments here. The GT 500s have a deeper but lower tone. The Roush have a deep tone as well but are louder than the 500s. The reality is that I did not want to start cutting into my stainless exhaust just to make it louder. With the Roush the problem was solved no cutting and awesome sound. Dont take me wrong, the GT 500s sound good but the sound is too close to factory. My Roush are beginning to sound even better with time. They scream when you get on it but and normal driving speeds they just purrr!
Old 11/3/11, 09:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roelito78
I agree with all the comments here. The GT 500s have a deeper but lower tone. The Roush have a deep tone as well but are louder than the 500s. The reality is that I did not want to start cutting into my stainless exhaust just to make it louder. With the Roush the problem was solved no cutting and awesome sound. Dont take me wrong, the GT 500s sound good but the sound is too close to factory. My Roush are beginning to sound even better with time. They scream when you get on it but and normal driving speeds they just purrr!
Glad to hear you're enjoying them!
Old 11/3/11, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks John! Loving the sound
Old 11/3/11, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the roush and am going o/r x pipe and headers! When I get this done will post a video for all to enjoy! Loud and proud droppin jaws and breakin laws!!
Old 11/4/11, 06:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Roelito78
Well for me I dont necessarily want louder. But if putting in a new H-Pipe will help throttle response by reducing restriction then thats what Im looking for. I love the sound of the Roush and seriously considered getting them before I found my GT500's. But mine are about as loud as I want them to be. They claim that they are 50 state legal but I seriously doubt that. Maybe on the GT500 they are, but for some reason on the 5.0 they are much louder than they are on the Shelby. I drove a 2011 Shelby and it wasnt a whole lot louder than my car was stock. I guess because the Shelby has an X-pipe, not sure.

This modding thing with these cars is addicting though, I keep thinking of things I can do to make the car better! I was thinking of going with an offroad H-Pipe at first but after hearing one on Youtube I think that would be too loud. I have heard first hand of several people getting stopped for loud exhaust in my town and I really dont want to get into that with the local cops. Plus I get compliments all the time on the sound of the car the way it is. Now I want to see if I can increase the ponies a little bit in the process. Heartthrob got 22 ponies on their dyno by replacing the H-Pipe and removing the resonators. Granted they were using their mufflers. But it shows what can be done by removing restriction and opening up the exhaust.
Old 11/4/11, 06:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bmeline916
I have the roush and am going o/r x pipe and headers! When I get this done will post a video for all to enjoy! Loud and proud droppin jaws and breakin laws!!
Hey Bmeline, We have a little meet every thursday night at O'Charleys in Lafayette. I know that's a little far from Raceland but if you feel like taking a little road trip on a Thursday evening it's pretty cool. Its hosted by Acadiana Stangs but there are usually other cars there to. Its a good mix, more mustangs than the others, a few of them are pretty bad***. We usually get there around 7:30 PM, we get a little discount on food. Im usually there every other Thursday due to work. Ill be there next thursday for sure.

We are also having a "Show and Shine" on the 12th of November in Lafayette. They havent messaged me the location or the details yet though. So far there is only me and one other 5.0 there. Need some backup with all these Terminators sitting around! LOL

Anyone else that is close and feels like making a little road trip can message me and I will explain the details or dive directions.

Quick Reply: GT 500 axlebacks vs Roush axlebacks