Ford Shelby GT500KR ‘King Of The Road’ Returns in 2008

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/07, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
Yeah, the late 60's RS/SS Camaros were the hit at Palm Beach, weren't they? A little pre-speculative buying from the collector crowd in anticipation for late 2008?

Did you see the two 07' GT500's. Coupe went for $62,700 and the convertible went for $93,500.
Old 4/1/07, 10:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05retro
Did you see the two 07' GT500's. Coupe went for $62,700 and the convertible went for $93,500.
I rewound back to 427/428 and they both went during commercial. What's so special about the vert? It said on B-J.com that it was produced in 10/06. So, it can't be one of the first few.
Old 4/1/07, 11:59 AM
Cobra Member

While the KR is a nice piece, it is yet another unattainable Mustang for the masses destined to be used solely as a "collectible". When is Ford going to produce a performance car for the masses? The Mustang has survived the test of time by delivering affordable performance for everyone, the GT500 and it's derivatives are aimed solely at wealthy customer's and not the working class.
Old 4/1/07, 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I rewound back to 427/428 and they both went during commercial. What's so special about the vert? It said on B-J.com that it was produced in 10/06. So, it can't be one of the first few.
Yeah I would have liked to see them go as well. All I know is that some dealers are going to see that price and still think that 20-30k is the correct "market adujustment" even this late in the game.
Old 4/1/07, 04:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by MustangFanatic
While the KR is a nice piece, it is yet another unattainable Mustang for the masses destined to be used solely as a "collectible". When is Ford going to produce a performance car for the masses? The Mustang has survived the test of time by delivering affordable performance for everyone, the GT500 and it's derivatives are aimed solely at wealthy customer's and not the working class.
I wish they'd bring back Colletti as a consultant for SVT. Under his leadership, SVT had a direction and was about making well-rounded vehicles. I'd love to see a true SVT product with an IRS rear, big brakes, aero package, and a 5.4L N/A engine that screams to 7K putting out 420ish hp. Throw in some lightweight parts and set a goal of 3350 as the curb weight. Sell it for 37,500 and it would be a real winner in my book.
Old 4/1/07, 04:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want that hood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! William, are you seeing this???????? Looks just like what we have been wanting. I'll be shocked if the production hood looks anything like it.
Old 4/1/07, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mrdci
I'd pick up a GT500 at MSRP and throw that hood on it and fix the rear badge and thats all you need. THey already have dash panels for the GT500 and you can get better suspension from the aftermarket.
You are reading my mind. The hood, "SHELBY" letters for the rear and maybe Corsa exhaust and an intake breather and its about done. My plan for my GT500.
Old 4/1/07, 09:06 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by kevinb120
The higher price of the GT500 has substantially raised the resale of 03/04 cobras.
In california, terminators are as cheap as ever.
Old 4/2/07, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by max2000jp
I wish they'd bring back Colletti as a consultant for SVT. Under his leadership, SVT had a direction and was about making well-rounded vehicles. I'd love to see a true SVT product with an IRS rear, big brakes, aero package, and a 5.4L N/A engine that screams to 7K putting out 420ish hp. Throw in some lightweight parts and set a goal of 3350 as the curb weight. Sell it for 37,500 and it would be a real winner in my book.
I'm totally with you here, I liked the direction of SVT under Colletti, in making well rounded truly world-class cars at a very reasonable price. Given the huge constraints of turning the ancient pig's ear of a chassis the old Fox platform was, he did remarkably well and I can only imagine what he would have wrought with the fresh new canvas the current platform is.

The current GT500 and GT500KR seem to be replicating the ever increasing bloat in weight, power and price that marked the original versions and eventually doomed them. Sure, the old war horses command a lot in the auction world, but that's more a factor of rarity and nostalgia than any intrinsic technical excellence - even back in the day, they were known for being a bit porky with the nose-heavy weight dulling the impressive HP of the 427/428s and resulting in mediocre handling and braking performance of the aging chassis.

Perhaps true to authenticity of spirit, that's not an inaccurate description of today's car in many, if not all, ways. The chassis is certainly much newer, relatively, but hampered by a rather dated rear suspension configuration.

Rumors of Control-Blade IRS, 5.0 Jag motors, and other real performance enhancements give be hope that Ford will concentrate less on playing off past image and glories of the Stang and, instead, develop the Stang to create new capabilities, glories and image.
Old 4/2/07, 05:54 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by rhumb
The current GT500 and GT500KR seem to be replicating the ever increasing bloat in weight, power and price that marked the original versions and eventually doomed them. Sure, the old war horses command a lot in the auction world, but that's more a factor of rarity and nostalgia than any intrinsic technical excellence - even back in the day, they were known for being a bit porky with the nose-heavy weight dulling the impressive HP of the 427/428s and resulting in mediocre handling and braking performance of the aging chassis.

Perhaps true to authenticity of spirit, that's not an inaccurate description of today's car in many, if not all, ways. The chassis is certainly much newer, relatively, but hampered by a rather dated rear suspension configuration.
Sadly it belies the hope that fundamental change is afoot in this company. The old guard are apparently still around, and still clinging to - and apparently implementing - their pleistocene strategy of "make a quick buck today and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow."

Unfortunately, that is largely what has gotten Ford into the mess they're in today. The Brits have an expression for it: "Penny-wise and Pound foolish."

Originally Posted by rhumb
Rumors of Control-Blade IRS, 5.0 Jag motors, and other real performance enhancements give be hope that Ford will concentrate less on playing off past image and glories of the Stang and, instead, develop the Stang to create new capabilities, glories and image.
I'm excited about this, too, though with a caveat >> Jaguar haven't exactly been known for sterling reliability, and with all the problems the beleaguered Panthera onca has had of late, I wonder how they're going to pull this off. On the other hand, perhaps the closer working relationship and supplying of power trains to Ford may actually bolster the fortunes of the storied British make.

As to the IRS vs. SRA debate, I think we can all agree that IRS is technologically and dynamically superior for most real world driving conditions, in most cases. But I think it's fair to point out to you, also, that this ain't the same SRA that was in cars 40 years ago. It's been evolved significantly over the years, and is probably the most sophisticated SRA on the market today - good enough that most drivers would never be able to tell the difference. And once you learn its attributes, SRAs are very predictable in the way they react to given conditions and input. More predictable, in fact, than a high-strung IRS.

I will concede, however, that over broken pavement, IRS will offer a more settled ride, and better dynamic control when taking a spirited corner on rough roads.
Old 4/2/07, 07:08 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
... The Brits have an expression for it: "Penny-wise and Pound foolish."
The Brits can be critical all they want but they lack the authority of expertise when it comes to muscle cars.
Old 4/2/07, 07:41 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
The Brits can be critical all they want but they lack the authority of expertise when it comes to muscle cars.
Well, that's not the reason I was employing that quote.

I was referring to Ford's time-honored strategy of putting all their eggs in one basket and not planning for the future.

And remember, TVRs and Aston Martins have always been pretty muscular.
Old 4/2/07, 08:15 PM

why does ford let them mark up??

I don't get it, why do they mark them up and sell less? If you have 60K, you can order a Z06 Vette., no begging required, no extra cash, We want a vert Shelby so bad, but do you give 20% extra just to buy one new? Someone needs to stop the crap at Ford dealers and sell some snakes......not let the snakes sell the Stangs.....sorry. 7 Ford owner.
Old 4/2/07, 09:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Tell it Brother!!!
Old 4/2/07, 11:10 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Cali07
I don't get it, why do they mark them up and sell less? If you have 60K, you can order a Z06 Vette., no begging required, no extra cash, We want a vert Shelby so bad, but do you give 20% extra just to buy one new? Someone needs to stop the crap at Ford dealers and sell some snakes......not let the snakes sell the Stangs.....sorry. 7 Ford owner.
First you gotta get rid of the snakes (working) at the dealerships.
Old 4/2/07, 11:23 PM

I might just need that hood
Old 4/3/07, 05:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Cali07
Ford did this on purpose. Had they left the cars in the hands of the certified SVT dealers, each eligible dealer would be getting more cars and slowing the ADM train.
Old 4/3/07, 08:56 AM
Cobra Member

we should email them and ask them what happened to the afordable pony car, not that the V6,GT, and shelby GT's arent affordable but what about all the die-hard members on here that may not be the richest people in town? ohh well i guess all we can say is..those pics look nice
Old 4/3/07, 08:01 PM

Have you driven a Ford lately ? I hear everyone saying how nose heavy this car is and how it will get blown away by a Z06. I think that people read to much MT or CD and take that as gospel. First of all it's a muscle car, not a sports car. But I can tell you for not having a IRS it handles very good. SVT did a nice job on the GT500 and like the Cobra before it, it is under rated. With a CAI, pulley, cat backs and tune your looking at 600 RWHP. I have not found one Z06 that will even try me yet and I am out every weekend looking. Z06 are for old men who just want to look cool in a Vette IMHO. The GT500KR will be a tuner car with the parts out of the Ford racing catalog. The GT500 is a working mans car it just may take working a little overtime to afford one. The prices will come down they always do. It's ether pay now and play or wait a play later.
Old 4/3/07, 10:12 PM
FR500 Member

^ I'd have to work 2 jobs and OT to "afford" the ridiculous asking prices which don't seem to want to come down any appreciable amount. No thanks.

Quick Reply: Ford Shelby GT500KR ‘King Of The Road’ Returns in 2008