Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/12, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdog1157
Would this cause any drone issues? I wonder how they'd sound with Borla ATAK's?
Not really any drone. When I drive the car to work I set the cuuise at 65-70 without any problem.

The more I have it, the more I like it. Car sounds great without the plates.
Now I just have to talk myself into getting that cammed tune.
Old 3/2/12, 10:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Blackbird
Its hard to determine from a video. How loud is it really without the restrictor plates? Like cops all over you loud or..?Blackbird.
Originally Posted by cdog1157
Would this cause any drone issues? I wonder how they'd sound with Borla ATAK's?

Originally Posted by Bigblue11
I see you have the idle tune. Do you have a different H or X pipe?
Yes I just installed the Steeda cam idle tune, I have the boss h-pipe/side exhaust pipes with the GT 500 mufflers, there is no drone, not too loud that cops are all over me, if you keep your foot out of it, it can be somewhat quiet but if you get on it then it gets pretty loud. The restrictor plates make a difference but it's pretty quiet with them installed (still sounds good)
Attached Thumbnails Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-dsc07859.jpg   Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-dsc07886.jpg   Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-dsc07900.jpg  
Old 3/2/12, 10:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dwtc

The sound is pretty good since it runs out the side of the car and the rear, you can hear it better from inside the car. I took the restrictor plates back out. Here is a video http://youtu.be/AizD_HFV6V4 I have the gt500 mufflers and boss side pipes
Sounds good!
Old 3/3/12, 10:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Installed mine today and they are great. Slightly deeper sound, but you don't really notice it til over 2500 or so RPM.
Old 3/5/12, 12:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I just ordered mine up!! Is this something that can be installed on ramps in the garage?

Any tricks or difficult parts of the install?

I'm pretty psyched. I'm hoping that it will be a nice compliment to the GT500 mufflers.
Old 3/5/12, 09:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I just ordered mine up!! Is this something that can be installed on ramps in the garage?

I'm pretty psyched. I'm hoping that it will be a nice compliment to the GT500 mufflers.
I installed mine in the garage with jack stands on one side, the hardest part is removing the front h-pipe bolts because there is no much room to access the top of the bolt, the rear pipes will slide back once the clamps on the h-pipe are loosened, the only other thing is to removed the rear flaps on the floorboard (the black flaps in the pics)
Attached Thumbnails Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-dsc07874.jpg   Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-img_1428.jpg   Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-img_1429.jpg   Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-img_1432.jpg  
Old 3/6/12, 07:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

DWTC,
Thank you.
The insight and pictures are massively appreciated.

I think I can do this. I'll roll her up onto the ramps tonight and see if I can get at those front bolts. If my clumsy meat hooks can't get the job done, I may just suck it up and bring it to the exhaust shop.

BTW, for anyone else looking for this setup, American Muscle carries this setup now...and they do price match. I'm sure www.buyfordracing.com is a fine source but American Muscle has taken very good care of me so I was even happier to send my $699 (free shipping) to them. Another plus is that they ship extremely fast. 1-2 days...not too shabby.

EDIT: Here's the link...no affilliation, justa happy customer.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss-q...st-1113gt.html

Last edited by MRGTX; 3/6/12 at 08:02 AM.
Old 3/6/12, 12:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

I did it on a lift but I don't think it would be hard to do with jack stands. On the drivers side I used a piece of heat shield to protect those lines and wires. Probably overkill but what the heck. Next time I have it up I'll post a picture.
Old 3/6/12, 10:13 PM
GT Member

I've had great luck with Buyfordracing on a set of wheels and the boss exhaust, they ship the same day and I usually get the item the next day because I am only 1 state away. I have had great luck with American Muscle and have never had to wait more than 2 days due to them being a little farther away. I've had great experiences with both of them, I will say American Muscle communication is top notch, they send you tracking numbers.

MRGTX
Good luck with the install. If you havent already I would spray some rust penetrant on the clamp bolts and let them soak a while, that was the hardest part about the whole job, those front clamp bolts !

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I did it on a lift but I don't think it would be hard to do with jack stands. On the drivers side I used a piece of heat shield to protect those lines and wires. Probably overkill but what the heck. Next time I have it up I'll post a picture.
I was wondering the same thing about the brake lines, I checked the photos of the boss from the car show and it didn't have anything there so I figured it would be ok without any kind of shield, I would like to see what you did.
Old 3/12/12, 08:58 PM

Very tempted to add this to my car. Does it come with a good set of instructions? How much of the exhaust system to I have to take off off the car in order to install? For those that have posted videos, they sound fantastic!
Old 3/12/12, 09:07 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 to buyfordracing.com. Ordered wheels on Tues, had them on Wed. Can't really beat that. I'd order the Boss exhaust from them if I was going to do it.
Old 3/12/12, 10:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye
Very tempted to add this to my car. Does it come with a good set of instructions? How much of the exhaust system to I have to take off off the car in order to install? For those that have posted videos, they sound fantastic!
mine did not come with instructions, it's very simple to install, just remove the stock h-pipe (2 clamps in front and 2 clamps in the rear) remove the black shields on the rear floor as seen in the above photos. bolt the boss h-pipe in place, add the side pipes. that the basics. The hardest part is removing the front clamps on the h-pipe as there is not much roof between the bolt and floor of the car.
Old 3/14/12, 07:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

mine did not come with instructions, it's very simple to install, just remove the stock h-pipe (2 clamps in front and 2 clamps in the rear) remove the black shields on the rear floor as seen in the above photos. bolt the boss h-pipe in place, add the side pipes. that the basics. The hardest part is removing the front clamps on the h-pipe as there is not much roof between the bolt and floor of the car.
No instructions with mine either...but what you described is right on. Not much work to do.

I will just add that if you don't have good jackstands, consider having it installed. Ramps won't get you enough clearance. The Ford dealer said they would install it for "1 hour" of labor...and I'm pretty lazy so they're going on when I bring the car in for an oil change.
Old 3/14/12, 07:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Cant wait to do this. Thanks for the info, all.
Old 3/14/12, 07:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
Cant wait to do this. Thanks for the info, all.
Cool!! Let us know how you make out.
BTW, nothing against www.buyfordracing.com (they are good by all accounts) but American Muscle, who has taken extremely good care of me over the years, price matched on this part.
Old 3/15/12, 07:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Cool!! Let us know how you make out.
BTW, nothing against www.buyfordracing.com (they are good by all accounts) but American Muscle, who has taken extremely good care of me over the years, price matched on this part.
Will do, but waiting on 13 deliveries & wheels first. Was thinking about fabbing some visible side exits, but on second thought I think I like sleeper better. Where you at BTW? I'm in central CT.
Old 3/16/12, 06:17 AM
Bullitt Member

any performance gains?
Old 3/17/12, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Overboost
+1 to buyfordracing.com. Ordered wheels on Tues, had them on Wed. Can't really beat that. I'd order the Boss exhaust from them if I was going to do it.
Whoo Hooo! I pulled the trigger and now will be waiting for delivery of my first mechanical modification. I know, I know, I've had the car a year.....but I think this is a good first mod.

By the way, Overboost, I saw your avatar, and wondered if you knew where to find a good skunk sticker like that avatar? I've seen ones that are all white, but am looking for one just like your avatar.

Thanks again to all who have provided information on the install. I'll post as well once the pipes arrive from buyfordracing.
Old 3/17/12, 11:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've had great luck with Buyfordracing on a set of wheels and the boss exhaust, they ship the same day and I usually get the item the next day because I am only 1 state away. I have had great luck with American Muscle and have never had to wait more than 2 days due to them being a little farther away. I've had great experiences with both of them, I will say American Muscle communication is top notch, they send you tracking numbers.

MRGTX
Good luck with the install. If you havent already I would spray some rust penetrant on the clamp bolts and let them soak a while, that was the hardest part about the whole job, those front clamp bolts !

I was wondering the same thing about the brake lines, I checked the photos of the boss from the car show and it didn't have anything there so I figured it would be ok without any kind of shield, I would like to see what you did.
Went to get my summer tires put on and took a shot of the improvised heat shield.
Attached Thumbnails Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-dscn00881.jpg  
Old 3/17/12, 05:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye

Whoo Hooo! I pulled the trigger and now will be waiting for delivery of my first mechanical modification. I know, I know, I've had the car a year.....but I think this is a good first mod.

By the way, Overboost, I saw your avatar, and wondered if you knew where to find a good skunk sticker like that avatar? I've seen ones that are all white, but am looking for one just like your avatar.

Thanks again to all who have provided information on the install. I'll post as well once the pipes arrive from buyfordracing.
His avatar is the Lockheed Martin Skunkworks logo! Google it and it's the first image.

Quick Reply: Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion