Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2014 GT Ford Racing Tune

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/14, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Procal overpriced? $280 for me, threw a $50 at the dealer to install it and get the warranty registered, which is optional, of course but, worth it to me. Turned the car on down low, which was what I really wanted and my full bloat load 2012 car is an 11 second vehicle on this tune. Drag racer math says I'm making 439 flywheel horse to do what I did, on 91 octane. Pulenty or 93 "race" tuned cars that aren't touching that.
Old 2/8/14, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by pminri
I'm a little confused. Do the same engine parameters get changed when the race key comes out for the 2014 GT's. if so isn't that a cheaper way to get the same performance gains?? Also I thought the MT-82 was only rated to 400ft.lbs. of torque??
What race key are you talking about?
I know the 2012 and 2013 boss mustangs have track keys but I have never heard of anything like that for a regular GT.
Also I personally know people putting 500ft lb. at the tires through the MT-82 on their SC cars with no problems!
Old 2/8/14, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

There is a Track Key for mid-14 and up GT 5.0s. The ECM changed and this can be accommodated and is for sale. Doesn't add power but reduces rev hang and a few other things. Frankly, the Procal does this and adds a good little bump in power, with an unmatched warranty so, I don't see the point.

MT82 is physically and design-wise strong enough to withstand quite a bit, more than any previous Mustang GT manual trans. The problem is, and has been, in my view, QC on outsourced parts like bearings.

Last edited by 5LHO; 2/8/14 at 09:04 AM.
Old 2/8/14, 09:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LHO
There is a Track Key for mid-14 and up GT 5.0s. The ECM changed and this can be accommodated and is for sale. Doesn't add power but reduces rev hang and a few other things. Frankly, the Procal does this and adds a good little bump in power, with an unmatched warranty so, I don't see the point. MT82 is physically and design-wise strong enough to withstand quite a bit, more than any previous Mustang GT manual trans. The problem is, and has been, in my view, QC on outsourced parts like bearings.
You don't see the point with the track key? I agree that the procal is a better value. I'm worried about the pinging though. I don't want to buy something and gain a problem or nuisance. What is the story behind the procal ping? Is it limited to model years? Is there a fix for it?
Old 2/8/14, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Procal overpriced? $280 for me, threw a $50 at the dealer to install it and get the warranty registered, which is optional, of course but, worth it to me. Turned the car on down low, which was what I really wanted and my full bloat load 2012 car is an 11 second vehicle on this tune. Drag racer math says I'm making 439 flywheel horse to do what I did, on 91 octane. Pulenty or 93 "race" tuned cars that aren't touching that.
where did u get it for 280. I can't find it lower than 320 ish
Old 2/8/14, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

There is a Track Key for mid-14 and up GT 5.0s. The ECM changed and this can be accommodated and is for sale. Doesn't add power but reduces rev hang and a few other things. Frankly, the Procal does this and adds a good little bump in power, with an unmatched warranty so, I don't see the point.

MT82 is physically and design-wise strong enough to withstand quite a bit, more than any previous Mustang GT manual trans. The problem is, and has been, in my view, QC on outsourced parts like bearings.
I ordered my car, and it will be built in 2 weeks, will mine be available for one of those keys. Can they be bought at any ford dealer how do you get one. What happens if you have a procal tune does it not work with that key?
I have never heard of this, where did you find this information?
Old 2/8/14, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, you can buy one of those keys for your '14, through any Ford dealer that knows you can or aftermarket through retailers like Buyfordracing.com. Kind of pricey for what you get though. Procal tune makes the key no longer work, as it overwrites the factory tune that contains the software for the Track Key.

I got my Procal from them $299 as of today. I got it on sale.

Last edited by 5LHO; 2/8/14 at 12:21 PM.
Old 2/8/14, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

How much are the keys, are they programmed to each specific vehicle by vin#?
Where did you find this info?
Old 2/8/14, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Jeez, is Google disabled on your computer?

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/category_s/523.htm
Old 2/8/14, 04:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the link!
Old 2/8/14, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

The reason I brought this up is because my dealer charges around $800 to put a ford racing tune and cold air kit to produce the extra 16 HP and 60 ft.lbs of torque ( on the low rpm range). I would have thought the GT track key they are now offering ( but every time I check on the Fordracingpartsdirect website it only states "coming soon" and not actually for sale yet). Would be cheaper way to go to get performance gains ( not just horse power / torque. It's very hard to compare any if these options to see which is the best bang for the buck and which one does not screw with your factory warranty.
Old 2/8/14, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's day 2 with the FRPP Tune..

Zero pinging at all. Zero. The car feels beastly now - partially due to the reduced rev hang between gears; once the up-shift occurs and throttle is applied, your get that kick in the pants. Before, the car almost felt like an auto while up-shifting (smooth, linear acceleration).

Second gear will absolutely roast the tires. There is no more 100% throttle on anything under 3K RPMs. I actually have to modulate the throttle, which I think is just awesome. I love dynamics and having more direct access to all this torque is just great. I have not disabled advance trac, but am tempted to see how different "sport" mode is.

My chief concern at this point is traction; in order to take advantage of this tune, I feel I will need to get some stickier shoes. I actually laid two even strips of rubber on an exit road (wide-open, empty intersection in the middle of the closed business district) for the first time in life - off of a closed track. I had no idea I was spinning em until I felt the car starting to rotate a bit. A simple reduction in throttle brought it back in line. Such smooth and quiet break away with this suspension! I need greater traction now. Time to go raid the tire/suspension forum.

Edit: Huge shout-out to 5LHO for your ProCal threads. You pushed me over the edge on this and reading your retorts to guys bashing the tune has been quite amusing! No regrets here for this mod. I'd do it again.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 2/8/14 at 06:40 PM.
Old 2/9/14, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
What is the story behind the procal ping? Is it limited to model years? Is there a fix for it?
Those that have researched the procal more than me, can you answer these for me?

The reason I brought this up is because my dealer charges around $800 to put a ford racing tune and cold air kit to produce the extra 16 HP and 60 ft.lbs of torque ( on the low rpm range). I would have thought the GT track key they are now offering ( but every time I check on the Fordracingpartsdirect website it only states "coming soon" and not actually for sale yet). Would be cheaper way to go to get performance gains ( not just horse power / torque. It's very hard to compare any if these options to see which is the best bang for the buck and which one does not screw with your factory warranty.
From my understanding, the track key changes a lot of parameters to make the car more "track ready" aka throttle response etc. The pro cal does that AND adds power. The down side though is that it can't be "turned off" with a simple change of key.
Old 2/9/14, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
Those that have researched the procal more than me, can you answer these for me?
Every person that has complained about the ping has also done other mods CAI, headers, full exhaust, etc., I have not heard of any one that did just the power pack, (GT500 mufflers, drop in AF, and procal tuner) that had a ping problem.
Old 2/9/14, 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
Every person that has complained about the ping has also done other mods CAI, headers, full exhaust, etc., I have not heard of any one that did just the power pack, (GT500 mufflers, drop in AF, and procal tuner) that had a ping problem.
Awesome. That's good to know. I'd love to do it but don't want to create problems.
Old 2/9/14, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

The tune does require good gas. Real 91+ needs to be available in your area. The tune does push timing moderately hard, that's why it's so strong off the bottom, compared to the slushy stocker set up for 87. Datalog tells me WOT total timing hits about 25-27 degrees max, btdc. This isn't crazy on a Coyote but it is fairly strong for 91 octane.

I have had to, once or twice in the last couple year, do a profile relearn on the tune. That deals with any light rattle I've had on upshift. Takes 2 minutes with the PC box in the driveway. I have never set the octane adjust to on.

This tune is a screaming deal by itself, or with the GT500 mufflers. I bought the 500s separately and saved some money over the package price. I wouldn't waste money on a CAI on this car unless boosted or very seriously bolt-on N/A.

I can't argue with a 27 flywheel horsepower gain, on 91 octane fuel, verified by dragstrip dyno. My particular car loves this tune, for sure. I'm at 11.91 at 115 on a full weight loaded Premium car here, with a slick tire.

Track Key does change a lot of engine feel parameters, FBW throttle settings, TI-VCT overlap, etc. but, it adds no power and is pricey. Estimated retail, $400, from what I have heard.

Nobody who runs the Procal will ever want to turn it off and go stock tune again, that's for sure.

...and, oh yeah, the warranty support for PC is second-to-none in the industry. Picks up the remainder of your PT B2B and covers the entire powertrain, if the tune breaks something. It doesn't affect any other aspect of the Ford warranty in its documentation. I paid a Ford store $50 to install the tune so I could register the warranty, as I can't afford to blow a $6000+ engine on my DD. This made it the only tuning option for me.

Last edited by 5LHO; 2/9/14 at 12:11 PM.
Old 2/9/14, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Do you know of anyone with the track key for the GT? I'm not even sure it is available yet. Your Procal tune seems impressive and I'm trying to figure out which is better. I don't mind spending the money on a tune or key but I would like to keep the best warranty / performance ratio if there is such a thing.
Old 2/9/14, 01:08 PM
Cobra Member

Do you know of anyone with the track key for the GT? I'm not even sure it is available yet. Your Procal tune seems impressive and I'm trying to figure out which is better. I don't mind spending the money on a tune or key but I would like to keep the best warranty / performance ratio if there is such a thing.
Warranty on the key or cal should be the same.
Old 2/9/14, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Want a warranty : performance ratio? The Procal is the only choice. It actually adds measurable performance and maintains equivalent to stock warranty coverage. TK keeps the warranty but adds no performance.

Trust me that driving the car on Procal is a transformative experience. The stock tune is so marshmallow creme soft putting around that the car feels a bit sick. The Procal makes it feel like a proper V8 musclecar.
Old 2/9/14, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Want a warranty : performance ratio? The Procal is the only choice. It actually adds measurable performance and maintains equivalent to stock warranty coverage. TK keeps the warranty but adds no performance.

Trust me that driving the car on Procal is a transformative experience. The stock tune is so marshmallow creme soft putting around that the car feels a bit sick. The Procal makes it feel like a proper V8 musclecar.
Ok, I'm not trying to be a pain in the A**, and I hear what you are saying; and I totally believe you, but what could the track key offer that the Procal is not offering, as far as performance goes?. ( I understand the breaking, rpm launch features etc.) but the track key description mentions valve timing changes ( no description though). It seems to me the Procal and track key would make a great combination ( if they could co-exist. Please also keep in mind I'm not stuck on the track key but trying to understand the differences. The Procal sounds pretty awesome as you describe it.

Quick Reply: 2014 GT Ford Racing Tune