Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/13, 08:02 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

Awwwwwww man... This is not what I wanted to hear I'm literally getting ready to order the boss quad exhaust tonight. My SC might have to wait, so completing my exhaust instead.

I already have borla s types, so was deciding between the full catback of borla (over axle and x pipe) or just the boss quads......... Cost is almost same, so I wanted sound for sure.

Maybe I should get the borla pipes instead...... Hmmm

Could you please post a vid???? I don't care if its bad quality
Oh and the start of the vid is either with the qtp open or closed. The one of my dash is in the garage with the garage door open the rest are outside. The one looking through the windshield has all doors and windows closed.
Old 3/14/13, 08:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gtstyles2
Good to know, I was on a toss up to my next mod it's either the Boss H w/ side pipes or the Boss IM... Looks like I'm going Boss IM first
Yeah idk maybe with the Boss headers it would be better and why the Boss sounds so good. IDK
Old 3/14/13, 08:19 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Avengnd

Oh and the start of the vid is either with the qtp open or closed. The one of my dash is in the garage with the garage door open the rest are outside. The one looking through the windshield has all doors and windows closed.
Thanks for posting that... I think the first vid is the most representative, right? I can hear the distinct side burble. So I can tell its definitely there. Was it not distinct enough? Or loud enough for you? Unless maybe I'm hearing your axleback... What axleback do you have?

I wish I could hear the borla full catback in person too and especially if I could hear my borla s types paired with the boss H...
Old 3/14/13, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for posting that... I think the first vid is the most representative, right? I can hear the distinct side burble. So I can tell its definitely there. Was it not distinct enough? Or loud enough for you? Unless maybe I'm hearing your axleback... What axleback do you have?

I wish I could hear the borla full catback in person too and especially if I could hear my borla s types paired with the boss H...
I have the Borla S type as well, and I'm still curious as well... Guess it'll be in the distant future for now, unless I can get a great deal on the Boss pipes
Old 3/14/13, 09:15 PM
I Have No Life

Avengd,

Thanks for your posts. After doing a little digging, I found some vids that really showcase the difference. I found a vid that also had a borla s type axleback paired with boss quad. I then compared it to the sound of a full borla s catback system...

Frankly, I think I like the borla s catback better. Compared to just a borla s axleback, the sound is deeper a little bit more open. Compared to the boss quad plus borla, it seems to have a cleaner, more "flowing" distinct burble. The boss quad just seems to have this low pitched "gurgle" that I feel interrupts the distinct borla sound. So you end up having two sounds clashing each other.

I might have to go with borla...... What you guys think? I keep going back and forth. Here's the vids I found.

Here's borla s axleback only.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=fsDvOX72sAI&feature=relmfu

Here's borla s axleback plus boss quads

And here's the full borla catback. I think I am leaning towards this more...what you guys think?

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/14/13 at 09:18 PM.
Old 3/14/13, 11:43 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok - to me the full borla sounds too loud and not deep enough.

I love the boss h pipe with the gt500 ab's - let's just say driving around with the windows down gives me a woody.... if I took out the restrictors.................. *bleep*

everything I've heard with borla is they are too raspy, I wanted more bass, more throaty... I'm happy with my setup.

I'll try and get a video this weekend... if I do I'll post it up.

Last edited by Xar; 3/14/13 at 11:45 PM.
Old 3/15/13, 12:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't like rasp. Especially in an American V8..

The H-Pipe is less prone to such unwanted frequencies though. Might look into a Boss system.
Old 3/15/13, 04:03 AM
GT Member

Probably so, but the camera (iPhone) is right under the side exhaust. Overall I don't think it is or it isn't what I expected, I expected a lot more sound out of the setup. Don't get me wrong you can tell when they are open and closed, just wanted more out of it. Flowmaster 40 Series
Old 3/15/13, 04:13 AM
GT Member

Avengd,

Thanks for your posts. After doing a little digging, I found some vids that really showcase the difference. I found a vid that also had a borla s type axleback paired with boss quad. I then compared it to the sound of a full borla s catback system...

Frankly, I think I like the borla s catback better. Compared to just a borla s axleback, the sound is deeper a little bit more open. Compared to the boss quad plus borla, it seems to have a cleaner, more "flowing" distinct burble. The boss quad just seems to have this low pitched "gurgle" that I feel interrupts the distinct borla sound. So you end up having two sounds clashing each other.

I might have to go with borla...... What you guys think? I keep going back and forth. Here's the vids I found.
I think it's a gamble with the side pipes will it be louder or just compliments your current exhaust. As I mentioned in the previous post, I think there is a little more aggressive sound with them, just not louder. I'm also disappointed in my Flowmasters, I had the same set up on my 04 GT and expected the same sound, not...anyway, live and learn. Thanks.
Old 3/15/13, 05:16 AM
Bullitt Member

I think it's a gamble with the side pipes will it be louder or just compliments your current exhaust. As I mentioned in the previous post, I think there is a little more aggressive sound with them, just not louder. I'm also disappointed in my Flowmasters, I had the same set up on my 04 GT and expected the same sound, not...anyway, live and learn. Thanks.
I don't like super loud, just like u said this system compliments the car more, I guess it gives your current system a surround sound effect to what u currently have. When driving with the windows open, can u hear a slight difference? I know for sure it adds a cool factor at a slow cruise, or when your pulling into a car show.
Old 3/15/13, 05:21 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think the reason you don't notice much of a difference is because you changed the angle of the cut outs. The sound is now hitting the underside of the car instead of bouncing at an angle off the road and out the side of the car.
Old 3/15/13, 05:43 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gtstyles2
I don't like super loud, just like u said this system compliments the car more, I guess it gives your current system a surround sound effect to what u currently have. When driving with the windows open, can u hear a slight difference? I know for sure it adds a cool factor at a slow cruise, or when your pulling into a car show.
Very little change in sound with the windows up. IMO
Old 3/15/13, 05:43 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by conv_stang
I think the reason you don't notice much of a difference is because you changed the angle of the cut outs. The sound is now hitting the underside of the car instead of bouncing at an angle off the road and out the side of the car.
Nope they are angled down towards the ground, but your right they are under the car about 6 inches versus right at the edge. That could be a factor. This is the way the installation is, not from my adjustments.

Last edited by Avengnd; 3/15/13 at 05:48 AM.
Old 3/15/13, 06:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Nope they are angled down towards the ground, but your right they are under the car about 6 inches versus right at the edge. That could be a factor. This is the way the installation is, not from my adjustments.
Ahh...I'm sorry. From your description sounded like you turned them up. Sorry, none of the pics or anything will load on my phone
Old 3/15/13, 08:01 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by conv_stang
Ahh...I'm sorry. From your description sounded like you turned them up. Sorry, none of the pics or anything will load on my phone

No worries.
Old 3/15/13, 09:47 AM
I Have No Life

No worries.
So what are your thoughts? Should I go more borla full catback vs boss h?
Old 3/15/13, 09:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I don't have the boss on mine but have heard a few with the restrictor plates out. And it sounds better in person than on the video for sure. The catback will make it louder out back, where the boss will make it louder by the doors where you can hear it. Wish an aftermarket would come out with a version of the boss with a cat delete, x-pipe configuration and the side pipes. I love the side exhaust on my 98 Cobra because its loud where I can hear it more
Old 3/15/13, 11:36 AM
GT Member

If I knew what mine was going to sound like with the Boss setup, I wouldn't have done it and spent the money on something else. With that said, it's your call man, there are lots of people in this thread that have gone with the Boss setup and are very happy with it. I think some of my problem is that I already didn't like my ab setup from the get go, which I put on over a year ago. See if there is anyone in the area with the Boss setup on a nonBoss and see if you like it in person.
Old 3/15/13, 12:33 PM
I Have No Life

If I knew what mine was going to sound like with the Boss setup, I wouldn't have done it and spent the money on something else. With that said, it's your call man, there are lots of people in this thread that have gone with the Boss setup and are very happy with it. I think some of my problem is that I already didn't like my ab setup from the get go, which I put on over a year ago. See if there is anyone in the area with the Boss setup on a nonBoss and see if you like it in person.
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of Timbuktu, so other 5.0s are pretty scarce, more so modded ones with exhaust.

Did you see the vids I posted above and prior? Which sound do you like better based on that? Esp the boss/borla combo, which mine would be?
Old 3/15/13, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of Timbuktu, so other 5.0s are pretty scarce, more so modded ones with exhaust.

Did you see the vids I posted above and prior? Which sound do you like better based on that? Esp the boss/borla combo, which mine would be?
This is with the Mac setup and qtp cutouts, it shows the difference the Boss pipes make... Hope this helps your decision.

Quick Reply: Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion