Ford Shelby GT500KR ‘King Of The Road’ Returns in 2008

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/07 | 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

That's a nice hood. Unfortunatley if it's made by Shelby, they probably won't offer it for sale, same as the Shelby GT hood scoop and emblems, because they don't want people to "clone" their precious limited edition mustangs.
Old 3/31/07 | 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Is this the car under the Ford car cover at Barrett Jackson in Tampa?
They said the mystery car was going to auction today and Carroll was coming in to lower the gavell.....They mentioned Ford was making only 500 of whatever car is under the cover.....maybe they misquoted the number....The outline of the car cover looks very 'Mustang' like.

hags1
Old 3/31/07 | 10:32 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

I'm guessing (based on what I've read on the internet) that the one at Barrett Jackson is a convertible GT-H.

500 is the same number as the GT-H coupe.
Old 3/31/07 | 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
I'm guessing (based on what I've read on the internet) that the one at Barrett Jackson is a convertible GT-H.

500 is the same number as the GT-H coupe.
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

Sometimes I think Ford is just getting away with what they can before the new GM and MOPAR competition hits the streets. Once that happens and we see the new engine arcitecture, things will indeed get interesting.
Right now they are riding the Shelby frenzy for all it is worth.
The Shelby/Ford alliance isnt going away.
Old 3/31/07 | 12:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
How right you are!......The Ford execs better come down out of their Ivory Tower and smell the exhaust fumes! because when the retro Camero comes out in 09 they'll remember how baby boomer's liked them too!......Thats when the show will get interesting....
I seem to recall the track record is that Mustang Sales routinely bend Camaro sales over a chair. Besides which he upper end SE mustangs might be pricey, but GTs are still real bargins, and the Mustang aftermarket's got a huge lead on the competition.
Old 3/31/07 | 12:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
I seem to recall the track record is that Mustang Sales routinely bend Camaro sales over a chair. Besides which he upper end SE mustangs might be pricey, but GTs are still real bargins, and the Mustang aftermarket's got a huge lead on the competition.
The competition has a huge lead in product though. GM's LS2 is a much more powerful engine that has a ton of N/A potential. Ford is behind GM and Chrysler in powertrains. GM has some really great platforms that incorporate IRS rears. GM is also learning how to build interiors that are equal to the import competition. GM has a pretty strong pulse today and Ford is near flat lining.

The problem with Ford is they really have no clue what the consumer wants. A quick look at their core products easily validates that. I am really pulling for Ford, but they really need a home run. Right now they are a company that is in crisis mode and should be focusing all efforts on their core products that sell in quantity, not cars with production runs of 1000. I know that's hard for a performance guy to swallow, but it's either sink or swim with Ford right now.
Old 3/31/07 | 03:29 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by max2000jp
The competition has a huge lead in product though. GM's LS2 is a much more powerful engine that has a ton of N/A potential. Ford is behind GM and Chrysler in powertrains.
GM has a huge lead, it's true. But Chrysler is much closer to flat lining than Ford. And Chrysler powertrains are notoriously unreliable.

GM has some really great platforms that incorporate IRS rears. GM is also learning how to build interiors that are equal to the import competition.
Agreed. The new global zeta platform is da bomb; good enough to compete with the best from BMW, in fact. And you're right, GM is making huge strides with its interiors, although having sat in an Acadia recently, I was less than impressed with the "feel" of the plastics and switchgear, even though the "look" was improved.

GM has a pretty strong pulse today and Ford is near flat lining.
Not yet, they don't. GM lost money again in 2006. They're not out of the woods yet...though I agree they are way ahead of Ford right now.

The problem with Ford is they really have no clue what the consumer wants. A quick look at their core products easily validates that. I am really pulling for Ford, but they really need a home run. Right now they are a company that is in crisis mode and should be focusing all efforts on their core products that sell in quantity, not cars with production runs of 1000. I know that's hard for a performance guy to swallow, but it's either sink or swim with Ford right now.
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. They're doing what they always do, focusing 100% of their efforts on the one product that is generating enthusiasm from the public, while allowing other vehicles in the lineup to languish.

I think this post sums it up best.

What that tells me is that too many of the "old guard" are still operating with their "business as usual" philosophy at Ford, and that Mulally hasn't dealt with them yet...assuming he ever will.
Old 3/31/07 | 03:41 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Over on Edmunds, a "Ford executive" was quoted as saying the following >> "Baby boomers have no ceiling when it comes to Mustang pricing ... They have an insatiable appetite for Mustang."

I seem to recall those same genius execs saying something similar about big SUVs a few years ago.

Seems the more things change, the more they stay the same.
It's that same arrogance that got Ford into the dire straights it's in now.

With that sort of continued arrogance there is no hope, Ford will not survive.
Old 3/31/07 | 06:17 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

I would guess the GT500KR would follow the GT-H and Shelby GT footsteps and be modified at Las Vegas, if so the MSRP would be in the mid to high $50K. Which leads me to believe that if it is straight from Ford it will command big bucks, if Shelby Autos is involved the GT500KR might find itself in the same predicament as the Shelby GT.
Old 3/31/07 | 08:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
I would guess the GT500KR would follow the GT-H and Shelby GT footsteps and be modified at Las Vegas, if so the MSRP would be in the mid to high $50K. Which leads me to believe that if it is straight from Ford it will command big bucks, if Shelby Autos is involved the GT500KR might find itself in the same predicament as the Shelby GT.
And what predicament is that?
Old 3/31/07 | 08:19 PM

The Shelby GTs are in conservative demand and selling for MSRP. There is no over night camping for them.
Old 3/31/07 | 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eci
This will affect the value of the current model in a big way imo. It is no longer "top dog".
The higher price of the GT500 has substantially raised the resale of 03/04 cobras.
Old 3/31/07 | 10:00 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

I've seen one Shelby GT on Ebay with a "buy it now" price below it's MSRP.

buy it now: $39,000. It's MSRP is $40,210. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem

And this is not a fluke. Just a few others that are in the upper $30Ks

buy it now: $39,425 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem

buy it now: $39,995 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2...QQcmdZViewItem

buy it now: $39,735 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem

Shelby GTs are just coming out while the GT 500s have been out for half a year longer and are still in the $58K-72K "buy it now" range.

My take is that most folks aren't willing to pay alot for a 19HP increase over a "ordinary" GT. Even if it does have the Shelby name. I do think they look great, and would be proud to own one for $35K.
Old 3/31/07 | 10:07 PM
GT Member

GT500KR?.... I'll take one in LegendLime please.......
Old 3/31/07 | 10:44 PM
Closet American

My take is that most folks aren't willing to pay alot for a 19HP increase over a "ordinary" GT. Even if it does have the Shelby name.
I think that's quickly becoming everyone's take on it.
Old 4/1/07 | 05:33 AM

In the media release it points that the mods will be done by Shelby Autos. In essence, the GT500KR is another version of Shelby's 40th anniversary package. It is safe to assume the KR mods will be in the range of $12 - 13K.
Old 4/1/07 | 07:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

My take is that most folks aren't willing to pay alot for a 19HP increase over a "ordinary" GT. Even if it does have the Shelby name. I do think they look great, and would be proud to own one for $35K.
The KR is not much different. It is a modest power gain above the normal GT500 with suspension mods and a few body pieces. I'm not so sure they will bring the huge dollars. There is a guy over on stangsunleashed that started a thread predicting 175k each (75k MSRP + 1000k ADM). I just don't see either one of those happening (aside from Ron Pratte's).
Old 4/1/07 | 07:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by blkstang06
How right you are!......The Ford execs better come down out of their Ivory Tower and smell the exhaust fumes! because when the retro Camero comes out in 09 they'll remember how baby boomer's liked them too!......Thats when the show will get interesting....
Yeah, the late 60's RS/SS Camaros were the hit at Palm Beach, weren't they? A little pre-speculative buying from the collector crowd in anticipation for late 2008?
Old 4/1/07 | 09:09 AM
GT Member

Brad, can you make the high resolution images from Ford Media available for download?
Old 4/1/07 | 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Airwolf
That's a nice hood. Unfortunatley if it's made by Shelby, they probably won't offer it for sale, same as the Shelby GT hood scoop and emblems, because they don't want people to "clone" their precious limited edition mustangs.
The CS6 hood is for sale by them.

Quick Reply: Ford Shelby GT500KR ‘King Of The Road’ Returns in 2008