Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/13, 03:01 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BadHabit2Break
I ran the wiring behind the heatshields and above the tranny to the shifter cutout. I have an auto, so I just removed the shifter and fished the wires through.

I used the cig lighter in the center console for power, and put the switch in there also. There is a plastic piece on the driverside that pops out.
Thanks.

You mean you just removed the shift boot or the entire shifter?

As for the cig lighter you just spliced into it, taped it back up?

That's a great spot for the switch.
Old 3/7/13, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Avengnd
Looking for some tips on the install of the QTP Electric cutouts...I'm more interested in the wiring. Where the switch goes, the route you ran the wire, and where and how you connected the hot wire.

Thanks.
Did u try it out yet?? Just wondering how much louder it is, still debating whether the cutouts are worth it
Old 3/7/13, 03:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks.

Hey Alan, don't know if u seen this video, hope it helps

Old 3/7/13, 03:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gtstyles2
Did u try it out yet?? Just wondering how much louder it is, still debating whether the cutouts are worth it
Not yet, I'm having the pipes installed Tuesday.
Old 3/7/13, 03:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gtstyles2
Hey Alan, don't know if u seen this video, hope it helps

http://youtu.be/it0NpvBZwHc
Thanks for the vid, I've seen it but still not as clear as i would like it to be to understand the install.
Old 3/7/13, 05:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Not yet, I'm having the pipes installed Tuesday.
Do you have any new pics of your car???
Old 3/7/13, 05:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 06blackvertstang

Do you have any new pics of your car???
Just the ones in my garage.
Old 3/7/13, 06:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Just the ones in my garage.
Man post them in the latest picture thread. You only posted them once that I can remember and your car looked so great!
Old 3/7/13, 06:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 06blackvertstang

Man post them in the latest picture thread. You only posted them once that I can remember and your car looked so great!
Will do.
Old 3/7/13, 08:26 PM
GT Member

Thanks.

I'm an auto....no shift boot. I had to remove the top par of the center console.

I did splice it into the cig liter wiring.
Old 3/8/13, 03:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BadHabit2Break
I'm an auto....no shift boot. I had to remove the top par of the center console.

I did splice it into the cig liter wiring.
Sounds good, thanks.
Old 3/12/13, 06:24 PM
GT Member

Had the Boss 302 Side Exhaust and QTP Electric Cutouts installed today, pretty easy set up. But because I don’t have the right equipment at my house I took the Pony and the set up to my exhaust guy. Tomorrow I’ll finish up the wiring, get pics and vids posted within the next day or so.

A couple of things we ran into with the install of the system. Nothing major and all the directions I found online were pretty straight forward. However, we decided to make a couple of mods to the install.

My Mustang is lowered with the Ford Racing Handling Pack which is a total of 1 inch all the way around. And why I made one of the decisions below.

The directions call for the removal of the LH and RH heat shield we decided to keep them and modify them so that the side exhaust fits nicely. It looks good and keeps some of the integrity of the shield.

Next we noticed that the QTP sat at an angle when installed. For a quick reference look at the pictures posted on page 13 (https://themustangsource.com/f800/bo...03279/index13/), you will notice there is an angle to the entire QTP and for me that means the QTP was hanging 1.5 inches below everything else on the Pony. I can’t imagine having that caught on something and ripping off. I know probably never happen. But I wasn’t going to take a chance.

To fix this issue my exhaust guy cut the flange on the h-pipe and then rotated it until the QTP was parallel/flush with the bottom of the Pony/ground, then welded it back in place. I must say it looks much better than the two QTPs angled down.

If the Pony wasn’t lowered I probably wouldn’t care about the angle.

If you look at page 8 (https://themustangsource.com/f800/bo...503279/index8/) the QTP look flush with the ground. The video on page 16 (https://themustangsource.com/f800/bo...03279/index16/) shows them flush as well.

I’m not sure why there is a difference and I’m curious to know if anyone else ran into this problem. The one thought I had the reason for the difference is the Boss is actually set up a little differently for the QTP to sit flush. IDK

Anyway I’m pretty excited about wiring it tomorrow (just ran out of time today) and hearing how she sounds. Pics and vids to follow.
Old 3/12/13, 10:44 PM

I believe kooks has a setup for the side exhaust as well. Any ideas how this compares? I was considering ordering this whole setup along with a Roush TVS:

http://www.redlightracing.net/kooks-...boss-11-14-gt/

http://www.redlightracing.net/kooks-...-8in-11-14-gt/

http://www.redlightracing.net/produc...%252d14-GT%29-

Do you guys think I should go for that to help the car breathe, or will their be any benefit in doing the side exhaust setup without headers beyond the awesome sound that i'm not aware of?
Old 3/13/13, 03:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by KrazyKenne
I believe kooks has a setup for the side exhaust as well. Any ideas how this compares? I was considering ordering this whole setup along with a Roush TVS:

http://www.redlightracing.net/kooks-...boss-11-14-gt/

http://www.redlightracing.net/kooks-...-8in-11-14-gt/

http://www.redlightracing.net/produc...%252d14-GT%29-

Do you guys think I should go for that to help the car breathe, or will their be any benefit in doing the side exhaust setup without headers beyond the awesome sound that i'm not aware of?
I haven't read anywhere that someone use the Kooks setup. I'd be curious to hear what they think as well. Pretty steep price for H-pipe and side pipes. But I'm sure the results are much better.
Old 3/14/13, 03:39 PM
GT Member

Okay my verdict on the side pipes.

Maybe it’s my exhaust (Flowmaster 40 Series), but there is no drastic change in sound when the QTPs are open. It’s a little more of an aggressive sound, but not overwhelming or that much of an increase in sound. IMO

Hindsight, I would not have gotten the QTPs, I would just have removed the restrictor plates and then got the QTPs if I thought it was too loud. But it isn’t, a little disappointed in the fact that I thought it would open up the sound more.

I’ll work on some videos still. But what I have played around with so far, I’m not sure you would be able to hear the difference.

Don’t get me wrong there is a slight increase in volume, but not worth the price of the side pipes and QTPs. Maybe there is a bigger difference with a stock Boss.

My suggestion if you go this route, just go with the side pipes, take out the restrictor plates and then determine if it is too loud. Or just save the money and put it towards new headers and the entire exhaust system.
Old 3/14/13, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I kinda figured that would be the case, I was thinking of doing the side pipes w/o restrictors only without the cutouts, and if I thought it was too loud I would get them. How happy are u with the new sound? Worth it??
Old 3/14/13, 07:01 PM
GT Member

I'm okay with it, just disappointed really. I thought it would be much louder than just the axle backs, but it's not. Is it worth cost, IDK probably not. Money could be better spent saved up for headers, x-pipe and you would probably get a much better sound, not to mention much louder. If you do it, don't get the QTPs just take the restrictors out and see how it sounds. If you think it is too loud then go for them.
Old 3/14/13, 07:20 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I'm okay with it, just disappointed really. I thought it would be much louder than just the axle backs, but it's not. Is it worth cost, IDK probably not. Money could be better spent saved up for headers, x-pipe and you would probably get a much better sound, not to mention much louder. If you do it, don't get the QTPs just take the restrictors out and see how it sounds. If you think it is too loud then go for them.
Awwwwwww man... This is not what I wanted to hear I'm literally getting ready to order the boss quad exhaust tonight. My SC might have to wait, so completing my exhaust instead.

I already have borla s types, so was deciding between the full catback of borla (over axle and x pipe) or just the boss quads......... Cost is almost same, so I wanted sound for sure.

Maybe I should get the borla pipes instead...... Hmmm

Could you please post a vid???? I don't care if its bad quality
Old 3/14/13, 07:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Good to know, I was on a toss up to my next mod it's either the Boss H w/ side pipes or the Boss IM... Looks like I'm going Boss IM first
Old 3/14/13, 08:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

Awwwwwww man... This is not what I wanted to hear I'm literally getting ready to order the boss quad exhaust tonight. My SC might have to wait, so completing my exhaust instead.

I already have borla s types, so was deciding between the full catback of borla (over axle and x pipe) or just the boss quads......... Cost is almost same, so I wanted sound for sure.

Maybe I should get the borla pipes instead...... Hmmm

Could you please post a vid???? I don't care if its bad quality
Sorry man. I don't know if there are the factors like my axle backs or if it's just not that great. Maybe I set the bar too high for it. Here are some vids I didn't edit them and I just uploaded them on my phone not sure if the are ready you should be able to hear the differences. Hopefully. Lol

Quick Reply: Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion