Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2014 GT Ford Racing Tune

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/14, 06:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bocefus
highly recommend you slap in the k&n filter. Highly.
Just curious, why? It won't add power and could damage his MAF. Best to leave it out.

Not arguing but I've never heard of k&n killing cars. I've been using them for years with no issues. If k&n filter is bad then why would ford offer it in the Procal package?
Corporate name and long term relationships go a long way. I'm a ford fan through and through. But some people on the boards refuse to believe that ford would ever do anything like a normal business and make money. K&N is a big name and they probably have a deal to be part of the Power Pack. Ford chose that filter vs the aem probably bc it's more recognizable and will lead to more sales.

Also keep in mind that it doesn't kill cars. It clogs the MAF and causes inaccurate readings. I've also seen it clog the iac valve causing surges during idle. Sometimes you can clean it. Other times you need a new one.
Old 2/4/14, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 2/4/14, 07:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Not arguing but I've never heard of k&n killing cars. I've been using them for years with no issues.

If k&n filter is bad then why would ford offer it in the Procal package?
I think it may depend on the car. I has an Audi A4 and it killed several maf on that car. I used it on all my cars before that with no issue. I don't use them on my Mustang because I'd rather be safe than sorry. I second the aem dry filter recommendation. After my mechanic informed me my k&n was the devil, I picked up the aem. Great filter.
Old 2/5/14, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I think it may depend on the car. I has an Audi A4 and it killed several maf on that car. I used it on all my cars before that with no issue. I don't use them on my Mustang because I'd rather be safe than sorry. I second the aem dry filter recommendation. After my mechanic informed me my k&n was the devil, I picked up the aem. Great filter.
thanks
Old 2/5/14, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Timely thread...

I waited 3 hours at the dealership to have the Procal tune installed and wend home with a defective calibrator. What a PITA. They told me that I should have a new one at my door within the next 2 days.
Old 2/5/14, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford racing tunes = Overpriced

Waste of money IMO.
Old 2/5/14, 06:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
Ford racing tunes = Overpriced Waste of money IMO.
While they don't max out power, they do add tremendous drivability improvements. Throttle response and low end tq. And retain a factory warranty (not THE factory warranty but one just as good).

If you have the correct expectations and understand the differences between them it boils down to preference.
Old 2/5/14, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm getting the power pack for my 2014 GT as soon as I get it!
Can't go to wrong with something that keeps your warranty!
If you do have a problem with you MAF from the K&N it should be covered b the warranty!
Just don't over oil it, that's what causes the problems.
Old 2/6/14, 03:46 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
I'm getting the power pack for my 2014 GT as soon as I get it! Can't go to wrong with something that keeps your warranty! If you do have a problem with you MAF from the K&N it should be covered b the warranty! Just don't over oil it, that's what causes the problems.
Read prior posts. Some folks seeing fouled maf sensors right out of box. Owners themselves don't have to oil it to see the error.

Last edited by FromZto5; 2/6/14 at 05:07 AM.
Old 2/6/14, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

TRUE THAT IS WHY I HAVE ALWAYSED CLEANED THEM AND OILED THEM MY SELF.
I HAVE SEEN HUNDEREDS OF CARS COME THROUGH MY SHOP WITH K&N FILTERS THE ONLY ONES THAT HAVE PROBLEM HAVE BEEN OVER OILED AND YES SOMETIMES THEY COME OVER OILED STRAIGHT FROM K&N.
I DO AGREE THE DRY FILTERS ARE NICE BECAUSE YOU CANT EROR IN THE WAY OF OVER OILING, BUT IF YOU OIL PROPERLY THERE WILL NOT BE ANY PROBLEM!
Old 2/6/14, 03:30 PM
Cobra Member

TRUE THAT IS WHY I HAVE ALWAYSED CLEANED THEM AND OILED THEM MY SELF. I HAVE SEEN HUNDEREDS OF CARS COME THROUGH MY SHOP WITH K&N FILTERS THE ONLY ONES THAT HAVE PROBLEM HAVE BEEN OVER OILED AND YES SOMETIMES THEY COME OVER OILED STRAIGHT FROM K&N. I DO AGREE THE DRY FILTERS ARE NICE BECAUSE YOU CANT EROR IN THE WAY OF OVER OILING, BUT IF YOU OIL PROPERLY THERE WILL NOT BE ANY PROBLEM!
Not sure why the all caps...but you're right. If you were to clean and re-oil yourself even on them brand new you could minimize the issue.

The only problem that remains is that the sensitivity to oil varies greatly from car to car. Even re-oiling and using very little, which at the very least is required on that type of gauze. It can still affect some cars maf's.

If the dry flow was triple the price I'd see taking the risk. Since it's not, there is no reason to every use a k&n. Especially when they are the same company (k&n and aem).
Old 2/6/14, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry about the all caps I was at work and my computer was set on all caps!
My only real point is if I get a K&N for free with the power pack why not use it!
Its free and you already have it!
And I do agree if you are buying one and have a choice go with the dry filter there is no way to cause a problem with over oiling!
Old 2/7/14, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Just had the tune installed at the dealer. Very pleased! A very noticeable improvement in low-end torque and reduced RPM hang between shifts. On spirited runs, upshifting puts your back into the seat every time now. Mid range doesn't feel nearly as flat as it did before and the top end is just great. Big seat-of-the-pants difference. The tune is also very smooth at all throttle positions. I have experienced no pinging or RPM surging. It's much easier and smoother than the factory tune, which was decent. Like everyone else mentioned, it's the tune that should've come with the car from the factory.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 2/7/14 at 11:13 AM.
Old 2/7/14, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
Just had the tune installed at the dealer. Very pleased! A very noticeable improvement in low-end torque and reduced RPM hang between shifts. On spirited runs, upshifting puts your back into the seat every time now. Mid range doesn't feel nearly as flat as it did before and the top end is just great. Big seat-of-the-pants difference. The tune is also very smooth at all throttle positions. I have experienced no pinging or RPM surging. It's much easier and smoother than the factory tune, which was decent. Like everyone else mentioned, it's the tune that should've come with the car from the factory.
thanks. I do believe u just convinced me. How long did the dealer take to install?
Old 2/7/14, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks. I do believe u just convinced me. How long did the dealer take to install?
My guy updated me the moment he saw the tuner working (first one was faulty). An hour later it was ready to roll. I didn't notice anything other than faster RPM drop between shifting until 5 minutes or so of driving. By the time I hit my exit, the differences made themselves known. I literally feel as though the motor gained displacement.

I have been led to believe that pinging is an issue on earlier models, but on this 14, I have no evidence of this happening. I'm glad I didn't do this mod first lol. I think that the stock suspension made this car a white-knuckler as it was. This is some of the best money I've spent on a car. I'm generally of the opinion that if you wanted a faster car, you should buy a faster car. This mod is a no-brainer for people with my narrow mindset. People discrediting this tune are probably only interested in peak number gains. This tune puts reliable power where it needs to be under the curve and greatly enhances the driving experience.
Old 2/7/14, 02:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
My guy updated me the moment he saw the tuner working (first one was faulty). An hour later it was ready to roll. I didn't notice anything other than faster RPM drop between shifting until 5 minutes or so of driving. By the time I hit my exit, the differences made themselves known. I literally feel as though the motor gained displacement.

I have been led to believe that pinging is an issue on earlier models, but on this 14, I have no evidence of this happening. I'm glad I didn't do this mod first lol. I think that the stock suspension made this car a white-knuckler as it was. This is some of the best money I've spent on a car. I'm generally of the opinion that if you wanted a faster car, you should buy a faster car. This mod is a no-brainer for people with my narrow mindset. People discrediting this tune are probably only interested in peak number gains. This tune puts reliable power where it needs to be under the curve and greatly enhances the driving experience.
I have to give you credit you do some of the best write ups I read on this sight, well put!
Old 2/7/14, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I have to give you credit you do some of the best write ups I read on this sight, well put!
Ha! I do my best not to let the honeymoon phases of my purchase cycle mislead people. It's easy to get excited with new toys!
Old 2/7/14, 04:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm a little confused. Do the same engine parameters get changed when the race key comes out for the 2014 GT's. if so isn't that a cheaper way to get the same performance gains?? Also I thought the MT-82 was only rated to 400ft.lbs. of torque??
Old 2/7/14, 07:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Having had tunes from AED and Steeda on my Boss I can tell you that on a minimally-modded car the TracKey is more fun. Performance with all three is virtually identical and I expect the ProCal would be the same. It's the other features of the TracKey and the ability to switch back and forth that make it cool.
Old 2/8/14, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

That's what I thought and I think the track key is a cheaper route. Unfortunately ( I think ) you have to fall into the correct build dates to take advantage.

Quick Reply: 2014 GT Ford Racing Tune