5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Cam tune (my review)

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/12, 06:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol...I did a couple cam changes on my 98. I don't know how many more times I would want to tackle that. So much stuff to remove its unreal. And Danielle, car looks great
Old 9/12/12, 01:03 PM
Banned

Not sure if it is the tune or the intake, but the car surges like a **** when it's cold. It does this on the cam tune and the standard tune. That being said, Bama is supposed to be sending me a revised tune at some point this week, as the lope is horribly inconsistent - and at idle it seems more like its surging or hunting for an idle than actually finding it.
Old 9/12/12, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Not sure if it is the tune or the intake, but the car surges like a **** when it's cold. It does this on the cam tune and the standard tune. That being said, Bama is supposed to be sending me a revised tune at some point this week, as the lope is horribly inconsistent - and at idle it seems more like its surging or hunting for an idle than actually finding it.
People say the JLT intake is to blame for the surging.
I have the JLT intake as well and experience the surging, but ONLY with the bama tune, I've tried tunes from 2 other tuners and there is no surging with the JLT.
I've convinced the tune is to blame but I'm not positive.
I just deal with it because the bama tune makes the most power under WOT.
Also it only surges under part throttle, not WOT.
Old 9/12/12, 07:48 PM
Banned

one thing I am already disliking that I'm learning is that there are serious downsides no matter who you go with, it seems.
Old 9/13/12, 07:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
We have tested our cam idle tune along with our Steeda CAI for a long period of time before we released it. We have had to make some tweaks along the way and this has resulted in our customers being very happy with the end results.

We strongly recommend that when you order a Steeda cam idle tune that you pair it with a Steeda CAI. Our countless hours of testing have yielded the best results with this combination. When you try to pair the Steeda cam idle tune with competitor's CAIs then it may not yield the same positive results as with the Steeda CAI.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/13/12, 07:54 AM
Banned

So you're saying that it will stall all day long with the stock box, but not with the steeda CAI?
Old 9/13/12, 08:54 AM
GT Member

So you're saying that it will stall all day long with the stock box, but not with the steeda CAI?
That sounds like a sales pitch to buy the Steeda CAI...lol
Old 9/13/12, 10:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The stalling is from driving a car with aggressive cams like its a stock car. The cam tune adjusts the cams duration just like if you have a car with aggressive cams. Low speed drivability is hampered bc there is not enough vacuum. So you can't bog the engine down in 2nd or 3rd gear and try to pull up a drive way. Or coast to a stop without giving it some gas. I have a 98 Cobra with custom cams from MMR. One of the requirements was gearing of atleast 430. Anyone who drives my car stalls it all day long bc they do not take into account for the excessive duration on the cams. And yes their CAI will probably run better than others bc all their testing was done on their CAI. Changing the CAI I'm sure alters the airflow enough to alter the drivability. I changed the routing of my CAI and had to get a complete re-tune bc it altered the airflow enough.
Try changing your driving style when using the cam idle tune. That should help with the stalling. I doubt their tune is that bad or no one would have released one. But all the modern electronics do not make up for having excessive duration. Can't tune in more vacuum.
Old 9/13/12, 10:16 AM
Banned

Thing is that I drove a Cammed GTO for nearly seven years. I understand dynamics of that sort. My GTO NEVER stalled. I take that back. It stalled three times in seven years. Steeda tune stalled three times in one hour. Also, it doesn't permanently toss the duration in that direction. above like 1200 or so (by my ear) it switches to fully normal operation - not high duration.

From my ear - even in normal operation, the high duration switch doesn't happen till like 4500 or so. I might be wrong, but my ears do work well.

One thing I keep adding here is that the Bama hasn't stalled on me yet.
Old 9/13/12, 01:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

How aggressive was the cam in the Goat? I've seen lots of guys changing the cam in their LSx engines and getting nice power gains with fairly mild cams. They are a little different since they are OHV engines. I can't adjust my can timing on thr fly like they can on my 2012 GT. But I can mechanically on my 98. I want to get thr Steeda CAI and cam tune. But dont have the funds at the moment. I had to completely adjust my driving when I went with the new cams on my Cobra. I couldn't pull off at idle any longer, and lug it around at low speeds. Not trying to say you can't drive. Just more interested in what effect that has on the stalling you've mentioned. And it sounds like the Bama tune isn't as aggressive with the Ghost cam feature. And more things like the AC clutch turning on and off return theirs to normal idle to help with the stalling and slow speed drivability
Old 9/13/12, 01:05 PM
Banned

The GTO had a 228/230 cam on a 112LSA. Pretty stout, but not dragster huge with the need to flycut. The LS2/LS6 factory heads and extra displacement soaked up some cam, definitely a little easier going than a 5.7l LS1 would have run.
Old 9/13/12, 01:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm using the Roush CAI, basicallt stock and I have no problems. I do plan on getting a Steeda CAI and Q-Series hood in the next few months though, turning the Roush into a Stroush!!

Originally Posted by conv_stang
The stalling is from driving a car with aggressive cams like its a stock car. The cam tune adjusts the cams duration just like if you have a car with aggressive cams. Low speed drivability is hampered bc there is not enough vacuum. So you can't bog the engine down in 2nd or 3rd gear and try to pull up a drive way. Or coast to a stop without giving it some gas. I have a 98 Cobra with custom cams from MMR. One of the requirements was gearing of atleast 430. Anyone who drives my car stalls it all day long bc they do not take into account for the excessive duration on the cams. And yes their CAI will probably run better than others bc all their testing was done on their CAI. Changing the CAI I'm sure alters the airflow enough to alter the drivability. I changed the routing of my CAI and had to get a complete re-tune bc it altered the airflow enough.
Try changing your driving style when using the cam idle tune. That should help with the stalling. I doubt their tune is that bad or no one would have released one. But all the modern electronics do not make up for having excessive duration. Can't tune in more vacuum.
I already, kinda, suggested this to her. Everybody that drives my '11 with cam tune stalls it....alot. But, it never stalls on me.

Also I upgraded from the crappy Vert gears to FRPP 3.73s, that probably helps alot since the Steeda tune is very aggressive/lopy.

Thing is that I drove a Cammed GTO for nearly seven years. I understand dynamics of that sort. My GTO NEVER stalled. I take that back. It stalled three times in seven years. Steeda tune stalled three times in one hour. Also, it doesn't permanently toss the duration in that direction. above like 1200 or so (by my ear) it switches to fully normal operation - not high duration.

From my ear - even in normal operation, the high duration switch doesn't happen till like 4500 or so. I might be wrong, but my ears do work well.

One thing I keep adding here is that the Bama hasn't stalled on me yet.
My Steeda tune switches pretty much the second I hit the the gas, don't notice anything over 1Kish.

Didn't you say the Bama tune is alot less aggressive with the lope? Do you still have stock Vert gears? If so maybe the Bama tune plays better with them. I don't know, haven't botherd requesting a Bama tune since I'm so happy with my Steeda one.
Old 9/13/12, 01:35 PM
Banned

Eh, it's all moot since I changed to my JLT CAI...
Old 9/13/12, 01:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
No you can use the Steeda Cam Idle tune with the stock air box. I was stating that we would prefer that a customer runs it with our Steeda CAI because we feel this is the best combination ... like all companies would that sell both.

PM Brandon or I when you ready to pick up that CAI/Hood. We can definitely get you situated.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/13/12, 02:03 PM
Cobra Member

Eh, it's all moot since I changed to my JLT CAI...
Are you still using the BAMA tune?
Old 9/13/12, 02:10 PM
Banned

I am! Though I switched back to the non-cam tune as it's currently getting stripes put on it @ the dealership.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 9/13/12 at 02:12 PM.
Old 9/13/12, 02:16 PM
Cobra Member

I am! Though I switched back to the non-cam tune as it's currently getting stripes put on it @ the dealership.
Nice, post pics when done!
Old 9/13/12, 03:17 PM
Banned

it should be done in an hour and a half!
Old 9/14/12, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

When I was running my Steeda cam tune on my 2012, the only time I ever had issues with stalling was if I didn't blip the throttle after starting it. Other than that, no problems, and it loped decently hard at the default RPM setting. I only stopped using it in the last week, after nearly 9000 miles using it, as I've switched to E-85. I'm getting cam lope withdrawal, though, and I'm really considering switching back to 93..

When I was running the Lund cam tune on my 2011, I didn't have any stalling issues that I can recall. It loped extremely hard - like a much, much bigger cam than the Steeda. Unfortunately, Lund isn't supporting cam tunes without a CAI anymore, so I never picked one up for my 2012. While the price of entry is steep, Lund really has the cam tune down better than anyone else, and that's saying something, since the offerings from other companies are pretty stellar anyways.

The one time I needed to contact Jon, he answered his cell phone even though he was in the middle of tuning a car on location at the Texas Mile - honestly, I don't see how you could want better communication than that, haha! But that was over a year ago, so things can change, I suppose..
Old 9/14/12, 02:31 PM
Banned

I'll keep that in mind, Kona. That may be an eventual path that I'll take.

Quick Reply: Cam tune (my review)