Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2014 GT Ford Racing Tune

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/14, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It's no big deal asking questions, man. They can't co-exist, that's reality. They work entirely differently. The Procal rewrites the entire software the engine runs on and has to be run as an entire retune. The TK selectively alters certain settings and you can't alter settings that are a locked part of the PC tune.

The valve timing changes are no doubt to alter the engine braking effect. More overlap, less braking, etc.

The only attractive thing about the TK is the launch control but, based upon the GT500 experience, an experienced set of feet is going to beat that every time.
Old 2/10/14, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LHO
It's no big deal asking questions, man. They can't co-exist, that's reality. They work entirely differently. The Procal rewrites the entire software the engine runs on and has to be run as an entire retune. The TK selectively alters certain settings and you can't alter settings that are a locked part of the PC tune.

The valve timing changes are no doubt to alter the engine braking effect. More overlap, less braking, etc.

The only attractive thing about the TK is the launch control but, based upon the GT500 experience, an experienced set of feet is going to beat that every time.
Well I really appreciate your input. Anything that keeps me from wasting money and doing things twice is always a good thing.
Old 2/10/14, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5LHO
Jeez, is Google disabled on your computer? http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/category_s/523.htm
lol. Googling is becoming a lost art
Old 2/10/14, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
How much are the keys, are they programmed to each specific vehicle by vin#?
Where did you find this info?
I got the one for my Boss from Levittown Ford for $220. Dealer charged one hour ($100) to install.
Old 2/10/14, 03:41 PM
GT Member

Generally sounds positive - I think I just might take the plunge with the Ford tune come spring.
Old 2/10/14, 04:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I think some clarification is in order. First of all, both the ProCal and TracKey tunes are from Ford Racing, likely written by the same programmers. For them to withhold some power-enhancing changes from the TK that are included in the PC would seem to make little sense. If you read carefully you'll notice the PC tune adds up to 16 hp and 7 lbs.ft. of torque on 93 octane. Compared to what? Compared to the standard tune on 87 octane. I had my car dyno tuned at AED. On 91 octane Shaun was able to add 7 hp. I don't think anyone would claim that the PC is a stronger tune than AED. I think the GT comes with a "softer" OE tune than the Boss. Hence the "day and night" difference on a tuned GT vs. the noticeable albeit subtle difference after tuning a Boss. As I mentioned in an earlier post I've had tunes from AED and Steeda and both were excellent (well, the Steeda idle lope tune sucked but their performance tune is fine). As far as I am concerned the TracKey gives away nothing to those tunes in terms of performance but adds tweaks that make the driving experience more enjoyable. Don't underestimate the effect of engine braking. It's like throttle response in reverse. Then there is the lopey idle. No, it doesn't sound like Jon Lund's ghost tune but it does lope enough to shake the car. It also, in some mysterious way, makes the exhaust louder. This is quite apparent when the Boss quad pipes are open. As soon as the engine switches to lopey idle mode there is an immediate increase in volume. Someone mentioned that once you install the PC tune you would never want to go back, so why have two keys? Here is my reasoning. Much like a heroin addict develops tolerance to the opiate, we get used to the way our cars perform, at which time we start looking for a new "fix." What the addict does is check himself into a detox program and allow the tolerance to diminish, after which he once again gets the same high from a weaker dose. I use my standard key to detox from the addictive properties of the TracKey. Then when I switch back it feels faster all over again.
Old 2/10/14, 08:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 65sohc
I think some clarification is in order. First of all, both the ProCal and TracKey tunes are from Ford Racing, likely written by the same programmers. For them to withhold some power-enhancing changes from the TK that are included in the PC would seem to make little sense. If you read carefully you'll notice the PC tune adds up to 16 hp and 7 lbs.ft. of torque on 93 octane. Compared to what? Compared to the standard tune on 87 octane. I had my car dyno tuned at AED. On 91 octane Shaun was able to add 7 hp. I don't think anyone would claim that the PC is a stronger tune than AED. I think the GT comes with a "softer" OE tune than the Boss. Hence the "day and night" difference on a tuned GT vs. the noticeable albeit subtle difference after tuning a Boss. As I mentioned in an earlier post I've had tunes from AED and Steeda and both were excellent (well, the Steeda idle lope tune sucked but their performance tune is fine). As far as I am concerned the TracKey gives away nothing to those tunes in terms of performance but adds tweaks that make the driving experience more enjoyable. Don't underestimate the effect of engine braking. It's like throttle response in reverse. Then there is the lopey idle. No, it doesn't sound like Jon Lund's ghost tune but it does lope enough to shake the car. It also, in some mysterious way, makes the exhaust louder. This is quite apparent when the Boss quad pipes are open. As soon as the engine switches to lopey idle mode there is an immediate increase in volume. Someone mentioned that once you install the PC tune you would never want to go back, so why have two keys? Here is my reasoning. Much like a heroin addict develops tolerance to the opiate, we get used to the way our cars perform, at which time we start looking for a new "fix." What the addict does is check himself into a detox program and allow the tolerance to diminish, after which he once again gets the same high from a weaker dose. I use my standard key to detox from the addictive properties of the TracKey. Then when I switch back it feels faster all over again.
I'm with you on all your points except one. Yes I believe the gt oe tune is "weaker" than the boss. I also agree that the AED tune should be better than the PC (even though I think the gains are flywheel). And I see the advantage to being able to turn it off with different keys.

The disagreement is when you said for FR to withhold some power-enhancing changes from the TK would make little sense. It's not that they withhold it as that they are limited with just a key. The flash changes the full calibration vs the key changing some light features that improve drivability. The key is the same cut remember, so the only difference is the chip that is read by the PCM (also for immobilization). There are only so many parameters you can change this way.

Also keep in mind that you can use the procal tool anytime to go back to stock and then reload the tune again later.

Last edited by typesredline; 2/10/14 at 08:28 PM.
Old 2/11/14, 07:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by typesredline

I'm with you on all your points except one. Yes I believe the gt oe tune is "weaker" than the boss. I also agree that the AED tune should be better than the PC (even though I think the gains are flywheel). And I see the advantage to being able to turn it off with different keys.

The disagreement is when you said for FR to withhold some power-enhancing changes from the TK would make little sense. It's not that they withhold it as that they are limited with just a key. The flash changes the full calibration vs the key changing some light features that improve drivability. The key is the same cut remember, so the only difference is the chip that is read by the PCM (also for immobilization). There are only so many parameters you can change this way.

Also keep in mind that you can use the procal tool anytime to go back to stock and then reload the tune again later.
Ok, does anyone agree the key does not hold any programming ( as far as car calibration information) it is a key that unlocks ( or re-directs) to a memory location within the " dual path PCM" to load a different set of instructions (calibration ). If I am correct on this then it should be able to have all the features of any tune out there if ford want to put them in the program. In the description on the fordpartsdirect website it has so many things listed it is hard to believe it is not doing the same thing as a AED or Procal tune or something very similar. The reason i started to ask so many questions is that they seem to be all doing the same thing. I thought someone could have a Procal or AED tune in one half of the PCM and have the Track key utilize the other half of the PCM. I could be way off here but I would love to hear any thoughts??
Old 2/11/14, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by typesredline

The disagreement is when you said for FR to withhold some power-enhancing changes from the TK would make little sense. It's not that they withhold it as that they are limited with just a key. The flash changes the full calibration vs the key changing some light features that improve drivability. The key is the same cut remember, so the only difference is the chip that is read by the PCM (also for immobilization). There are only so many parameters you can change this way..
I don't think it is the case that the TracKey is limited in the number of changes possible. The parameters that affect output are essentially spark timing, camshaft timing, and fuel management. All those are adjusted in the TracKey, as they are in the ProCal. As a matter of fact Shaun mentioned that the TracKey spark timing was relatively aggressive, more so than what he programmed into my car. The amount of power you can extract from the Mustang and remain 100% legal and free of warranty worries is limited. I was quite happy with my AED tune but curiosity got the better of me so I worked a little overtime to rationalize the expenditure and got the TK. The only way I can tell one tune from the other (TK vs. AED) running up through the gears is an intriguing sudden change in the intake sound starting at about 5000 rpm. It isn't present when using the normal key, nor with either the AED or Steeda tunes. Also it is muffled by the stock air box. I won't pretend I understand what goes into programming these cars, though I do have experience programming standalone aftermarket ecu's, specifically a 94 Supra with methanol injection to the "tune" of 626 rwhp. In any case there is something happening in the TK tune that is not occurring in the others.

I don't mean to pound the drum for the TracKey but from my experience it is a great mod for an otherwise stock car.

Last edited by 65sohc; 2/11/14 at 03:12 PM.
Old 2/12/14, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I don't think anyone is going to know for sure if the track key or procal tune is a better option for there own car until the track key comes out and we can see some real numbers and changes out of the track key!
Until then it is all speculation, that the 2014 GT Track Key will be at all comparable to boss track keys or the procal tune.
Time will tell!
Old 2/15/14, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I think one can speculate pretty reliably when Ford themselves claim 0 power increases for the TK. Who would know better than them? They are pretty free on PR with increase information when it suits them, e.g. the mystery 8 HP boost in the 2013+ cars that no one seems able to document reliably.

We have the evidence already that TK didn't do much on the Boss, either, and that engine is much more capable of absorbing some extra kick than the stock GT.
Old 5/6/14, 10:20 PM
GT Member

resurrecting this thread. You may already know this but here is another possibility for "older" 2013 GTs and track key.

I decided to order the procal tune and not the track key tune. Based on forum members being quite satisfied with the procal.
Old 5/7/14, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is my 2cents. My car came with the Procal tune already on it. I bought the car brand new. Dealership had the car in the showroom with Boss wheels, Ford springs, GT500 exhaust and the Procal tune already installed. My co worker who has a stock 14 GT drove my car and ordered the Procal same day.

I have no other mods and I run 91 (Best we can get here in Cali) I have no pinging at all.

I have not driven a Bama, Steeda, AED, etc tuned car. I know I love how mine drives and I get to keep warranty so I'm happy with it.
Old 5/7/14, 10:21 AM

I have the same setup: GT500 mufflers and Ford Racing Procal tune, along with auto trans. No other mods.

This combination makes for a very civilized daily driver. It just enhances the stock machine. If you race, you should consider a more radical tune, but for me, I'm happy as pie.

Dave
Old 5/12/14, 09:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For the 2013 GTs that are using ProCal tool to get Track Key functionality...it doesn't make sense that Ford Racing would make you choose between two separate tunes. One tune gets you more power, but no launch control,etc. Second tune gives you launch control, etc. but no extra power? It just doesn't make sense, why not sell one tune that has it all?

And it seems like people that have called Ford Racing can't get a straight answer on this. Unfortunately it's gonna have to come down to someone buying this and dyno-testing their car just to find out what should be in the description on Ford Racing's website.
Old 5/16/14, 07:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Wait and see on TK. There was total fail with TK on the Boss but, some claim the GT one will be better, more like PC2. Apparently, some of the holdup was because they needed to engineer a workaround for the 2013 cars IPCs and they are considering working in the 2015 line lock feature.

According to the dragstrip dyno, my PC equipped 2012 car with no other power mods, makes 439 flywheel horsepower so, I'm pretty happy with results like that from a canned 91 octane tune.
Old 5/22/14, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mfc133
For the 2013 GTs that are using ProCal tool to get Track Key functionality...it doesn't make sense that Ford Racing would make you choose between two separate tunes. One tune gets you more power, but no launch control,etc. Second tune gives you launch control, etc. but no extra power? It just doesn't make sense, why not sell one tune that has it all?

And it seems like people that have called Ford Racing can't get a straight answer on this. Unfortunately it's gonna have to come down to someone buying this and dyno-testing their car just to find out what should be in the description on Ford Racing's website.
I emailed fordracingpartsdirect.com and basically got told to stop asking stupid questions:

"Dear Mike,

The Trackey functions DO NOT ADD ANY HP OR TQ. This has been thoroughly discussed on the forums for months."

Yeah sure, the BOSS track key has been thoroughly discussed. The GT track key just came out.

But they did give me the link to the instructions, in which FRPP is actually calling it "Track Cal":
http://fordracingparts.com/trackey/i...tomer_V1.0.pdf
Old 5/22/14, 12:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I love how you have to pay hundreds of dollars for a driveability tune. Shouldn't it come that way from the factory?
Old 5/22/14, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
I love how you have to pay hundreds of dollars for a driveability tune. Shouldn't it come that way from the factory?
I mean it's great that they're offering warranty-friendly tunes, but it just seems like it wasn't thought out very well.

What if you went to Lund, Bama, Steeda, etc for a tune and they said: "Sorry yeah we have all these cool features in our tunes...but you can't have one tune with everything. You have to pick one or the other". That wouldn't go over too well with their customers.
Old 5/22/14, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mfc133
I mean it's great that they're offering warranty-friendly tunes, but it just seems like it wasn't thought out very well.

What if you went to Lund, Bama, Steeda, etc for a tune and they said: "Sorry yeah we have all these cool features in our tunes...but you can't have one tune with everything. You have to pick one or the other". That wouldn't go over too well with their customers.
No but it would be great for business. You would have to buy multiple tunes. Pretty smart business model.

Quick Reply: 2014 GT Ford Racing Tune