Ford Shelby GT500KR ‘King Of The Road’ Returns in 2008

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/07, 10:28 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xlch59
Z06 are for old men who just want to look cool in a Vette IMHO.
Emphasis on "IMHO."

I haven't seen one "old man" yet driving a Z06.

And just for ***** and giggles, I can't wait till a Z06 owner "tries you." If he/she has any driving skill whatsoever, you will be in for a rude awakening.
Old 4/3/07, 11:08 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1, Unless you can spank a Ford GT. IMHO, these cars have the hardest-working 500(+)HP in the business.
Old 4/4/07, 06:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

The way Ford is heading no one will be "Driving a Ford lately" soon. They lost more market share, along with the other of the "Big 3" clowns.
Old 4/4/07, 09:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by LBJay
One in blue please...
Love it! I'll take one like that as well.
Old 4/4/07, 09:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Webba
The way Ford is heading no one will be "Driving a Ford lately" soon. They lost more market share, along with the other of the "Big 3" clowns.
Wow, I thought we had enough doomsayers on here already. Perhaps it would be worth mentioning that sales of the Fusion, MkX, Edge, MkZ, Escape, and virtually every new or nearly new model for that matter improved on a percentage basis to the tune of double digits compared to last years numbers or, for those cars that weren't available last year, near the top in their respective segments?

It also might be worth mentioning that Ford's overall sales drop was surprisingly small considering the loss of the old Taurus which was moving in rather large numbers at this time last year. Likwise, it might be worth mentioning the the F-Series is holding it's own, and doing surprisingly well in fact, despite a slew of new competition for the F150 and production delays for the new Super Duty.

Just a thought.
Old 4/4/07, 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

while I'm dreaming, I'll take one in plain black...
Attached Thumbnails Ford Shelby GT500KR ‘King Of The Road’ Returns in 2008-gt500kr-stripe-delete2.jpg   Ford Shelby GT500KR ‘King Of The Road’ Returns in 2008-gt500kr.jpg  
Old 4/4/07, 11:49 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Oooo, I like that. I'll take on in Alloy, no stripes!
Old 4/4/07, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jayguy
Oooo, I like that. I'll take on in Alloy, no stripes!
Here's an alloy, dark gray, steel, whichever color you choose, created by 68PonyFever.
Attached Thumbnails Ford Shelby GT500KR ‘King Of The Road’ Returns in 2008-70077652yt2.jpg  
Old 4/4/07, 07:46 PM

I have had two C6 Z06 pull over and wave me by. One burned them off in front of me then led me up to the freeway only to pull over just before the on-ramp. I even had the wife in the car that day we both said what the heck is with that. Don't think every Shelby is a stock and just for collectors. Whipple does make a 3.3 blower and KB a 2.8 for the 5.4 and these car will do 10s trust me. In the California bay area almost every Z06 I see is driven by a gray haired man on a cell phone. They may beat me on a road course but it's all fun. As far as the Ford GT I have only seen one on the road and he was on the cell in the slow lane? My point is that these car do handle well and we asked Ford for more cubes and they gave it to us. I don't care how great the Z06 is it's still a just a chevy
Old 4/4/07, 07:57 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by xlch59
I don't care how great the Z06 is it's still a just a chevy
And the Shelby GT500 is just a Ford.
Old 4/5/07, 08:49 AM

Hi

You go xlch59!!!!!!

We all know that chevys are chevys. Look at it this way.

GT500 45-60k ZO6 55-85k
The gt500 is the most reasonable choice. Plus you dont have to worry about getting beat by someone on the street in a gt500 because you can still buy parts for it at any ford racing retailer in the country.

So im going to stick with my black gt and wait for the gt500 and gt500kr prices to fall and then i will by one.
oh and can someone do the gt500kr in black with red racing stripes?

HMS
Old 4/5/07, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah for the $10K price difference (realistically) between a GT500 and a Z06, the Z06 is a better car (if uglier) and a better deal and if you can afford a $60K car, you can afford 10 more.
Old 4/5/07, 09:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Every_Mn
Yeah for the $10K price difference (realistically) between a GT500 and a Z06, the Z06 is a better car (if uglier)
Now that I'll argue with. The Z06 is a faster car, but better is a relative term. The GT500 is a far more comfortable car than even a standard Vette. It possesses better seats, a more realistic driving position for a daily ride, and better ride quality. The distance only increases with the Z06, compared to which the GT500 apparently has a huge advantage in ride quality and NVH characterisitics. In fact, the rapid death of ADM's on the Z06, and the surpising availability of used C6 Z06 Vettes, has been credited to the fact that it doesn't make a particularly good daily ride. The GT500KR seems unlikely to change any of that even with the handling improvements we know are coming.

Originally Posted by Every_Mn
and a better deal and if you can afford a $60K car, you can afford 10 more.
The difference seems likely to be more like 15k before ADM's and that is no small chunk of change. Not to mention there are more than a few folks who would drop 55k on a car which makes a practical and relatively comfortable daily driver that won't consider dropping 70k on a car which is, in reality, more of a weekend toy than a daily driver.
Old 4/6/07, 10:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
And the Shelby GT500 is just a Ford.
And an overpriced Ford at that.

Sorry, but GM's LSX engines trump Ford's Modular lineup. Ford needs to supercharge their Modular engines to match Chevy's N/A beast.
Old 4/6/07, 11:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
Wow, I thought we had enough doomsayers on here already. Perhaps it would be worth mentioning that sales of the Fusion, MkX, Edge, MkZ, Escape, and virtually every new or nearly new model for that matter improved on a percentage basis to the tune of double digits compared to last years numbers or, for those cars that weren't available last year, near the top in their respective segments?

It also might be worth mentioning that Ford's overall sales drop was surprisingly small considering the loss of the old Taurus which was moving in rather large numbers at this time last year. Likwise, it might be worth mentioning the the F-Series is holding it's own, and doing surprisingly well in fact, despite a slew of new competition for the F150 and production delays for the new Super Duty.

Just a thought.
Your thoughts are great, but Wall Street nor any of the public financials jive with what they've brainwashed you with. Ford is screwed and it's going to take some rapid change to reverse the loss that Ford has seen. My take on it is that Ford will continue to lose market share until they start to build relevant products that consumers actually want. Can Ford do that? Let's wait and see. Ford is too stubborn to bring amazing products in overseas markets that would be true hits here in the US. Yesterday, it was announed that Mullaly made 39 million in his first 4 months. That there is a sign of how backwards Ford is. I often wonder if the company is being run by monkeys.
Old 4/7/07, 04:11 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Ford is screwed...
You make that sound like it's a foregone conclusion. I don't think we're there yet.

...and it's going to take some rapid change to reverse the loss that Ford has seen.
True. But Fusion and Edge are doing well in their respective market segments, and the Flex looks to me like it will be a big hit, particularly if fit & finish are as good as what was just shown in New York. The interior was a HUGE step above anything we've seen from the Blue Oval in a long, long time...perhaps ever.

Mazda's 2-series car (the basis for Ford's new subcompact) will make a terrific B-segment vehicle that is far more appealing than Fit or Yaris.

What Ford really needs, is to get those products to market, ASAP...along with a truly appealing full-size sedan.

My take on it is that Ford will continue to lose market share until they start to build relevant products that consumers actually want. Can Ford do that? Let's wait and see.
The next 24 months are absolutely critical.

Ford is too stubborn to bring amazing products in overseas markets that would be true hits here in the US.
Not sure about that yet. There are rumblings in that direction.

Yesterday, it was announed that Mullaly made 39 million in his first 4 months. That there is a sign of how backwards Ford is. I often wonder if the company is being run by monkeys.
I believe ALL corporate CEOs get way too much money per year in our North American capitalistic society, frankly.

To be completely fair, however, some of that money Mulally received is accounted for by the early buyout Ford had to pay to lure him away from Boeing before his term with that company was up; and some of that money is represented by stock options, too - which means nothing unless he can get the company to perform.
Old 4/7/07, 06:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Lets face it Mullaly is the last head of Ford if he is not on track. I would say rally behind this leader because it could be the last one. If he fails we can talk about him. If not he will be a hero. I believe if he fails there will be no time for anyone else so lets hope he is right. If not one of the greatest all time American icons will be gone forever. I have been a life long Ford guy. For the last 20 years I have been waiting for excitement at Ford. Ever since the Lincoln Town Car was allowed to go dormet I knew they were in trouble. For those younger guys, the Lincoln Town Car and Mark (1972-1989) were everywhere like a Taurus or Crown Vic. They were the leaders in luxury. Every Limo was a TC. The Mustang was always strong as was the F150. The Crown Vic was left to go dormet as well. How many products can you keep producing without investing in them. Only the VW beetle did that and got away with that. But even that had its day. I hope Ford makes it through these times. If not it will be a very, very sad day.
Old 4/7/07, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

You make that sound like it's a foregone conclusion. I don't think we're there yet.
It's not a foregone conclusion, but it's a very plausible scenario. The N/A operation needs to turn around quickly before bankruptcy settles in.

True. But Fusion and Edge are doing well in their respective market segments, and the Flex looks to me like it will be a big hit, particularly if fit & finish are as good as what was just shown in New York. The interior was a HUGE step above anything we've seen from the Blue Oval in a long, long time...perhaps ever.

Mazda's 2-series car (the basis for Ford's new subcompact) will make a terrific B-segment vehicle that is far more appealing than Fit or Yaris.

What Ford really needs, is to get those products to market, ASAP...along with a truly appealing full-size sedan.
The Fusion and Edge seem to be decent products. Ford cannot afford to sell "decent" products. They need products that meet or exceed Toyota and Honda's offerings. This isn't the case.

In regards to the Flex, it looks like a box but the interior does look nice in the pictures. I bet in person though, it will still have shortcomings.

The next 24 months are absolutely critical.
I agree.

Not sure about that yet. There are rumblings in that direction.
This is a not brainer. It should have been done a LONG time ago. Notice what Lutz is doing with the Saturn brand?

I believe ALL corporate CEOs get way too much money per year in our North American capitalistic society, frankly.

To be completely fair, however, some of that money Mulally received is accounted for by the early buyout Ford had to pay to lure him away from Boeing before his term with that company was up; and some of that money is represented by stock options, too - which means nothing unless he can get the company to perform.
CEO's do get paid too much. Ford is paying Mulally WAY too much. I am all for compensation, but make it based on pre-determined goals. I personally think ultimately he will be there for a year or two and leave with little accomplished. He isn't a "car guy" and that's what Ford needs.
Old 4/7/07, 02:40 PM
Closet American

It's not a foregone conclusion, but it's a very plausible scenario. The N/A operation needs to turn around quickly before bankruptcy settles in.

The Fusion and Edge seem to be decent products. Ford cannot afford to sell "decent" products. They need products that meet or exceed Toyota and Honda's offerings. This isn't the case.

In regards to the Flex, it looks like a box but the interior does look nice in the pictures. I bet in person though, it will still have shortcomings.

I agree.

This is a not brainer. It should have been done a LONG time ago. Notice what Lutz is doing with the Saturn brand?

CEO's do get paid too much. Ford is paying Mulally WAY too much. I am all for compensation, but make it based on pre-determined goals. I personally think ultimately he will be there for a year or two and leave with little accomplished. He isn't a "car guy" and that's what Ford needs.
You REALLY sound down on this whole scenario. I guess I would just advise you to hang on to your Stang - and keep in as good shape as you can - because if Ford goes under, then years from now GTs in fine shape can only go up in value.

Old 4/7/07, 03:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

You REALLY sound down on this whole scenario. I guess I would just advise you to hang on to your Stang - and keep in as good shape as you can - because if Ford goes under, then years from now GTs in fine shape can only go up in value.

I hope that never happens because it would really hurt our economy. I am really pulling for Ford, but I tend to be a realist.

Ford can really help its lineup by bring stateside the Euro Focus and Modeno. Like you stated above, Ford needs a large RWD sedan. Ford also needs to redesign the Ranger and offer a smaller displacement Diesel in all SUVs/Trucks. A hybrid small truck and F150 would create a lot of buzz for the company. These products SHOULD be out now. Lastly, Ford needs to continue to make huge steps in terms of interior quality. That's a really quick summary, but it's pretty simple as well.

Quick Reply: Ford Shelby GT500KR ‘King Of The Road’ Returns in 2008