Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Cam tune (my review)

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/12, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam tune (my review)

So far I have tested Bama's tune and Steeda's tune.

It's obvious that they both may have started at the same point but ended at different spots.

When driving the Bama, I noticed that it didn't drop into the lope immediately, it kinda hunted for a moment. But more in the way of hunting from a smooth idle to a rough.

Once set, it sounded great.

When the AC was on, it hunted. A lot. to the point where the idle went back to sounding basically stock, and then when the compressor kicked off, it would go back to the idle, but only for a moment.

It seemed to pull slightly harder than stock, it was noticeable. With the standard idle tune, and the cam idle tune, the exhaust note was clearly different, but not in a negative way. It definitely sounded more aggressive. I noticed that it seemed like the WOT % was changed. The tip in seemed faster, and overall it sounded great.

When I went back to the stock idle, I honestly missed the cam idle, even with the few niggling issues. I think it only died once on it's own. It was right after programming though.

Now onto Steeda.

Major difference in lope. It found it's target immediately, and didn't hunt for it. The idle speed is also adjustable, so I was able to kick it down a hair to 650, to get a nice solid lope.

With the AC on there was no hunting.

It did manage to stall twice, at low speed in a parking lot. Not unlike my genuinely cammed GTO did. This could simply be attributed to my testing of a low idle (I went all the way down to 450rpms in my testing idle speeds before settling on 650 for now)

I noticed a major change in pull. Enough that an agressive downshift to 2nd with a rev match managed to anger the stability control when I got on it, and it was in sport mode.

The sound of being on the throttle is also changed. It seems to dial in the AFR and such better for some reason.

Another benefit of the Steeda to the Bama is the fact that by default they allow you to additionally edit your parameters. Like set your idle and rev limiter. So I got to play around till I found an idle I liked. I also bumped the rev limiter to 7500, but only cuz redline in 1 and two come so quick. I'll bump it back down to like 7200 next time I tune it. Besides, on the stock intake I'm not doing it any favors.

And now I present you with two videos. Both of my car, days apart. The night time video with the Bama tune. The daytime and raining, the Steeda. If you ignore my talking you can tell there is a definite difference between the two.

Bama:

Steeda:
Old 9/4/12, 04:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Excellent review and video of both cam tunes. Steeda always puts a lot of research, design and testing into any product they release, which from your review is apparent. Thanks Danielle!
Old 9/4/12, 05:04 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Love your car!
Old 9/4/12, 08:07 PM
GT Member

Nice!
Old 9/4/12, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Bama and no real complaints. I do, however feel I have lost power with the cam tune. If I am just riding along at 40 in 2nd gear and I hit it, the car will bog for a second and then crack into it and still feel like it has some break up. I have every intent to have Bama revise my tune as well as write me a new "performance" tune. I still will recommend Bama to anyone, I was one of the very FIRST people to get the tune so I would assume with more cars on the street data logging has given some solid feed back, in fact I will send a email for a new tune in the morning.
Old 9/4/12, 10:10 PM
Banned

How much are steeda tunes? do they come for free with their tuners? I'm in the market for a tuner and steeda is in my state ( 270 miles away though :/ ) but they sound like they know what they're doing a little better than bama
Old 9/4/12, 11:04 PM
GT Member

Nice review, thanks! Imagine what it will sound like with a cat delete x/h pipe.
Old 9/5/12, 05:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeD73USA
Nice review, thanks! Imagine what it will sound like with a cat delete x/h pipe.
Trust me, I'm wanting to do it badly, but we haven't even made a payment on the car yet. It's that new.
Old 9/5/12, 10:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Great write up!!

Glad to see our hours and hours of testing has paid off for you.. the end user.

Yes you get free custom tunes when you order the tuning device from Steeda. The Cam idle tune is a completely separate tune and that will cost you $90.00 our standard tunes on their own are $60.00.

Please email brandon@steeda.com when you are ready to make your purchase. He can help handle your order as well as any additional questions you may have.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/5/12, 04:36 PM
Banned

Unfortunately all is not perfect. I knew I should have taken the car out longer yesterday.

I'll upload the video shortly, but the cam idle @ 650 sounds awesome, but stalls. A lot.

Bumped it up to 750, and on an extended drive it only stalled once. Till I got home. Then it just stalled endlessly. I'm due to post a video of it shortly.

So right now the options are looking bleak on consistancy from either camp, actually.

I could try to kick the idle up to 850 and see how it goes. Unfortunately all the coolness and extra lope the Steeda tune had over the Bama is now lost.

If it can actually idle decently with an 850 idle (kinda high, i hated the 875 idle my GTO had) it's still the better tune, but I can't say till i test that.

Old 9/5/12, 04:46 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle

I could try to kick the idle up to 850 and see how it goes. Unfortunately all the coolness and extra lope the Steeda tune had over the Bama is now lost.
No different than back in the day having real cams with increased overlap. Always had to bump idle.
Old 9/5/12, 04:54 PM
GT Member

I'm not saying this is the tune people should get, but this vid of the ghost cam tune, and what you are doing Diva, is why I wanted a 11+ stang.

Sorry for the hijack...
Old 9/5/12, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdynaco
No different than back in the day having real cams with increased overlap. Always had to bump idle.
Oh I know, was just hoping that ye olde electronic toys would be a stop gap. Going to head out and try 850.
Old 9/5/12, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm glad yours is working out "OK", I tried the Steeda cam tune and had a lot of stalling issues.

The even bigger issue with mine was that it felt much much less powerful than any other tune i've tried. It was a tad bit slower than running the stock tune. (I did do a bunch of timed runs with each tune).

I have the lack of power issue with their regular performance tune as well (again, timed runs, not just seat of the pants feel)

So far for my 5.0 it has been Bama that produces the best feel and quickest times (although not the smoothest).

After seeing your troubles with the Bama cam tune, I may not try it out after all....Hmmm but it is free though....
Old 9/5/12, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tron84
I'm glad yours is working out "OK", I tried the Steeda cam tune and had a lot of stalling issues.

The even bigger issue with mine was that it felt much much less powerful than any other tune i've tried. It was a tad bit slower than running the stock tune. (I did do a bunch of timed runs with each tune).

I have the lack of power issue with their regular performance tune as well (again, timed runs, not just seat of the pants feel)

So far for my 5.0 it has been Bama that produces the best feel and quickest times (although not the smoothest).

After seeing your troubles with the Bama cam tune, I may not try it out after all....Hmmm but it is free though....
Try it, even with my "issues" if thats what you even want to call it...it was still awesome sounding!

And its free.

I have a 87 street tune, just incase I ever am FORCED to get 87 I have it set for my catless mid and JLT

93 performace

93 cam idle

Gives me options.
Old 9/5/12, 05:45 PM
Banned

Hoped there was maybe some unknown logic set in the idle tables that I was unaware of. Reinstalled an untinkered "stock" Steeda tune that was sent to me.. Idled great, ran strong, extended drive. Many stops and such, no problems. Going to give this more time. Again, the combination of rolling up the driveway in 2nd at 15 mph, then letting out the clutch to coast to my spot, and it just stalls.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 9/5/12 at 05:49 PM.
Old 9/5/12, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeD73USA
I'm not saying this is the tune people should get, but this vid of the ghost cam tune, and what you are doing Diva, is why I wanted a 11+ stang.

Jon Lund 93 Race Tune with Ghost Cams - YouTube

Sorry for the hijack...
I would have went with Lund in the first place honestly, but no website = no confidence = no way to contact tuner.
Old 9/5/12, 06:16 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Again, the combination of rolling up the driveway in 2nd at 15 mph, then letting out the clutch to coast to my spot, and it just stalls.
How about when you go up the driveway in 1st with higher revs?
Old 9/5/12, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdynaco
How about when you go up the driveway in 1st with higher revs?
I'll try it tomorrow, and give it an extended multi-day test. I gave the bama cam a few days. The issues w/ the AC on did improve, but not fully with the bama.

Might have to call up lund. I doubt Steeda will give me my money back for a tune with imperfections. Thankfully with AM/Bama, I can always tweak it.
Old 9/5/12, 06:35 PM
GT Member

I would have went with Lund in the first place honestly, but no website = no confidence = no way to contact tuner.
I did go with Lund and have to agree with you.

I started beginning of August, and even though my SCT had to be sent off to be fixed, it seems it has taken a long time to get revision tunes.

I am on revision 4 of my tune, with only mods being the Boss 302 exhaust. It seems that my ECM code is one of 2 that he is having issues with. Car was returned back to stock tune today as the CEL came on the morning after loading the R4 tune yesterday afternoon.

I have expressed my concerns about the timely manner that it takes to get tunes, 2 weeks at the most.

I have inquired about a Boss 302 intake tune that I want to install in 2 weeks, with only response being I can get that taken care of for you. I can't install the intake with no startup tune.

I have also contacted Steeda (Brandon) about their tunes and was ready to purchase it. With the question on table about the Boss intake tune. This was a week ago with no reply.

Quick Reply: Cam tune (my review)