Notices
Sterling Gray Sterling Gray 2010+ Mustangs

The one and only GABE's '13 GT Build Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12/21/15, 04:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 540 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
That's a work of art!
Yup, sure is!

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Gabe !

After you lowered your GT, by any chance did you encounter any front alignment issues ? My reason for asking.. I also have the Koni adj yellow struts along with GT500 strut mounts and Eibach pro kit springs..

However after having my front alignment checked, I was informed that my camber was off and was then recommended to look into either getting caster/camber plates or a pair of camber bolts, so I went ahead and had a pair of Eibach camber bolts installed, then had the front alignment re-checked at the dealership only to find out the camber is still off by just under one degree..

As for the Eibach camber bolts, they're already maxed out and cannot be adjusted any further.. Therefore I may have to upgrade either to caster/camber plates as an alternative or consider looking into BMR camber bolts that are from my understanding adjustable up to 2 degrees + - camber over my current Eibach bolts which are only adjustable up to 1.75 degrees + - of camber..

Anyway once again, just wanted to find out if you experienced any similar type of alignment issues And btw: Your 13 GT is awesome..

-Rocky
Thanks Rocky ... if I remember right I'm at about -1.7 degrees of camber, slightly out of spec but no weird tire wear, and good handling, so I'm OK with things as is, no wish to do camber plates anytime soon
Old 12/21/15, 06:09 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,618 Posts
So are you at - 1.7 degrees of camber with the factory bolts or did you upgrade to either Eibach or BMR camber bolts Gabe ? If your at -1.7 degrees with the stock bolts, your still pretty much within factory specs and don't really need to upgrade to either caster/camber plates or camber bolts anyhow
Old 12/21/15, 06:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I'm on H&R Supersports with Eibach camber bolts and running -1.5 up front. From my experience, it's a good setup for street driving. I think they're maxed at -1.7
Old 12/21/15, 07:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So are you at - 1.7 degrees of camber with the factory bolts or did you upgrade to either Eibach or BMR camber bolts Gabe ? If your at -1.7 degrees with the stock bolts, your still pretty much within factory specs and don't really need to upgrade to either caster/camber plates or camber bolts anyhow
Factory bolts, GT500 mounts.

I despise Eibach after 3 of the 4 springs I had on my '07 Charger broke, badly rusted, left-rear spring broken in 3 pieces.
Lost faith in the company, and purposely bought Steeda springs since all my research found that Eibach doesn't make them for Steeda.
Old 12/21/15, 07:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm not an Eibach fan either. Just happened to get the bolts with my springs. When I get my bags on, they're going bye bye.
Old 12/22/15, 12:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
Both cans installed:

And a "before" pic, just in case someone wants to see it:

Do you have a coolant leak? Looking at the thermostat housing you can see the rosy color coming off of it. Maybe it is just the way the light is reflecting through the secondary tank or maybe it is just me.
Old 12/22/15, 02:13 PM

Factory bolts, GT500 mounts.

I despise Eibach after 3 of the 4 springs I had on my '07 Charger broke, badly rusted, left-rear spring broken in 3 pieces.
Lost faith in the company, and purposely bought Steeda springs since all my research found that Eibach doesn't make them for Steeda.
Gabe ! I was really shocked after reading that 3 of the 4 Eibach springs broke on you and even more so about the left rear broken in 3 places WOW !!!!

Anyhow I don't blame you in the least bit for losing faith in Eibach as somebody could had been seriously injured or even worse in the event of the spring failures causing a major accident..

What I don't quite understand however is this.. Shouldn't had Eibach replaced those faulty springs under their one million mile warranty policy ?

As it's more than obvious that 3 of those 4 springs definitely fall under the manufacture's defect category.. At any rate, I hope you did file a warranty claim with Eibach and also hope they backed your claim, otherwise I'd be filing a lawsuit to say the very least..

All I can say is.. Despite after 8 years with none of the spring related issues in which you unfortunately went through, I can certainly understand your reasons for losing faith with Eibach and hope for their sake they've taken every single step in reassuring the public that the defects in question have since been addressed and won't happen again in the future

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/22/15 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12/22/15, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'm on H&R Supersports with Eibach camber bolts and running -1.5 up front. From my experience, it's a good setup for street driving. I think they're maxed at -1.7
Patrick and Gabe !

If I'm reading my print out accurately ? it appears both my left and right front camber is at -1.1 degrees with both the Koni adj yellow struts and Eibach camber bolts at the max adj settings..

From what my Ford tech said.. Although my camber is within Ford factory specs, he recommends that an additional 2 degrees are required in order to have an optimal front end alignment in his opinion

My other alignment specs are..

Left and Right front caster: 7.4 degrees

Left front toe: 0.03 degrees

Right front toe: 0.09 degrees

Front total toe: 0.12 degrees

Front steer ahead: -0.03 degrees
Old 12/22/15, 05:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ford20
Do you have a coolant leak? Looking at the thermostat housing you can see the rosy color coming off of it. Maybe it is just the way the light is reflecting through the secondary tank or maybe it is just me.
It must've been just the way the color reflected, no coolant leak.

Gabe ! I was really shocked after reading that 3 of the 4 Eibach springs broke on you and even more so about the left rear broken in 3 places WOW !!!!

Anyhow I don't blame you in the least bit for losing faith in Eibach as somebody could had been seriously injured or even worse in the event of the spring failures causing a major accident..

What I don't quite understand however is this.. Shouldn't had Eibach replaced those faulty springs under their one million mile warranty policy ?

As it's more than obvious that 3 of those 4 springs definitely fall under the manufacture's defect category.. At any rate, I hope you did file a warranty claim with Eibach and also hope they backed your claim, otherwise I'd be filing a lawsuit to say the very least..

All I can say is.. Despite after 8 years with none of the spring related issues in which you unfortunately went through, I can certainly understand your reasons for losing faith with Eibach and hope for their sake they've taken every single step in reassuring the public that the defects in question have since been addressed and won't happen again in the future
Thought about asking for a complete new set, but I assumed they were gonna ask me to send them the springs I had with me paying for the shipping (something I wasn't willing to do), and that they would only replace the 3 broken ones.
Never contacted them.

I threw the springs in the trash.

Patrick and Gabe !

If I'm reading my print out accurately ? it appears both my left and right front camber is at -1.1 degrees with both the Koni adj yellow struts and Eibach camber bolts at the max adj settings..

From what my Ford tech said.. Although my camber is within Ford factory specs, he recommends that an additional 2 degrees are required in order to have an optimal front end alignment in his opinion

My other alignment specs are..

Left and Right front caster: 7.4 degrees

Left front toe: 0.03 degrees

Right front toe: 0.09 degrees

Front total toe: 0.12 degrees

Front steer ahead: -0.03 degrees
Not sure about the other settings, but the camber should be just fine at -1.1

A more negative number (like my -1.7) means the tops of the tires angle inward more, kinda like this: / \ which means better handling but too much negative camber will kill the tires from the uneven wear.
Old 12/22/15, 06:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No way you should be running -3.1* on a street car. That's extreme camber. -1.1 is fine, though like I said, somewhere around -1.5 to -1.7 is ideal for better handling, with no additional tire wear. Once you'd get to -2, you'll notice edge wear a lot faster.
Old 12/22/15, 08:05 PM

Thought about asking for a complete new set, but I assumed they were gonna ask me to send them the springs I had with me paying for the shipping (something I wasn't willing to do), and that they would only replace the 3 broken ones.
Never contacted them.

I threw the springs in the trash.
Gabe ! Your assumption would had been correct, as Eibach would've indeed required you send them back the defective springs in order to investigate what caused them to fail before processing your claim and then who knows how long it would take before getting your new replacements..

So once again, I don't blame you one bit for losing faith with Eibach after everything you went through.. As I could totally understand if just one of those springs were defective, but 3 out of 4 is totally unacceptable in which not only would I had contacted them to voice my anger, but would also demand a complete new set at their expense or issue a total refund..

At any rate, now that you've brought this to my attention, I'll be looking at either Steeda or BMR for my next set of springs..

Not sure about the other settings, but the camber should be just fine at -1.1

A more negative number (like my -1.7) means the tops of the tires angle inward more, kinda like this: / \ which means better handling but too much negative camber will kill the tires from the uneven wear.
Unless I misunderstood what my Ford tech said.. I have no idea why he would recommend another - 2 degrees of camber to be considered as an optimal front alignment
Old 12/22/15, 08:18 PM

No way you should be running -3.1* on a street car. That's extreme camber. -1.1 is fine, though like I said, somewhere around -1.5 to -1.7 is ideal for better handling, with no additional tire wear. Once you'd get to -2, you'll notice edge wear a lot faster.
Perhaps I misunderstood what the Ford tech said Patrick.. Maybe he meant an additional - 0.2/-0.5 degrees of camber to be considered as an optimal spec measurement
Old 12/22/15, 08:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah I can see the tech recommending another .2 degrees but not another 2 degrees

And as far as my broken Eibachs ...

Name:  2011_5-21_brkn-Eibach2.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  117.4 KB

Name:  2011_5-21_brkn-Eibach1.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  2010_11-28_broken-Eibach1.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  99.4 KB

Name:  2011_5-21_brkn-Eibach5.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  86.8 KB
Old 12/22/15, 10:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Perhaps I misunderstood what the Ford tech said Patrick.. Maybe he meant an additional - 0.2/-0.5 degrees of camber to be considered as an optimal spec measurement
That makes more sense...
Old 12/22/15, 11:12 PM

Yeah I can see the tech recommending another .2 degrees but not another 2 degrees

And as far as my broken Eibachs ...

Gabe ! I am really tempted to show your pics to Eibach and as I said earlier, when it comes to nearly a complete set breaking.. This in my opinion is just unacceptable in which Eibach needs to take full responsibility by standing by their products and address these defect issues before somebody ends up getting either seriously injured or killed
Old 12/22/15, 11:22 PM

That makes more sense...
Same here Patrick.. In the meantime, I'll just have the directional arrows on the GT500 strut mounts turned in more towards the engine and hopefully that will provide the additional .2 degrees required, otherwise I'll just stick with -1.1 camber as is
Old 12/23/15, 12:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Wait is he suggesting +0.2 or -0.2...as in, a final camber of -0.9 to -1.0 or a final camber of -1.3 to -1.5?

If he's suggesting to get to 0.9-1.0, don't even worry about it at all.
Old 12/23/15, 10:53 AM

Wait is he suggesting +0.2 or -0.2...as in, a final camber of -0.9 to -1.0 or a final camber of -1.3 to -1.5?

If he's suggesting to get to 0.9-1.0, don't even worry about it at all.
I'm not really sure Patrick ! I believe he's suggesting another -0.2 as he said -1.1 is within Ford factory specs, but in his opinion -1.1 isn't considered as quite optimal enough in his opinion.. He also mentioned the Eibach camber bolts are already maxed out as far as they can go and can't be adjusted out any further.. So I assume he's also referring to a final camber of -1.3 to -1.5

What I do know for certain, is the print out sheet on the bottom for recommended procedure has: No adjustments are required..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/23/15 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12/23/15, 02:39 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,204 Posts
BMR > Eibach.
Any day, all day.
Old 12/25/15, 08:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, some unfortunate developments yesterday.

I tried to drive it to work yesterday, it didn't want to go there apparently.

On the highway, cruising along, started hearing a rattling noise from under the car, banging noises when slowing down, any gear, any speed.
Engine still running fine, trans shifting OK and feeling OK.
Pull over, don't see anything dragging under the car, no parts on the ground.
Try to putt-putt it back home, quickly becoming late for work, stopped at a local shop to have them put it up in the air, hoping it's just something loose like a trans mount or driveshaft safety loop, everything looked tight, but the driveshaft was making some interesting noises:

So I spent this morning putting the car up on jack stands and trying to remove the DSS driveshaft, come to find out I don't have the 8mm allen-head sockets I need to remove the rear bolts.
Allen wrench I have, but don't have enough leverage under there to use it

One more video, showing the in-car experience, clanging/rattling/banging noises heard from under the car:

Quick Reply: The one and only GABE's '13 GT Build Thread!