5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Cam tune (my review)

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/12, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slostang
Try it, even with my "issues" if thats what you even want to call it...it was still awesome sounding!

And its free.

I have a 87 street tune, just incase I ever am FORCED to get 87 I have it set for my catless mid and JLT

93 performace

93 cam idle

Gives me options.
I guess I'll have to give them a call because I tried ordering a cam tune by requesting it in the comments section when you are filling out all the other info for Bama but I was never sent a cam idle tune, maybe it was just overlooked, will call them tomorrow.

Like you said, it's free.

You sound kinda like me, I have quite a long list of Bama tunes and always keep a 87 octane tune loaded just in case I can't find premium.
Old 9/5/12, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BadHabit2Break
I did go with Lund and have to agree with you.

I started beginning of August, and even though my SCT had to be sent off to be fixed, it seems it has taken a long time to get revision tunes.

I am on revision 4 of my tune, with only mods being the Boss 302 exhaust. It seems that my ECM code is one of 2 that he is having issues with. Car was returned back to stock tune today as the CEL came on the morning after loading the R4 tune yesterday afternoon.

I have expressed my concerns about the timely manner that it takes to get tunes, 2 weeks at the most.

I have inquired about a Boss 302 intake tune that I want to install in 2 weeks, with only response being I can get that taken care of for you. I can't install the intake with no startup tune.

I have also contacted Steeda (Brandon) about their tunes and was ready to purchase it. With the question on table about the Boss intake tune. This was a week ago with no reply.
If you're looking for very quick turnaround times, take a look at Doug's tuning at C&L. The couple I've got from him have been sent to me in as little as under an hour, and no longer than 24 hours
Old 9/5/12, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also.......

Bama will REFUSE to send you a cam tune unless you say you have catless mids. Dunno if I mentioned that. I still have my catted mids on it, but whatev's.
Old 9/5/12, 06:55 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the info.

Probably cause the cam tune tends to kill cats.
Old 9/5/12, 06:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Tron84
If you're looking for very quick turnaround times, take a look at Doug's tuning at C&L. The couple I've got from him have been sent to me in as little as under an hour, and no longer than 24 hours
Thanks for the info.
Old 9/5/12, 08:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle

I would have went with Lund in the first place honestly, but no website = no confidence = no way to contact tuner.
Totally understandable, like I said, I was not endorsing Lund, or any company. That YouTube vid was the best example of a ghost cam tune I could find, sound, lope, and rumble. That's all! Good luck on your tuning! Can't wait to hear what it sounds like in the future.
Old 9/5/12, 09:11 PM
V6 Member

Bama's ghost cam tune sounds much better than that with catless mid pipe.

Last edited by Jetag93; 9/5/12 at 09:22 PM.
Old 9/5/12, 09:49 PM
Banned

funny you say that, my next planned mod will be catless mids. Then after that, see how long i can survive before my fiancee kills me (since it's our car together)
Old 9/6/12, 08:17 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Jetag93
Bama's ghost cam tune sounds much better than that with catless mid pipe.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDZcNXZyOe4&sns=em
I don't think so... But to each his own..
Old 9/6/12, 10:20 AM
Banned

Further testing.

Steeda doesn't want to idle worth a **** @ it's default 650 commanded. It lopes something fierce. Then you'll get a random stall at low RPM, and start to dislike.

Bama commands a 825 idle.

Set Steeda to 850, and the iac went nuts, wouldn't really settle into a good lope.

Set Steeda to 750, idled better, way cooler than bama @ 825. But is it worth it? I dunno.

Set Steeda to 800rpm, going to test it a bit. If it can't not stall, I might just throw in the towel on this one. (Nevermind it fell on it's face multiple times and stalled)

Bama clearly forces and won't allow us to adjust it for a reason. I was told that any lower and they had stalling issues. Sounds about right.

In almost reversing here and saying bama is the better tune.

Bamacam feels like it needs fine tuning to lope proper. It actually just sounds like it has a miss sometimes.

Steeda feels like a proper cammed car, lopes great. But it also feels like it needs fine tuning not to stall all the time.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 9/6/12 at 02:37 PM.
Old 9/6/12, 12:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I say get some cams first then get a tune for those cams!
Old 9/6/12, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor

Further testing.

Steeda doesn't want to idle worth a **** @ it's default 650 commanded. It lopes something fierce. Then you'll get a random stall at low RPM, and start to dislike.

Bama commands a 825 idle.

Set Steeda to 850, and the iac went nuts, wouldn't really settle into a good lope.

Set Steeda to 750, idled better, way cooler than bama @ 825. But is it worth it? I dunno.

Set Steeda to 800rpm, going to test it a bit. If it can't not stall, I might just throw in the towel on this one.

Bama clearly forces and won't allow us to adjust it for a reason. I was told that any lower and they had stalling issues. Sounds about right.

In almost reversing here and saying bama is the better tune.

Bamacam feels like it needs fine tuning to lope proper. It actually just sounds like it has a miss sometimes.

Steeda feels like a proper cammed car, lopes great. But it also feels like it needs fine tuning not to stall all the time.
I apologize that you're having trouble with it.

Our tuner's going to get a revision done for you and see if we can't resolve those issues.
Old 9/6/12, 01:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the idle tunes were bad for cats .. so you are supposed to only run with off-road pipes?

I am not sure why Bama doesn't unlock more settings in their tunes.

When I had ORIGINAL Bama tunes back on my 2006 .. you could edit lots of things ... Now with the tunes I have on my 2012 ... you cannot edit ANYTHING ...

Last edited by dmhines; 9/6/12 at 01:02 PM.
Old 9/6/12, 01:07 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dmhines
I thought the idle tunes were bad for cats .. so you are supposed to only run with off-road pipes?
We haven't seen any premature wearing of the cats in our own testing of our tune. I can't speak for the others.
Old 9/6/12, 01:07 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines

I am not sure why Bama doesn't unlock more settings in their tunes.

When I had ORIGINAL Bama tunes back on my 2006 .. you could edit lots of things ... Now with the tunes I have on my 2012 ... you cannot edit ANYTHING ...
Probably to protect their butts from what we're reading here. They send it out knowing it works. If any tweaks need to be done they do it for free.

Compared to an owner experimenting with the tune and then posting how it doesn't work well.
Old 9/6/12, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
I apologize that you're having trouble with it.

Our tuner's going to get a revision done for you and see if we can't resolve those issues.
And this is why I am liking you thus far. :-) I've been told from the other camp that "that's how it is, and this is the only flavor it comes in since we offer a cyl #8 warranty."

I'm happy with the ease of help both Steeda and Bama have offered me, honestly. Unfortunately in the case of the CAM tune, Steeda wants to make it better.

I am however, now limited to only using my stock intake instead of my JLT - or buy a Steeda intake.

Bama will happily do stuff to my normal tunes, but I'm stonewalled in regards to the "cam tune". Though it doesn't stall. So that's a plus. Plus they have sent me a tune in advance for my install of my JLT intake. Meaning I can use their cam tune w/ my JLT.

Le Sigh... Stay tuned for more updates.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 9/6/12 at 02:51 PM.
Old 9/6/12, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

HOLY SH*T Mike thats awesome man!!
Old 9/6/12, 08:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Womprat
HOLY SH*T Mike thats awesome man!!
I know! Crazy huh?
Old 9/7/12, 02:06 PM
Banned

Just drove home from Philly to DC. Even with a revised Steeda tune, it stalled out at every single tollway I hit.

Going outside now to install my JLT intake. Since Steeda recently stopped supporting JLT, that's the end of my Steeda tunes, I guess.

Bama is the clear winner.
Old 9/7/12, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Just drove home from Philly to DC. Even with a revised Steeda tune, it stalled out at every single tollway I hit.

Going outside now to install my JLT intake. Since Steeda recently stopped supporting JLT, that's the end of my Steeda tunes, I guess.

Bama is the clear winner.
I think you made a wise choice

Quick Reply: Cam tune (my review)