Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/13, 01:49 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of Timbuktu, so other 5.0s are pretty scarce, more so modded ones with exhaust.

Did you see the vids I posted above and prior? Which sound do you like better based on that? Esp the boss/borla combo, which mine would be?
IDK...the problem I have it isn't the same test. Meaning that he doesn't take off the same way with the side pipes on, start up is different...You can tell there is a difference, it almost makes it sound like surround sound, a tad louder, but nothing that much different. IMO. I think I said it before if I had known then I wouldn't have done it. Bottom line it is your Pony and you do have to do what you like. If you do it, go without the qtps, take out the restrictor plates and see how it sounds. You might like it. I will make better videos this weekend, I hope. Supposed to rain here all weekend.
Old 3/15/13, 01:51 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of Timbuktu, so other 5.0s are pretty scarce, more so modded ones with exhaust.

Did you see the vids I posted above and prior? Which sound do you like better based on that? Esp the boss/borla combo, which mine would be?
Originally Posted by Gtstyles2
This is with the Mac setup and qtp cutouts, it shows the difference the Boss pipes make... Hope this helps your decision.

http://youtu.be/2KUhwAYluyc
What I notice about this and I'll have to check on mine (it might just be the angle of the camera), but you can see the side pipe, I can't see mine it's up there and that might be an issue of why I'm not hearing a big difference in sound. IDK
Old 3/15/13, 01:59 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

This is with the Mac setup and qtp cutouts, it shows the difference the Boss pipes make... Hope this helps your decision.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/2KUhwAYluyc
Wow. That's a GREAT vid man. It really highlights the boss quads for sure. The Mac and quads together make a good combo. The other vid I posted last night with the borla and quad together didn't really sound that good. I wonder if it's a video recording issue or just a bad combo altogether.
Old 3/15/13, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow. That's a GREAT vid man. It really highlights the boss quads for sure. The Mac and quads together make a good combo. The other vid I posted last night with the borla and quad together didn't really sound that good. I wonder if it's a video recording issue or just a bad combo altogether.
It seems it's mostly obvious when I hear it passing by, I think on the road u probably won't hear much of a difference... I thinks it's more for slow cruising or shows. I think in Avengnd's case, he would've been less disappointed if it wasn't for also adding the cutouts which with the axlebacks, is probably not worth it.
Old 3/15/13, 02:40 PM
GT Member

It seems it's mostly obvious when I hear it passing by, I think on the road u probably won't hear much of a difference... I thinks it's more for slow cruising or shows. I think in Avengnd's case, he would've been less disappointed if it wasn't for also adding the cutouts which with the axlebacks, is probably not worth it.
HAHA you are right Gtstyles, if I didn't drop the cash for the QTPs I would have been happier with the what I got and less disappointed. At one point driving I had them closed and opened them up and didn't hear any difference at all. I had to actually stop and rev the engine just to make sure they were open.
Old 3/15/13, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Avengnd

HAHA you are right Gtstyles, if I didn't drop the cash for the QTPs I would have been happier with the what I got and less disappointed. At one point driving I had them closed and opened them up and didn't hear any difference at all. I had to actually stop and rev the engine just to make sure they were open.
That kinda sucks!! It was probably annoying even having to install and wire the cutouts. It's probably more worth it for the ppl who want to keep using their factory mufflers and maybe add a growl if they wish :-p
Old 3/15/13, 03:01 PM
GT Member

That kinda sucks!! It was probably annoying even having to install and wire the cutouts. It's probably more worth it for the ppl who want to keep using their factory mufflers and maybe add a growl if they wish :-p
Very true, a growl is about all you get. IMO A little kitty growl...not a huge lion growl...lol
Old 3/15/13, 03:32 PM
I Have No Life

Very true, a growl is about all you get. IMO A little kitty growl...not a huge lion growl...lol
I might just order the borla full catback system then. I need parts 60521 and 60513.

On the other hand I was thinking you weren't impressed with the quads because your whipple was making so much racket lol
Old 3/15/13, 03:40 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, don't jump the gun on anything until you hear it in person. Dropping that kind of money on something sight unseen/unheard is rough. Go find someone with a Boss and with those catbacks and see what they sound like in person.
Old 3/15/13, 03:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Dude, don't jump the gun on anything until you hear it in person. Dropping that kind of money on something sight unseen/unheard is rough. Go find someone with a Boss and with those catbacks and see what they sound like in person.
Agree, it took me well over a year to decide this. And I should have thought about it longer. lol But I think he is out in nowheresville with no other Mustangs around.
Old 3/15/13, 03:46 PM
GT Member

I might just order the borla full catback system then. I need parts 60521 and 60513.

On the other hand I was thinking you weren't impressed with the quads because your whipple was making so much racket lol
I'd probably just go the exhaust first and start there can't go wrong.

No that wouldn't be the case my whipple is quiet. It's a creeper.
Old 3/15/13, 03:54 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost
I don't have a choice Steve... But to base it on vids (still none from you lol), and what you guys say. There are literally 5 or so 5.0s here... I am number 6.
Old 3/15/13, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't have a choice Steve... But to base it on vids (still none from you lol), and what you guys say. There are literally 5 or so 5.0s here... I am number 6.
It's the same in my area, it makes your Stang that much cooler :-) I try to to mine out anytime the weather gets decent... I don't wanna one of those that just stores it in full hibernation, it's tough having the itch and. It being able to scratch :-p
Old 3/15/13, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

It's the same in my area, it makes your Stang that much cooler :-) I try to to mine out anytime the weather gets decent... I don't wanna one of those that just stores it in full hibernation, it's tough having the itch and. It being able to scratch :-p
**** autocorrect :-|
Old 3/15/13, 05:04 PM
I Have No Life

Yeah I'm one of those that stores it... Lol. No rain at all for me
Old 3/16/13, 02:13 AM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know - that mac video was awesome and honestly sounds very close to my setup (it has more voice with the cutouts open) - but to me with no restrictors in it was way too loud. It's loud now with the stock restrictors in and I'm happy with the sound. Since you live in the boonies it's hard to decide - I'll tell you this, videos don't do anything to showcase the sound. Wish you could go hear a boss 302 stock, that'd give you an idea.
Old 3/16/13, 11:34 AM
GT Member

Okay, so today I had my girlfriend get in the car and rev the engine while I was on the outside listening to my new side exhaust and QTP cutouts. I can tell there is a difference between the cutouts being open and closed. I think I mentioned before it gives the Pony more of a mean growl versus just the ab on. Is it too loud, IMO no, it still isn't loud enough. LOL But I would tell you this if any of you are thinking about going this route, do not get the QTP cutouts, get the side exhaust on and run them without the restrictor plates and see if you like it or not. If it is too loud without the restrictor plates then go for the QTP cutouts.

I'm still working on some better videos, it's raining here today, so hopefully in the next coming days.
Old 3/16/13, 02:35 PM
I Have No Life

Okay, so today I had my girlfriend get in the car and rev the engine while I was on the outside listening to my new side exhaust and QTP cutouts. I can tell there is a difference between the cutouts being open and closed. I think I mentioned before it gives the Pony more of a mean growl versus just the ab on. Is it too loud, IMO no, it still isn't loud enough. LOL But I would tell you this if any of you are thinking about going this route, do not get the QTP cutouts, get the side exhaust on and run them without the restrictor plates and see if you like it or not. If it is too loud without the restrictor plates then go for the QTP cutouts.

I'm still working on some better videos, it's raining here today, so hopefully in the next coming days.
That's good to know avengd... I definitely wanted somewhat louder... But I didn't want to change the overall tone of my borlas.

So last night I spent about 2 hours viewing videos. I watched each video like 20 times. In the end I decided I loved my borla tone too much. I didn't want to introduce a different sound to it. Just wanted to amplify it.

So this is what I ordered.
Attached Thumbnails Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-image-3708435589.jpg  
Old 3/16/13, 02:50 PM
GT Member

Awesome!! Should be a great sound, look forward to the videos.
Old 3/16/13, 03:12 PM
I Have No Life

Awesome!! Should be a great sound, look forward to the videos.
Videos are definitely in the future. Pics too lol